Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Very serious poll, PLEASE vote on Slott, Yes or no?

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By animehunter

Poll Very serious poll, PLEASE vote on Slott, Yes or no? (229 votes)

Yes 33%
    No 66%

I realise these sort of things aren't taken very seriously by most people. but with the news that Slott has remained the writer of the book. I think we have really decide on whether or not we are happy about this. forget sales figures, forget what other people think, forget the fact that he's been at it for 8+ years.

Just ask yourself do really want Slott to be the writer.

So I'm asking, PLEASE place your vote. on a YES or NO on whether Slott should have been made the writer again.

• 
    Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kcomicfan: I still rather see and read about it, rather than be told about. If what you said did indeed take place, Peter is more than capable of making his own way.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catty_spider1: Yep it sure would have man, what is JMO if you don't mind me asking?

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catty_spider1: oh I had a feeling that's what it meant lol, thanks for answering me.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:
    @catty_spider1 said:

@theheaven_guardian10: Agreed, I think if it had been Peter who got his success rather than Spock it may be different.

In the last volume of amazing Spider-man, Parker industrys was burned to the ground. Now Parker industrys is a world leading Technology corporation, Peter clearly did something to make the new Parker industry successful

We don't know that, it was off panel and with a business that he did not start, with tech he did not make. Let's not forget he also did not earn his PHD.

Something Clearly happened but they have not told us yet.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @catty_spider1 said:

@theheaven_guardian10: Agreed, I think if it had been Peter who got his success rather than Spock it may be different.

In the last volume of amazing Spider-man, Parker industrys was burned to the ground. Now Parker industrys is a world leading Technology corporation, Peter clearly did something to make the new Parker industry successful

We don't know that, it was off panel and with a business that he did not start, with tech he did not make. Let's not forget he also did not earn his PHD.

Something Clearly happened but they have not told us yet.

I agree, but we still don't know if it was due to Peter, only time will tell.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I am totally never on this forum (Xman guy!) and Im not a die hard Spider man fan, but I have been reading ever since about 5 or so issues before superior spiderman, and I have been nothing but a fan. Despite being a die hard X man fan he was able to convince me to subscribe to the series and it continues to be one of the ones i look forward to each month. This could just be a reflection on how sad it is for the X men, and how plagued we have been with Aaron and Bendis the last few years but yea, I am as a casual Spidey fan very Pro Slott

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409  Edited By Zarius

@mcklayn said:

I am totally never on this forum (Xman guy!) and Im not a die hard Spider man fan, but I have been reading ever since about 5 or so issues before superior spiderman, and I have been nothing but a fan. Despite being a die hard X man fan he was able to convince me to subscribe to the series and it continues to be one of the ones i look forward to each month. This could just be a reflection on how sad it is for the X men, and how plagued we have been with Aaron and Bendis the last few years but yea, I am as a casual Spidey fan very Pro Slott

The fact you're not a die hard fan is probably the problem. Die hard fans with long-term respect for the character's consistency and history are pretty much of the opinion Slott has ruined Spidey these last eight years and only gets said characters right once in a blue moon.

I'm sure as a long-term X-Men fan, your problems with the book are probably the same issues Spidey fans have with Slott, i.e Bendis having a fundamental misunderstanding of the core concept and characters.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @mcklayn said:

The fact you're not a die hard fan is probably the problem. Die hard fans with long-term respect for the character's consistency and history are pretty much of the opinion Slott has ruined Spidey these last eight years and only gets said characters right once in a blue moon.

I'm sure as a long-term X-Men fan, your problems with the book are probably the same issues Spidey fans have with Slott, i.e Bendis having a fundamental misunderstanding of the core concept and characters.

I agree, and you can add Quesada's name as the one who got the ball rolling with OMD. I actually stopped buying X-Men titles around the mid 90's. Just too many titles, too many characters and convoluted story lines to try and keep up with. :-D

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By Zarius

@magnetic_eye: Yeah, being a long-term X-Men fan, it hasn't been easy to stay attached to the books since they've gone through just as much bad turns writing wise as Spidey. I initially wanted to stop after they wrapped up the Legacy virus storyline but then Grant Morrison got the gig so I hung around, and then Joss Whedon came along. After he stopped, I zoned out for a few years. Bendis got me interested again but like with Avengers, he again failed at a team book. The O5 concept is something Marvel have unfortunatly run into the ground and characters like Jean and Iceman are completely unrecognisable now.

