Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

was spiderman 3 really that bad?

• 55 results
    manofsteel699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i agree with the fact that it wasn't the best of the trilogy but is it really the kind of movie that you would never see again in your life.

BigTimeSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people agreed that a lot of characters were rushed into it.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really like it. I won't call it an abomination or anything, I can at least sit through it (though the idiotic dance sequence with "bad boy" Peter pushes my limits) and there are even some parts I like (pretty much all of them involving Harry, I liked his role in the movie) but overall I don't care for it.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, yes it was really that bad.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Superguy0009e

Spider-Man 3 isn't a perfect movie, but it is far from one of the worst movies ever.

I think the two biggest issues with this movie are: 1. It came right after SM 2, one of the greatest superhero movies ever.

And 2. The addition of Venom. He wasn't terrible, but the dancing Peter really hurt the film and is probably the biggest mark against it.

Saying that, I still love all movies of the Spider-Man trilogy, it's just that 3 is most likely the worst of the three.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I feel like it was really bad, but it had some good things. Sandman was done really great. He was a character I always hated in the comic books, and they managed to turn him into a really interesting character study and sympathetic personality. The actor who played him did a great job. Second, Bryce Dallas Howard, my all-time favorite actress, did an AWESOME job as Gwen Stacy. Really likeable, and I actually liked her a BIT more than Emma Stone. Eh, maybe that's just the bias coming out.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, it was bad. I'm sorry, it is bad

GMilskiy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GMilskiy

The movie was awesome. Not as awesome as the 1st 2 films, but it was still awesome. The staleness of Mary Jane and the simplicity of Peter and Harrys relationship were the only 2 negatives.

In response to SpideyIvyDaredevil fan, I completely agree about the sand man thing. In the comics hes one of my least favorite villians (from the start). Hes just an average airheaded guy who want to get his revenge on spidey every issues he's in. In the movie though he was a decent man who was simply misunderstood, and seduced by Venom to get his revenge on the bug.

In response to Superguy, the dancing scene wasn't THAT bad, i think it was just symbolic of showing that the symbiote is blocking off the part of Peters brain that distinguishes right from wrong.

And to everyone. THAT SUIT WAS AWESOME.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It was bad:

-Too melodramatic

-Venom sucked

-Black suit sucked

-They tried to make black suit Peter evil, instead they made him a jerk.

-Harry Osborne goblin was lame

-Compared to the other 2 movies, the action scenes were not that great.

-Eddie Brock was lame

-Gwen Stacy appearence was too brief and felt more like a filler.

-Sandman as the Uncle Ben killer?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Yes. It was horrible. Off the top of my head:

• Dancing Tobey...just stop
    • We spend 2 whole movies waiting for Peter and MJ to get together in this film and they break up after an hour...sweet
    • Gwen Stacey is a ditzy, bubbly model? ...no
    • A villain like Venom shouldn't have share screen time with Sand Man and "New Goblin" harry.
    • Speaking of Venom Topher Grace sucks and almost ruins him.
    • Pete fails to kill Harry with a grenade, but the same grenades then later kill Venom and Sandman
    • Did I mention Tobey DANCING? in TWO different scenes?
    • They retcon Uncle Ben's killer to Sandman instead of the thief guy for convenience, and ruin any closure for that character

I could probably could have kept going except its been years since I've seend SM3 and I have zero desire to see it again. I've been meaning to watch Spider Man 2 at some point before TASM 2 comes out, but otherwise I'm thankful we have a new Spiderman franchise. Feels like it has way more potential than the first one did.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't hate it.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As someone who really enjoys most of the critically panned comic book movies (Daredevil, Green Lantern, etc). I thought it was pretty bad. Venom was done horribly. Both "evil" Peter and Eddie Brock were really cheesey. Its probably my least favorite CBM save Elektra.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the title.... No.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cameron83
    cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• We spend 2 whole movies waiting for Peter and MJ to get together in this film and they break up after an hour...sweet
    • A villain like Venom shouldn't have share screen time with Sand Man and "New Goblin" harry.
    • Pete fails to kill Harry with a grenade, but the same grenades then later kill Venom and Sandman
    • They retcon Uncle Ben's killer to Sandman instead of the thief guy for convenience, and ruin any closure for that character

I could probably could have kept going except its been years since I've seend SM3 and I have zero desire to see it again. I've been meaning to watch Spider Man 2 at some point before TASM 2 comes out, but otherwise I'm thankful we have a new Spiderman franchise. Feels like it has way more potential than the first one did.

Not only that,but was this the one with emo peter?

GAWD that was freaking atrocious.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: well Tobey was pretty emo through the whole series, but SM3 is where he flips his hair down and has eye-liner on.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the movie had plenty of other problems the dancing scene was just so over the top trying too hard that even if everything else was perfect it would still be tainted.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed that movie a lot actually. I do think it had several flaws but not enough for me to not be able to enjoy it.

