Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

TMNT is Basically TASM

Avatar image for marvelcinematicfanatic
    MarvelCinematicFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking back at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, it is basically a rehash of The Amazing Spider-Man, just with more turtles. Below, I have listed some similarities that are just off the top of my head.

• April O'Neil and Peter Parker, our protagonists, both had fathers who worked in genetic research.
    • Their father's genetic research ultimately resulted in the creation of our heroes.
    • Their fathers both met bad people during their careers, resulting in their deaths.
    • The antagonists who both worked with the protagonist's father lost all research during the death of the father.
    • The protagonist later discovered their father's research and went to the father's partner, resulting in the antagonist's evil plan.
    • Both antagonists work with large, corrupted corporations.
    • The antagonists both plan to release a serum developed during the research with the protagonists father over the city, from the top of their corporation's building.
    • The final battle takes place on the roof of the evil corporation's building.
    • The protagonists are not physically matched with their enemies, causing the antagonists to not actually be defeated by the heroes, only to have a cop-out defeat.
    • The protagonists are thrown off of the side of the building, only to make it in the end.
    • The serum is stopped, after being released over the city.
    • The destruction from the final battle results in a tower collapsing from the top of the building.

There was some obvious inspiration here. It's also ironic that The Amazing Spider-Man came out during early development of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Both are dark takes on normally lighthearted childhood icons, which probably drove the inspiration.

My question is, do you think that this was cheap and intentional, or was this just a massive coincidence?

kaine_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmao idk coincidence maybe

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was intentional. I also don't know why every movie has to be "dark". Like the tone of the first Amazing Spider-Man movie. Not saying that I didn't enjoy these movies because I did.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By never give up

bump

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are dark takes on normally lighthearted childhood icons, which probably drove the inspiration.

Believe it or not, TMNT was originally dark and gory. The first issue of the first comic had the turtles defeat Shredder and demand he commit honor suicide, before throwing him off of a building. Btw, that's likely where the climax of the movie comes from.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TASM had a good female lead.

Beata

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By The_Waffle

Another thing TMNT (2014) shares with TASM is that they are both inferior to their predecessors

TMNT (1990) > TMNT (2014)

Spider-Man (2002) > TASM

BOOM! REKT!

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Anjales_II

Someone's been watching HISHE...

"This is a plageristic monstrosity" - Donatello

Ralph: "Give me the camera"

Mikey: "Oh look he's using his Batman voice"

Batman: "I noticed that too. *hands Ralph a Bat-Subpoena* You've been served turtles.....BECAUSE I'M BATMAN!!"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.