Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

To ALL, Do U want Slott & Lowe off Spider-Man? Please Answer

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll To ALL, Do U want Slott & Lowe off Spider-Man? Please Answer (52 votes)

Dan Slott - Off 62%
    Dan Slott - Stay 27%
    Nick Lowe - Off 31%
    Nick Lowe - Stay 17%
    Don't Care either way 8%

I'VE ALLOWED FOR MULTIPLE CHOICES

Make sure to tick who you want off Spider-Man and who you want to stay on Spider-Man or if you want both off or both to stay

I would REALLY like everyone's opinion on this, I'm trying to get a good idea of where everyone stands on this question.

and if you can please give your reasons for your answer.

ME

I want both off Spider-Man or any Spider title for that matter, Dan for what he's done not only to Spider-Man but all the other characters and Lowe of allowing it to happen.

Personally I want everything taken back to before the whole Maphisto, OMD thing, hell before Slott even got his hands on it.

• 
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Scott off, Lowe I don't know.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

I like them though I know I am going to be among the minority

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Slott's stories. They are fun and entertaining and full of action. I think he has a solid grasp on Spider-man and Peter Parker. I think it's a good comic that I look forward to reading.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Slott has done legitimately good things with Peter. He's made great Chara term progression starting with Big Time all the way through Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth. Spidey expanded his arsenal and skills as a hero and Peter solidifying his life as a scientist.

However, ever since around No Turning Back Slott has seemed to have gotten lazy. Superior was just disappointing, just wasted potential that made Spidey's supporting cast look dumb. Now that Peter is back he's been made to look a fool more often than not, rather than the savvy hero Slott originally turned him, or started to, into.

So while I admit I really liked Slott in the past, I do think it's time for him to go.

At least he gave us Agent Venom, though. Now Bendis is mucking that one up.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I like Slott. He's given us Agent Venom, Big Time and Spider-Island. He's actually a good writer.

But yeah, his writing now has gotten a bit meh. I think it's time for a change :)

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Slott out of there!

Beata

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want ramos out. :(

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Slott's NEEDED off the book,and Lowe is just a puppet.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Everyone who's working on Spiderman right now needs to be kicked off and replaced. If anyone needs a creator refresh, it's Spidey.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Slott still has potential to do great things with Spider-man but I wouldn't mind at all a new writer taking over. Really I just agree with @LastOblivion, it would be nice to see Ramos off as his art is some of my least favorite on any Spidey team. Make Coipel full time and I would be ecstatic.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zarius

I'm willing to let Lowe off the leash at the moment, he seems to be reinvigorating the female Spider-line, although I hate what's been done to Black Cat and Mayday under his watch.

Slott on the other hand has had eight years to muck it all up. In that period he has done more damage to the mythos than any one writer combined. He's had some grand ideas, but he's never stuck the landing on many of them, that's mainly been left to the more talented people working on tie-in books. Spider-Verse is the latest sad example of this, where the main story is bollocks and the tie-ins are mainly great. He's also incapable of listening to criticism and handles himself in an unprofessional manner online. How he has fans absolutely befuddles me, I think anyone who likes his stuff doesn't value Spider-Man's mythos or characters as much as they think they do, otherwise they'd see right through him and demand a better product.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it time for another writer to take over the main Spider-man title, Spider verse started off alright but it kind of lost its focus.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them but I'm ready for something new. They haven't been all that great lately.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see both off.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel has done so much to the character I really don't care anymore.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

I'm willing to let Lowe off the leash at the moment, he seems to be reinvigorating the female Spider-line, although I hate what's been done to Black Cat and Mayday under his watch.

Slott on the other hand has had eight years to muck it all up. In that period he has done more damage to the mythos than any one writer combined. He's had some grand ideas, but he's never stuck the landing on many of them, that's mainly been left to the more talented people working on tie-in books. Spider-Verse is the latest sad example of this, where the main story is bollocks and the tie-ins are mainly great. He's also incapable of listening to criticism and handles himself in an unprofessional manner online. How he has fans absolutely befuddles me, I think anyone who likes his stuff doesn't value Spider-Man's mythos or characters as much as they think they do, otherwise they'd see right through him and demand a better product.