I think they had too many villains. Venom was there for 5 minutes. Again, it had its flaws but I truly enjoyed it.

Eric Forman(forgive me) was surprisingly a decent Venom. Sandman was a great character. I got to see the Black Suit on the big screen.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: well Tobey was pretty emo through the whole series, but SM3 is where he flips his hair down and has eye-liner on.

jesus......

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not think it was bad but it was not up to the level of the first 2. The characters lacked depth, the whole movie felt rushed. I think if it had one villain and setup the next movie for Venom it could have been great.................without dancing.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

It was bad:

-Too melodramatic

-Venom sucked

-Black suit sucked

-They tried to make black suit Peter evil, instead they made him a jerk.

-Harry Osborne goblin was lame

-Compared to the other 2 movies, the action scenes were not that great.

-Eddie Brock was lame

-Gwen Stacy appearence was too brief and felt more like a filler.

-Sandman as the Uncle Ben killer?

Pretty much all of the above, To much crammed into one movie.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

No.Decent action.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Yeah it was awful.
    2 whole hours of Spiderman whining and being an a$$h0l& the villians were a joke,the action really wasn't that great.
    Anyway this was the worst movie of the trilogy by far and i don't get how the quality dropped so fast!

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad! Bad! Bad!

Godric_Talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought the entire trilogy sucked.

1. The black suit sucked

2. Eddie Brock and Mary Jane were both played by shitty actors

3. Tobey McGuire played a shitty spiderman

4. The attempt to make the internal conflict with spiderman was too rushed and not as captivating as one would have hoped.

5. Instead of being a sarcastic superhero struggling to balance his duties he was just portrayed as a whiny kid who grew into a jerk.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Peter dumped blonde Bryce Dallas Howard for Kirsten Dunst.

Yes, it was that bad.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when you thought Darth Vader was badass & then Lucas turned him into a whiny brat? That's what SM3 does for Peter Parker.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it had some of the best dancing scenes ever seen in film history.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Nah I've seen worse. It could've been a lot worse.

spideybigtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 4

I actually liked it. Sure it had a few problems like emo peter and stuff like that but all in all I think Raimi did a good job.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with all of this. The ending just was bland to me.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an ok movie, but as a comic fan, it was tough to watch.

-venom needed to be the star or not in it at all.

-the biggest mistake was killing Norman Osborn in the first movie.

-James Franco is a good actor, but he looked so stupid as goblin with his flying snow board, sword, and snake eyes mask.

- I admit that the way Spider-Man moved and fought looked just like spidey, but he just didn't seem like Peter Parker.

-FeliCa Harding should have been at least somewhat close to her character from the comics or not used at all. I would have rather seen Black Cat before The rushed Venom too.

- black suit Spider-Man's portrayal was unforgivable. That was terrible writing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually enjoy this movie far more than The Amazing Spider-Man. There, I said it. Spider-Man 3 has quite a few issues, but given all the crap that Raimi wanted to shove in the movie, he made it work as well as he could. Sure, it would've been nice if Harry and Venom had gotten more screen time, but the final product wasn't nearly as bad as everyone thought it was.

Everyone may complain about Peter being an emo, but the thing is, we're not supposed to like Peter while he's donning the black suit, so for me, those scenes were fine. And, yes, Venom was horribly butchered, but I'll give the movie props for its action sequences. The action sequences in this movie were better than the ones in TASM--at least I think so.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan: Dark Spidey was dark, aggressive, very violent and borderline psychotic sometimes. He almost killed a few of his villains - which I believe is one reason that helps to snap him out of it. (I don't know if I'm remembering comics or cartoons right now, so someone might have to clarify - its been awhile lol)

But thats why we didn't like him. Because he was everything Spidey wasn't. And we love Spidey.

He wasn't some lame-emo douche bag. He snapped out of his "Dark Side" in the movie because he was "showing off" and trying to make MJ jealous. So LAME.

Just because both versions got the same result, doesn't mean it had the same meaning to the audience or the character.

Also keep in mind. TASM is an origin story. SM3 was the 3rd movie. Sequels tend to have better action because the Superhero has all ready been established and doesn't spend half the film getting powers and becoming a hero. Look at Thor for example. No powers for most of the movie. Iron Man spends most of his movie building his suit. Batman Begins explored Bruce's psyche more than it had action it in. So on and so forth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: And this where I make the argument that TASM didn't need to the origin story again. :P

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lets put it this way, the 80's had Howard the Duck, the 90's had Batman and Robin, and the 00's had Spider-Man. Seeing those movies in the same category is usually a god awful thing.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@ryagan: Well there's a problem with that. You have to establish and origin story, its a necessary evil. Even if by now everyone knows how heroes become heroes you still have to set up a foundation for your franchise going forward. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

The key going forward is - especially for iconic heroes that have movies in the past - will be doing it an unique way. Which is why I loved Man of Steel so much with its non-linear story telling.

