Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The Spider-Man Musical Gets A Second Life

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
     They'll have to update this flier, for sure.
     They'll have to update this flier, for sure.

You can never, ever, count Spidey out, least of all when he’s on Broadway. The big budget musical starring the wall-crawler TURN OFF THE DARK has been dogged by delays for a long time, now.  Marvel’s just extended their license for the production and Variety’s saying it’s now on track to start running this fall. The techies behind the show are currently shooting footage of New York’s sprawling megalopis for some green-screen compositing and, last week, they held a “flying workshop” in Las Vegas. I’m not quite sure what such a workshop entails, but I’ll hazard a guess it was a demo of the wirework they’ll presumably be using to make the goblin glider fly and the Spidey webs swing.

At one point, the show was slated to start running this year at the Hilton theater (as the poster above evidences.) However, the producers apparently ran into cash-flow problems relating to the show’s already-impressive $50 million budget that caused some significant delays. While its lead actor, Reeves Carney remains attached to play Peter Parker, his co-stars, Evan Rachel Wood and Alan Cumming, had to pull out of playing Mary Jane and the Green Goblin, respectively, on account of scheduling conflicts resulting from these delays. Broadway actors Jennifer Damiano and Patrick Page have been reportedly lined up to replace them. == TEASER ==

For those of who hadn’t heard of TURN OFF THE DARK before, it’s intended to be a retelling of Spidey’s origin in the vein of big-budget musicals like WICKED. It’s set to be directed by Julie Taymor, who also directed the stage version of the LION KING as well as movies like ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.  Real-life super-people Bono and the Edge, of U2, have already composed song and written lyrics for the project’s show tunes.

You know, a lot of fans have been poo-pooing this as being too silly for Spider-Man, but c’mon… lighten up. I think this would be quite the lavish spectacle to witness and certainly a unique meeting of talents. Although, I have doubts that you'll see Carnage or Venom anywhere on stage if this does ever get off the ground.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dvorak

I'll see it if the reviews are decent. That is, if it actually makes it to opening night.

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Big

I don't think that Broadway is beneath Spiderman. On the other hand, I think that Broadway could go a step higher in producing original work. I worked in theatre for 6 years in New York, and the town was bombarded with Disney "spectaculars" which made Broadway a thoroughfare for tourists looking to get some "theater" in while they were visiting from out of town. I think Spiderman is great, and I think that movies lends themselves to the character because of his larger than life quality. But I think that theatre needs to hold off on allowing too many commercial influences to invade its hallowed stages. I would rather see "Cats" produced on stage for another 20 years on Broadway than have comic book characters swinging through the proscenium. Let's allow some room for original ideas, and let's let movies rehash and reimagine what we already enjoy in the comic book medium.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By the_fallen11
    @Big:  well said, I agree.
    Avatar image for octavius_bishop
    Octavius Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Octavius Bishop

@Big
    I believe that Broadway is actually starting to move forward a bit. An example would be the American Idiot musical that's come out. This brand of 'punk' is a different thing for Broadway and it's actually quite good. Hopefully it will inspire new playwrights to create something completely original. So while original work is slowly coming, different works will have to do.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Let's just make this thing already

arrowfan237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By arrowfan237

This is going to kill Spiderman.
    Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

You never know how this will work 

Av0ndale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Av0ndale
    @arrowfan237: 
    I'm afraid you are mistaken. Spider-man died in One More Day, as far as us real fans are concerned. Hah.
    arrowfan237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#9  Edited By arrowfan237
    @Av0ndale:
    By "kill him" Imean it is going to kill his popularity ,reputation, fanbase.
    Av0ndale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Av0ndale
    @arrowfan237: 
    Aren't you (and a bunch of others here and in other posts about this) being a bit dramatic? I think this is a great thing for Spidey. This gets him out to a whole new audience. And if just 10% of everyone who sees this start reading the books, then it's a success in my opinion.  Of course, I didn't drop 50 million dollars on it either, but exposure is good. If you want to talk about "killing his popularity, reputation, and fanbase" as you put it, then maybe we should talk about Spider-Man 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.