The best X-Men runs have actually been the three animated series in my opinion.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: I get excited every time we get a new writer just to get let down time and time again lol

Idk it just seems you get alot of consistency with a writer on the title 8 years, id would love for us to get some one to hang around longer then a year or two (just not bendis <.<) BRING BACK CLAREMONT DAMN IT!

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Has a big X-Men fan myself I feel your pain and sorrow, I haven't enjoyed an X-Book (Besides X-Force) since Schism. It has only gotten worse since then, now thanks to Bendis it is just putrid.

I was enjoying Slott's run very much until midway through Ends On Earth, since then it seem for ever progression and development Slott has given Peter, he has taken away and has made Peter look like a chump in comparison other characters. Plus he has alienated Peter from some of his most important women of his life. I enjoyed Slott run in the beginning very much, but I really do feel that he should have been of the book along time ago. Specially after Superior concluded.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@magnetic_eye: Yeah, being a long-term X-Men fan, it hasn't been easy to stay attached to the books since they've gone through just as much bad turns writing wise as Spidey. I initially wanted to stop after they wrapped up the Legacy virus storyline but then Grant Morrison got the gig so I hung around, and then Joss Whedon came along. After he stopped, I zoned out for a few years. Bendis got me interested again but like with Avengers, he again failed at a team book. The O5 concept is something Marvel have unfortunatly run into the ground and characters like Jean and Iceman are completely unrecognisable now.

The best X-Men runs have actually been the three animated series in my opinion.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ :-D

"Astonishing X-Men" was the last title I purchased.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By Zarius
    @mcklayn said:

@zarius: I get excited every time we get a new writer just to get let down time and time again lol

Idk it just seems you get alot of consistency with a writer on the title 8 years, id would love for us to get some one to hang around longer then a year or two (just not bendis <.<) BRING BACK CLAREMONT DAMN IT!

Yeah, it's a shame they have yet to give him a platform to use all of his original ideas from the 90s prior to quitting at the time. I know X-Men Forever was a platform for him a while back, but Claremont went a different route with some of those ideas.

Actually, the Forever titles was a very good idea at the time. There were plans even for John Bryne to come back and do one for Fantastic Four, but it fell through. I beleive this was also around the same time DeFalco and Mackie were invited back to write the 'proper' version of the Clone Saga, and if sales were good, to then do a Ben Reily title or something.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theheaven_guardian10: Agreed so much about the alienation thing. MJ is on Iron man and he's turned Felicia from a complex anti-hero into a cartoon villain.

The thing is he talked about this CBR and he thinks people are going to tell him they were wrong and admit he was right !

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?56798-PREVIEW-Amazing-Spider-Man-2/page5

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catty_spider1: What he did to MJ and Felicia was the last straw for me, since then I been disliking Slott's run. With each new issue that has came out.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

Great idea! If that happens, it may just get me to buy an X-Men title again. A writer of Chris Claremont's caliber would certainly bring consistency to a title. He has an excellent track record.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: Yup, is there a Spiderman writer that compares to claremont? Like you know a named that defined the character as much as claremont defined X men?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@magnetic_eye: Yup, is there a Spiderman writer that compares to claremont? Like you know a named that defined the character as much as claremont defined X men?

For my money, the definitive writers for Spider-Man are Lee/Ditko, DeFalco, Stern and DeMatties. David Micheline contributed a lot too and was one of the longest running writers on the book before Slott. They all had the one thing Slott can't capture and that is the Spidey voice

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@zarius said: They all had the one thing Slott can't capture and that is the Spidey voice.

Zarius has really nailed it as far as I'm concerned. Spidey's true character and voice has long been missing from the current version of Spider-Man.

Lee/Ditko

Gerry Conway

J.M Dematteis

David Michelinie

Peter David

Tom DeFalco

Roger Stern

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By kiba

@magnetic_eye: I thought straczynski had a good voice but Joe Q messed with him too much

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@magnetic_eye: I thought straczynski had a good voice but Joe Q messed with him too much

JMS had the voice, certainly. The most distinctly adult in tone next to JMD.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kiba said:

JMS had the voice, certainly. The most distinctly adult in tone next to JMD.