100% Agreed. Slott's style is better suited to writing goofy kids books, or Saturday morning cartoons, not iconic super hero books. He has no definitive understanding at all of Peter Parker's character.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want ramos out. :(

IMO, the worst Spider-Man artist perfectly paired up with the worst Spider-Man writer ever.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AmazingSpiderDan

I voted "Off" for both.

@zarius said:

When it comes to Spider-Man, Dan Slott isn't necessarily the most ideal writer of them all. His best work in my opinion was one of his worst ideas; Superior Spider-Man. A story where Otto Octavius swapped bodies with Peter Parker and became Spider-Man. The most frustrating part of it to me was not the fact Otto Octavius was swinging around as Spider-Man and people believed he was Peter Parker, but the fact the Otto Octavius arguably was a better Spider-Man than Peter Parker himself. So what should Peter do after the events of Superior? Despite the menace reputation Otto left him that he was easily able to brush off by saying "We switched bodies, but I'm back now" does he reap the benefits of having an upgraded costume, and new Spider-Man tech to help him be the best Spider-Man he can be? No, he sure doesn't. As deep into detail as I can go when it comes to talking about my gripes with Slott, I just can't hold an anymore. My interest rate is going at a steady decline.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find anything appealing about Dan Slott's Spider-Man. He's just not special.

No Caption Provided

Slott can argue "sales, sales, sales" all he wants, but seriously; it's The Amazing Spider-Man, of course it's going to sell. I can't lie when I say Dan Slott has come up with some pretty decent events for Spider-Man, but his execution is so poor. I'm definitely going to drop the Amazing Spider-Man title after Spider-Verse is over. I've given Dan Slott too much time and patience to make me want to keep reading, which is sad, because Spider-Man is my favorite hero of all time. Despite the fact Miles Morales is the one shooting the webs, he's still a more outstanding Spider-Man than Dan Slott's Peter Parker. I can reread all of Ultimate Spider-Man and never get bored. But I digress. When it comes to Brian Michael Bendis, I can go on, and on, and on. I can't speak for everyone, but I've had enough of Dan Slott and his team.

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand Slott's obsession with the character but it's no longer fair that there aren't alternatives anymore. For a time we had Ultimate Spider-Man, Sensational, Friendly Neighborhood, Web of, Avenging, adjective-less Spider-Man, and even Superior Team-Up. If people didn't like one Spider-Man series, they could still read a different title to get their Spider-Man fix. But nowadays, it's JUST Slott's Spider-Man. I mean, we have Miles, but he isn't Peter, so I don't count it. If Slott is going to stay for the foreseeable future, at least give readers a second title as an alternative.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Slott still has potential to do great things with Spider-man but I wouldn't mind at all a new writer taking over. Really I just agree with @LastOblivion, it would be nice to see Ramos off as his art is some of my least favorite on any Spidey team. Make Coipel full time and I would be ecstatic.

I agree 100%. And coipel as a regular, omg, that would be beyond awesome!
    Too bad that he didn't even draw spider-verse completely... At least he's coming back for the next issues.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pizzaman

Want both gone.Tired of Slott and his fanfics.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, Dan Slott did have Silver Sable acknowledge her feelings for Spider-Man, as well as renew The Black Widow's friendship with him as well. In addition, Nick Lowe has finally answered my prayers by integrating Jessica Drew into Spider-Man's world, which was something that should have been done more than 35 years ago. I hope to see Jessica's friendship with Peter is flushed out in the same manner as it was with Carol Danvers and Felicia Hardy. Now if only Lowe can do the same with Psylocke, Jennifer Walters(human side), and Natasha Romanov.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott already made his feelings about your pairings clear over on CBR mate. Peter and Jennifer is not happening under his watch

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By animehunter

@darthfury78: About Felicia, have you forgotten what he allowed Slott to do to her, why do you think I want both off the book. Not only that, after having Silver Sable acknowledge her feelings for Spider-Man, he killed her off, with the only indication of her return was what what Julia Carpenter says, but nothing since.

