Was Tobey Maguire a good Spider-Man?

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Icydog (5 posts) - - Show Bio

When I saw Spectacular Spider-Man and the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon I thought that their characters were completely different to Tobeys. Peter Parker was originally a nerdy bookworm in High school in the comics, and Tobey was just that though he wasn't really a genius. But when I see Spectacular, Ultimate and the new reboot, Peter seems to be more of a cooler guy. Did people dislike Maguire because he was too nerdy and awkward, unlike the new comics and cartoons? Or did you think he was good?

It was like Spectacular/Ultimate Spider-Man cartoons: Cooler, more confident kid Original Amazing/Ultimate comics: Nerdy, smart

#2 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Sam Raimi's Spider-man's movie concept, and they were not bad, every weekend in different chanels you are able to watch Spider-man movies, but, that Spider-man wasn't funny at all, it was funny how awkward he was, but Spider-man uses sarcasm and jokes all the time, ALL THE TIME, also it was clear that Peter is a genius, but in the movies he didn't gave us that impression at all, he was more much like a guy that knows stuff and is dedicated, he don't used his intellect in his battles, all was physical.

So in my opinion, he wasn't perfect, but he was good.

#3 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker. Spider-Man though? Not so much.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio
2nd best Spider-Man after Spider-Man from the 60's animated show.

BB

#5 Posted by Ms. Omega (4363 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:

Ugh thanks for reminding of that scene.........not.....

#6 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

2nd best Spider-Man after Spider-Man from the 60's animated show.

BB

Whenever the Raimi movies are brought up, this always appears in some form. -__-

#7 Posted by X35 (5980 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda had a crush on him so..........I guess he was a good Spidey.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhhhhhhhhhh....

I blame the writers before I blame him.

#9 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:

Damn right. Best Spidey EVER!

Tobey Maguire was an ok Peter Parker in the first 2 movies but he was really awful in Spider-Man 3. And he wasn't funny enough to be a good Spider-Man IMO.

#10 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was ALMOST a great Spiderman. He had the awkwardness, the nerdiness, even the look... the one thing that he lacked was humor.

I think Andrew Garfield will be able to deliver on the humor more, because it kind of goes along with his charm. Unfortunately, Andrew lacks the awkward neediness that is also required to have a great Peter Parker. So rather than ever have a great Spiderman, we're stuck with several good ones.

#11 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it all depends on your concept of Spider-man. Toby did an excellent job of getting the pathos and self-pity of Peter Parker across. What he didn't get to do much of, and the movies didn't really allow him, was to show the joy of being Spider-man. He had his moments of swinging around and whooping, or cracking a joke, but it was outweighed by moping.

#12 Posted by nickzambuto (12639 posts) - - Show Bio

He was as good a Spider-Man as the script allowed.

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6249 posts) - - Show Bio

1 - he was good

2- he was ok

3 - this movie did not exist

#14 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8838 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved him as Spidey!

#15 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

He was okay as spider man, He wasn't really funny but it could have been worse.

#16 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

2nd best Spider-Man after Spider-Man from the 60's animated show.

QFT

m99

#17 Posted by vicioushero (163 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

Tobey was ALMOST a great Spiderman. He had the awkwardness, the nerdiness, even the look... the one thing that he lacked was humor.

I think Andrew Garfield will be able to deliver on the humor more, because it kind of goes along with his charm. Unfortunately, Andrew lacks the awkward neediness that is also required to have a great Peter Parker. So rather than ever have a great Spiderman, we're stuck with several good ones.

This

#18 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10899 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him in the movies but he definitely has a different peter parker/spider-man feel to him.

#19 Posted by Onemoreposter (3864 posts) - - Show Bio

He's definitely the best Spiderman so far to make it to the silver screen...

#20 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

He did all right, just needed to have more humour.

One thing I'm concerned with the Amazing Spider-Man is in the trailers/clips they've released the jokes have been kind of lame. You can tell they're meant to be funny, but they're just not. I'm just scared we're going to get all these lame jokes throughout the film:\

#21 Posted by BlackArmor (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking back on all my memories, the good times the bad times, I can't help but think that Yeah, yeah he was a good Spiderman, we had some great times before everything went to hell

#22 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (4987 posts) - - Show Bio

No, horribly no. I still remember seeing the first one in theaters with my best friend and both of us asking. THIS? is who they picked for Peter Parker... smh.

#23 Edited by Strider92 (16025 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion no but that could also be because of the script.

The portrayal of Parker was on some of the time and then completely off other times. He needed to be a bit more fun rather than the whole heavy drama thing they seemed to trying to go for.

#24 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11474 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

Tobey Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker. Spider-Man though? Not so much.

This.

#25 Posted by Icydog (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@Andy Steven Summers: Could you elaborate on why you and your friend thought he was bad? He really didn't get the humor of Spider-Man down I guess, but that's because of the script.

#26 Posted by Mucklefluga (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor script

#27 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that Tobey Maguire was alright for playing Spider-Man, but he sort of lacked the humor that Spider-Man has, even though I would blame this on the script for having too much drama rather than humor in the movie.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32047 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire was worse than Ben Affleck as DD

Online
#29 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh could have been better.

#30 Posted by Rickbarry (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Topher Grace (Venom in 3) would have been a much better Peter Parker.

#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a good Spider-man. If he threw in some humour and actually expressed some intellect, he would've been an excellent Spider-man.

Moderator
#32 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

He did a great job being the socially awkward kid that i understood spidey as, but he was just getting too old near the end of the series

#33 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio

He wasn't a bad Spider-Man...the problem was more with the scripts...they didn't really express the dichotomy of character that Parker has. The Focus was always on the "Great Power, Great Responsibility" angle. 

