Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The pros and cons of organic AND mechanical web-shooters.

EldritchNexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EldritchNexus

So there's been some debate on whether or not the organic web-shooters brought about by the Sam Raimi films and other such adaptations are better than the mechanical web-shooters introduced in the original comics. Well, I've devised a list that shows the advantages and disadvantages of both types:

ORGANIC WEBSHOOTERS

THE PROS

- These make Peter Parker's spiderbite-induced mutation more meaningful. (Comics just give him heightened reflexes, Spider-Sense, and enhanced strength, wall-crawling, and jumping skills)

- Make Peter's web-slinging more special.

- Potentially an infinite supply of web-fluid that's produced from his own body.

- Easy to conceal and since they're part of his body, won't set off metal detectors.

- Eliminates certain limitations that come with mechanical shooters (see below)

THE CONS

- It can seem rather implausible that Peter CONVENIENTLY has the ability to shoot webs out of his wrists, as opposed to a more comparable location, like the tailbone.

- Downplays Peter's intellect and skills as a scientist.

- Can make exercises or check-ups at the doctor rather...awkward.

- Webs can be potentially harder to detach since the shooters are inside his body

- Web fluid stays the same (what you see is what you get!)

- Make Spider-Man's mutation seem freaky and potentially monstrous.

- Potentially awkward to shoot and hard to figure out HOW to shoot.

- If this was done in the early years, when it was a RADIOACTIVE spider that bit Peter, it could lead to radioactive webbing that could make people sick just from touching it.

MECHANICAL WEB-SHOOTERS

THE PROS

- Showcases Peter's intellect and science skills.

- Can be removed when they don't need to be used so as to avoid accidents.

- Make Spider-Man more human and not a mutant or other freak.

- Can be used by an ally in case Peter/Spider-Man is for whatever reason unable to use it himself.

- Easier to understand how to use.

- Can be loaded with a variety of different forms of web-fluid (fireproof, shock-proof, etc.) depending on what Spidey needs it for and against what obstacles/villains.

THE CONS

-SEVERELY downplay his powers and association with the spider.

-Web fluid can run out in the middle of a fight or even some routine web-swinging.

-Can be broken and rendered useless.

- Makes Spidey seem more vulnerable.

- Brings realism where it doesn't need to exist.

-Can set off metal detectors (depending on what is used to make it.)

-Can give the impression that ANYONE could just put them on and swing around on a web (chances of successfully doing so may vary, of course.)

- Can be taken off and even used against him.

- Significantly harder to conceal; If Peter ever has his shirt/jacket taken off by someone else, like if he was injured, he'd be BUSTED.

- Brings up a lot of legal/budget-related questions:

1: If Peter could just keep BUILDING web-shooters and other such crime-fighting devices like that, why doesn't he just patent/sell them to the Military or S.H.I.E.L.D. instead of taking pictures of Spider-Man for the Daily Bugle?

2: Where does he get all that fluid from, anyway, let alone how he can afford to keep buying more and more of the stuff to make it without someone getting suspicious? And that's assuming that the web-fluid was just something he mixed together with chemicals.

MY PERSONAL OPINION

Organic web-shooters honestly seem more logical/relevant for a man bitten by a mutated spider. Sure, there doesn't seem to be a lot of room available for the glands needed to MAKE webs, but by that logic, Superman shouldn't be able to fly or shoot lasers out of his eyes, and Storm shouldn't be able to use her mutant powers to control the weather.

And since organic web-shooters would seem more unique to him, it makes the "With great power comes great responsibility" thing all the more meaningful, since the web-shooters are a PART of that "great power" and not just something he made in his spare-time in Chemistry class.

However, I wouldn't see mechanical web-shooters as useless or redundant, since like I said above, Spidey could still use mechanical web-shooters A: To show people he wasn't a freak (like what the James Cameron movie had in mind), and B: for when he needed a special kind of web-fluid to combat a certain villain that could just destroy/resist his organic web-fluid easily.

If you agree/disagree with this list, or have any ideas of your own on things, feel free to say so below!

