what if spiderman lived dc universe

#1 Edited by leader 2099 (34 posts) - - Show Bio
is he able to became friends of some heroes like superman batman wally west nightwing wonder woman green arrow donna troy jason todd and tim drake
#2 Posted by Buckshot (18710 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he might be like Blue Beetle (Jaime) if he really pursued his superheroing. They're very similar and I could see them switching places.

He could also become a member of the science police in Metropolis. That would be more interesting I think. He's got the brains to do well there and his powers would make him a kind of special agent, allowing him to do a little more than the other members of the team. He could even end up leading his own team, maybe getting a great spot in the larger organization. He'd even get paid regularly to save lives which would be appealing to a guy that usually has money troubles.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
Ultimate Spidey would be good in Teen Titans. I could see an older version being a bit like Nightwing, the superhero who everyone seems to be connected to everyone and would have been good on his incarnation of the Outsiders.
#4 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Spidey would be as connected in the DCU as he is in Marvel. In Marvel his powers are sufficient so that he can hold his own in premiere teams like the Avengers and FF whereas in the DCU he probably won't be able to hang with the premiere teams like the Justice league and would thus be excluded from the most important goings-on and not meet with important heroes and villains very regularly. Before someone gets on me, I think people like the Bat family and Green Arrow are allowed in these teams is because their skill outmatches nearly everyone else, Spidey has a mixture of skill and power but he's neither skillful enough nor powerful enough to be in a team like the Justice League, at least IMO. I don't know enough about the DCU to go much more in depth than this and I might already have made a mistake but I think Spidey would make some good friends (How many, if any heroes protect New York in the DCU?) and some interesting villains but would wind up being just another hero, no one important.


Ultimate Spidey would belong in the DCU only if his powers kept mutating like Octavius and Norman so that he could hang with the higher-ups, or else we forego his powers altogether and he's instead a spider-themed vigilante much like Batman or Green Arrow. I don't know, it just seems like most of DC' (popular) heroes are either human or god level and Spider-Man is in-between, I"m probably wrong.
#5 Posted by Nighthunter (28589 posts) - - Show Bio

God now that's something I don't wanna see...

#6 Posted by TheDrifter (26566 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"God now that's something I don't wanna see..."

I smell a Spidey-Hater......
#7 Posted by Nighthunter (28589 posts) - - Show Bio
TheDrifter said:
"Nighthunter said:
"God now that's something I don't wanna see..."

I smell a Spidey-Hater......"
Well ain't you the world's greatest detective?
#8 Posted by TheDrifter (26566 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Yes I am

#9 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super-Buster: Raw power isn't the be-all-and-end-all in the DCU, or even the Justice League. One issue of JLA (during Morrison's run I think), when they are planning to put the League back together, Batman even makes sure the League isn't too power heavy by blocking heavy hitters in favour of thinkers. Spidey is more powerful than that incarnation of Aquaman and Plastic Man and let's not forget that Spidey is a 'thinker'. If he was a part of the DCU, I'd see him as someone like the Atom or Steel if he where to join the League.

#10 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"@Super-Buster: Raw power isn't the be-all-and-end-all in the DCU, or even the Justice League. One issue of JLA (during Morrison's run I think), when they are planning to put the League back together, Batman even makes sure the League isn't too power heavy by blocking heavy hitters in favour of thinkers. Spidey is more powerful than that incarnation of Aquaman and Plastic Man and let's not forget that Spidey is a 'thinker'. If he was a part of the DCU, I'd see him as someone like the Atom or Steel if he where to join the League."
I just don't see Spidey as a serious thinker. His I.Q. is very high, sure, but when was the last time he was put on a team to be a "thinker"? Even in that one New avengers issue when he was sent to the SHIELD Helicarrier to figure out how to deal with the Collective he didn't figure much of anything out, he just read back the Vision's analysis and Tony figured it out by himself. It was Iron Man and the rest of the Avengers who figured out what to do. Spider-Man doesn't have a defined role in on a team, he is only put on teams because he often fights alongside these teams and because of this, these teams come to him when they just need another member. However, If Spider-Man tried to fight alongside a team like the Justice League, they would barely notice him because they wouldn't need his help and if he did end up on a team, it would be a B-lister that actually has need of his powers. More likely than not, Spidey would simply defend New York like he always does, there's not much about Pete that teams and important heroes would just go seeking him out.
#11 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're under-selling Spidey somewhat. Add to that, Marvel has never really left Spidey on a team long enough to take on a Reed Richards role, but he does the science stuff in his own books. Then again, during the build up to Civil War, it looked like Tony Stark wanted him to go in that direction. He is still one of the better scientists on Marvel's list, even though he is eclipsed by Reed and Tony (as most of Marvel's scientists are) in the DCU I think he would be seen more in that role.

