What was the original purpose behind giving Spiderman webshooters

#1 Posted by digitalzeitgeist (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Why didn't Stan Lee just allow him to have organic web shooters in the first place? He was already bitten by the spider, would it be that far-fetched to throw in web slinging to the list of powers it gave him? I think he must have considered it and decided to go with mechanical shooters, no? What do you guys think he was thinking?

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, for one thing, It was a chance to show off Peters scientific prowess, also, it would have probably seemed kind of gross if he produced webbing, the 60's were a different time.

In the long run it actually made for better storytelling since sometimes Peter runs out of fluid and has to improvise

#3 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

The webshooters and other gadgets in the Marvel universe were created by Steve Ditko.

And it prefer that over the organic web shotters because adds "creative" feats on the character making him smarter, I prefer that idea, also if he had organic webshotters they would not be in his hands.

#4 Posted by digitalzeitgeist (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Weird way to show scientific prowess; also he could have made it so he could run out of organic webbing. I haven't considered that it was the 60's, that's an interesting answer.

#5 Edited by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

In the long run it actually made for better storytelling since sometimes Peter runs out of fluid and has to improvise

They rarely use that in comics.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (25453 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, for one thing, It was a chance to show off Peters scientific prowess, also, it would have probably seemed kind of gross if he produced webbing, the 60's were a different time. 

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle said:

They rarely use that in comics.

Really??...for shame writers, I always thought it was awesome on televison shows, but he usually just got out of the situation in some simplistic manner anyways  :"I'll just bounce off this flagpole"......how creative

@digitalzeitgeist said:

@cattlebattle: Weird way to show scientific prowess; also he could have made it so he could run out of organic webbing. I haven't considered that it was the 60's, that's an interesting answer.

Not so weird, Peter is supposed to be a prodigal scientist and chemist. What better way to show this off then him manufacturing a substance than no one could replicate, and incorporating it into his Spider gimmick

#8 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Really??...for shame writers, I always thought it was awesome on televison shows, but he usually just got out of the situation in some simplistic manner anyways :"I'll just bounce off this flagpole"......how creative

Yeah, but they can't use that excuse ALWAYS, I mean, think in that excuse over the years, "Oh Peter, you are a genius but you haven't improved your damn webshotters"...

It was cool in cartoons, but if Peter is a genius, over the years he would also have memorized how much web is in his webshotters, I always thought that it was a stupid coincidence that when he needs it the MOST, is when he has not web, at the end, is just crap in storytelling.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

The webshooters and other gadgets in the Marvel universe were created by Steve Ditko.

And it prefer that over the organic web shotters because adds "creative" feats on the character making him smarter, I prefer that idea, also if he had organic webshotters they would not be in his hands.

Was just gonna say this.

#10 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yeah, just imagine the web coming out of your butt, MAN!!! THAT IS JUST DISGUSTING!!!

#11 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle said:

It was cool in cartoons, but if Peter is a genius, over the years he would also have memorized how much web is in his webshotters, I always thought that it was a stupid coincidence that when he needs it the MOST, is when he has not web, at the end, is just crap in storytelling.

Well in fairness, if you had a lighter you wouldn't always know the exact amount of fluid in it, you could guess...but 9/0 times you might miscalculate, I do not think its that far fetched...If it happens too often it does get bland though
#12 Posted by digitalzeitgeist (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: well there are dozens of ways of showing he's a great scientist without changing his "super" powers. Although a lot of people prefer webshooters I personally think it's because that's how it was originally so they create reasons to support it. If Spiderman were to have organic web-shooters from the start I highly doubt anyone would be arguing that he should have been created with mechanical shooters. It created a limitation for spiderman when he could have had constant web being produced yet he decided it would be a good idea to have him equipped with mechanical shooters to emphasize his scientific prowess? That's what I meant by weird. It's like having wolverine equipped with a brass knuckle type thing rather than having them come out of his hands.

@Deadcool: I don't think anyone would complain about where it came out from, if so, they might as well complain he doesn't have 8 legs.

#13 Posted by digitalzeitgeist (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Meh i don't think that's a fair comparison, lighters are common, people lose them and don't really care about how much is left. They just buy a couple and smoke, peter relies on his webshooters for his life on a daily basis and he's a genius.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@Gambit1024: Yeah, just imagine the web coming out of your butt, MAN!!! THAT IS JUST DISGUSTING!!!

I could've sworn that I heard that when James Cameron wrote his Spider-Man screenplay a long time ago, he said that he explored this further. Thank God he didn't get the chance, lol.

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@digitalzeitgeist said:

@cattlebattle: Meh i don't think that's a fair comparison, lighters are common, people lose them and don't really care about how much is left. They just buy a couple and smoke, peter relies on his webshooters for his life on a daily basis and he's a genius.

I used lighter as an example because you cannot really see into them and sometimes can still get fluid from it even when it looks to be gone, I using this  example as Web cartridges can be functionally similar
#16 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Well in fairness, if you had a lighter you wouldn't always know the exact amount of fluid in it, you could guess...but 9/0 times you might miscalculate, I do not think its that far fetched...If it happens too often it does get bland though

Well, he is a genius, and he uses his web to fight, he needs to memorize how much shots he has, as a policeman that memorizes the weight if his pistol.

@digitalzeitgeist said:

I don't think anyone would complain about where it came out from, if so, they might as well complain he doesn't have 8 legs.

