Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What if spiderman was in the dark knight instead of batman? Could he handle the sick twisted joker?

• 84 results
    PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By PaperDemon

Poll What if spiderman was in the dark knight instead of batman? Could he handle the sick twisted joker? (108 votes)

Of course! 67%
    No... His mind isn't strong enough to handle the emotional torture of joker. 33%

Comment ur thoughts.

• 
    jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Of course.

Batman and Spiderman are the same..... Yup.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PaperDemon

Of course.

Ur kidding right... Spiderman and Batman r 2 different characters.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Which Spiderman? Movies? Comics? Cartoons?

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Unless its a marvel and dc crossover

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@paperdemon: ...that's too many :(

I would say more often than not - the answer would be no. Movies/cartoons moreso than comics.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke said:

Of course.

Ur kidding right... Spiderman and Batman r 2 different characters.

*sigh*

Not literally.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think he could. Spiderman has been shown to be more emotionally vulnerable than Batman is, and despite this Batman was greatly affected; Spiderman doesn't have a chance. He even attacked Bamtan emotionally without even knowing his identity. Spiderman has a great deal more 'targets' than just Rachel/Dent; Aunt May, the people at the Bugle, girlfriends.

superior_slot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on which Spiderman and which version of the Joker we're talking about. If we're talking current ones (Death of the Family Joker and SpOck), I'm pretty sure Ock would snap pretty quickly and either kill him or get himself blown up.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Physically? Yes. Mentally? No.

Waveslasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Waveslasher

Peter Parker is 50-50. Peter has fought psychopaths before.

The superior spider man will because the superior spider man would just kill the joker or tell his army to kill him

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

He can handle Carnage's twsited mind. I'm sure he can with The Joker.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Physically? Yes. Mentally? No.

Spider-man has lost more people close to him than batman, his mind is alot stronger than your selling him.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By kidchipotle

Spidey could just go pew pew thwip thwip and web the Joker up.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: Spider-Man's life is paradise compared to Batman's. They've both lost many people close to them, but Batman is the one that fights sick, twisted, clinically insane serial killers in one of the worst, most hellish cities on Earth with no actual superhuman abilities. Spider-Man is the cheery teenager that was bitten by a radioactive spider, turning him into the amazing Spider-Man to defeat dastardly super-villains in New York.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frogdog: Spider-Man's life is paradise compared to Batman's. They've both lost many people close to them, but Batman is the one that fights sick, twisted, clinically insane serial killers in one of the worst, most hellish cities on Earth with no actual superhuman abilities. Spider-Man is the cheery teenager that was bitten by a radioactive spider, turning him into the amazing Spider-Man to defeat dastardly super-villains in New York.

No, just no. If you were talking about the Sam Raimi movie Spider-Man I'd agree, but comic Spider-Man isn't "cheery". He's actually often depressed due to having to give up a large part of his personal life to fight crime, being accused as criminal due to helping people, and feeling as if he isn't living up to his Uncle Ben's ideals, and being as helpful as he can be. And Spider-Man's villains aren't "dastardly". In the 60s? Yeah, but I wouldn't look his villains that way considering his archenemy (Norman Osborn), has raped and killed his girlfriend (Gwen Stacy).

I don't consider Spider-Man to be as mentally tough as Batman, but he isn't the cheerful wimp you make him out to be.

RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08:

1: Why would I be talking about the Sam Raimi films when this is obviously a comic based discussion?

2: And Batman isn't depressed? (To a much further extent?)

3: And Batman hasn't given up his personal life to fight crime? (Much more of it, in fact?)

