Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What do you think will be Peter's role in the All New All Different Marvel Universe?

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll What do you think will be Peter's role in the All New All Different Marvel Universe? (19 votes)

He will mentor Miles and still be young (mid to late 20s) and still be Spider-Man full time 11%
    He will mentor Miles and still be young (mid to late 20s) and be Spider-Man full time 11%
    He will mentor Miles and still be young (mid to late 20s) and retire as Spider-Man to focus on Parker Industries and his potential family 11%
    He will mentor Miles and be older (30+) with a family and Parker Industries and will be Spider-Man occasionally 37%
    He'll die/turn evil/other bull**** 32%

I know there aren't a lot of options, so you should reply with what you think will happen. This is not what you want to happen, it's what you think will happen.

• 
    clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clonesaga2099

While I'd personally like Spider-Man to get to have a family (with his wife Mary Jane and their daughter May and son Benjy) They're gonna keep Slott on the book and that means more incompetent Peter Parker, so he won't be mentoring anybody, and Slott loves handing out bull.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really don't care at all for Peter to be mentoring Miles in any capacity.

I care even less about Miles being in the new 616 universe.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zarius

Ideally, a family man with a company.

But when did recent Marvel ever bother with subverting our present expectations?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

What is the difference between option A and option B?

My answer, mentor Miles (and hopefully others), still be young, and continue to be Spidey. While I love the idea of him being a family man, I'm also realistic and so I don't expect that to happen. If they were going to do that they wouldn't have Renew Your Vows as a mini-series. Unless they somehow decide to "converge" the RYV Spidey with 616 Spidey...something that probably won't happen, so I'll stick with my answer.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is marvel's chance to move him up in the world. Like Wally West as a Justice Leaguer moving up. Maybe he'll be a Leader of a next gen avengers not of the new avengers that is currently being published. Look, I gonna put out there I don't care about his family sub plot, it's redundant as it is self contained within no plot direction that helps him be a better action hero. All I want is Peter to be a great Superhero and finally prove his merit to the Marvel U without having little to show for it and looking mediocre compared to the rest. If Marvel won't let him get his dues as a hero on the level of the greats, why does he need to deserve a family life when he's shown nothing but a joyless guilt of heroism and being put on the side despite his great contributions through out his history. I'd be embarrassed the woman I love found me a nobody in my own profession and barely registering to the public and most other marvel big shots due to being unable to keep my reputation manageable.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is marvel's chance to move him up in the world. Like Wally West as a Justice Leaguer moving up. Maybe he'll be a Leader of a next gen avengers not of the new avengers that is currently being published. Look, I gonna put out there I don't care about his family sub plot, it's redundant as it is self contained within no plot direction that helps him be a better action hero.

Keeping him out of the big leagues and purely on the fringes is precisely why people (well, at least the people who understand the character) love him. Make him just like everyone else and there's nothing unique about him. It's more redundant than perfectly relatable everyman family life.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if he moves to another city like Kaine or Daredevil ? So Miles would take care of NY and Peter somewhere else…

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyleat: No way. New York is to Spider-Man as Goham is to Batman or Metropolis is to Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b
    deactivated-5df99b4bb2d5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the, "His life will be a living nightmare because Marvel doesn't want him to be happy." choice?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @jimishim12 said:

This is marvel's chance to move him up in the world. Like Wally West as a Justice Leaguer moving up. Maybe he'll be a Leader of a next gen avengers not of the new avengers that is currently being published. Look, I gonna put out there I don't care about his family sub plot, it's redundant as it is self contained within no plot direction that helps him be a better action hero.

Keeping him out of the big leagues and purely on the fringes is precisely why people (well, at least the people who understand the character) love him. Make him just like everyone else and there's nothing unique about him. It's more redundant than perfectly relatable everyman family life.

No keeping him out of the big leagues is putting down his growth and progression. And he's already unique as he is now, he factors many human and 3 dimensional curves when being on a team or solving issues by himself. Something that heroes lack today is introspective morality in comparison to more by the by book moral ideals which Spiderman works in spades towards, his morals are personally self serving and more or often end up being the important lessons that need to be taught when being a true hero. He doesn't need to be down to reality to be a relatable everyman, and Peter isn't even a everyman anymore.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_human_spider
    the_human_spider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=dASTVa6aLZCnyAT-k77oBQ&url=http://www.newsarama.com/24993-peter-parker-stepped-up-as-high-tech-tycoon-in-amazing-spider-man.html&ved=0CB0QqQIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEuWX--8ymGNjIB7MWoABEzJWpezQ&sig2=i23ZfNdHzbCy78VBtnqjAw

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By w0nd
    @darklordx123 said:

I agree with you, but I have to point out that this is the reason a lot of people dislike Slott's run. (imo its the only thing good about his run)

I didnt mind him with the Future Foundation, or even the Avengers. It didn't change his personality at all, he interacted more with different villains and got into interesting scenarios, like tony forcing him to use his wasted big brain he has. Even big time was great, before they ruined his life even more.

