Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Thoughts on Parker Industries

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do you like the idea of Pete being a CEO of his own company?

Can you see Parker Industries being very successful and eventually competing with the likes of Stark Industries under Pete's guidance?

Should/Could PI (Parker Industries) potentially buy Horizon?

Do you like this new dive into the intellectual side of Peter Parker?

Is it only a matter of time before Pete's genius truly gains recognition and he officially becomes one of the 8 smartest humans in the MU? (Imo, he has the potential to be #4 or, based on hype from Reed and Pym, #3 on the top 8 most intelligent humans list if he truly applies himself.)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zarius

I'm hoping this phase does not last past Slott's era on the book and we can get back to nice, grounded everyman tales with Peter struggling with a normal job, like how it's supposed to be. This is so far removed from what Spider-Man is all about, much like the last seven years have been

I quite like how that's the case in the daily strips, which ignores the events of the 616 timeline and maintains the original status quo. MJ is the more sucessful one in that and Peter tries to equal the kind of cash his wife gets for her theatrical work with his regular photography job. MJ even encourages him to do this. I find that far more relatable than "super science whiz kid Peter" running a buisness

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Its all right. Peter will always have a job. If its this one I don't mind.

Nope. They never let Pete's personal life become too successful.

Whatever.

He's always been smart.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

I really hate this because, one of the many reasons that Spidey is my all time favourite fictional character is that he's relatable - he's the average guy. This... this is NOT relatable... *sigh* he isn't Batman - he isn't meant to own a company or be an alien - he's just an average guy with money problems.

Don't you mind this at all?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@themetalgearzero: Not really. Just because he owns a business doesn't mean I can't relate to him.

Pete will always struggle with balancing his personal and hero life, that's a core of the character that will never go away. And juggling multiple responsibilities is something I always relate to.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: Not really. Just because he owns a business doesn't mean I can't relate to him.

I understand man - he's still relatable to some extent - but he does indeed lose some sort of reliability - so now the money problems will be a miss and he wont be a nobody, so... yeah...

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: We'll see. Like I said I don't think the company's success is going to last. At least if he's directly in control.

Hell probably have to pass on the CEO responsibility to someone else like Anna or something

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: We'll see. Like I said I don't think the company's success is going to last. At least if he's directly in control.

Hell probably have to pass on the CEO responsibility to someone else like Anna or something

I doubt it'll last too long either... I liked Parker in Horizon Labs, though.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zarius

Pete will always struggle with balancing his personal and hero life, that's a core of the character that will never go away

True, but that seems more and more silly to maintain if he can manage to attain levels of success like this in his personal life, even if we know everything in comics is temporary, it's going to be jarring to see Peter jump back from this accoplishment to going back to regular normal work once the next writer decides to take him 'back to his roots'. That was the real danger of Howard Mackie's later run, where they made Peter such a 'back to basics' guy they portrayed him as an outright loser, where as another writer altogether (JMS) had to rebuild him from the ground up while making him earn everything he lost back.

One explanation would be to reveal Peter's success is all an illusion influenced by the deal with Mephisto..but we're getting into headcanon wish list territory here...rofl

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It's a stupid f@#king concept.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Parker luck" is one of the biggest things holding peter back as a character, as well as the trap of thinking he should always remain a kid down on his luck. Someone as smart as peter with the connections peter has (he's got what...half of Marvel's fortune 500 on speed dial?) and his established determination, resources, and respected background in the upper crust of the MU, should by all means be able to launch a successful enterprise bar the system screwing him over.

Also, a lot of the middle class own businesses of some sort.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Chaos Burn

I prefer the Horizon Labs job, because it isn't too stressful, unlike being a CEO and a secret superhero.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimishim12

You guys are idiots, Spidey has always deteroated as a character and a protagonist because he never has had to expand himself beyond his incompetency and lack of growth as a man who isn't able to use his power and talents for benefits and progression, plus this is the reason Spider-Man is unpopular to newbies while Deadpool and Ironman are getting most the love, they progress and move on into better things in their runs. Spidey is still known to be stuck right back to where he has always been, a loser with a lack luster job living with his aunt getting into stressful battles to the to save minimal lives for less value as a superhero.

