Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man memories...

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ngroove

Back when I was 10-11, getting into Spider-Man comics, I indeed had two alternatives; the clone saga, in their often complicated-ness ( with who's Peter Parker, who's the clone, ect) or, Untold Tales of Spider-Man.  Light, purely old-fashioned, a then-still developing Spider-Man against classics villains, as well as a teenage Peter Parker, eating Aunt May's wheatcakes, and facing the nerd's life in Midtown High.   Guess which of the two I would often grab off of the racks at Wal-Mart?   

This thread shall be a place to share memories, favorite issues, what made that short-lived title so great while it lasted. 

Favorite Issues: 

#5: " Throw Spidey From the Train". 
                  My first Untold Tales issue.   Featuring the "old-time" Vulture ( there was indeed a "new-time" of him aswell around the time, young, rejuvenated, often at the cost of others' lives).     But yeah, as always, don't let his age fool ya'; he's a deadly bird of prey oftentimes even more dangerous than most over half his age.   Also guest appearance by General "Thunderbolt" Ross; what a delightful surprise!

#7: "On the Trail of the Amazing Spider-Man" 
       Easily, my then-instant reason for getting that issue around the time ( early 1996), was Electro, in his classic green-and yellow costume, with lightning bolt mask.   Starting with page 7; how can anyone not say this is any less than chilling foreshadowing: 

( Yes, that mad doctor - or should I say "Eye Doctor" figure is none other than Winslow Winkler - who would later aid the Kingpin on his "brainwashing" scheme in Amazing Spider-Man #59-61!  But that story, he was aiding Electro, in a "brainwashing" scheme to make the common men rob for them! 

Yet, there was also another pretty good reason why that issue made great fond memories. 

Sally Avril.     

Sure, most these days, will mostly refer her, as A) the girl in Amazing Fantasy #15 that told Peter off, with "you're not my type", or B) Dead.    For thirteen issues worth of Untold Tales, she was the life of the party, the center of our attention, of the popular clique crowd.   And with Jason Ionello, they would go where the action is, whether with camera, or for an all-too brief time, as Bluebird, highly inexperienced wannabe costumed hero, carrying almost too useless ether "eggs" that wouldn't work unless right at someone's face ( although it had been put in good use against the Scarlet Beetle once) and some gynastic training, more than coupled with pure enthusiasm, which she even helped doing her part on putting the kibosh on Electro - twice.   Andddd, she also kinda had some fun embarassing Petey infront of Betty Brant - whether she meant to or not!   Sally Avril - full of fun, full of life.  It truly hitted me, by issue #13, like a ton of bricks, when that incident happened, without warning, a speeding bus, yet it was still her fault - the car she was with in which Jason was driving, she was egging him on to catch up to the scene of Spidey's battle with the Black Knight, sped past a red light - he didn't even have a driver's license.  RIP.   

#9; "Monster Mash". 

99% instantly bought it, for the presence of the Lizard, retro-toothless, even dare I say, froggy-lookin' and all. 

The 1% is for, of course, the other player of that story, Batwing.  As 99% couldn't really care less for him, and his appearances spread out all through the series, compared to the classic Lee-Ditko villains I crave for, the 1%, deep down, feels sorry, for the monstrous Bat creature, that underneath, is just a kid, turned into said monster, with a face not even his mother would love for quite a while, involving, of course, radiation, phosphorescent water.       

#10: " Conquered By Commanda" 
    As mentioned, I did not care for the "Untold Tales Originals"; placed in Spidey's past; Scorcher, Batwing, Spacemen, Headsman.  Commanda, however, was an exception.  Why?  That's easy. 

Nuff' said! 

Andddd, #16, " The Boy Next Door".   The cover alone, instantaneous buy: 

That's right, Mary Jane Watson! 

Half the story, indeed, is the world, in MJ's eyes, even she and Aunt Anna, caught in the scene of a battle between Spidey and Radioactive Man, included!   MJ, not so long after witnessing Peter crawling out his window as Spider-Man, yet still long before they met, with " Face it Tiger, you've just hit the jackpot!".   MJ, wondering, about the risks, her own bookish, shy, next door neighbor takes on, as a thrilling, fun-loving superhero. 

sharky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By sharky64

wow I will see if I could get one of those

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Radread

Great trip down memory lane. My favorites were the first 12 issues and the Vulture story lines.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.