Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What if Peter was bitten by a different type of spider?

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpideyFan113

For those who don't know the specifics, when Peter was bitten by a radioactive spider, the actual spider was nothing more than a common house spider. The most common of common spiders you'll see everday. But what if Peter had been bitten by a different type of radioactive spider? What if instead of a house spider, it was a black widow, or a jumping spider? Using the attributes from a common house spider, Peter has kept buildings up, taken on the Hulk alone, and has done many more unbelievable feats. All this from a radioactive spider bite from a wimpy House spider. For example: If Peter was bitten by a radioactive jumping spider, his strength would have probably been boosted to "holy s**t" levels (more than usual anyway). I mean his strength would probably make him an "official" 100 tonner (I say official cuz Spidey has done countless things that would label him as a 100 tonner, but Marvel still claims him to be a 10 tonner. Pfft, okay). If bitten by a black widow, he would probably have venom abilities that could kill any super being with a single shot (since black windows have enough venom to kill a human being with one bite if they choose to release most of thier venom. Attach that size difference to Spider-man, he'd probably be able to kill the Hulk; not meaning to piss Hulk fans off). Quite frankly, the possiblities are endless. I'm unsure if alternate comics have touched on this idea but its pretty darn interesting. What do you guys think? Compare what Spidey can do now and realize that his powers came from a plain ol' regular house spider. What if it was a more deadly spider?

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Earth616

Some types of jumping spiders are able to see spectrums of light that humans cannot, such as UVA and UVB rays, so that would be kinda cool. Another fascinating spider is the Orange magma spider, which can withstand heat up to 53000 degrees Farenheight!! Black Widows however, are cannibalistic, so that might not be all that cool...... But on the other hand, most spiders drink blood, and I don't think that Peter has ever wanted to suck blood from anybody, so he probably wouldn't actually eat people if he were bitten by a radioactive Black Widow............

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By mewmdude77

Both the Raimi movies and the Ultimate Spider-Man line had Peter bitten by a mixture of spiders, but I don't know how differently it effected him in those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I was under the impression that the spider had nothing to do with his powers. It was the celestials and the radiation.

Plus, Spider-Man with black widow powers would be very unlikely to beat Hulk.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By tupiaz

@guttridgeb said:

I was under the impression that the spider had nothing to do with his powers. It was the celestials and the radiation.

He oblivious got the power of a spider. For instance crawling on walls and spider sense,

Why would Black Widow power not beat Hulk.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

Hark already answered this:

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@tupiaz said:

@guttridgeb said:

He oblivious got the power of a spider. For instance crawling on walls and spider sense,

Spider sense isn't a thing spiders have, Peter just named it such. We'll just have to wait for a Spider-Man expert to say whether I'm talking nonsense or not :)

Hulk has beaten very powerful people. Black Widows aren't that much better in comparison to house spiders.

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Earth616

@fodigg WOW......!!! I don't know what to say... that is.... that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tupiaz

@guttridgeb: Even though a spider don't have a spider sense per se.It is clearly the spider sense comes from the idea that spider is in a web an can feel how is touching the web.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@fodigg:

Very funny

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Earth616

Imagine if he did need to suck blood for food!!!! That would change everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigMaraSpence

@guttridgeb said:

@tupiaz said:

@guttridgeb said:

Spider sense isn't a thing spiders have, Peter just named it such. We'll just have to wait for a Spider-Man expert to say whether I'm talking nonsense or not :)

Hulk has beaten very powerful people. Black Widows aren't that much better in comparison to house spiders.

Just for argument's sake, let's say it wasn't a radioactive black widow. Let's say, a radioactive tarantula (ya, I know, he wouldn't even live through that. For argument's sake, he does). A tarantula is incredibly strong compared to other spiders (some might say "Hulk-like").

I think that would be an awesome battle!

Also, he probably would have grown in size, so it wouldn't look like puny spider-man whooping on the hulk. They would both, most likely, be huge.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tupiaz

@BigMaraSpence:

Let us go to some facts shall we? No man have died because of a Tarantula, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula#Bites_and_urticating_hairs

A radioactive one you should (in Marvel terms) could survive, since well radioactive infected animals gives you power and not cancer. So I don't see it as such a big problem.

How much a Tarantula can lift seems to be a bit unknown. The only answer I got was this: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-much-weight-can-a-tarantula-hold About 170 multiple its own weight. Peter weights is according to the wiki 167 lbs. 75. 75. This means 12877.5 kg. Which is about almost 13 tons. Hulk can lift over 100 tons. Hulk would there still beat Spidey in strength without a problem.

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InfinityAce

Tipaz a regular spider can lift 8x it's own weight which isnt even a ton. A normal spider is what Peter was bite by yet he lifts 10 tonnes. So a 170x increase with peters training. should be around. hulk or a little underneath.

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BigMaraSpence

@tupiaz: I had trouble finding credible sources, but most sites tend to agree with InfinityAce about a regular spider's strength. Since I can't prove it though, I know my argument is rendered invalid.

However, if we just assume a house spider can lift 8x it's own strength, and that is proportional to Spider-man's 10 ton strength, that would mean that a 170x increase in strength would result in the ability to lift 212.5 tons.

On a side note, wasn't there an arc back in the 80's/90's where Spider-man somehow gains incredibly upgraded powers and actually knocks The Hulk into orbit, and has to rescue him?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@fodigg said:

Hark already answered this:

That was hilarious.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tupiaz

@BigMaraSpence said:

@tupiaz: I had trouble finding credible sources, but most sites tend to agree with InfinityAce about a regular spider's strength. Since I can't prove it though, I know my argument is rendered invalid.

However, if we just assume a house spider can lift 8x it's own strength, and that is proportional to Spider-man's 10 ton strength, that would mean that a 170x increase in strength would result in the ability to lift 212.5 tons.

On a side note, wasn't there an arc back in the 80's/90's where Spider-man somehow gains incredibly upgraded powers and actually knocks The Hulk into orbit, and has to rescue him?

I haven't read the story arc and haven't heard of it, so I can't tell.

BigMaraSpence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigMaraSpence

@tupiaz: I'll have to try to find it. I vaguely remember it from a graphic novel I got at the library when I was younger. He could fly, had strength and durability comparable to Hulk. Now it's gonna bug me.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tupiaz

@BigMaraSpence: I know the pain.

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InfinityAce

Are you referring to unispiderman? The one who beat magneto and send the hulk flying?

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpideyFan113

@InfinityAce: No. As in, what if instead of a common House spider that became radioactive and bit Peter and gave him amazing powers, what if it was a more deadly spider? Spidey is already one of the most deadly heroes to fight, and he got all his power from a house spider. What if it was a more menacing Spider like a black widow or a brown recluse etc.

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpideyFan113

@InfinityAce: Nevermind. But yeah, they were talking about Uni-Spidey

SpiderKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpiderKing

I remember reading a book that said if a Black Widow spider were human sized its venom could wipe out an entire continent.

SpideyBoy2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpideyBoy2020

There woul be a chance he would be much stronger because outside spiders our way stronger then house spiders

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.