Let him keep this job dude. You guys are the reason One More Day happened and Spock happened. Spidey's an icon, therefore he should be building up to a greater plateaus like his peers from DC, Peter Parker may be mostly a relateable character and meant to be grounded like us in laws and shortcomings, but first and foremost he's a larger than life concept meant to transcend every character in marvel as global mascot whos presence promotes the company and money by being virtually versatile in his comics and media. Spider-Man is bigger than Captain America and the Avengers in real life, so it makes since he should catch up to them in his comics because repetition isn't a wise thing for a mascot to go on. Especially for kids, which is what Marvel is aiming for, a epic superhero who can get kids to get in his world, so youhave to expand beyond the typical soap drama theme for Spider-Man and just being entirely "normal".

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with the people saying that this expansion on Peter's character is a very good thing. Being a long-time fan of Spider-Man, I can see where the people who say that he needs to go 'back to his roots' are coming from, but what they are really asking for is for Spider-Man to become stagnant, though. The same old, cliche Spidey - low-level photographer with a suppressed super genius (IQ of 250-270) who swings around NY day and night - has become a stagnant concept, which is why Slott has been allowed to bring in SpOck, "Peter's" acquiring of a PhD, and him being the CEO of Parker Industries; this is for refreshment, really. Yes, it has been a while since Spidey returned to his roots, but it hasn't been long enough. With characters like Batman and Iron Man, who have diverse and unique solo storylines (ergo money-making plots which can be turned into high-grossing movies), it's not hard to believe that Marvel would allow the expansion of their most iconic character (Spidey).

On the bright side (for people who want Spidey to return to his roots), I think it's pretty safe to say that Spidey returning to his roots is inevitable... it just will be a while before it happens.

PS: Imo, Spider-Man has to prove that he is, at the least, smarter than 50% of the people on the top 8 smartest humans list before he returns to his roots (e.g., McCoy, Amadeus Cho, Pym, and T'Challa).

Crazy_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crazy_Llama

I'm happy with this change, my only worry is that they're setting all of this up just to have him knocked back down. I'm getting tired of seeing Peter achieve things in life just to have them stripped away in an attempt to keep him "relatable." Eventually we all have to grow up, even Spider-Man.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kramotz

@crazy_llama: Exactly. This whole up and down roller coaster thing they've got going on with Pete is getting old; let him keep his intelligence buffs, his badass new style, his company, and his doctorate studies.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys are idiots, Spidey has always deteroated as a character and a protagonist because he never has had to expand himself beyond his incompetency and lack of growth as a man who isn't able to use his power and talents for benefits and progression, plus this is the reason Spider-Man is unpopular to newbies while Deadpool and Ironman are getting most the love, they progress and move on into better things in their runs. Spidey is still known to be stuck right back to where he has always been, a loser with a lack luster job living with his aunt getting into stressful battles to the to save minimal lives for less value as a superhero.

Let him keep this job dude. You guys are the reason One More Day happened and Spock happened. Spidey's an icon, therefore he should be building up to a greater plateaus like his peers from DC, Peter Parker may be mostly a relateable character and meant to be grounded like us in laws and shortcomings, but first and foremost he's a larger than life concept meant to transcend every character in marvel as global mascot whos presence promotes the company and money by being virtually versatile in his comics and media. Spider-Man is bigger than Captain America and the Avengers in real life, so it makes since he should catch up to them in his comics because repetition isn't a wise thing for a mascot to go on. Especially for kids, which is what Marvel is aiming for, a epic superhero who can get kids to get in his world, so youhave to expand beyond the typical soap drama theme for Spider-Man and just being entirely "normal".