Sixties...

#17 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I could've sworn that I heard that when James Cameron wrote his Spider-Man screenplay a long time ago, he said that he explored this further. Thank God he didn't get the chance, lol.

... I have no face to post for that...

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle said:

Well, he is a genius, and he uses his web to fight, he needs to memorize how much shots he has, as a policeman that memorizes the weight if his pistol.

Ah, yes, but in a serious situation I'm willing to bet an officer could forget how many bullets he has left in his gun, and I think even geniuses can make mistakes
#19 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Ah, yes, but in a serious situation I'm willing to bet an officer could forget how many bullets he has left in his gun, and I think even geniuses can make mistakes

A genius has more control over his emotions than a regular police man, and he uses the web ALL THE TIME, to transport himself, to fight, etc.

Maybe in the first storylines he would forget about it, but now, damn, it would be stupid.

#20 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle said:

A genius has more control over his emotions than a regular police man, and he uses the web ALL THE TIME, to transport himself, to fight, etc.

Maybe in the first storylines he would forget about it, but now, damn, it would be stupid.

IDK, it was just hypothetical, realistically a soldier...who uses his gun all the time might lose track of his ammunition count every once in a while, and honestly, I do not think being a genius gives you a heightened control of emotions or anything.....thats a strange fact

oh well, Who cares,
#21 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

IDK, it was just hypothetical, realistically a soldier...who uses his gun all the time might lose track of his ammunition count every once in a while, and honestly, I do not think being a genius gives you a heightened control of emotions or anything.....thats a strange fact

With a genius, his actions rely on logic more than his emotions, Peter would not loss himself in emotions in the middle of the battle, unless the stress has moved him to that, and a soldier uses his weapons just for killing in just one war, in a certian number of battles, Spider-man uses his web 24/7 since he was a 15 years old boy.

oh well, Who cares.

... =(

#22 Posted by cattlebattle (13151 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@cattlebattle said:

With a genius, his actions rely on logic more than his emotions, Peter would not loss himself in emotions in the middle of the battle, unless the stress has moved him to that, and a soldier uses his weapons just for killing in just one war, in a certian number of battles, Spider-man uses his web 24/7 since he was a 15 years old boy.

I'm pretty sure Spidey has lost emotional control before, he has almost killed and had to hold back because he let his emotions get the better of him...you know, like a normal person......What I'm saying is genius or not, being highly intelligent doesn't give you some sort of ability to control anger or fear...

He doesn't use them 24/7, he is not using them sleeping, or working, when going out as Peter Parker, he only uses them when he is Spider-Man
#23 Posted by Deadcool (6817 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

I'm pretty sure Spidey has lost emotional control before, he has almost killed and had to hold back because he let his emotions get the better of him...you know, like a normal person......

Deepends on the writers...

What I'm saying is genius or not, being highly intelligent doesn't give you some sort of ability to control anger or fear...

...And the average writer is not that smart...

He doesn't use them 24/7, he is not using them sleeping,

Sometimes he is Spider-man at night, but yeah, he sleeps, what I meant is that he uses his web a lot of time, don't take it literal.

or working

A couple of years ago his work used to be photographer or "take pictures, pictures of Spider-man" or also take pictures of himself while recuing people, now he is a researcher and he makes inventions for his boss, or also, makes gadgets for himself to fight crime.

when going out as Peter Parker, he only uses them when he is Spider-Man

Well, unlike Batman, the life of Peter Parker is kind of mixed with his alter-ego, a typical day of Peter Parker includes being Spider-man; for example...

As teenager (Ultimate Spider-man and 60's Spider-man):

• Wakes up, eats his breakfast, Aunt may goes out.
  • Puts suit on and goes to the school with his backpack.
  • Saves/helps people in the way.In the school he is studying unless...
  • ...Something happens, gives an excuce like "I am going to the bathroom" (MJ or any other friend helps him with this).
  • Fights against the threat.
  • Returns, finish the day of school.
  • Puts suit on, goes to his house, fights against a random threat on the way.
  • Returns to his home late and he is grounded. Study the whole night.

As an adult (average Spider-man 616 comicbook):

• Wakes up, he would probably eat nothing because he has no money.
  • Goes to his job spinning web, fights with a random threat in the way.
  • He is late, his boss yells at him, and his boss gives him... well... work to do.
  • If something happens in the city, he becomes Spider-man and finnish with the threat.
  • Returns with something for his boss (pictures).
  • Goes home as Spider-man, fights with threats in the night, he probably eats something as Spider-man, like a hotdog, a hamburger or chinese food.
  • Returns home, with a couple of hours to sleep.

*Uses web

#24 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

They wanted to show how scientific he was, and expand on how smart he could be.

#25 Posted by SlackerGuy (20 posts) - - Show Bio

He has also used different types of web fluid for different situations. Also, it was originally a good means of transportation. They give him a way to get across NYC and provide the perfect excuse for him to hang out on rooftops.

#26 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

In one interview, I remember Stan Lee gave him web-shooters because he couldn't really believe that Peter could shoot webs on his own.

#27 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

#28 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@SlackerGuy said:

He has also used different types of web fluid for different situations. Also, it was originally a good means of transportation. They give him a way to get across NYC and provide the perfect excuse for him to hang out on rooftops.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.