I am all for story , but idk. "he has his life on track, is inventing new gadgets, interacting with different villains....good, now lets have his body get hijacked, and everyone will think he's a menace! no one will trust him!"

what is the brilliant story telling here? that you reverted his lifestyle back to the way it was when he was 16?

And a wasted opportunity of Kaine meeting spider-man now that he reformed. Their first encounter was with spock and it was tarnished. It was so frustrating lol.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
    @darklordx123 said:

I agree with you, but I have to point out that this is the reason a lot of people dislike Slott's run. (imo its the only thing good about his run)

I didnt mind him with the Future Foundation, or even the Avengers. It didn't change his personality at all, he interacted more with different villains and got into interesting scenarios, like tony forcing him to use his wasted big brain he has. Even big time was great, before they ruined his life even more.

I am all for story , but idk. "he has his life on track, is inventing new gadgets, interacting with different villains....good, now lets have his body get hijacked, and everyone will think he's a menace! no one will trust him!"

what is the brilliant story telling here? that you reverted his lifestyle back to the way it was when he was 16?

And a wasted opportunity of Kaine meeting spider-man now that he reformed. Their first encounter was with spock and it was tarnished. It was so frustrating lol.

Yeah, I hated the interaction with Kaine as well.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By The_Waffle

You should have put 'A poor mans Iron man' as one of the choices because that's what Slotts turning him into. I read in an interview Peter's pretty much an international icon now, how does that even make him remotely relatable? Why does he need a Spider-Mobile? Stupidest sh!t I've heard of since Superior Spider-Man was announced.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should have put 'A poor mans Iron man' as one of the choices because that's what Slotts turning him into. I read in an interview Peter's pretty much an international icon now, how does that even make him remotely relatable? Why does he need a Spider-Mobile? Stupidest sh!t I've heard of since Superior Spider-Man was announced.

How can he not be? there’s a point where forcing the “just like me” aspect by keeping him in a box becomes a bit silly. why not make it “just like me…in that situation”.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What’s with the over-sized glowing spider logo and angular boot design?

Everything else about this relaunch reeks of gimmickry and a plagiaristic makeover.

It’s laughable. So Parker Industries, which was conceived and launched by SpOck, has given Peter a new position in life with one of the leading companies in the world. So should we expect to see Peter grace the cover of Forbes business magazine sometime soon?

I doubt very much that most Spider-Man fans had always hoped that Peter would turn into a hybrid Stark / Wayne philanderer.

Spider-Man is Peter Parker’s bodyguard? Where have we seen this before? What’s to stop any villain going after Parker’s family and friends just to get Spider-Man?

Why does Spider-Man need a Spider-Mobile and more gadgets? He is not Batman.

Oh! and Miles is the New York based Spider-Man, whilst Peter Parker is the globe trotting, womanising, international rescue Spider-Man? What a load of BS. No thanks Marvel. Didn’t care much for the Ultimate Universe. I care even less about Miles inhabiting the new 616 Universe.

This is more of the same old over hyped Slottian flatulence. I doubt the writing has improved much since the deplorable SSM and ASM runs.

Get ready for more character derailments, new bland characters, poor plot lines and cliche' cartoon dialogue.

Turning Peter Parker into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne philanderer is as nonsensical and unoriginal as Slott gets.

I'll read this run for free at my local comic book shop just to keep up with the silliness, but I'm not purchasing another Amazing Spider-Man book until a new creative team comes on board.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle said:

Everything else about this relaunch reeks of gimmickry and a plagiaristic makeover.

It's new at least(the classic duds are sadly irrelevant in world thats moved on from his whole cartoony factor even amongst his peers), and Peter's affinity for changing his costume to proficient mean has always existed.

It’s laughable. So Parker Industries, which was conceived and launched by SpOck, has given Peter a new position in life with one of the leading companies in the world. So should we expect to see Peter grace the cover of Forbes business magazine sometime soon?

It's refreshing to see one of the most down on his money luck heroes in fiction actually wealthy and stablized fanacially. Peter could have started this life style and still remain the same Peter we love him for long ago if he didn't have self hating doubts about himself. This is naturally capatilizing on his natural talents which everyone has fucking said he had(from his family to his peers). Though even if it was Ock that put him there, no doubt Peter would have kept expanding the things in his stead by his own merit and ideas.

