Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What writers need to understand about Spider-man.

• 73 results
    Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@jimishim12 said:

@ariesxmasters said:

I think Spider-man is fine as is.

He was never really written to be a super serious character like Batman. He has always been a guys who likes to joke around, and gets humiliated and makes people laugh that has always been his appeal as a character and I see no reason to change him up.

But's he's not Deadpool, who's concept is just sheer comedy and wackiness. Spiderman used to be badass for his type of class of hero. The guy who got into a fight with both the xmen and the avengers and won.

I've always thought of Spider-man as a funny some what goofy character. No one except maybe comic vine cares about trying to make him some super serious bad ass that he is not written to be like.

I personally wouldn't care for Marvel trying to write Spider-man to be stronger and take on groups of other heroes like the avengers and stuff. The guy is good as is he is made to be funny, make jokes ,and have some tongue and cheek humor sometimes like the example posted.

I disagree. The problem is this new perception that you and some other new fans seem to have, that he is a goofy wackjob - he is a witty, superHERO. Jokes are an integral part of his character, but he himself is not a joke - he is one of the most formidable opponents in the MU - the contrast personality-wise vs powers-wise makes him cool to read.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@blackspidey2099:

I disagree. The problem is this new perception that you and some other new fans seem to have, that he is a goofy wackjob - he is a witty, superHERO. Jokes are an integral part of his character, but he himself is not a joke - he is one of the most formidable opponents in the MU - the contrast personality-wise vs powers-wise makes him cool to read.

Hmmm . . I don't think he is a whack job I just think his silly/goofy humor has always been big appeal of the character, and Marvel trying to make him a super serious Batman character wouldn't just sit right and a sudden transformation of the character would feel forced. Spider-man has always seemed to be written as a kid friendly hero(Unlike say Batman, or Batgirl characters who are very dark, and take everything very seriously) my little 3 year old cousin loves spider-man because he is so kid friendly, makes silly jokes, never taken anything seriously, and just funny things happen to him so often he can't help but love the guy.

Annnh how powerful or formidable you feel he is, is up to you, and doesn't matter to Me, and probably doesn't matter anywhere else besides maybe Comicvine's Battle Forum. I just don't like when people on here try to make him serious on here when he isn't. I don't care if you feel he is more formidable than Galactus he is still generally a goofy, kid friendly character (Which there is nothing wrong with that, that is a very appealing thing about him IMO).

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By magnetic_eye
    @ariesxmasters said:

@blackspidey2099:

Hmmm . . I don't think he is a whack job I just think his silly/goofy humor has always been big appeal of the character, and Marvel trying to make him a super serious Batman character wouldn't just sit right and a sudden transformation of the character would feel forced. Spider-man has always seemed to be written as a kid friendly hero(Unlike say Batman, or Batgirl characters who are very dark, and take everything very seriously) my little 3 year old cousin loves spider-man because he is so kid friendly, makes silly jokes, never taken anything seriously, and just funny things happen to him so often he can't help but love the guy.

Annnh how powerful or formidable you feel he is, is up to you, and doesn't matter to Me, and probably doesn't matter anywhere else besides maybe Comicvine's Battle Forum. I just don't like when people on here try to make him serious on here when he isn't. I don't care if you feel he is more formidable than Galactus he is still generally a goofy, kid friendly character (Which there is nothing wrong with that, that is a very appealing thing about him IMO).

"I just think his silly/goofy humor has always been big appeal of the character" / "I just don't like when people on here try to make him serious on here when he isn't"

I would have to disagree but only to a point. Spider-Man's character isn't defined by silly/goofy humor, that trend has been overly emphasized during the last decade especially by the Ultimate cartoon TV show and poor writing on the ASM title. It also comes down to how many Spider-Man titles you have actually read.

The point being is that for decades Spider-Man has been a mature 28 year old super hero who uses witty humor, not silly or goofy. It's Peter's quick sense to respond with witty banter in the heat of the battle, in the most ironic of situations and to express humor it in a way that makes others see or feel the same thing. There is a big difference between using wit and being silly and goofy.

For me the definitive incarnation of Spider-Man's character is that of Peter as a likeable person who is easy to resonate with. It's about Pete's journey in life, of responsibility, learning from his mistakes and being a role model. It is not a sitcom.

"Marvel Adventures Spider-Man" was a comic book series intended for all ages, especially children which ran from 2005 - 2010. I would love to see Marvel bring that title back. I purchased all of them for my kids and they love them.