@kiba & @zarius

Yes! absolutely. How could I forget about JMS, a very prolific writer :-D Quesada's interference sucks big time.

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Straczyniski's run is one of if not my favorite runs in comics.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter David did some great things in the x verse isn't he writing 2099 I was thinking of picking it up just cause of him

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By animehunter

Please place your votes, I'd like to try for 200 if possible

StingSaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By StingSaw

I think Slott has overstayed his welcome in Spider-Man publications. His stuff before "Superior" was fairly standard fare- nothing exceptional, but nothing that should make any reasonable person hate his presence on the storyboard. He and Ramos made a decent team in making a new, iconic Spider-Man (Especially "Big Time".)

I also think it's important to acknowledge the development of side characters during his run thus far. Carly Cooper, Max Modell, Sajani (Last name escapes me), and in particular Anna Maria Marconi have all been memorable additions to the old-hat Spider-Man crew, and they've all been fairly strong characters in their own right. Not to mention his reintegration of Kaine and Miguel O'Hara (2099) back into relevance, causing two very well put-together series (albeit at the hands of other writers.)

He's also written Doc Ock better than anyone else to date, as far as I'm concerned. Even pre-superior, he had a lot of this stuff down, but I feel like the Superior run was when he peaked. ASM #700 is probably the singular issue he'll be remembered for most of all; it's still one of the most controversial issues released in the modern era. I don't particularly care for that book- it left quite a bitter taste in my mouth upon reading it all the way back when it was released. The death of Peter Parker in that issue was painful to read, and I feel it's important to remember that, in a very real sense, the character really did die in that issue.

I was so considerably offended by the events in 700 that I, like many at the time, boycotted Superior with something I can only describe in retrospect as righteous indignation. I didn't come around until 2014, when the status-quo was re-upped. The first few issues of the third volume ASM run didn't overly impress me, but they did encourage some curiosity in me as to what had gone on in the 33 some-odd issues of Superior that I had passed up.

So, I read them. And once I let go of the rage of what had happened to Peter, I actually had a hell of a time with them. They were edgy and compelling books that were exploring interesting and uncharted narrative territory. I consistently had to ask myself if I was rooting for or against Otto, which only serves to prove how well the story was put together. I was sorry to see the run end when it did, and I feel like everything Slott has done since has been quite underwhelming- or, worse, terrible.

Spider-Verse is the 'terrible' bit I just alluded to. What. A. Mess. I realize that Slott was FAR from the only writer tangled up in that web of garbage (pun intended), but that doesn't excuse the absolute pile of confusing and overblown fan service that was Spider-Verse as an event. I believe the main reason for how poorly Spider-Verse turned out is that everyone at Marvel wanted to top the wow factor that they had achieved with Superior. They came out firing from all cylinders, failing to realize that a lot of what they were shooting were blanks.

Some interesting things came out of it (Spider-Gwen... And what else?) sure, but it was so much more trouble than it was worth.

My point is that Slott should've dropped the mic after Superior, which, although still quite divisive, at least can be defended as a well-told story arc bases in semi-traditional narrative structure.

Everything since? Spectacle, and most recently, (ASM vol. 4) tedium.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73a0365070
    deactivated-57e73a0365070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e
    deactivated-5a42ac11a1d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stingsaw: Agreed for sure with that, well said indeed.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By blackspidey2099

@stingsaw: I agreed with everything you said except the last 5/6 words. I think ASM vol. 4 has been Slott's best on the title.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By Zarius

@stingsaw said:

I also think it's important to acknowledge the development of side characters during his run thus far. Carly Cooper, Max Modell, Sajani (Last name escapes me), and in particular Anna Maria Marconi have all been memorable additions to the old-hat Spider-Man crew,

I guarantee you noone is going to remember any of those characters once Slott leaves the book. People already have forgotten about Carlie and even Slott has admitted noone really took to her character.

Peter Parker died in 2007 when his original reality was erased by the deal with the devil, not in Issue 700 when the man-child of the Mephistoverse temporarily lost custody to Ock

Superior is probably THE worst Spider-Man story I have ever read. Worse than even OMD, and treated every character involved (with the exception of Slott's creations) with sheer disdain and insulted their intellect.