4: And Batman hasn't been labeled as an outlawed vigilante by the police (except Gordon) and some citizens in most adaptations? (I mean come on, he is the guy that dresses like a bat and beats the crap out of criminals in the shadows)

5: And Batman doesn't believe he's not living up to the legacy of his deceased guardian? (Guardians, by the way. Parker still has May)

6: Compared to Batman's....yeah, they kind of are. None of them come anywhere near to the insane monsters that make up the Dark Knight's rogue gallery. (Bringing us back to the original conversation; Parker could never mentally handle The Joker)

In conclusion, if Batman can barely handle the psychotic monster with no regard to any life that is the Joker and has come close to breaking his incredibly strict moral code on many occasions from it, Spider-Man just couldn't handle it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rulerofthisuniverse:

I'm not saying that could mentally handle Joker, but you really make him out Spider-Man to be some spineless wimp when he isn't.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Spider-Man has dealt with twisted psychopaths before...

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man was Beyonder's champion and refused to give up to the evil of Zarathos. He raced against the clock to save Kingpin, a criminal and a man he hates. He's put his neck on the line a million times and never gave up (despite the "Spider-Man no more!" cliche) when responsibility called. I think I've made my point :P

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, spider-man hasn't been a cheery teenager since George Stacey died, which over 70 years ago.

Second Bruce is a millionaire, while peter works with shoe string salary at the Daily Bugle, it factually wrong to place bruce in a harder position than peter

Third even without adding the actual fact that spider-man has faced clinically insane serials killers, dealing super power villians will always be more dangerous, than non powered psychos.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

He'd put that overrated clown in his place

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By fodigg

There are a great deal of parallels between Batman/Joker and Spider-Man/Norman Osborn. I don't think it would be much of a switch except in Spidey's more up-beat demeanor.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Otto would just Kill the Joker.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpOck would kill him. Given the stuff Peter has gone through I think he could handle the Joker

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

"His mind isn't strong enough to handle the emotional torture of joker." .....WHAT!??......his ARCH enemy is BASED on Joker,and his name is Norman Osborn the Green Goblin!!!......what do you think,he couldnt?!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By Strider1992

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

I get the feeling that you've not read many Spider-man comics (if any). At one point Spider-man was considered one of the darkest comics around due to stories like the Sin Eater, Death of Gwen Stacy, Goblin Son and Kraven's Last Hunt. Batman fights the criminally insane granted but those story arcs I mentioned for Spider-man are incredibly emotionally dark not just playing off the fact every villain in Gotham seems to be insane for no apparent reason and milking that without bringing anything else to the table. Just because everyone Batman fights is insane doesn't mean his life is any harder or easier than Spider-man's. In fact someone who is completely sane and is devoid of empathy, cold and calculating seems far scarier than someone who is just out of their mind bonkers.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Goblin is pretty much a mix of batman and joker so yeah...

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PaperDemon

"His mind isn't strong enough to handle the emotional torture of joker." .....WHAT!??......his ARCH enemy is BASED on Joker,and his name is Norman Osborn the Green Goblin!!!......what do you think,he couldnt?!

woah... where did you ever get this idea? I honestly don't see Green Goblin being based off joker.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: 1.Gwen Stacey was killed in the 70's,not over 70 years ago. In fact it will be the 40th anniversary soon.

2. Having money doesn't make you any happier.

3.There are no villains like the Joker. Not even Carnage could handle him. Add in the fact that Joker seems to operate on a genius level intellect COMBINED with his psychopathic nature and you've got a villain very few could handle without just killing him (which goes against both Batman and Spidey's code). Super powered villains are not automatically harder. If anything Batman views them as easier since they rely heavily on their powers. Joker is one villain he can't keep up with.

I'm not knocking Spiderman, just correcting your flawed argument.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sam Raimi Spider-Man in The Dark Knight? Interesting thought experiment:

Let's say Spidey's been stopping the mob, after the end of Spider-Man 1. He's formed an alliance with the George Stacy and Harvey Dent. Dent has a thing with MJ (Let's just say Dent's a little younger, to make it less weird.).

The Joker comes gunning for Spidey. He announces that he'll kill people every day that Spidey doesn't reveal his identity. Spidey almost does, until Dent takes his place. Using Dent as bait, Spidey easily bags the clown. But Dent and MJ end up getting kidnapped :O

Stacy tries to interrogate Joker, but to no avail. Spidey is brought in...but being a college kid, is unable to intimidate Joker. He gets unnerved by the clown, and his costume makes Joker laugh. Joker tells Spidey he's the only one who can keep up with him.

