Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The problem with TASM2

• 81 results
    Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ascended

@jensonb said:

I saw it yesterday, and I think it's okay. I have a few gripes with the pacing and that dub step weirdness with Electro, but overall I think it did a solid job. Andrew is still great as Peter Parker: Spider-Man and Sally Field is doing great as a slightly more involved Aunt May than we saw in Raimi's trilogy. I'm not 100% convinced by Harry/Green Goblin though. For my money he goes way too crazy WAY too fast. That's part of the pacing issues I mentioned. I'm also a bit surprised at the pacing from a franchise perspective and I'm kinda stunned how quickly they've racked up the "traumatic event" body count. Richard, Mary, Ben, Capt. Stacy, Norman Osborne and Gwen are all dead and Harry's gone from childhood friend to deranged psychopathic mortal enemy in two movies. Six to five and pick 'em Aunt May eats it in TASM3

If that's what happened, then it doesn't sound very good so far.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jensonb said:

I'm not 100% convinced by Harry/Green Goblin though. For my money he goes way too crazy WAY too fast.

Personally I think he was probably full of resentment even at the beginning of the movie before he even realised he was dying

There's also the possibility that the thing he injected himself with was making him crazier.

Copy and pasted from my post in an earlier thread

I think Harry's change was OK personally, unlike other character changes in movies Harry was never held up as a paradigm of goodness to begin with, right from his first appearance he was shown as a man full of resentment.

I think Pete and Harry's first meeting in the movie was done very well, you could tell that the two really didn't know where they stood, and Harry was very unsure of what to do. Pete's visit was unexpected, Harry had been gone a long time and had changed a lot since they had been friends, he wasn't sure if their friendship was still relevant, or whether he could be bothered to find out.

I could very easily have seen that scene end with Harry saying "Anyway Mr Parker, nice seeing you, have a nice life" but Harry decided to take a chance instead, and they managed to find some common ground, but Harry was still not 100% comfortable.

You can also very much tell in the movie that the friendship is more important to Pete than Harry, Pete is the one who randomly goes to see him, Pete is the one talking about how important Harry's friendship was after his parents abandoned him etc.

Harry is a rich guy who's probably become accustomed to buying his friendship and respect, and has not managed to form many strong bonds with other people during his life, people like that have trust issues to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing going through Harry's mind when he saw Pete was "why is he here? is he here to try to leach off me and my wealth?"

jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: sure, I'm not saying it doesn't work in narrative terms, I just mean they get through the whole thing in very little screen time. In universe, the progression seems about right, I'm just not sure it played well with how little time they had to develop it and in some ways that diminishes the emotional weight the payoff could have had.

Kibbles7a239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jensonb: tbh they don't have much choice about the pacing of the "traumatic event" body count, Richard and Mary Parker died years before the events in the first film so I wouldn't really count them as victims with bad pacing, they're dead from the outset. Ben has to die early on or else no Spider-Man, as for Norman Osborne show me the body!(I highly doubt he has died)

So that makes 2 deaths that the film makers had control over in my eyes in 2 movies, not too bad considering the clamor for MJ so that means Gwen had to go and after a near full two movies on screen.

Harry is also still technically friends with Peter until the goblin formula is in his system, only when he is driven insane by it does he go psycho and try kill Gwen to hurt Peter after realizing who Spidey is beneath the mask!

These deaths are key to Peters development and the filmmakers only have the cast together for so long to achieve what they want so some things may just have to be rushed!

jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jensonb

@kibbles7a239: Sure, And I take your point, my thing is more that all these deaths are being played up in some way. The Parkers' dying is a fixed point in the backstory sure, but there's way more focus on it here than is commonly seen in Spidey properties.

And I know some of these are key story beats from the comics, but in the comics they were separated by a lot more plot and "screen time" than we get in the TASM movies universe. Guilt's key to Peter's character, but we've basically had a two movie long origin arc centred on making him feel guilty and it still seems rushed, and arguably the job was done in the first movie anyway. In fact that's probably why it seemed rushed, as a result of extending the origin arc that was basically wrapped up in 1 anyway, 2 is really inconclusive.

