Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What are your thoughts about 'The Amazing Spider-Man' reboot?

BillyProctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BillyProctor

After reading many many discussions over the last year - since the first Spidey trailer came out - there has been a lot of fan irritation and frustration at the Spider-Man reboot. Now that the release date is close, how do you feel? A lot of people say that it is too soon to reboot. Do you think this is due to Nolan's success with 'Batman'? Is this 'Spider-Man Begins'? What do you think of this quote which seems to go against comic book canon (or does it?):

The spider bite no longer gives Peter powers, it rather activates something already in his genetic structure. Something placed there by his father. Peter Parker is no longer

super-powered by chance, but rather by design.

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MadRooster81

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and I'm not too bothered by that. As long as he still gets his powers by being bitten by a spider and they keep the character we all know and love close to the comics, what ever extra background story is fine. I mean they could easily do a comic like this where his parents played a role in him becoming Spider-Man and everyone would be ok with that. So why does it matter if they throw it in a movie? Got to remember Spider-Man started in the 60's. It was a much different time then it was now. I don't mind a origins getting a modern updated as long a the basic fundamental elements of Spider-Man are there.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3  Edited By x_29

It looks to be better than the previous 3 movies

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sold on what little is known of the plot, but Andrew Garfield looks to be a vastly better Peter Parker, and after Spider-Man 3 it will look epic by comparison even if it's just ok

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

I'm mostly indifferent to it. I do think it's to soon to do a re-boot, and I wish that if it was getting re-booted then it was Marvel that was doing it rather then Sony. That said, if it gets good enough reviews (or more importantly, if enough friends I trust recommend it), then I'll probably see it. I definitely wont be rushing out on the first weekend to see it though.

Avatar image for the_amazing_spider_man
    The_Amazing_Spider_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moonchilde: Well, apparently it's supposed to be good if they're writing a sequel already - Not to mention the early screening reviews, with majority of the people saying that it's a fresh new start, but you're right, this reboot is happening to quick and Sony should of just given the character back to Marvel...

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@The_Amazing_Spider_Man: Umm... Hollywood starts writing sequels to any franchise they think will make money before the initial one even comes out, so that doesn't really say anything about the quality of the film. I've not read any reviews on it yet (are there any?), so can't really say there. Trailer just looks so-so.

The_Amazing_Spider_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Moonchilde: Yeah there have been early previews to some twitter people or whatever - And yes, I know Hollywood is like that, but I only mentioned that the movie is going to be good because I believe it will, despite people saying that it's just another teen flick, when yet the story of this reboot resembles closely to the comics - And in the Raimi series (Loved his series), the movie(s) never really showed MUCH of Peter's high school life, whereas this movie will. Here's a link to some Twitter posts that show how some people thought of it: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/WhatchuTalkinBout/news/?a=61283

I'll try and find the website I saw a few days ago with the REAL critics.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Strider1992

I saw clip on Youtube of Spider-man catching the car thief and I was shocked to say the least. Garfield has Spider-man completely down in his sense of humor. If the rest of the movie has the continuous quips like the ones that appear in those 3 minutes I can safely say it'll be a very good interpretation of Spider-man and leagues ahead of Rami's. The way he trolled the car thief just cracked me up.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Strider92 said:

I saw clip on Youtube of Spider-man catching the car thief and I was shocked to say the least. Garfield has Spider-man completely down in his sense of humor. If the rest of the movie has the continuous quips like the ones that appear in those 3 minutes I can safely say it'll be a very good interpretation of Spider-man and leagues ahead of Rami's
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Strider1992
    @TheAnnihilator: The troll is strong in this one!
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@Strider92: Yes, I love it.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twentyfive

Trilogy

• Lizard
    • Ock
    • Gobby

2nd movie to introduce MJ and Harry, and have some love triangle (maybe even square, who knows?) drama, but not too played out. Ock should kill daddy Stacy.

Third movie should have Gobby kill a grieving Gwen, and a lamenting Peter questioning everything he knows.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tomchu

@Twentyfive said:

Trilogy

• Lizard
    • Ock
    • Gobby

2nd movie to introduce MJ and Harry, and have some love triangle (maybe even square, who knows?) drama, but not too played out. Ock should kill daddy Stacy.

Third movie should have Gobby kill a grieving Gwen, and a lamenting Peter questioning everything he knows.