I doubt very much that most Spider-Man fans had always hoped that Peter would turn into a hybrid Stark / Wayne philanderer.

I doubt he'll be like them Personality wise(god no), just in portrayal. And it's proven he's got aspects of his character from them in spirit reguardless. He always was a take of Batman with the gadgets and prep feats and Tony with the suits, the ladies count, and most of the science angle. Only he lacked money and funding for those ideas which Slott brough back in BND when he got hired by Horizons.

Spider-Man is Peter Parker’s bodyguard? Where have we seen this before? What’s to stop any villain going after Parker’s family and friends just to get Spider-Man?

He can hire better protection for his family if not built something with high proficiency to keep them safe from threats like a battle suit.

He's not Superman or Thor or even Captain Marvel. He like Batman can use his brains and resources to protect everyone and defeat the threat,this has always been a staple of him.

Oh! and Miles is the New York based Spider-Man, whilst Peter Parker is the globe trotting, womanising, international rescue Spider-Man? What a load of BS. No thanks Marvel. Didn’t care much for the Ultimate Universe. I care even less about Miles inhabiting the new 616 Universe.

Obviously it's about damn time, Peter is the OG Spider-Man and the first one, Miles is the person who takes his namesake and becomes part of his legacy. While Peter evolves to a higher status symbolizing his evolution over the years and stepping up from what he once was as Slott puts it. It's like if Spider-Man was a ninja and established a unique name for himself being the only one of his kind, naturally through out the years and time, he'd set the bar for others like him and ascend to a higher rank to a Ninja Master that through his experience and service would progress his life as well as become more than he is.

This is more of the same old over hyped Slottian flatulence. I doubt the writing has improved much since the deplorable SSM and ASM runs.

Get ready for more character derailments, new bland characters, poor plot lines and cliche' cartoon dialogue.

Peter was always unoriginal and bland dude(I mean that his character is easy read when you understand his motives for every storyline) hell Kaine had more depth than Peter has in all of his run. He just was good at being a crybaby skeptic which makes him more than typical bare bones Captain America and Hulk. Atleast Slott has him unpredictable again, and I mean that as him not running to his aunt or talking to Johnny Storm about his life.

Turning Peter Parker into a Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne philanderer is as nonsensical and unoriginal as Slott gets.

And you know the future how? Philanthropy is pretty original for someone like Peter, how would he adjust to different worldly customs and aspects?

I'll read this run for free at my local comic book shop just to keep up with the silliness, but I'm not purchasing another Amazing Spider-Man book until a new creative team

comes on board.

And watch them expand on a still rich as balls Peter and pretty much give Slott credit for making Peter a bigger use of his talents than any writer before him.

I just don't see how people want Peter to go back to the way he was. He finally reaches a point in being the face of the company he represents as much as he does in the real world.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@the_waffle said:

I'll read this run for free at my local comic book shop just to keep up with the silliness, but I'm not purchasing another Amazing Spider-Man book until a new creative team comes on board.

^^THIS^^ btw I saw your comment on the mtv news interview, my thoughts exactly.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Peter was always unoriginal and bland dude"

No...just no.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No...just no.

Who said this stupidity?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

He wont be dead unfortunally.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
    @spider11211 said:

No...just no.

Who said this stupidity?

@dernman said:
    @spider11211 said:

No...just no.

Who said this stupidity?

Jimishim12

That statement was wrong on almost every level possible.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimmy trolls for pleasure. Not that we get any pleasure out of it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By spider11211

@zarius: His posts do tend to show a lack of knowledge of Spider-man and the history of comic characters in general.

My guess is that he is a new reader and therefore he does not have any real knowledge or history of the character, but I could be wrong.

To be clear In am not taking a shot at him I am making a point on why he might have different views.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@zarius: I think that was the case for him originally but no character can remain the same forever. Part of the appeal of the early story's was pitying Pete and wondering if he'd ever get the respect that he deserved. Well now he finally is and fans can either evolve with him or not. My two bits anyway.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised he's even getting a comic after SW. I though the great diversity machine would have killed and eaten him while chanting "long live miles".

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zarius

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@zarius: I think that was the case for him originally but no character can remain the same forever. Part of the appeal of the early story's was pitying Pete and wondering if he'd ever get the respect that he deserved. Well now he finally is and fans can either evolve with him or not. My two bits anyway.

People prefer Peter to evolve within his limits, just as we sometimes have to evolve within ours.