He should have bowed out with Renew Your Vows, even if that in itself wasn't steller, it proved he could write Peter and MJ well together and gave them an optimistic outcome

@blackspidey2099: I think you're overrating Vol. 4 tremendously, it does'nt feel all that different from Slott's usual dross and only two issues are out so far with a story barely over. Wait until the arc is complete before making a song and dance about the title, I also believe you're getting carried away only because you love the premise. I can understand that because I forgave RYV a lot for it's rather evident flaws because I enjoyed the premise, but Slott is still a pretty shakey writer even now and you should not lose sight of those shortcomings.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

I guarantee you noone is going to remember any of those characters once Slott leaves the book. People already have forgotten about Carlie and even Slott has admitted noone really took to her character.

Peter Parker died in 2007 when his original reality was erased by the deal with the devil, not in Issue 700 when the man-child of the Mephistoverse temporarily lost custody to Ock.

Superior is probably THE worst Spider-Man story I have ever read. Worse than even OMD, and treated every character involved (with the exception of Slott's creations) with sheer disdain and insulted their intellect.

He should have bowed out with Renew Your Vows, even if that in itself wasn't steller, it proved he could write Peter and MJ well together and gave them an optimistic outcome.

^^^^^SO VERY TRUE^^^^^ Very well said.

StingSaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To each their own. There's little doubt in my mind that Slott, like many Spidey writers before him, will be remembered fondly by some and wanting by others. When it's all said and done, I think all of this will make for richer and more potent storytelling in the future.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: You know what? Maybe you're right. I guess we'll have to see what I have to say once Slott's off. I can admit to being suckered in like this before (Spider-Verse), so this may be more of the same (hopefully not though).

TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: I guarantee you noone is going to remember any of those characters once Slott leaves the book. People already have forgotten about Carlie and even Slott has admitted noone really took to her character.

Peter Parker died in 2007 when his original reality was erased by the deal with the devil, not in Issue 700 when the man-child of the Mephistoverse temporarily lost custody to Ock

He should have bowed out with Renew Your Vows, even if that in itself wasn't steller, it proved he could write Peter and MJ well together and gave them an optimistic outcome

@blackspidey2099: I think you're overrating Vol. 4 tremendously, it does'nt feel all that different from Slott's usual dross and only two issues are out so far with a story barely over. Wait until the arc is complete before making a song and dance about the title, I also believe you're getting carried away only because you love the premise. I can understand that because I forgave RYV a lot for it's rather evident flaws because I enjoyed the premise, but Slott is still a pretty shakey writer even now and you should not lose sight of those shortcomings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So very extremely true and well said, I agree 130% with all that you said good sir.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: I mainly agree with your post. though I disagree partially about Superior being the worst ever (there's worse out there). The Body swap storyline has been around for ever in fiction. So using it was not a bad idea per say but where Slott went wrong was dragging it out as long as he did. It's a 1 maybe 2 part issue at best, certainly not a whole series. Also the characters involved in the swap have to learn something they hadn't before. Now it's been awhile but In this case I'm not sure that happened.

Though to me the worst thing is what he's done to Black Cat . He's basically scrapped decades of character development for the one of the crappiest heel turns ever. Hell he's even changed what the character is about to make it work.

@stingsaw: I think Slott is not completely awful but he's hardly great. I think the good and bad of Slott is highlighted in his latest issues. The dialogue is fun and the story goes along at decent pace. Then you get Peter discovering Sajani is selling company secrets and betraying him. What does he do:

1) Have her arrested and thrown in Jail

2) Simply fire her

3) Or have her reassigned so she will not be a threat anymore

4) None of the above and let her still run one of his offices and carry on as normal !

I will let you guess!

Regards Spider-Gwen to me it's just a gimmick that's cashing in on Emma Stones peformance but will probably die down soon.