After all these cracks, Spidey loses it and begins pummeling the Joker. He webs the door shut and the Joker finally relents - giving him the information. Spidey swings off, and ends up saving Dent (being faster than the Batpod). But the cops don't make it to MJ - and she is killed.

As a result, Joker never blows up the hospital and the cops who captured Dent and MJ are arrested. Spider-Man tries to find the Joker by beating up all the mobsters. The Joker pays Dent a visit, and convinces him that the police, the mob, Stacy, and Spider-Man are responsible.

Joker reveals that he has the two ships rigged to blow. The ships end up not killing one another.

But not having the Batcomputer/sonar device, Spidey and the cops are unable to find the Joker in time. The Joker ends up blowing both ships.

Dent contemplates kidnapping Gwen Stacy, but with his face still intact and his mind not scarred by the 'fair coin' mentality - he decides not to.

In the aftermath, Dent comes to terms with MJ's death, and continues to hunt the Joker. The Joker's plan has failed - as he was unable to break Harvey. Peter retires the Spider-Man costume, having lost faith in himself, and is comforted by Gwen.

Elsewhere, the Joker receives a call from a mysterious individual who shares a common interest in Spider-Man. The Joker meets with this man - and it turns out to be none other than Harry Osborn...

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for me, I'd say that Spider-Man could easily handle the clown prince of crime. I'm going comics Peter Parker of course. Because we all know that Spidey Ock would just kill the Joker and be done with it. Emotionally Parker would be fine, as the Joker from the movie did little to mess with Batman's head, besides trying to get him to out himself. However my guess is, that the Spider would easily take down any of the Jokers hench men. And to be honest, I think Spider-Man would have stopped the Joker before he had time to even do much of anything at the party, the infamous scene where he says do you want to know how I got these scars? Peter would have been there, not as bruce wayne but more than likely a reporter, he'd easily slip away, and since he has his suit under his clothes, he'd stick them on storm through the Jokers henchmen, and the Joker would have been caught then and there. Preventing Two-Face from ever existing.

If the Joker did manage to get away Spider-Man would have a tracer on him on him following him back to where ever he was stationed and taken care of him there.

This may be a bit far fetched, but...hey I just see Spider-Man taking care of this even more effectively than Batman could.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Are we talking Superior Spider-man? Because yeah, I think Doc Ock could handle Gotham.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

woah... where did you ever get this idea? I honestly don't see Green Goblin being based off joker.

Arch nemesis,clown style,only cares about hurting the hero,crazy.......c'mon!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36  Edited By Strider1992

@squares said:

Are we talking Superior Spider-man? Because yeah, I think Doc Ock could handle Gotham.

Honestly I think he'd just get bored and tear that crap down like Shadowland if he was placed in Gotham.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@squares said:

Honestly I think he'd just get bored and tear that crap down like Shadowland if he was placed in Gotham.

Oh man, that whole destroying Shadowland thing was seriously awesome. My boyfriend was absolutely ecstatic when he heard about it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spider11211

Joker would be dead....Slott would have killed him.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MatteoPG

I think he could. Peter is actually very headstrong and he is resistant to a lot of head-messing. Just think how many times he thought he lost everybody or someone in particular. All the times he had nothing good in his life.
    But when the going gets hard, he is able to pull himself up, always. I think a fight with the Joker would really change him and test every ounce of willpower he has, but he could make it.

Also, let's not forget that Peter has shown to be able to improvise very ingenious, elaborate plans on the spot, and that he is a tech genius. Also, his powers put him at an advantage when it comes to restraining without killing, disarming eventual traps and generally locating his target.

So yes, not with ease, because as far as super villains go Joker is one of the worst, but I think Spidey could handle him. He would stay out of his game and not get sucked in (in some part), because he has his powers to aid him and to give him an edge.