The constant injection of juvenile humor into the mainstream title and deconstruction of Peter Parker making him a parody of his former self, makes it even harder to enjoy this current version of Spidey. I have mentioned in many posts, that Spider-Man comics used to be about more than just light-hearted comedic fun. I like the jokey wisecracking Spider-Man too, but I miss the Spider-Man stories that used to be balanced out with some serious drama, action, in depth characterizations, and the occasional slice of life realism.

Darker, grittier tales should not be confused with making comparisons to Batman comics either.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye:

"I just think his silly/goofy humor has always been big appeal of the character" / "I just don't like when people on here try to make him serious on here when he isn't"

I would have to disagree but only to a point. Spider-Man's character isn't defined by silly/goofy humor, that trend has been overly emphasized during the last decade especially by the Ultimate cartoon TV show and poor writing on the ASM title. It also comes down to how many Spider-Man titles you have actually read.

The point being is that for decades Spider-Man has been a mature 28 year old super hero who uses witty humor, not silly or goofy. It's Peter's quick sense to respond with witty banter in the heat of the battle, in the most ironic of situations and to express humor it in a way that makes others see or feel the same thing.

For me the definitive incarnation of Spider-Man's character is that of Peter as a likeable person who is easy to resonate with. It's about Pete's journey in life, of responsibility, learning from his mistakes and being a role model. It is not a sitcom.

"Marvel Adventures Spider-Man" was a comic book series intended for all ages, especially children which ran from 2005 - 2010. I would love to see Marvel bring that title back. I purchased all of them for my kids and they love them.

The constant injection of juvenile humor into the mainstream title and deconstruction of Peter Parker making him a parody of his former self, makes it even harder to enjoy this current version of Spidey. I have mentioned in many posts, that Spider-Man comics used to be about more than just light-hearted comedic fun. I like the jokey wisecracking Spider-Man too, but I miss the Spider-Man stories that used to be balanced out with some serious drama, action, in depth characterizations, and the occasional slice of life realism.

Darker, grittier tales should not be confused with making comparisons to Batman comics either.

Hmmm I see. What you feel is "poor writing" I find appropriate for a character like Spider-man. I read The Amazing Spider-man(A while ago mind you), but I liked that series, and thought there were some pretty silly moments that made me laugh. Same goes for Ultimate Spider-man when I put it on for my little cousin.

I guess it depends on how you want to portray the character. I the Amazing Spider-man was fine specially when it came to some of humor parts, but I guess if you don't like humor Spider-man than you won't like that.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man has always been the underdog of Marvel. It's been going on for a while and I don't see it changing.

Before 'One More Day', Peter was finally not only getting the respect he earned over all this years but also he was taking his responsibilities to a whole new level.

Then they simply wiped the slate clean, not giving a f*** about the fans. Which was when I stopped reading Spider-Man comics altogether, and only restarted with the events of Spider Island.

Peter could be so much more, and he should be up there, with characters like the Hulk, Thor, Fantastic Four, and others. But he's always brought down to his knees.

Otto screw is life over and when he was starting to pickup the pieces, Spider-Verse happens. And again almost everything landed on his shoulders to lead the fight. And he did. Quite well in fact. And what was his reward... NOTHING. He got nothing out of it except more problems. Because now we know that Otto knew that he was gonna lose Peter body, and I still remember that during the fight he initiated some kind of protocol that given the timeframe he established, might have been a hint that Otto is coming back.

So again we see him being thrown around like a tenis ball. Which shows a total lack of respect for the character and the fans of the character.

Maybe what Peter needs, is a real mental breakdown, like the one Banner had. And go all evil and stuff. Maybe then he'll get the respect he deserves.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey should not have problems with batman level opponents and look stupid, period. It's a disservice to the character and takes from his superpowered aspects and capabilities. He's a Superhero for crying out loud, writers write him like an incompetent fool to all sorts of peak human superbeings like Steve Rogers, Logan, Matt Murdock, every shield operative, and most of the fucking crime lords he fights because writers mistake being incompetence for being grounded. And it's just sad Peter up until slot had so much arbitary shit he couldn't handle both in life and as a hero, never making the most out of his potential or his abilities. Winging it barely, scratching the service and just making small victories is okay for balanced quantities for Spider-Man, but it shouldn't be the foundation of the character. It also makes him inconsistent, he can beat up heralds and make shit reed Richards style, but he can't stomp on Captain America, stop the chameleon, or keep a job as a teacher for either science or even a scientist. And before you say, that's just how relatable that makes him, and I say stop being retarded, that's not reliability that's sheer ineptitude and carelessness. And this guy Is supposed to be the trademark idealistic underdog whos idealism is supposed to help children both in universe and out. Cap doesn't have anything that measures up to that.