With no reference or any resemblance to Sin's Past. ThankYouVeryMuch.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@tomchu said:

@Twentyfive said:

Trilogy

• Lizard
    • Ock
    • Gobby

Sin's Past never happened.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tomchu

@TheAnnihilator said:

@tomchu said:

@Twentyfive said:

Trilogy

• Lizard
    • Ock
    • Gobby

Precisely, I wish we could say the same for One More Day...

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@tomchu said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@tomchu said:

@Twentyfive said:

Trilogy

• Lizard
    • Ock
    • Gobby

Precisely, I wish we could say the same for One More Day...

Well, at least good things have happened since then.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedOwl_1

@TheAnnihilator said:

@Strider92 said:

I saw clip on Youtube of Spider-man catching the car thief and I was shocked to say the least. Garfield has Spider-man completely down in his sense of humor. If the rest of the movie has the continuous quips like the ones that appear in those 3 minutes I can safely say it'll be a very good interpretation of Spider-man and leagues ahead of Rami's

Dude this is gonna be the best Spidey ever :D

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

It looks cool but not enough.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#20  Edited By BatWatch

I'm all for it. I don't see any reason Spiderman should have to wait for some mythical cool down timer before making a new movie. The Rami movies were good. The only reservation I have about leaving them behind is that Spiderman 3 left on such a dark note which is not befitting the general mood of Spiderman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for this reboot. Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel character and the one character I wanted to be growing up because I loved both his powers and the mood of his books and character.

I hated the Raimi films. It was too much camp and tried to hit the big points of the character without doing justice to the depth and minute detail that make him so great and so lasting. The villains were the best part of that trilogy (sans Venom) and when that's the statement those films make with two leading actors in all three its just not a good trilogy.

Though I do wish Marvel was running this film I think Sony learned some valuable lessons from Nolan's Batman and the recent Marvel films and you can see alot of that in the feel and setting of this one. Raimi, by comparison, made a film under the old concepts of superhero movies and I think that especially is why they don't hold up well today even for those that may have raved about them then (sans Spider-Man 3).

My hesitation at this point is how dark will the film be? We obviously have a more wise-cracking Spider-Man, but I don't think this should devolve into Batman Begins or the Dark Knight in terms of mood. The trailers seem to indicate that but hopefully the entire movie will still have a light enough feel that they don't damper what is generally a lighter character (though we all know Spidey does have his dark moments, especially in the 90's). But still going to be disappointed by what will probably be zero easter eggs or references to other heroes or movies because of Sony's production. Its such a rich world that Marvel has built that its just sad this couldn't be a part of it (honestly I don't care that X-Men: First Class wasn't cause they still can't get that team right nor bring a film with them up to the same level as Marvel movies right now......if Charles was so against killing why didn't he just free Shaw when he knew what Eric was going to do and then re-freeze him after Eric's attack failed???? Just some bad plot holes in that film).

What am I most excited about......<spoilers><spoilers><spoilers>....at least I'm guessing these are spoilers though really its just speculation at this point.........the prospect that the Lizard may not die by the end. I've got the Amazing Spider-Man game on pre-order and I'm going to try very hard not to play it but from some stuff that's dropped about the game it sounds like Conners is still around after this film. That will be an awesome change for a superhero flick cause too often the films make great villains (like Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2) and then snuff them out at the end, forever dashing our hopes of reprisal roles (oh why did Nolan kill Two-Face, a future cameo would have been awesome). So hopefully this film changes that formula.

The_Amazing_Spider_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this movie will be great too - but I'm kinda not liking the CGI for the Lizard, but what the heck, it's Spider-Man! It ain't supposed to be realistic... One thing I'm worried about though, is the sequels villians - Apparently, according to an early review, someone mentioned that the post credits scene will depict "the Green Goblin's rise" for a sequel - I don't really want Gobby. Don't get me wrong - I love the Green Goblin, but Raimi already used him in his trilogy and it'd be weird to see him again. I would say that they should use Gobby in the third film, and use somebody different for 2014's sequel - Maybe Venom? I've heard Marvel talking about a prequel for the character so they might as well introduce Venom as quick as they can to get fans to forgive them for messing up Venom in Spider-Man 3...

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SandMan_

Don't know.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By BatteredArmor
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.