#34 Posted by Fetts (4326 posts) - - Show Bio

He made a good Spidey. I just blame the writers for making the movies suck.

Online
#35 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

He's ok.

#36 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire was terrible as Spider-Man. The scripts revolved around his love life. He found no clever way of subduing the villains. Had there been mechanical webshooters, it would have been the only way of knowing how creative he was really was. His face was wrong for the classic Peter Parker look and when he strained without his mask he looked as though someone wrapped his head with plastic wrap. He wasn't remotely funny. Also, he wasn't socially awkward at all: it seemed really forced from the delivery to the taciturn moments.

#37 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

Tobey Maguire was terrible as Spider-Man. The scripts revolved around his love life. He found no clever way of subduing the villains. Had there been mechanical webshooters, it would have been the only way of knowing how creative he was really was. His face was wrong for the classic Peter Parker look and when he strained without his mask he looked as though someone wrapped his head with plastic wrap. He wasn't remotely funny. Also, he wasn't socially awkward at all: it seemed really forced from the delivery to the taciturn moments.

most of these points are about the script...not the actor.
#38 Posted by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio

He was....decent, not bad, but he didn't knock my socks off

#39 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him a lot. He did a really good job as Peter Parker. He was a good Spider-Man. It really was more of a thing of the writers, cause I think they wanted to try and turn him into more of a darker hero, like they did with a lot of other heroes. I think they also wanted to move him away from the gadgets and being smart to make him not like Batman. It really was more of the writers faults.

#40 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

Tobey Maguire was terrible as Spider-Man. The scripts revolved around his love life. He found no clever way of subduing the villains. Had there been mechanical webshooters, it would have been the only way of knowing how creative he was really was. His face was wrong for the classic Peter Parker look and when he strained without his mask he looked as though someone wrapped his head with plastic wrap. He wasn't remotely funny. Also, he wasn't socially awkward at all: it seemed really forced from the delivery to the taciturn moments.

most of these points are about the script...not the actor.

And a good actor always reads the script before he signs on for the role. Case closed. The plastic wrap face was out of the writers' hands, though.

#41 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

Tobey Maguire was terrible as Spider-Man. The scripts revolved around his love life. He found no clever way of subduing the villains. Had there been mechanical webshooters, it would have been the only way of knowing how creative he was really was. His face was wrong for the classic Peter Parker look and when he strained without his mask he looked as though someone wrapped his head with plastic wrap. He wasn't remotely funny. Also, he wasn't socially awkward at all: it seemed really forced from the delivery to the taciturn moments.

most of these points are about the script...not the actor.

And a good actor always reads the script before he signs on for the role. Case closed. The plastic wrap face was out of the writers' hands, though.

The point being you would have hated the way parker was potrayed in the movies regardless of who was cast to play him...except perhaps you might have liked his face a little better.
#42 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: If they had switched Tobey Maguire's role with James Franco's, the movies might have been more tolerable. But given how much Sam Raimi loves his usual group of actors, any one of these people would have filled the nostalgia factor and did Spider-Man justice:

  • Bruce Campbell
  • His little brother
  • Kevin Sorbo
  • Young Hercules
  • Xena
  • Ares
  • Lucy Lawless
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
#43 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Shawnbaby: If they had switched Tobey Maguire's role with James Franco's, the movies might have been more tolerable. But given how much Sam Raimi loves his usual group of actors, any one of these people would have filled the nostalgia factor and did Spider-Man justice:

  • Bruce Campbell
  • His little brother
  • Kevin Sorbo
  • Young Hercules
  • Xena
  • Ares
  • Lucy Lawless
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
You know that Ryan Gosling was Young Hercules right?
#44 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

he was a good peter parker but not a extrovert, funny, talkative spidey. plus they never showed much of a scientist and genius he was in the movies. j. jonah jameson had all the funny parts.

#45 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

In a word, no. But I still enjoyed the first 'Spider-Man' film

#46 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Shawnbaby: If they had switched Tobey Maguire's role with James Franco's, the movies might have been more tolerable. But given how much Sam Raimi loves his usual group of actors, any one of these people would have filled the nostalgia factor and did Spider-Man justice:

  • Bruce Campbell
  • His little brother
  • Kevin Sorbo
  • Young Hercules
  • Xena
  • Ares
  • Lucy Lawless
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
You know that Ryan Gosling was Young Hercules right?

Yes, and I forgive him.

#47 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Shawnbaby: If they had switched Tobey Maguire's role with James Franco's, the movies might have been more tolerable. But given how much Sam Raimi loves his usual group of actors, any one of these people would have filled the nostalgia factor and did Spider-Man justice:

  • Bruce Campbell
  • His little brother
  • Kevin Sorbo
  • Young Hercules
  • Xena
  • Ares
  • Lucy Lawless
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Bruce Campbell
You know that Ryan Gosling was Young Hercules right?

Yes, and I forgive him.

#48 Edited by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

Tobey Maguire was an excellent Peter Parker. Spider-Man though? Not so much.

EXACTLY

#49 Posted by tootyghost (139 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a disgrace to the best superhero ever, Spiderman. For someone as great as Spiderman, you need a real heavy-duty actor playing him. I'm talking about Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt. Maybe even the guy from Jarhead. But Tobey Maguire? Who made that decision?

#50 Posted by Shawnbaby (10387 posts) - - Show Bio
@tootyghost said:

He was a disgrace to the best superhero ever, Spiderman. For someone as great as Spiderman, you need a real heavy-duty actor playing him. I'm talking about Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt. Maybe even the guy from Jarhead. But Tobey Maguire? Who made that decision?

WHAAAAT? did you just say Tom Cruise? Brad Pitt? I'm not saying Tobey Maguire was the best Choice...but at least he was somewhere near the right age.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.