And another thing, stop making Spidey(Whenever he mocks humself) a fucking wussbag punchline(his own jokes to himself) to heroines(or any attractive woman) and stronger opponents, make him like Stan the Man made him, a extremely cocky and unflappable comedian that is virtually untouchable and self assured about what to do before he battles also a bit of a flirt but immature smooth talker like again Stan made him. I can easily tell now that writers like using as a stereotypical wimpy nerd to express his witty taunts plus each of his one liners is laced with self doubt and stuff that feels he's not a real superhero but like Dave "Kickass" Livewski a fanboy wannabe out of his league and there to comment on shit trying to convince himself he's funny and badass to the others.... when in reality he's just a bich made loser which is why I don't like Slott for this. Spidey being more assertive like in Big Time, Back in Black and End of the Earth is the kinda spidey I want.

This! So much, many of the people I discuss comics with only read post new avengers appearances of spider-man and have no clue that he is a flarking boss

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm I see. What you feel is "poor writing" I find appropriate for a character like Spider-man. I read The Amazing Spider-man(A while ago mind you), but I liked that series, and thought there were some pretty silly moments that made me laugh. Same goes for Ultimate Spider-man when I put it on for my little cousin.

I guess it depends on how you want to portray the character. I the Amazing Spider-man was fine specially when it came to some of humor parts, but I guess if you don't like humor Spider-man than you won't like that.

not saying your opinion is wrong, but I feel that you have a very inaccurate view of the character as a whole. Perhaps versions of him you have read reflect the goofball, "oops look what I did" "lolkatz" ideas you say you view as spider-man, but in his 50+ years, the majority of the time he was NOT written like that(hell, apart from the past 7 years at Marvel and the USM show, I have no clue where you are getting your interpretation). He was the sarcastic, intelligent loner that was both relatable and something to aspire to.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way I see it, Spider-Man is forever the "wimp" stereotype nerds have about themselves in a sense he's never gonna take his own acts or persuits directly and seriously, because he's not naturally a tough, ambitious or assertive man, he's not like Batman, Superman, Captain America, Ben Grim, Daredevil or even Deadpool; all of which grew up to make themselves gritty and resolute in convictions and confidence. Peter started off as a doormat and a coward which is still present in his character today because he's always on the edge of his seat stressed when he's facing any danger despite his experience, he was also a complete mockery of true heroic integrity being he never acted on sheer logic or resolve but the guilt and the fear of his mistakes. Peter treats life as a series of linked burdens chained together from his actions as Peter and Spider-Man. He never saw himself a person big enough to leap ahead at life, and kept himself at the center of the world reacting towards the responsibilities he works towards and the actions of others. When he's has to act proactively towards something like a goal or a cause, he is forced to be away from his comfort zone and basically has to man up to do just enough to get by but dread the possibility of failure in the process.

I guess this makes him the most human superhero in fiction, but is that really a good idea? From surpressing Peter's fundamental nature as a ideal, he fails to grow or even become more than he is. ANd superheroes still at the end of the dya have to win or triumph from any obstacle because we put our hopes and dreams in their success as a gateway to appeal reality from the imagination.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc said:

@zarius: To each his own. However, what story or writer would you consider the best example of Spidey's humor?

JMS and Peter David are quite witty writers, DeFalco also could lend Peter a good little quip

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By The_Waffle

Peter wasn't even written poorly in Sins Past. The only person out of character was Gwen really. If Gwen didn't cheat and Osborn wasn't the father it wouldn't be that bad.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Peter wasn't even written poorly in Sins Past. The only person out of character was Gwen really. If Gwen didn't cheat and Osborn wasn't the father it wouldn't be that bad.

Well, that's the reason everyone hates it, lol.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter is trying to keep up to Deadpool in being a funny and epic superhero now, when he used to be the king of being those and unrivaled in being a entertaining hero with a entertaining cast. But Wade is killing it now so Marvel has to make Spiderman look to what makes Deadpool successful which is why he's more goofy and silly nowadays.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter is not trying to keep up with Deadpool. Deadpool is his own character with the whole breaking the 4th wall style of humor.

Spider-Man's history has never employed that style of writing. When does Spider-Man break the 4th wall?

I would put any similarity down to incompetent writers trying desperately to portray Peter OOC with silly goofy humor.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: Give it a few more writers and someone will state that it was a Gwen clone or a double of Gwen's or Gwens cousin who was investigating Osbourne or something. They always retconn stuff.

Seriously, I agree with everything you are saying. Alot of writers kinda try to force SpiderMan to be somethings he is not....like they somehow learned everything about spiderman and how to write him from really reeeeeaaally bad fanfiction.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jimishim12

@magnetic_eye said:

Peter is not trying to keep up with Deadpool. Deadpool is his own character with the whole breaking the 4th wall style of humor.