Besides. I felt TASM told the origin story better than Spider Man 1 did. A lot better. Now was it the best origin story every told? No - definitely not. But again you have to tell the story to step up the characters powers, his motivations, his experiences...etc, etc, etc. You also have to establish how its different.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

lets put it this way, the 80's had Howard the Duck, the 90's had Batman and Robin, and the 00's had Spider-Man. Seeing those movies in the same category is usually a god awful thing.

The 2000s have ghost rider and Hulk (2003). Those were really bad and worse than Spiderman 3

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#39  Edited By Extremis

I mean yeah it was pretty subpar. After seeing it on TV again it's not awful. Not very good though.

X3 Final Stand is worse IMO

rossco211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes it really was that bad and when compared to the amazing spider-man all 3 pale in comparison in every element, Garfield is a vastly better Peter Parker and spider-man than Toby ever was not mention the writing direction and overall telling of the story was much better and I for one am extremely excited for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and the base being put down for the introduction of a version of The sinister six

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
    deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, it would have been far better if they cut out the whole Sandman and Venom plots and focused on Peter with the black suit and its effects on him, him fighting Harry/New Goblin, and developing Eddie more to set up Venom for a fourth movie.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it was (is) really, really bad. I only saw it once and I promise myself to never see it again, and so far I have kept that promise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso: Give it another viewing. You might be surprised at how much you might enjoy it despite its problems. I remember not liking the movie very much when I walked out of the theater, but one day, I decided to watch it again, and while it definitely had some glaring problems, it was thoroughly entertaining.

It doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the "worst movies of all time" lists. Sure, it rightfully earns its spots on "most disappointing movies" lists, but like I said, it's pretty darn entertaining. Just make sure to brace yourself for "emo" dancing. On my second viewing of the movie, it was pretty dang cringe-worthy (though I don't mind it so much now)--it made me cringe more than the dialogue of the first Spider-Man. ("No, it's you who's out, Gobbie--out of your mind!")

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

looking back at the trilogy...none of them were really that good...the only good characterizations were Aunt May and Jonah...the rest of the characters were written completely out of character....ASM was a step in the right direction so hopefully ASM2 will be another step forward

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it as much as i liked the Amazing Spiderman reboot... AND I, WITH A PASSION hated the Amazing Spider-man BECAUSE of Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Peter Parker (but he was an 'amazing' Spiderman punpunpun). I really hated how they tried to Modernise a timeless character by giving him a speech impediment (THE ANNOYING MOUTH HANGING FACE when being asked questions ) and skating around like a cool kid.... He seemed to Cool to be someone like Peter Parker was. As for Spiderman 3, that 'trying to be cool' pete was equally terrible... the dancing and piano playing shit, WTF XD.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, I hate Maguire as both Spiderman & Peter Parker. Parker's a shy geek but he's not a whiney b*tch who can't keep his facial expressions under control for more than a minute. The first two films however had great plot settings & except for Maguire I really liked them. The third film was a catastrophe, shit it was so bad. I knew Maguire was gonna be annoying as usual, but damn!

And I can't understand why they made Mary Jane into such a spoiled little b*tch neither, was it just me or is she only sad because she's not "famous & loved by the public", what the hell kinda problem is that?

Last but not least, they used the undisputed heavyweight champs of Spiderman's villains & still made it boring as hell. How they managed to do that... I don't know... But yes, the movie was really that bad, tried to watch it again last week, made it through half an hour before I fell asleep of boredom.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

looking back at the trilogy...none of them were really that good...the only good characterizations were Aunt May and Jonah...the rest of the characters were written completely out of character....ASM was a step in the right direction so hopefully ASM2 will be another step forward

Jonah and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock imo. The latter was the whole reason why Spiderman 2 was good.

As for Jonah...JK Simmons is who played him. That was an AMAZING Performance. Seriously...just bring him back I don't even care...

But otherwise I agree. After watching the original trilogy again I didn't like any of them now that we have TASM. And I really can't stand Tobey at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I can't understand why they made Mary Jane into such a spoiled little b*tch neither, was it just me or is she only sad because she's not "famous & loved by the public", what the hell kinda problem is that?

I didn't like Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of Mary Jane much either. I don't really blame Kirsten Dunst, though; I blame the writing. And yeah, she probably wasn't the best casting choice for the character, but she still could've pulled off the confident, sassy Mary Jane we know and love from the comics. Her character in the movies was so generic and whiny, and it makes me wonder why, when her comic counterpart is far more interesting.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By Pokeysteve

Only the second half...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.