P.S. Let me clarify: I'm not saying that powered villains are necessarily worst. I'm just saying that if you have the phisical and tactical advantages Peter has on Joker, due to his powers, you have a lot more outs from Joker headgames. If you think about it, when Batman faces Joker, he always has to obey some rule or has some shackle the Joker is able to keep because they are both human. I think that would count for something (but not everything) in a fight between those two.
    So, superpowers are not the most important thing in my argument, but they help.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Spider-Man would've swung into the bank at the beginning of the movie, webbed everyone up for the police and then left.

The end.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: 1.Gwen Stacey was killed in the 70's,not over 70 years ago. In fact it will be the 40th anniversary soon.

2. Having money doesn't make you any happier.

3.There are no villains like the Joker. Not even Carnage could handle him. Add in the fact that Joker seems to operate on a genius level intellect COMBINED with his psychopathic nature and you've got a villain very few could handle without just killing him (which goes against both Batman and Spidey's code). Super powered villains are not automatically harder. If anything Batman views them as easier since they rely heavily on their powers. Joker is one villain he can't keep up with.

I'm not knocking Spiderman, just correcting your flawed argument.

1) I said george not gwen. Still doesn't go against my main point.

2) It doesn't but it makes life alot easier.

3) If you are referencing that crossover between batman and spider-man, that isn't a reliable source. Green Goblin has done worst things to parker than what joker has ever done to wayne and I'm not just talking about Clones or throwing loves one of bridges. They are harder, every event crossover proves that a super powered villain is always more dangerous.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: 1. What? Her dads death raises what point? And still it was IN the 70's. Granted I assumed you were talking about Gwen as that is definitely the more traumatic experience for Peter, but if you intended to mean him I apologise for incorrectly attempting to correct you.

2. No, it makes life more convenient, doesn't mean his life has been any "easier".

3. Agree to disagree here I guess.

Since the OP seems to focus on the films though, comic references would also seem to be misplaced and in that context I would suggest Peter would curl up in a corner and start hugging himself after facing Joker. However with the entire comic depiction of said characters included... For me it could go either way. Maybe Peter could handle it, maybe he couldn't. It would depend on what a writer wanted to achieve and how far they wanted to push things. Movie Spiderman though is either a total cry baby (god Toby Maguire looked horrible in those scenes) or is too much of a whiny, emo, self pitying teenager to deal with TDK Joker.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman:

1)No problem mate, I just using george stacey as an example of how spider-man hasn't had a easy life for long time.

2) Agree to Disagree

If it is movie version of spider-man then Joker would be too much. Hell tobey-man would pass out on the execution videos.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Spider-Man would've swung into the bank at the beginning of the movie, webbed everyone up for the police and then left.

The end.

I have to say this is what I was thinking.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PunyParker

@silent_bomber said:

The end.

I have to say this is what I was thinking.

Ι believe the thing here is the mind phycological aspect of the characters....not the power ones......

If we culculate like that,Bats in a no match for Norman.....

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Okay well then, I still think he could handle Joker

@veshark said:

Sam Raimi Spider-Man in The Dark Knight? Interesting thought experiment:

Let's say Spidey's been stopping the mob, after the end of Spider-Man 1. He's formed an alliance with the George Stacy and Harvey Dent. Dent has a thing with MJ (Let's just say Dent's a little younger, to make it less weird.).

The Joker comes gunning for Spidey. He announces that he'll kill people every day that Spidey doesn't reveal his identity. Spidey almost does, until Dent takes his place. Using Dent as bait, Spidey easily bags the clown. But Dent and MJ end up getting kidnapped :O

Stacy tries to interrogate Joker, but to no avail. Spidey is brought in...but being a college kid, is unable to intimidate Joker. He gets unnerved by the clown, and his costume makes Joker laugh. Joker tells Spidey he's the only one who can keep up with him.

