Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Tobey Maguire returning as Spidey?(HEAR ME OUT)

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Tobey Maguire returning as Spidey?(HEAR ME OUT) (29 votes)

Yes, Great Idea! I loved Tobey. 21%
    Yeah, but not as a teen. 17%
    No, he was good, but it's time to move on. 24%
    No, he sucked!!!! 14%
    Bring Back Garfield. 17%
    Give another actor a chance. 7%
    Bring in Miles! 0%
    I don't really care. 7%

In recent news, Sony finally announced that they will work with Marvel to bring Spiderman, along with all his supporting cast, to the MCU. Immediatley rumors arose that Garfield will not be returning as Spiderman, and a few days later this was confirmed by Sony. In this agreement, Marvel stated that they wanted Spider-Man to return to Highschool for yet a third time. Now whether or not it will be Peter or Miles is unknown (though I will make a safe bet and say they should really bring back Peter, and there is really no other option) is yet to be unknown, but what we do know is that Peter is set to make his first appearance in the civil war.

Earlier in late 2014 around the time Sony emails were leaked, news surfaced that Maguire and Raimi were actually wanted back for an Amazing Spiderman 3 (for whatever reason), after Amazing Spiderman 2 failed so horribly. Though these plans were never followed through with, recently about 3 days ago, Mr. Maguire, now 39(soon to be 40) admitted he would love to return as Spider-Man. Now if Marvel is actually are serious about their plans to return Peter to high school, this would be a terrible idea, and not just for the obvious reason (a 40 year old Maguire playing as a teen). Here's why.

Reason #1: Peter was a full grown adult in Civil War

During the civil War period, it was established that Spiderman was a high school teacher in his mid-to-late twenties, not a highschoooler, and not even a college kid. He was already an older individual. It would make no sense to bring Peter back to Highschool. In the Civil War arc, Spidey is a well known, most beloved hero in all of New York, and when he unmasked himself and brought to light that he was Peter, everyone was shocked. No one was expecting the nerdy everyday high school teacher to be the daring icon of a hero in Spiderman. Bringing him back to high school will take ALL of that away.

Reason #2: We have too many origin stories

Literally everyone who knows Spiderman already knows his background; he's a nerdy 15-16 year old living with his aunt after his uncle was murdered in cold blood, and who can never ever seem to keep a smoking hot nerd that fits him perfectly. I know what your thinking, "It's only been two times", but that's the point. I guarantee you 90% of the people who will be watching the MCU Spidey will have already seen the previous two sereis, so why make us sit through another highschool filled drama that is Peter's life?

Now here's why I think they should get Maguire and Raimi back, and how it could work.

Reason #1: We can get JK Simmons back

As a Maguire fan, I have to admit, any one can play a decent Peter, but few can portray J. Johnah Jameson better than JK. He got literally everything right; the hair, the demeanor, his mistreatment of Peter, and of them all, his loud, abrupt attitude. He was pure gold, and I want him back.

Reason #2: I actually thought Tobey was a great Peter

All I hear and read is that "Tobey was a crybaby". What do you expect? I though he nailed the role; Peter grew up as barely knowing his parents, being bullied in high school, worked for a crappy job where he was underpaid, his farther figure died, two of the men he looked up to as mentors died partially due to him, and he could barely keep the only girl he could get. In the comics Peter was never a tough-as-nails character, and neither was Maguire. He was an actual nerd, while throughout the Amazing Spiderman movies Garfield felt more like an outcast more than a dweeb. Sure, he was slightly bullied in highschool, but that's all to it; he got the job he wanted, the girl he wanted, we never really see him struggle for anything, and he didn't even try to solve the mystery of who killed his uncle. Plus, at least Tobey had some muscle mass on him.

How it could work #1: He went into retirement

After Spiderman 3,we got a very vague ending to the series. We don't really know what happened to Peter's life after the events. Did he get married? Did he feel so guilty about the death of his best friend that he hang the suit up? Did he have kids? This gives us a great opportunity to answer all of this. Let's say he chose option two and decided to retire. That would explain why he never appeared or was mentioned during the battle in New York. Marvel could go the route of that due to all the turmoil going on in the world, Spidey would notice that he was still needed and come out of hiding. He joins Ironman's side in the registration act, unmasks himself, an we all get the suspense we got in the comics, including JJJ going berserk after finding out his top employee was the 'freak' he despised all this time. This would permit all the previous events as canon with out messing with any of the current events in the MCU.We will get the adult Spidey that was seen in Civil War, and Tobey will still be age appropiate for the role. A second benefit from this is that Marvel could still bring in a young Miles Morales, opening up an opportunity for Donald Glover, as a young hero for Maguire to mentor. Not only are the die hard Peter Parker fans are pleased, but also the fans who wanted a black Spidey.

Reason #2: Alternate dimensions

In Thor: The Dark World, we get to experience with alternate dimensions. With this opens up a plethora of opportunities. Marvel could say that one of the infinity gems transported Earth-Sony's Spiderman to the MCU. Everything before would be canon, we can still get Miles Morales, and everyone is happy.

So these are just my thoughts on how they can do it. I just wish a Marvel/Sony exec could see this, because this could really work.