Nathaniel_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

With all due respect but he has two great characters (Spiderman and Silver Surfer) but doesn't really realize how weirdly he writes their books and forgets the fact that they don't even fit into the story arcs at all considering their history and background. I think it has less to do with the quality of his comics, he's just been picked for the wrong characters.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By ZariusII
    No Caption Provided

PS: Slott and Simone are actually friends, but I just found that amusing.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: what's wrong with Cyclops? And I agree that's funny but would have been hilarious if she hated him.

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443  Edited By Draviex

Spider-Man just doesn't feel like Spider-Man anymore. He used to be like the X-Men. J. Jonah Jameson made everyone fear and hate Spider-Man, but in the end he still tries to rescue those who reject him. That trait was one of the reasons I fell in love with Spider-Man, but now he just doesn't seem the same to me. Everyone in the Marvel Universe likes him too much. This may sound selfish, but I don't think Spider-Man should be like that. I liked him better as the "menace" of society that was willing to take the responsibility of saving those who fear and despise him. Besides we know the real reason why Jonah doesn't like him.

Menace of Manhattan
    Menace of Manhattan
    The Real Reason Jonah Hates Spider-Man
    The Real Reason Jonah Hates Spider-Man

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Agreed. Just not the same.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it looks like his run is ending anyway. I heard that the Spiderman team has had enough of him.

Personally, I didn't like him for kinda teasing me. He made it seem like he was going to bring back MJ and Peter together only to pull the rug right under us with "Whoops! Doc Ock has taken over Peter and has chased her away!"

You have no idea how much that infuriated me, especially that after Peter got his body back, he never went back to her. Really nice to do to all of us who loved Peter and MJ's marriage.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: where did you hear that the team is done with him?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: No real valid source to speak of. Just friends and co-workers saying so and even pointed out the editors of the Spiderman comics have tweeted some rather angry posts about Slott. Also, people have been saying his run is almost up and suspicion points to Bendis taking over.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By ZariusII

@itsaworld said:

Well it looks like his run is ending anyway. I heard that the Spiderman team has had enough of him.

Personally, I didn't like him for kinda teasing me. He made it seem like he was going to bring back MJ and Peter together only to pull the rug right under us with "Whoops! Doc Ock has taken over Peter and has chased her away!"

You have no idea how much that infuriated me, especially that after Peter got his body back, he never went back to her. Really nice to do to all of us who loved Peter and MJ's marriage.

Yeah, but nobody was acting in-character in Superior and were all acting like idiots. Slott's been known to insinuate that something is "off" about Peter and MJ's behavior around one another, and he's also hinted that chaos magic has quite a strong grip on this particular version of the Marvel Universe. OMD altered reality and everyone's personalities to a substantial degree, and a chaos demon was at the forefront of that.

Slott's of the opinion that if he can't have Peter and MJ married, their relationship will always be stuck at a certain level and he feels it's more creatively liberating to place them in a position where there's tension and that they are odds. He can write Peter and MJ well together when he wants to (Spider-Island, the daily strip portion of Spider-Verse, Renew Your Vows), but he's said on CBR several times he's not allowed to use Peter and MJ in the way he'd like to, and also that the next writer who replaces him won't be allowed to do so either.

Do any of your friends and co-workers work for Marvel? Or is this just office banter?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Office banter. I cant believe that still the higher ups refuse to let their relationship be restored at all! What's it gotta take to get the original story back on track? Do we really gotta wait for the editors and others of the spidey team step down?

Even DISNEY puts in this kinda relationship in their stuff. Everyone else seems pretty okay with Peter and MJ being together so why cant the spiderman team be okay with this?!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450  Edited By ZariusII

@itsaworld said:

@zariusii: Office banter. I cant believe that still the higher ups refuse to let their relationship be restored at all! What's it gotta take to get the original story back on track? Do we really gotta wait for the editors and others of the spidey team step down?

Even DISNEY puts in this kinda relationship in their stuff. Everyone else seems pretty okay with Peter and MJ being together so why cant the spiderman team be okay with this?!

I know right? At a time where most of Marvel's well loved relationships have been destroyed, and their longest-standing couple, Reed and Sue, don't even get stories published about them anymore, Peter and MJ ought to be the one fans can count on to stand the test of time. In some ways it still does (newspaper strip), but that's not to everyone's satisfaction (I'm more than satisfied with it though, even Slott had Karn decree it as the "most innocent" of all of the Spider-Man realities)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.