Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Webb's Thoughts on Spider-Man Reboot

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

So while Spider-Rebot director Marc Webb was at the Indy Spirit Awards recently, he was questioned by MTV regarding his plans for the series. Not surprisingly, he doesn’t reveal that much, either because… A) Not much has beened lock down yet.. and/or B) He’s contractually barred from speaking about anything yet. Either way, we’ve got the video below and then some choice quotes for those of you living outside the good ol’ U S of A.  

Imagine a word balloon connecting him to his quote.
     Imagine a word balloon connecting him to his quote.

"[Sam Raimi] did something fantastic, but I do think the mythology of Spider-Man is wide and vast, and there's more opportunity to explore that cinematically…Sam is not only a great guy but a fantastic director and it's a humbling prospect, but I'm looking forward to it…We're casting a wide net [for actors]. That's really all I can say at this point… I talked to [James Cameron and Jon Landau, the team behind AVATAR] a little bit… It's such an enormous undertaking. I'd like to talk to those guys more. They're fantastic representatives for 3-D and we'll be talking more about that... In the coming weeks, more will unfold.”

Could Spidey be under there?
     Could Spidey be under there?

They bring up the possibility that Joseph Gordon Levitt might be playing Peter Parker. While I think the guy’s an amazing actor - - either as Tom in (500) DAYS OF SUMMER or as Cobra Commander - - and I’m looking forward to his turn in INCEPTION, I really doubt he’s going to be cast considering that he’s about as old as Tobey Maguire is. I was a little skeptical about the prospect of Logan Lerman playing Pete until seeing him in GAMER just this past weekend, so I might get behind his casting as if it proves true.

I’m similarly rethinking the whole prospect of the reboot, too. Spider-Man, in my mind, works best conceptually when Peter’s a student and I was a little leery over the prospect of seeing movie-Spidey going that much farther into life after college. (500) DAYS OF SUMMER was one of my favorite movies last year and I’ve actually been a fan of Web’s for over ten years - - since he directed the “Just Got Wicked” video for Cold (anybody here remember them?). Truth be told, I was kind of hoping to see him do another cool romantic comedy as a follow-up feature instead of a superhero sequel, but maybe that’s just what this movie needs.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bats

This director seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders. 
    He doesn't seem like he'll jump into it without research.
    He knows its a big deal - which it is.
    It'll be cool to see Spidey swinging around New York in 3-D.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ComicCrazy

Cool news I would really like to see either Logan Lerman or Joseph Gordon Levitt as Peter Parker but I belive it would ruin the entire movie if it turned to be Zac Efron.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Marshal Victory

Not intrested in this as much.Rebooting to high school if rumors are right meh .An im loseing alot of faith in the captian america film now as well. Rumors are awful an often it seems.Looks like Conan might be one of the better comic movies in production.Weird world it seems.
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By lb70145
    @Marshal Victory: Why would you lose faith in the Captain America movie? Spider-Man is being done by Sony. If I am not mistaken, the Cap movie is a marvel studios production. Very different ways of handling movies between the two companies.

Also, the Conan movie will never be as epic as the original Conan movie.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marshal Victory
       @LB70145 said:

" @Marshal Victory: Why would you lose faith in the Captain America movie? Spider-Man is being done by Sony. If I am not mistaken, the Cap movie is a marvel studios production. Very different ways of handling movies between the two companies.  Also, the Conan movie will never be as epic as the original Conan movie."

well conan i wasnt expecting much from but its looking better an better.. 
    from over at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Talontd/news/?a=15562 an pic of how hes looking now.. cant get a pic to link so go their to see.  He fits the barry winsor smith drawing very well an howards descriptions better now to. 

Captian Amercia .. well we was suposed to have already a lead.their now just tons of rumors ohh like  
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=15659    which has this .. Joe Jonas and Kevin Jonas have already read lines for the upcoming film and are in contention for both Captain America and other characters in the film.yeah Jonas brothers....  
     an then http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=15657  dane cook.. 
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=15533  a canadian actor for the part.. even tho the director said it had to be american.. 
    an people keep forgeitng the 5 on the list were just confirmed to have read for the part not a short list or if any of them would get the part but mtv had a vote an    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/FrostyVoice/news/?a=15648 John Krasinski from the office won... 
     an the director walked off the movie once already to http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GulfCoastAvengers/news/?a=15268 
    Part of me understands some are floating rumors for the lime light so to speek.but um were behind now on when they was suposed to have a lead,which was my march 1st.All the good will that way genrated seems to have gone poof because of the casting problems.
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By No_name_here
    @Bats : Spy-D in Three-D. You ought to check out (500) DAYS OF SUMMER... even if you don't usually like rom-coms. It's just a good movie.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce Vain

Don't care for the reboot.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Moomin123

These guys should've let the original franchise run the fourth film. I have doubts about the Spider-Man movie's future.
    austen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By austen

@Tom - agree the lore of peter parker thrives best while he's a student navigating the ups and downs of HS while grappling with the sudden emergence of superhuman powers. Levitt is a terrific actor and maybe would have been a great spidey instead of Maguire who just couldn't do the duality of parker/spidey on screen. but i think they'll cast younger and after seeing Gamer, Meet Bill and 3:10 to Yuma, find Logan Lerman acceptable though I wouldn't be really disappointed with a Yelchin casting. Best combo Lerman-Yelchin for Peter-Harry  
    Webb seems to have some sort of vision so cautiously optimistic here but this was nearly shattered with Zac Efron possibly being spidey.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By SevanGrim

Levitt is one of my favorite actors of all time! I dont care what he does, cuz he always does it well. You know he would make a superb Parker if he wanted. You know it!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey

weak

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Primmaster64

Leave Logan

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bats
    @Tom Pinchuk: Yeah, man - actually saw it a couple of months ago when it came out on dvd. I totally dug it. I don't usually go for romantic comedies, but this flick was fresh and different. I have no doubt that Webb will do Spidey justice - plus he's got the perfect last name for directing a Spiderman movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.