And I never grew up "pitying" Peter, it was never part of his core appeal for me. I was inspired by the fact Peter clawed his way to the top of the everyman pile. He earned respect and love from everyone in his social circle. Then they brought it all crashing down trying to make him something he'd long since grown out of. Any time Marvel wanted us to "pity" him, they had to put him through uncharacteristic nonsense that he would never normally do under more qualified writers. I did'nt even "pity" him when OMD happened, I was mad that he had sacrificed his morality and altered the state of the Marvel universe in an act of selfishness. All the chaos going on in the universe since then may as well have been caused by him, but only we as readers truly understand that where as nobody in-universe does.

Sorry, but Peter will never have any respect from fans so long as he's operating a company he did'nt build and lives in a reality created by devil magic, not unless certain fans intentionally lower their standards for solid characterization and morality in their reading habits. I won't sell out that easily.

This is not and never will be true "evolution" for the character, this is Spider-Man without heart and without focus.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zarius: so are you saying you prefer Peter to be a loser who can't even afford the rent, DESPITE BEING ONE OF THE SMARTEST MEN IN THE WORLD? Now THAT is something that is quite insulting to my intelligence as a fan - how can a super genius be unable to hold down a damn job? I am doing very well, and I am nowhere close to Peter's intelligence, so shouldn't Peter be doing even better? It's just common sense. I know you guys think that the only way for Peter to progress is for his to be married, and although I want that to, it is NOT the only way for Peter to grow. Why do you guys have to hate on every attempt to make Peter grow as a character if it doesn't include the marriage? Personally, this relaunch is really exciting! I just hope that MJ will somehow get back together with Peter (and that while Peter is a rich dude, I want him to keep his personality and not become some sort of playboy or anything - I want him to be that normal nerd who is thrust into the spotlight, unlike stark or Wayne) and that Peter will be able to take on bigger threats.

I don't know, maybe it's just that I am so over obsessed with Spider-Man that I am starting to think of Peter as a real friend of mine, but I sincerely want him to live up to his full potential rather than being a loser. Now that Miles can take over the 'Classic Spidey' stories of being a teen with all those problems, I really want Peter to grow up and be the man he was meant to be. And this, IMO, is the way to do it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@zarius: I see what you're saying buy have a few beefs

1.i don't think anyone felt sorry for Pete after OMD itself (although the events leading up to it were a different story)but can you honestly say you've never felt bad for Pete whenever life has messed him over? It IS possible to sympathize with someone's loss and be inspired by them at the same time

2. It's obvious why a satatnic pact that destroyed all that he had built would make people lose respect for Peter but the whole company thing doesn't make sense. After what Ock put him through I'd say Pete deserves to keep the one good thing that came out of it. I also firmly believe that Pete was/is smart enough to build a company so it doesn't really make that much sense for him to get rid of it and go back to snapping freaking pics for bugle or some crap like that.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @avenging_x_bolt said:

People prefer Peter to evolve within his limits, just as we sometimes have to evolve within ours.

And I never grew up "pitying" Peter, it was never part of his core appeal for me. I was inspired by the fact Peter clawed his way to the top of the everyman pile. He earned respect and love from everyone in his social circle. Then they brought it all crashing down trying to make him something he'd long since grown out of. Any time Marvel wanted us to "pity" him, they had to put him through uncharacteristic nonsense that he would never normally do under more qualified writers. I did'nt even "pity" him when OMD happened, I was mad that he had sacrificed his morality and altered the state of the Marvel universe in an act of selfishness. All the chaos going on in the universe since then may as well have been caused by him, but only we as readers truly understand that where as nobody in-universe does.

Sorry, but Peter will never have any respect from fans so long as he's operating a company he did'nt build and lives in a reality created by devil magic, not unless certain fans intentionally lower their standards for solid characterization and morality in their reading habits. I won't sell out that easily.

This is not and never will be true "evolution" for the character, this is Spider-Man without heart and without focus.

Peter's limits are explored as far as the writer wants them to be, Peter is a comicbook superhero who has the same enormous potential to achieve great feats of acclaim amongst his heroic life as any other superhero. He's a fictional stimulant to contrast real life just like any other hero, and though I'm not saying he'd gonna be like Thor written as an almighty champion of earth or Cap's core ultimate leader role(it may happen), Peter is always gonna explore different angles of saving the day/world and getting glory(and don't give me that he's a normal man living everyday life, he's been everywhere short of galactus's ship and saved somebody as a result of him being there). He's also a living legend like Cap, Thor, Hulk, Ironman, Wolverine and Reed and his Family of course he's outgrown typical stories because he's expected to showcase his popularity as a hero even outside his ballpark of world placement.....like Batman.

Peter is Marvel's Batman. And Peter is the heart of Marvel comics, not just New York.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.