It's like they were trying to cram a load of backstory into the second one so they can start the REAL plot (which still doesn't seem to have fully kicked in, whatever it is beyond just 'the Sinister Six are involved') in 3 with Peter further down his path so some of it gets super condensed (Harry in particular). TASM2 plays exactly like the setup for a franchise. I know that's what it is, but it could be handled better so that it doesn't so much feel that way. The Marvel Cinematic series managed it. A lot of this will presumably be alleviated a bit when the series is complete, but for now it seems like they're trying to do and say an awful lot of stuff awfully quickly.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can a Spider-Man fan not enjoy it? It had a great depiction of Harry, one of the best special effects in film, great Spider-Man wit, expansion on the Parker's parents back story, great acting from Andrew Garfield, well-casted supporting actors, and... well, I don't want to go on the whole day with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't think there was to many villains, I think that they weren't developed enough. There where really only 2 villains. Rhino wasn't even in it for five minutes. I think Green Goblin was shoehorned into the movie last second. I would rather them develop his insanity over into the next film and have him as the main villain their. Maybe he would have taken the Spider stuff and the scene of him transforming into the Goblin is the last we see of him until ASM3 where he is dealing with his insanity, and by the end he is full blown Goblin, lets murder people, f*ck Spiderman.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By w0nd

@silent_bomber: I also noticed some scenes cut, like Peter being monitored him asking why and harry responding with "isn't that the question of the day" "my fathers paid more attention to you then he ever dis me" and so on .

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

How can a Spider-Man fan not enjoy it? It had a great depiction of Harry, one of the best special effects in film, great Spider-Man wit, expansion on the Parker's parents back story, great acting from Andrew Garfield, well-casted supporting actors, and... well, I don't want to go on the whole day with this.

Well said, good sir, my thoughts entirely. Far too much angst and bleating by spiderman fans over this film. People have been taking too much notice of critics most of whom lack a sense of fun.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@ninjablade09:

The problem was that they probably didnt know what they wanted to show.......TOO many scenes cut which created a mess.
    Harry's "We're watching you" thing with Peter
    Felicity Jones said in an interview that "Im Harry Osborn's girlfriend" so that's cut too
    Martin Sheen said last year that they called him for a couple of scenes........BOOM cut.
    Mary fvcking Jane
    And all sorts of crap i cant remember right now.....

All the "negative" the movie\s getting is because it is creatively a mess.
    Rushed and a mess.....

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza

Exactly. I was actually just having a talk with my sister now about how critics look to much into a movie and dissect it too much, they don't know just how to enjoy a movie that's characters aren't too deep, which I'll admit, TASM didn't have the best villains, but I still enjoy it and hold it as my favourite film.

@punyparker

Yeah, I noticed all those stuff taken out too, but should you stop enjoying a movie because it didn't give all that was promised?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker

Yeah, I noticed all those stuff taken out too, but should you stop enjoying a movie because it didn't give all that was promised?

Well,not delivering what is promised is kind of a dick politician move.........
    If you enjoyed it,you enjoyed it,i just point out the stuff i see......

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheDemoGoblin

@punyparker:

Yeah, it was sad to see all those stuff lost. Mostly the "OsCorp's watching you" scene that really had me mad. Oh well, hate it if you'd like to...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

Oh well, hate it if you'd like to...

You haven't read my review,you haven't seen my first reactions in this thread.....and you still say that.

No,i didn't hate it,not one bit.
    That's why i critisize it so......it's Spider-Man,my favorite character in all fiction......of cource i will complain if he's not done right.
    And in this film they screwed up big time,in many aspects.

Electro was the Riddler from Batman Forever.
    Goblin was Venom from Spider-Man 3.

Wheather you see it or don't.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

This isnt the point. What I mean is we both have different opinions, so let's not bother influencing each other.

You can think that about Electro and The Goblin but what's the point of trying to convince me directly?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#66 k4tzm4n  Moderator

The problem? As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even I recognize the movie has multiple problems :P

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

Wow, Electro the Riddler from Batman Returns, no I don't see that, although I see where you are coming from with Green Goblin.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PunyParker

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Wow, Electro the Riddler from Batman Returns, no I don't see that, although I see where you are coming from with Green Goblin.

Ed Nigma is a pseudo/phycotic outcast of society and is obsessed with Bruce Wayne.....Bruce then rejects him,and when he becomes a villian he wants revenge.
    Dillon is a pseudo/phycotic outcast of society and is obsessed with Spider-Man......Spider-Man rejects him,and when he becomes a villian he wants revenge.

What's not to see?.....

@k4tzm4n said:

The problem? As someone who thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even I recognize the movie has multiple problems :P

That's what I am saying,and nearly EVERYONE are stating that i hate the movie!!!

@punyparker:

This isnt the point. What I mean is we both have different opinions, so let's not bother influencing each other.

You can think that about Electro and The Goblin but what's the point of trying to convince me directly?

I'm conversating with you,because i saw your post and felt the need to do it.....

If you want we can end the conversation.....it's not an arguement......you present your points i present mine......that's what forums are for.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

Hey man you are too deep for me. I was just thinking that the mega powered electrical guy didn't really seem much like the silly old Riddler! The obsession bit, yep, get that now.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#70  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Ed Nigma is a pseudo/phycotic outcast of society and is obsessed with Bruce Wayne.....Bruce then rejects him,and when he becomes a villian he wants revenge.