By 'thinker', I was also talking about how he uses his powers, having to fight tactically against opponents who are often more powerful than he is. One of the reasons Batman wanted to limit DC's powerhouses is because the League takes on people who are too powerful for even the likes of Superman to beat straight out, in those fights brains can be more of an asset than raw power.

#12 Posted by Buckshot (18710 posts) - - Show Bio

This 'thinker' stuff you're talking about is why I think he could work well on the science police (present, I wasn't thinking Legion). And just something I thought was on topic.

Spidey is smart, he just doesn't use that gift enough.



I think I agree on the Nightwing thing. His younger (or ultimate) version would have fit on the Teen Titans and his older self could have a place on the Outsiders. Don't think he'd be quite as connected though as he'd be on his own, not benefiting from a mentor that's one of the big three in DC.
Moderator
#13 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

if he did

then i stop reading DC

#14 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
T.J. Magnum said:
"if he did

then i stop reading DC"
Man you really don't like Spidey.
#15 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio
Mr. Wilson said:
"T.J. Magnum said:
"if he did

then i stop reading DC"
Man you really don't like Spidey.
"
lol

yah think..

actually I'm trying to like him
#16 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

If my opinion I think he do just as good as in Marvel. I'm not saying this because I am a Die-hard Spidy fan, but it's because of what I know of him. He's powerful (What truely defines powerful? How much raw power you have? Or how much you know how to use it?), smart (He's under batman, but he has a lot of Book smarts and street smarts. But, he does have a lot of potential to be as smart as batman), and he's one of nicest heroes out there. (Like, Nightwing nice {I say that because I agree with other perople comment}) I can see him being on the JLA. I honestly can. Super-buster, he does have a lot of skill. His skill is in knowing how to use his powers. Not only that, but his powers are powerful on their own. You say Batman skill outmatched a lot of other people, but it didn't outmatched Spidy in his Crossover with Batman. He literally threw batman and made him land on his butt.

#17 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio
Shaper said:
"If my opinion I think he do just as good as in Marvel. I'm not saying this because I am a Die-hard Spidy fan, but it's because of what I know of him. He's powerful (What truely defines powerful? How much raw power you have? Or how much you know how to use it?), smart (He's under batman, but he has a lot of Book smarts and street smarts. But, he does have a lot of potential to be as smart as batman), and he's one of nicest heroes out there. (Like, Nightwing nice {I say that because I agree with other perople comment}) I can see him being on the JLA. I honestly can. Super-buster, he does have a lot of skill. His skill is in knowing how to use his powers. Not only that, but his powers are powerful on their own. You say Batman skill outmatched a lot of other people, but it didn't outmatched Spidy in his Crossover with Batman. He literally threw batman and made him land on his butt."
sounds like a Die hard spidy fan answer :P
#18 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio
T.J. Magnum said:
"Shaper said:
"If my opinion I think he do just as good as in Marvel. I'm not saying this because I am a Die-hard Spidy fan, but it's because of what I know of him. He's powerful (What truely defines powerful? How much raw power you have? Or how much you know how to use it?), smart (He's under batman, but he has a lot of Book smarts and street smarts. But, he does have a lot of potential to be as smart as batman), and he's one of nicest heroes out there. (Like, Nightwing nice {I say that because I agree with other perople comment}) I can see him being on the JLA. I honestly can. Super-buster, he does have a lot of skill. His skill is in knowing how to use his powers. Not only that, but his powers are powerful on their own. You say Batman skill outmatched a lot of other people, but it didn't outmatched Spidy in his Crossover with Batman. He literally threw batman and made him land on his butt."
sounds like a Die hard spidy fan answer :P
"
Lol, but I'm serious.
#19 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio
Shaper said:
"T.J. Magnum said:
"Shaper said:
"If my opinion I think he do just as good as in Marvel. I'm not saying this because I am a Die-hard Spidy fan, but it's because of what I know of him. He's powerful (What truely defines powerful? How much raw power you have? Or how much you know how to use it?), smart (He's under batman, but he has a lot of Book smarts and street smarts. But, he does have a lot of potential to be as smart as batman), and he's one of nicest heroes out there. (Like, Nightwing nice {I say that because I agree with other perople comment}) I can see him being on the JLA. I honestly can. Super-buster, he does have a lot of skill. His skill is in knowing how to use his powers. Not only that, but his powers are powerful on their own. You say Batman skill outmatched a lot of other people, but it didn't outmatched Spidy in his Crossover with Batman. He literally threw batman and made him land on his butt."
sounds like a Die hard spidy fan answer :P
"
Lol, but I'm serious.
"
so am i :P
#20 Edited by One-Above-You (1907 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be Batman's new boy toy.