Of course those aren't the only reasons, of course there is what he did to Spidey himself and to Mary Jane and let definitely no forget his writing.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darthfury78

@zarius said:

Slott already made his feelings about your pairings clear over on CBR mate. Peter and Jennifer is not happening under his watch

Who said that Slott would be writing the story? I am sure that he opposed Peter Parker and Carol Danvers as well. He even said on his old Fromsprings account that if he had written the date between Peter and Carol, that he would have one of them be a Skrull imposter.

@animehunter said:

@darthfury78: About Felicia, have you forgotten what he allowed Slott to do to her, why do you think I want both off the book. Not only that, after having Silver Sable acknowledge her feelings for Spider-Man, he killed her off, with the only indication of her return was what what Julia Carpenter says, but nothing since.

Of course those aren't the only reasons, of course there is what he did to Spidey himself and to Mary Jane and let definitely no forget his writing.

I have not forgotten about what Slott's done to Felicia. Everytime when I see her, I do everything in my power to ignore any of her up in coming appearance because of what Slott has done to the character, which is an awful dialog.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By animehunter

I'm beginning to think that at the next convention there should a walk out during the Spider-Man Panel and at every other convention until Slott is gone.

simply, people go to the panel and when it starts people walk out or if Slott is attending wait for him start speaking and then walk out.

but that's just me.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noble idea, but fans are too polite at these things to even cross that line.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By albusan

I think Slott has really pushed Spider-Man to be more than street level. I like his work.

My think Marjorie Liu would do Spider-Man justice. Look at the good work she did for Ice-Man.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zarius

If you're not doing street level, you're not doing Spider-Man properly. Fact.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

I think Slott has really pushed Spider-Man to be more than street level. I like his work.

My think Marjorie Liu would do Spider-Man justice. Look at the good work she did for Ice-Man.

I wished that Marjorie Liu should do a Spider-Man x Black Widow team-up adventure.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

I don't know about Lowe as I'm not to familiar with his work but Slott definitley needs to go away. His characterization is non existent. His plots have clear contrivances and holes in them. Most of the best stuff from his ideas comes from someone else. The man also cannot take criticism at all.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about Lowe as I'm not to familiar with his work but Slott definitley needs to go away. His characterization is non existent. His plots have clear contrivances and holes in them. Most of the best stuff from his ideas comes frome someone else. The man also cannot take criticism at all.

Nick Lowe is the editor of Amazing Spider-Man and other Spider titles, I added him because not of what Slott wrote would have have happened without his ok.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it's way too soon to lump Lowe in with Slott without knowing what Nick's master plan for the range is yet, so far he's had a good pedigree of writers on every title barring ASM, and is leading awareness of the female-led portion of the brand

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Slott off. I can't imagine how someone could manage to make "A team up of every Spider-man ever!" into such a dull joyless affair, but he managed it.

DecadentFairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DecadentFairy

I've not followed since SSM, but I've always found Slott's writing a bit too, ahem, comic-booky. Camp you might say. I agree with some other posts that his stories are fair, but the writing appalls me. Although it did actually mesh nicely with SSM which was shockingly enjoyable for me.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I am not reading any Spiderman books at the moment - thanks Spiderverse...

I think he writes a funny comic, but I want some Spider action PLEASE...the fact that my 9 year old loves it is pretty telling.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

I completely disagree. Just Spidey's powers alone make him quite above street level. Combined with his supreme intellect, he has the potential to be at least planet level, if not cosmic level.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Slott is one of the greatest Spiderman writers period no doubt. I love what he's done but I dool feel like his time is high and that he should bow out soon and let someone else take over.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zarius

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Slott is one of the greatest Spiderman writers period no doubt

There is always room for reasonable doubt. Especially with Slott's slop.

@blackspidey2099 said:

@zarius said:

I completely disagree. Just Spidey's powers alone make him quite above street level. Combined with his supreme intellect, he has the potential to be at least planet level, if not cosmic level.

Again, that's not what most people read Peter Parker for.

You want that stuff, go read Fantastic Fo...oooh wait

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.