What was the first Spider-Man comic you read?

#1 Posted by BenReally (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi long time reader first time poster etc etc.

Not sure if this question has already been asked (did a quick search couldn’t find anything) but what was the first issue of Spider-Man you read and what made you pick it up? My one was ASM 400 - *Spoiler from 18 years ago* Death of Aunt May. It was also leading into the Clone Saga and so it was quite confusing trying to figure out why there were 3 Peter Parkers but after a few issues I figured it out.

I remember I was 13 yrs old at my local newsagency and I actually wanted to buy a copy of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition but the store owner kept eyeing me out and I panicked and I just picked up the first thing I saw which was that Spider-Man comic. Best mistake Ive made ever. Been a fan ever since

#2 Edited by Squalleon (4686 posts) - - Show Bio

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

The first issue of Spider-Man's Tangled Web...where he meets The Thousand.

Freaked the crap out of me as a kid.

#4 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure the issue but it was spider man caught fighting Morbius and The Lizard... as a kid it was kind of scary to see

#5 Edited by Rossnrachel4ever (82 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember the issue number but it was the last of an arc where Peter was fighting the Puma.

#6 Posted by Mrgreenlantern (661 posts) - - Show Bio

@benreally: wow i came in here to say my first issue was 400 i guess its safe to say that issue helped new fans jump onto the ben bandwagon

#7 Posted by JasonHawke (1544 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spiderman: Issue 1....

Yep, im not kidding.

#8 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spiderman: Issue 1....

Yep, im not kidding.

That says a lot, you do not have the connection to Peter that others have.

#9 Posted by JasonHawke (1544 posts) - - Show Bio

@spider11211: Yeah I know, im what you call a "new perspective". I add a point of view that you, the veterans, dont have. :P

#10 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@jasonhawke: That is very true, I like to consider both sides and both sides have a right to express their views.

#11 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Venom arc. Whichever issue had him fighting Venom in the rain, while he was wearing his hoodie. Ultimate Spider-man was the sh!t.

#12 Posted by frogdog (3406 posts) - - Show Bio

spider-man next chapter

#13 Posted by angelalfonso (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

Can’t remember the first spiderman comic I ever read, but do remember getting serious reading spiderman during Todd Mcfarlane era, before that I was too young to remember know

#14 Posted by GeekBait (785 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad had Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 and I read those back when I was really young. They had to have been reprints.

#15 Edited by Hel (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably ended up in the trash years ago.. with a missing front cover, chocolate stains and a beard scribbled all over Black Cat..

#16 Posted by BenReally (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrgreenlantern: Awesome! Are you like me then that thought the Clone Saga was actually pretty awesome and was sad when they killed off Scarlet Spider? Also I reckon the death of Aunt May was so sad and I reckon they fudged it by bringing her back. Such a beautiful farewell. It was my jumping on point and I never read any Spidey comics before then and you can see the love between Aunt May and Pete. I loved Judas Traveller as a villain as well

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.