I agree with most of this post but the way I see Peter's current situation. This is actually inspirational. I grew up on this character and I've seen him fall so many times in so many stupid ways that it sinks into young readers in a negative way. He should be able to push himself to achieve better cause just like the everyman in real life, we don't want to be stuck at a dead end job all our lives. We want goals an to achieve them and if we want to keep looking up to a hero like Spider-man then it makes sense for him to shows us how its done. How to grow up and achieve.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By blackspidey2099

Yeah, I hope Pete keeps the company and intelligence buffs (I would like him to be at least 8th smartest in the MU, maybe even as high/a spot higher than Stark if he really applies himself). The everyman relatable thing was his main selling points in early times, but now most superheroes have evolved with at least a bit of that. It is time for Pete to evolve past the same old plot points of his first 50 years, and usher in a new are of super-genius ness. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8
    deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that it is great that peter is finally being allowed to grow up and accomplish stuff in life. He should also make new improvements to his spidey suit and start a relationship with Silk.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 SC  Moderator

@jimishim12: Hello. You make great points, however they stand as great points without referring to other users as idiots so please omit such references in the future please. Its just not necessary. Thank you and if you wish to question this or address what I said, please send a PM.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is going to be over, i mean Joe Quesada says Spiderman is a loser, this goes against his stupid bullshit.

Also, why does he needs to have a company?

The thing about Spiderman was it was about growing up, since Joe Quesada cant deal with that, all this things you talk mean nothing until he is fired or die.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parker Industries: Too fast. Too soon.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm happy with this change, my only worry is that they're setting all of this up just to have him knocked back down. I'm getting tired of seeing Peter achieve things in life just to have them stripped away in an attempt to keep him "relatable." Eventually we all have to grow up, even Spider-Man.

i agree with u. i love the fact that spidey isn't some whiny little brat. if they bring him down again it will ruin the character. he was great before that bnd crap. it seems like every super hero can grow except spidey.

Exzelrox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how Spiderman is supposedly relatable. I forgot that so many people have high intellects, have 2 hot girls chasing after him, oh and have powers, yeah completely relatable.

Spiderman's life situation, broke, jobless, down in the dumps, that's relatable, not the character himself.

Telefraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well considering that Peter didn't even start the company and Octavius did I wouldn't be surprised to see it run into bankruptcy anytime soon since Spiderman lacked the intelligence to build a company in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

No, no, no, should have happened a long time ago, no.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimishim12

@exzelrox said:

I love how Spiderman is supposedly relatable. I forgot that so many people have high intellects, have 2 hot girls chasing after him, oh and have powers, yeah completely relatable.

Spiderman's life situation, broke, jobless, down in the dumps, that's relatable, not the character himself.

How is that relatable and positive at the same time? Spider-Man is a Superhero, he is meant inspire and succeed.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kramotz

@squares said:

No, no, no, should have happened a long time ago, no.

Agreed. Pete's intellect should have been utilized in the manner Slott has used it a long time ago. Then there wouldn't be as many retards claiming that he's not as smart as Batman.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I wouldn't mind, honestly. It's all about growing up and learning. He can't have a dead end job with his intelligence, can he?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exzelrox said:

How is that relatable and positive at the same time? Spider-Man is a Superhero, he is meant inspire and succeed.

So he must be a rich playboy to inspire and succeed?

He was the guy next door, my friend, our friend that guy everybody knew.

Being rich and famous dont mean being successful.

The Kardashians are the best example, also the Jersey Shore cast and others.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@kramotz:

I like the idea but I don't think it will last. Eventually the company is going to go under.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz:

I like the idea but I don't think it will last. Eventually the company is going to go under.

It's not going to go under. It'll be acquired by Norman Osborn who will rename it Oscorp!!!

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12 said:

@exzelrox said:

But he's a Superhero, who is a genius level achiever and a chick magnet. Who also unlike us did so many things that border on wish fulfillment than relateability.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@jimishim12 said:

@exzelrox said:

But he's a Superhero, who is a genius level achiever and a chick magnet. Who also unlike us did so many things that border on wish fulfillment than relateability.

A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversityor from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity.

This was the reason Peter was always a better example and a better hero that Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@darthfury78:

Same thing really. My point is I don't expect it too last at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.