#21 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio
One-Above-You said:
"He could be Batman's new boy toy  >:P
"

hey watch it

lol
#22 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
One-Above-You said:
"He could be Batman's new boy toy.
"
lol

"Enter my BatCave."
#23 Posted by leader 2099 (34 posts) - - Show Bio

 i supose he became he will be good friends with with orginal titans same age etc

#24 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a spidey fanboy at all. I like the guy as much as other icon heros but I get tired of him. As far as this issue goes I think he would fit just fine.  He would be Just like a Nightwing minus the great leadership. His relationship with other heros would be great his networking would also make him very important. He would A great asset to the JLA if batman is not there. But yeah I can agree that hes not the top choice for the JLA based on the core roster of that team. I mean spiderman is strong enough to lift a car he can swing and spin webs and has spider sense. Hes not the best fighter. So while a the arrows cant do halef the stuff he can thier better on the JLA because they do one thing WELL.  And realisticly you cant helo but want and need a marksmen on the team. hell that skill is something that even superman cant pull off. nor wonderwoman nor batman thus their place on the team is justified.  He would be perfect for the outsiders or the JSA  and of course he would run into batman ALOT being a street hero

#25 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
speedlgt said:
"I am not a spidey fanboy at all. I like the guy as much as other icon heros but I get tired of him. As far as this issue goes I think he would fit just fine.  He would be Just like a Nightwing minus the great leadership. His relationship with other heros would be great his networking would also make him very important. He would A great asset to the JLA if batman is not there. But yeah I can agree that hes not the top choice for the JLA based on the core roster of that team. I mean spiderman is strong enough to lift a car he can swing and spin webs and has spider sense. Hes not the best fighter. So while a the arrows cant do halef the stuff he can thier better on the JLA because they do one thing WELL.  And realisticly you cant helo but want and need a marksmen on the team. hell that skill is something that even superman cant pull off. nor wonderwoman nor batman thus their place on the team is justified.  He would be perfect for the outsiders or the JSA  and of course he would run into batman ALOT being a street hero"

Nicely put.
#26 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"I think you're under-selling Spidey somewhat. Add to that, Marvel has never really left Spidey on a team long enough to take on a Reed Richards role, but he does the science stuff in his own books. Then again, during the build up to Civil War, it looked like Tony Stark wanted him to go in that direction. He is still one of the better scientists on Marvel's list, even though he is eclipsed by Reed and Tony (as most of Marvel's scientists are) in the DCU I think he would be seen more in that role.

By 'thinker', I was also talking about how he uses his powers, having to fight tactically against opponents who are often more powerful than he is. One of the reasons Batman wanted to limit DC's powerhouses is because the League takes on people who are too powerful for even the likes of Superman to beat straight out, in those fights brains can be more of an asset than raw power."
I know Spider-Man is a genius, he would make an excellent addition to any team if he simply used his intellect as much as others. As I said, Spidey is not a serious thinker. If he was drafted onto a team for the sole purpose of using his intellect I think that it might be a different story but that would require someone getting close enough to Pete to realize that he's actually pretty smart under all of his silly antics, but who? Pete is a loner by nature and I just think that there's not really a reason for big, important teams to be seeking him out or vice versa.