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By christianrapper

organic web shooters are the way to go. it makes him more powerful. the mechanical ones add a needless weakness to him. I wonder why they didn't give him the ability before 'the other'. you would have thought stan lee would have given him the organic web shooter ability.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think webshooters should be the way to portray his intellect any more. It is long past time that he got some serious technological upgrades to his suit. I do think one good thing about webshooters is that they allow him to customize web fluid and such, but he could always wear web shooters for special cases even if he defaulted with organic webbing.

I hate it when others steal his web shooters and can actually use them.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Organic is good but Spiderman 2 showed his confidence can cause them not shoot out , AS2 showed an electrical current can render mechanical webshooters useless

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think webshooters should be the way to portray his intellect any more. It is long past time that he got some serious technological upgrades to his suit. I do think one good thing about webshooters is that they allow him to customize web fluid and such, but he could always wear web shooters for special cases even if he defaulted with organic webbing.

the spiderman unlimited suit was the best suit IMO , imagine it with enhanced technology

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: Or just straight up having his Web shooters crushed like in the first film

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: Yeah, Peter should easily be able to create a nanotech suit like that - hell, an even better one.

spidermenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i prefer organic webs, although some of the cons you listed were pros for me, (for example, i like when spider-man is portrayed as less human and potentially freaky) but it's really just a matter of opinion. i just hope they don't make tony stark invent the webshooters in the new movie because that would take away all the pros of organic webs AND some of the pros of webshooters (like showcasing peter's intellect).

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am for Organic shooters too. I can see why, way back in the 60's when Spiderman was first invented, mechanical shooters would be cool but now for a modern audience I think organic is the way to go.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Speaking of webbing, do you know what Peter's magnetic webbing does exactly? Can he use it offensively against certain opponents?

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@birdman400: Or just straight up having his Web shooters crushed like in the first film

yea , I mean organic is better but AS2 showed mechanical webbing is super durable

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123: I know it can be used in situations where gravity isn't available (outer space) or to interfere with radio and other such signals. I'm not really sure what else it can do - keep in mind that it hasn't been used too often and I have probably forgotten a couple of its applications.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By oldwasher

@heatblaze123: I believe he first used his magnetic webbing against massacre to prevent him from using remote control explosives since the webbing disabled the radio signal in the detnators

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldwasher: Oh really? Because people have told me that the magnetic webbing binds metal or something like a magnet.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123: it might do that too. all I know is that it was first used against massacre for that purpose

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i prefer mechanical since he can upgrade it and use it to use different types of webbing while fighting or swinging. i also like the suit from Spider-man unlimited.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally prefer his mechanical web shooters, but I can see the merits to both.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also like the mechanical, it was a great way to show Peter's skills.

Avatar image for immortal_turtle
    Immortal_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Yea, and if something in his system that prevents him from using his organic webbing, he can for the web-shooters. It would also make sense if he used the web-shooters when he has to fight someone who is immune to his webbing or peter webs are vulnerable to like, let's say: Electricity.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@blackspidey2099: @thor-parker i think in that part in Spiderman 2 when peter loses his powers, they should have made him make the web shooters

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ffs91: Yeah, it was a good opportunity.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People know the organic web-shooters were actually meant to be a metaphor/allegory for Peter coming to age and boys dealing with new sensations in the adolescence, right? That's why Raimi gave us that scene that looked like Peter was masturbating in his room in the first movie. Or the web coming in the cafeteria after seeing Mary Jane. There's a meta-context to it, that's why wasn't comic accurate, nerds.

What when? I just rewatched the trilogy like a week ago and i don't remember him fapping

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: yes, that was pretty obvious. Doesn’t mean it was well done or a good idea.

@ffs91 said:

@blackspidey2099: @thor-parker i think in that part in Spiderman 2 when peter loses his powers, they should have made him make the web shooters

That could have been interesting but I don’t think the movie was long enough to really do it well.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Part of Spiderman’s appeal, is that he’s a fairly normal teenager who gained powers by coincidence. Making him some super genius inventor goes completely against that.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: yeah, it's definitely subjective. I thought it was too heavy-handed and didn't really add much, but I'm sure there are quite a few people who share your opinion as well.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Organic web shooters are the best. He can also use mechanical ones for specialized webbing for specific villains.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.