After all these cracks, Spidey loses it and begins pummeling the Joker. He webs the door shut and the Joker finally relents - giving him the information. Spidey swings off, and ends up saving Dent (being faster than the Batpod). But the cops don't make it to MJ - and she is killed.

As a result, Joker never blows up the hospital and the cops who captured Dent and MJ are arrested. Spider-Man tries to find the Joker by beating up all the mobsters. The Joker pays Dent a visit, and convinces him that the police, the mob, Stacy, and Spider-Man are responsible.

Joker reveals that he has the two ships rigged to blow. The ships end up not killing one another.

But not having the Batcomputer/sonar device, Spidey and the cops are unable to find the Joker in time. The Joker ends up blowing both ships.

Dent contemplates kidnapping Gwen Stacy, but with his face still intact and his mind not scarred by the 'fair coin' mentality - he decides not to.

In the aftermath, Dent comes to terms with MJ's death, and continues to hunt the Joker. The Joker's plan has failed - as he was unable to break Harvey. Peter retires the Spider-Man costume, having lost faith in himself, and is comforted by Gwen.

Elsewhere, the Joker receives a call from a mysterious individual who shares a common interest in Spider-Man. The Joker meets with this man - and it turns out to be none other than Harry Osborn...

I agree with all of this until the hospital part as that played a huge part for the "social experiment" of Joker's. I still believe Joker would aim to blow up a hospital, as he would also still want Mr.Rese dead so he wont reveal Spider-Man's identity. But seeing Spidey comes out during the day the cops were also informed that Joker would be at the docks in the movie, so maybe they could tell Spider-Man and he could check it out, there fore stopping Joker. I may also add (seeing the events of the movie happen just with Some Spider-Man characters replacing Batman characters) the attack on the mayors life. It happened during the day so Spider-Man would be able to find him as his Spider-sense detects all sense of danger(as shown in Spider-man 1 seeing its the Spidey you used). This could be used to see the Joker and maybe Spider-Man could recognize the scars on his face.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjablade09

Well I left out the Coleman Reese subplot because I couldn't figure out a way that he would learn of Peter's identity. And also I figured, without Dent in the hospital, Joker wouldn't really have any reason to blow one up. It could be incorporated in a different way though.

The cops only learned about Joker's position because Batman found it through the Batcomputer - and told Gordon that he was at the Prewitt Tower, if you recall. So I don't see how Spider-Man would ever know.

Yeah, I didn't try adding the Mayor's attempted assassination, but I suppose Spidey would definitely be able to save him from the Joker.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ninjablade09

Well I left out the Coleman Reese subplot because I couldn't figure out a way that he would learn of Peter's identity. And also I figured, without Dent in the hospital, Joker wouldn't really have any reason to blow one up. It could be incorporated in a different way though.

The cops only learned about Joker's position because Batman found it through the Batcomputer - and told Gordon that he was at the Prewitt Tower, if you recall. So I don't see how Spider-Man would ever know.

Ya I don't really know how to incorporate it into the story either maybe something similar to how Norman found out, noticing a wound on Peter after witnessing Spider-Man getting that same wound. I'd say Joker would blow up the hospital to show his unpredictableness maybe to cause a commotion of some sorts.

I was referring to the scene where Salvatore Maroni tells Gordon(this case Stacy) Joker is going to be at the docks collecting his money. So I figured seeing Spidey comes out during the day maybe Stacy would tell him about it as he would get there fast enough to catch the Joker and maybe stop him form murdering Lau and burning the money.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Veshark

@ninjablade09

Mm, I suppose that is a possibility, but Pete might still be reeling after MJ's death? I'd imagine the loss of his girlfriend would affect him especially, considering he's just a college kid. So he most-likely wouldn't be swinging around to be able to help Stacy out. And if we do incorporate the blowing up a hospital subplot, it would actually distract the cops long enough for Joker to kill Lau and burn the money, which is what happened in TDK.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Okay well then, I still think he could handle Joker

We agree on that.
    He can take Norman,he could take Joker......have you read the Paul Jenkins Norman Osborn stories?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.