Another thing is his location. How many of DC's heroes are based in New York? I think that Spider-Man is so connected in Marvel because what seems like the majority of heroes live right there in New York with him including the teams he's been on like FF and Avengers. Too often he just seems like a choice of convenience for teams because after inevitably fighting beside him a few times they know they can count on him.

@Shaper: Spider-Man certainly has skill but not like Batman or Green Arrow have made themselves top super-heroes through skill and smarts alone. Batman losing against Spider-Man is to be expected given the that Spider-Man is much faster and stronger than Bats.

#27 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Kyle Rayner was based in NYC, Nightwing is currently and the JSA has their HQ there. I'm sure there are others.

It would only be a matter of time before someone like Mr Terrific (since he's in NY) would realise that his webbing was artificial or one of the JSA teamed up with him. The JSA exists to train new heroes, so assuming he was always part of the DCU, there would be a good chance he'd start his career with them. Thinking about it, there's more chance he'd be in the JSA than in the Titans who were (in the early days) mostly sidekicks. Remember, Spidey is a loner partly because in the Marvel Universe, heroes aren't as trusted as they are in the DCU, there isn't a J. Jonah Jameson to persecute him either.

#28 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"Kyle Rayner was based in NYC, Nightwing is currently and the JSA has their HQ there. I'm sure there are others.

It would only be a matter of time before someone like Mr Terrific (since he's in NY) would realise that his webbing was artificial or one of the JSA teamed up with him. The JSA exists to train new heroes, so assuming he was always part of the DCU, there would be a good chance he'd start his career with them. Thinking about it, there's more chance he'd be in the JSA than in the Titans who were (in the early days) mostly sidekicks. Remember, Spidey is a loner partly because in the Marvel Universe, heroes aren't as trusted as they are in the DCU, there isn't a J. Jonah Jameson to persecute him either."

this very true Spidey would really be a totally different hero in DC his whole MO would change as he would be beloved and not screwed all the time.He may even not be the spidey we know and love
#29 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know these guys lived in New York, hmm... Still, in Marvel Spider-Man is able to hang with the icons like Cap, Wolverine and the FF in terms of both powers and popularity. Would this be the same in DC? Would the Trinity be made to include Spider-Man? Would he even be as important as heroes like Flash and Green Lantern? Would there be a DC team-up series in which Spider-Man teams up with virtually every hero in DC? Because that's how he is in Marvel. He might join a team, I don't know (It just doesn't seem in his nature to me.) he might be accepted as a decent super-hero, I just believe he is meant for Marvel, DC could go on without him.



#30 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Part of the reason for all that is Spidey is far and away Marvel's most popular and well known character, so of course he's been teamed up with just about everybody at some point. I don't think he'd be seen in the same light as the Big 3, but his popularity, in the comics, could still be fairly high. Technically, he's not that popular within the Marvel Universe so in that sense he'd probably be more popular, especially in NY. I don't know how long he'd be on any DC team either, but he has stayed with the Avengers a while. I don't think that he's adverse to joining teams, just that there has always been reasons not too in the past.

Of course he is meant for Marvel, he was created by Stan Lee (though other Ditko creations are scattered about DC) and of course DC could go on without him, it already is.

#31 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that's what I'm saying, I've been talking about real world popularity as well as within the universes. Even within the universes everyone knows Spider-Man and, to a degree, everyone respects him as well. In DC I don't think he would be anything special, just another, possibly decent character especially if he moves to DC without his supporting cast and rogue gallery. I don't know with Spider-Man and teams, it might be interesting.

#32 Posted by Zan (33 posts) - - Show Bio

i think spidey would befriend flash and beast boy...i could also see him joining the teen titans

#33 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

.........no bashing web head today..

that being said...i think he will do good in DC,as good as he is in marvel.

#34 Posted by Mr. Wilson (6322 posts) - - Show Bio
T.J. Magnum said:
".........no bashing web head today..

that being said...i think he will do good in DC,as good as he is in marvel."

lol

Way to be optimistic today.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.