Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Time For Another Mindless Rant - Readers Discretion Is Advised

OminousFlare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By OminousFlare

So, I was posting in this thread in CBR forums, about what we would want to do to celebrate Spider-Man's 50th anniversary coming next year if we are in charge. Then we started talking about getting Steve Ditko to come back to the Spider-Man writing game. One thing led to another, I started ranting. Here's the rant, and it is just a collective gathering of my thoughts and opinion, so please do not get offended. I appreciate Stan Lee for what he's done through the years, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I think he (Ditko) might still be bitter over Stan getting all the credentials for being the "Spider-Creator" (I would be bitter, and still sorta am when thinking about all the lost opportunities), whereas Ditko didn't even get a single cameo in any Spider-Man movie or TV show. Not that he, as a 'private person', would care for publicity (especially not on any kind of screens), but I could imagine how one must feel not being properly recognized for your work - by the general public, not only by the know-hows who knew better, that Ditko did a lot of good work for Spidey in the earliest days.

TBH, I never really recognized Spider-Man as "Stan's Spider-Man." That said, considering that his work is only present in the earliest of days, it wouldn't be proper for me to say it's "Ditko's Spider-Man," either - but that would be far more accurate. In fact, wasn't there a similar incident with The Fantastic Four, with Stan and Kirby falling out, too (after which somewhat brought down the creative level of the character creations), because of reasons also involving credentials? I don't want to point a finger at Stan, but I think these incidents speak very well for themselves.

I mean, even Stan said himself that he didn't expect Spider-Man to be as popular he is today, that he was just doing it to get the kids to pick up the habit of reading or something. Whereas Stan was just doing it to entertain, Ditko was actually doing it for the artistic nature of literature. Whereas Stan is the heartful Aunt May, Ditko is the productive Uncle Ben. So, really, who deserves more credit? The jester or the wizard? I know I'm ranting now, but like I said, I'm bitter. So until they get Ditko back into the Spider-Man game (which they won't be capable of doing, ever), I'm going to hold this memory against Stan 'The Man' himself.

Avatar image for omertalvendetta
    Omertalvendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omertalvendetta

Great thoughts!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Same could be said of Batman..with obvious creative recognition going to Bob Kane but hardly anyone (even in the comics world I dare say) knowing who Bill Finger even is.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ngroove

@OminousFlare:

A) Steve Ditko is a shy guy ...a VERY SHY guy...even unwilling to participate, in Marvel's heyday, Merry Marvel Marching Society soapbox record...featuring Stan, Jack, Flo, ect....someone covered for him with some kinda humorous excuse in mention.

B) When Steve came back to Marvel around the late 70s-80s, sure, he would do Captain Universe, Machine Man, Speedball, I believe even a Daredevil, Hulk aswell....but chose not to do Spider-Man, Doctor Strange again.

C) I've heard once, upon someone visiting his pad, he once was actually using his piles of his original art to BURN.   Sounds like quite something, but hey, his work, his choice, his feelings.

In other words, if asked for such an opportunity straightforwardly to Steve Ditko, without a thought, beyond 100% he would immediately answer "NO!"

D) Atleast, everytime I watch "Spider-Man" the 2002 movie atleast, there is the courtesy in the credits " Spider-Man created by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko".

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

another ditko creation who sorely needs ditko to return him to prominence
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Icon
    @ngroove: Exactly, Ditko just isn't coming back. 
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

I'm usually not one to read much, however this deserved the read and 2 thumbs up

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.