Dillon is a pseudo/phycotic outcast of society and is obsessed with Spider-Man......Spider-Man rejects him,and when he becomes a villian he wants revenge.

What's not to see?.....

One has really cool VFX, the other throws explosive rubber ducks. BOOM!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

One has really cool VFX, the other throws explosive rubber ducks. BOOM!

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Hey man you are too deep for me. I was just thinking that the mega powered electrical guy didn't really seem much like the silly old Riddler! The obsession bit, yep, get that now.

Not deep at all....it's just like this!

Also the HORRIBLE male Kafka is taken out RIGHT from a Joel Schumacher Batman film.......ridiculous.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@frozen: The GP wouldn't like how comics are very liberal with death.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By thespideyguy

My problem with this is that Gwen died. Emma Stone makes Gwen a bad@ss! She isn't a damsel in distress, she is helping Peter take down the bad guy. Also it isn't the 70's! She doesn't need to die. Her death isn't necessary.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..am I the only one who liked this film- a lot?

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I still don't understand how people are saying there are too many villains. It only had two villains, Electro and Goblin. Really, Rhino shouldn't count. In his first appearance he was basically a goon more than a villain, and his last appearance only sets up future movies. By that logic, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had too many villains, and I don't see anyone pointing that out. The complaint is, that Goblin could have had more screen time, the fight could have been slightly longer, it was too short for my taste. But the Death of Gwen was done in an extremly strong way, even if it was expected.

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By majinn3
    @anjales said:

I still don't understand how people are saying there are too many villains. It only had two villains, Electro and Goblin. Really, Rhino shouldn't count. In his first appearance he was basically a goon more than a villain, and his last appearance only sets up future movies. By that logic, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had too many villains, and I don't see anyone pointing that out. The complaint is, that Goblin could have had more screen time, the fight could have been slightly longer, it was too short for my taste. But the Death of Gwen was done in an extremly strong way, even if it was expected.

Personally My problem with TASM2 was not the number of villains per se, but how they handled them. Up until this movie my biggest issue with the franchise was that the villains were really lackluster. The lizard was terrible, and Electro???. Yeah, I'm just going to be frank and say Jamie Foxx never should have gotten that role. Dane Dehann however OWNED green goblin. Though I wasn't a fan of how they wrote his character. But from the acting/ character standpoint Green Goblin was really what made the movie for me. Which is kind of sad seeing as how Electro had the most potential. In retrospect I think they should have just stuck with Rino and Goblin giving both of the 2 more layering. I would have loved to see Harry Osborn/ GG more fleshed out. But I think they were too afraid of doing a repeat of the goblins from the Raimi movies. No matter, I look forward to seeing Dane's role in the next movie.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Anjales_II

@majinn3: I agree with you that Lizard's potential was wasted in the first movie. but honestly, I didn't hate Electro as much as most people, let's face it, he was much more interesting than his comic book counterpart. Does Max Dillon in the comics even have a personality? Yes in the movie, his character wasn't the best nor the most original, but even that was leadps and bounds ahead of the source material. Let's be frank, when it comes to Electro, the most interesting aspect of him has never been his personality, it has always been his powers and the movie portrayed that very strongly, I enjoyed the fights immensely. And while Foxx is a pretty skilled actor, you could have just put anyone in that role and it would not have mattered. Honestly, the only version of Electro that is actually interesting character wise is the Spider-Man TNAS version. Agreed about Dehaan, though I was a lil disappointed with them taking out Norman.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By silent_bomber

@anjales said:

Does Max Dillon in the comics even have a personality?

Like most Spider-Man villains, sometimes he has a personality, sometimes he doesn't, and sometimes he has a completely different personality. "Light the Night" is probably the most character rich writing for Electro I'd say.

Here's some bits and pieces of Light the Night (1993)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber Well the whole "Im not a gutless nobody" aspect was explored in the film, so, I would go as far to say the movie was a pretty accurate depiction Electro character wise. But even in that scan of yours, the biggest aspect it showed, even in that character developing moment, was his power. However, your scan has peaked my curiosity, where is it from? I might check it out.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

@silent_bomber Well the whole "Im not a gutless nobody" aspect was explored in the film, so, I would go as far to say the movie was a pretty accurate depiction Electro character wise. But even in that scan of yours, the biggest aspect it showed, even in that character developing moment, was his power. However, your scan has peaked my curiosity, where is it from? I might check it out.

Its from (adjective-less) Spider-Man issues 38-40

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
    i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

the problem with assmn 2? assmn 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.