Spider-Man's history has never employed that style of writing. When does Spider-Man break the 4th wall?

I would put any similarity down to incompetent writers trying desperately to portray Peter OOC with silly goofy humor.

He leaned on the forth wall alot in old issues of Web of Spiderman(comic issue), and FYI Deadpool doesn't own the 4th wall style of humor, Spider-Man broke the forth wall in Amazing Spiderman issue in his ditko says on page and on a cover.

You understand that Spidey and Deadpool are more than just coincidental in thier styles, they are mostly the same with Deadpool being an exagerration and Spider-Man being the original. Plus Peter is and will always be a media savvy hero and aimed for kids at his most basic, theres nothing OOC about him being overly silly because he is a concept that invokes pure comedic adolescence with few mature quirks.

The guy played pranks with Johnny Storm and trolled him back, made a Black Joke in court and got into a yo mama fight with Deadpool because he could all when he was married.

PS: I hope Spidey leans more on a meta sense about his sucky reboots making jokes and comedy with in his new movie, are people gonna accuse him of ripping off Deadpool for this, maybe but then again, he's done this type of before Deadpool was a thought.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:

He leaned on the forth wall alot in old issues of Web of Spiderman(comic issue), and FYI Deadpool doesn't own the 4th wall style of humor, Spider-Man broke the forth wall in Amazing Spiderman issue in his ditko says on page and on a cover.

You understand that Spidey and Deadpool are more than just coincidental in thier styles, they are mostly the same with Deadpool being an exagerration and Spider-Man being the original. Plus Peter is and will always be a media savvy hero and aimed for kids at his most basic, theres nothing OOC about him being overly silly because he is a concept that invokes pure comedic adolescence with few mature quirks.

The guy played pranks with Johnny Storm and trolled him back, made a Black Joke in court and got into a yo mama fight with Deadpool because he could all when he was married.

PS: I hope Spidey leans more on a meta sense about his sucky reboots making jokes and comedy with in his new movie, are people gonna accuse him of ripping off Deadpool for this, maybe but then again, he's done this type of before Deadpool was a thought.

I own the entire run of WOS and ASM. Can you name which issues please?

Spider-man has never actually broken the fourth wall, he is very well known for sometimes talking to himself and narrating his thoughts and emotions, but it is not breaking the fourth wall.

theres nothing OOC about him being overly silly because he is a concept that invokes pure comedic adolescence with few mature quirks.

Wrong on so many levels dude. Obviously the Ultimate kiddies Spider-Man cartoon is tailor made for your tastes. You yourself admitted on another post that you've only read around 300 issues of ASM and I'm assuming they're all post OMD. Spider-man is one of the first heroes to actively use wit and sarcasm in his crime fighting, but it is not breaking the fourth wall.

Spider-Man's concept has always been about being a progressive super hero, not a regressive immature, campy goofball.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye:

I said he leaned on the fourth wall. And yes he did break the forth wall on a cover.

http://i.imgur.com/4D2YzW0.jpg

The word progress and spiderman don't usually go together, hes marvels whipping boy and clown for a reason, this whole gets his act together was adreesed by me a couple pages ago or in other pages and i don't want to bring them up again.

And being a ceo is pretty big sign of progress, more so than anything peter has achieved in his life.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye:

I said he leaned on the fourth wall. And yes he did break the forth wall on a cover.

The word progress and spiderman don't usually go together, hes marvels whipping boy and clown for a reason, this whole gets his act together was adreesed by me a couple pages ago or in other pages and i don't want to bring them up again.

And being a ceo is pretty big sign of progress, more so than anything peter has achieved in his life.

No Caption Provided

You're kidding right? This isn't a cover, it's two characters talking to one another. How in your intellectually challenged mind is this breaking the fourth wall?

Spider-Man's whole life from the very beginning was about progress. "With great power comes great responsibility" Not just from ASM but also from other Spider-Man titles, many of which you haven't read. OMD undid all of that continuity with the stupid demon deal.

Yes, being a CEO is a pretty big sign of progress. Too bad the execution of how he got there is pathetic with the writing being the title's biggest handicap.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Waffle

How is that breaking the forth wall? If anything the writer's having a playful jab at resurrecting dead characters.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kcomicfan

So Spider-Man should be how you want him to be...no.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ZariusII

@kcomicfan said:

Yeah, let's not give Joe Public what they want, that's a sure-fire method for success[/sarcasm]

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Yeah, let's not give Joe Public what they want, that's a sure-fire method for success[/sarcasm]

There is a difference between what the public wants and what one person wants. And the fact that Amazing Spider-Man is selling really well tells me that "Joe Public" is getting what he wants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.