• 
    ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Will Poulter

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't go back and edit my post(you guys need to fix that bug). But as to Maguire being a cry baby, he cried a total of 3 times in 3 films; Garfield cried a total of two times in 3 films. Your point is?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leonardo DiCaprio, is that you? Tobey Maguire can't ride your coattails forever.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Tobey play Spiderman agains, bring back Adam West for Batman.
    If Tobey play Spiderman agains, bring back Adam West for Batman.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@deathpoolthet1000: To be honest, I never thought Adam West was a good Batman, and that show was God-awful.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000
    Leesagirlsname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Leesagirlsname

I don't know how people can expect a full grown Spiderman to just show up out of nowhere. Yeah, he's fully grown in Civil War because he GREW UP in the universe it took place in. He was there for years doing his thing in New York and you would have had to be a caveman to not have heard of or seen him doing it.

You can't expect a fully grown Spidey to pop up in New York, where events have already taken place, unless you want to completely change his timelines. When he got bit, what he'd been doing up until that point, the people in his life that would have been affected differently as a result.

I'm totally fine with them doing a young Spidey again. Just as long as they don't waste time with another typical reboot. They've done it enough, everyone knows now. There are better ways to show a characters backstory without dedicating an entire movie to it.

PS: Garfield is the best Spidey so far.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ew. Tobey was horrible. Might've been the script though.

Leesagirlsname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman:

I didn't much like him either. But yeah, I think a lot of that can be blamed on Raimi and the writers.

But his biggest problem is that he can't quip. Didya notice that he quippd a little in the first film, but that they totally dropped it in the second and third? You can't be Spidey and not quip.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pizzaman:

I didn't much like him either. But yeah, I think a lot of that can be blamed on Raimi and the writers.

But his biggest problem is that he can't quip. Didya notice that he quippd a little in the first film, but that they totally dropped it in the second and third? You can't be Spidey and not quip.

Tobey seemed more like a random depressed guy in a Spider-Man suit then Spider-Man. Gonna miss Garfield. I thought he did good.

Leesagirlsname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leesagirlsname

@pizzaman:

Bfffft, Toby is pretty good at crying, you have to give him that. ;)

Yeah. Hopes are not high that they'll get someone better than Garfield. But you never know. There's a lot of untapped talent out there.

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -daydream-

Tobey isnt the guy to be blamed for the poor 3rd movie, but it is better to make a total fresh start, a young Petey and a new actor...and what makes you think the Civil War movie will be like the Civil War comics we have read ? it will be alike, but i am almost sure it wont be the Civil War we know (otherwise it had to be an Avengers movie, not a Cap movie, doesnt matter how much other characters appear in the movie as cameo), so nobody will care if the Peter was a grown up in the Civil War storyarc or not, its a superbly little detail for the producers who wont even make a direct adaptation of the story..

and what does it even have anything to do with JK Simmons being back? as if he said 'dude, i come back only Tobey comes back' ...

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Cream_God

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He was a good Peter Parker but he sucked as Spider-Man.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpiderMan  127: The Web Of Nostalgia!!!
    SpiderMan 127: The Web Of Nostalgia!!!

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: perfectly summed up. in the 3rd film he looked 35. hell, in the second film he looked 32. not only as he bad and miscasted but he was just too old to play a college student.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: perfectly summed up. in the 3rd film he looked 35. hell, in the second film he looked 32. not only as he bad and miscasted but he was just too old to play a college student.

High school students in television look nothing like high school students in real life (well, not always), for one good reason: they're often played by actors who are upwards of fifteen years older. This dates back to the earliest days of Hollywood, if not further, making it Older than Television. Despite this trope being a prime source for ridicule, mockery, and parody, there are actually a lot of legitimate reasons for why this is done. Among them include stricter rules for employing children and limitations on what they are allowed to perform on camera, or at the very least Ability Over Appearance. See the Analysis Page for more details.This happens when dealing with teenage characters in the range of 14-18 years old, especially in dramatic shows. If younger, casting usually tries for children actors, and if older it is simply far less noticeable. If a show or movie carries a greater focus on the adults rather than the kids then they will usually avert this. This ought to be horribly distracting, but by and large, television audiences have learned to manage. It is so ingrained into our mindset that almost all aversions end up being notable.

• Smallville
      • 24-year-old Tom Welling, and (let's face it) pretty much everyone else except Lex Luthor, who is supposed to be several years older. But Tom is particularly noticeable, as the character is fourteen in the pilot. How many fourteen-year-olds are built like a tank? (Then again, this is Clark Kent.) He's fourteen in human years, remember. Goodness knows what is in Kryptonian.
      • Although Kristen Kreuk, and Allison Mack were just barely 18 at the start. Michael Rosenbaum was 29 playing the supposedly 21-year-old Lex. It doesn't seem so bad once you get out of the teen years.
      • Sam Jones III (Pete Ross) was also 18 at the start.
      • Erica Durance was 26 when she first appeared. Lois is supposed to be 19 at the time.
      • Tom Welling is two years older than Brandon Routh (Clark/Superman in Superman Returns), yet plays the same character at a much earlier point in his life (although admittedly in a different continuity). Welling also began playing Clark at about the same age (maybe a year younger) that Christopher Reeve made his screen tests to play Superman in the mid-1970s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.