Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The Other & Civil War

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheTrollDance

Hi there,

I've recently read The Other story arc and I'd like to ask a few question:

1. Who is The Great Weaver? In what comic books does he appear? What are his feats?

2. How did Peter lose his powers after The Other?

3. Is The Other canon? Is Civil War canon?

4. What's the current relationship between Peter and Mary Jane? Does he currently have a girlfriend/wife/love interest?

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mokey

2. He didn't lose his powers. The writers just choose to ignore them.

3. They're both canon

4. Him & MJ are just friends. He has no love interest.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

@TheTrollDance said:

1. Who is The Great Weaver? In what comic books does he appear? What are his feats?

He's the being that powers the Spider totem. He appeared briefly when Spider-man took a trip into this alternate reality to track down a bad guy called Shade. (Google Spider-man Shade it should tell you the issue number). Feat wise i'm not sure he has any. The closest i can think of is that when Spider-man was being hunted by Shathra (Wasp Totem) Spider-man tricked her into entering a temple of the Weaver and a ton of spiders ate her.

2. How did Peter lose his powers after The Other?

It was OMD that retconned his other powers. Mephisto took them away. Kaine(Spider-man's clone) the current Scarlet Spider now has the Other powers:

3. Is The Other canon? Is Civil War canon?

Both are canon

4. What's the current relationship between Peter and Mary Jane? Does he currently have a girlfriend/wife/love interest?

Mary Jane and Pete are currently just friends. Since their marriage was retconned Spider-man had a brief fling with Black Cat (again), then he went out with a girl called Carlie who broke up with him after finding out he'd lied to her about being Spider-man. He currently doesn't have a girlfriend but Marvel have been dropping various small hints at different characters. Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) admitted to liking him (we also saw Spider-man kissing a masked blond during the Grim Hunt vision. This has yet to be explained but it looks a lot like Ms Marvel). Slott has also had Silver Sable showing an interest in him but thats basically it at the moment. Apparently a ton of stuff is going to happen in ASM 700 maybe that will clear this up.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheTrollDance

I see, thanks a lot.

No Caption Provided

^This is the image you were talking about, Strider92?

I'm confused, isn't this guy The Great Weaver?

No Caption Provided

Or is he just a messenger?

How did Kaine get The Other's powers?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Strider1992

@TheTrollDance said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I see, thanks a lot.

^This is the image you were talking about, Strider92?

I'm confused, isn't this guy The Great Weaver?

Or is he just a messenger?

I'll be honest i'm not sure lol maybe they are both incarnations of the Weaver? Just different artistic representation?

@TheTrollDance said:

How did Kaine get The Other's powers?

Kaine died to save Pete's life during Grim Hunt this kick started his Other abilities (same as how Peter had to die to get his). He was then transformed into a weird Spider-creature by the Jackal. Peter cured Kaine of his Spider-form and also his degeneration (he now looks like Peter with no scarring or anything) by throwing Kaine into this liquid (don't remmeber exactly what it was read Spider-island it'll tell you what the Jackal made it for):

If you like Spider-man I suggest reading the new Scarlet Spider series. Kaine is awesome being a Spider-man who doesn't mind killing and breaking bones:

No Caption Provided
    TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheTrollDance

@Strider92: Thanks a lot for the help mate, I'll get on it soon. As for The Great Weaver: It appears to be that way. Both are extremely awesome nonetheless :p

I hope we'll be seeing more of The Great Weaver and of Spidey and MJ in the near future, I was really disappointed and pissed when I heard that their marriage had been cancelled during OMD. If you don't like her, at least get rid of her the right way: Get the Goblin to throw her off a bridge! :P

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@TheTrollDance said:

I was really disappointed and pissed when I heard that their marriage had been cancelled during OMD. If you don't like her, at least get rid of her the right way: Get the Goblin to throw her off a bridge! :P

Everyone was annoyed about this. Now that OMD is over I have to say it has given Spider-man a lot more freedom so it has been good for the character but the way they did it was stupid. Peter making a deal with Mephisto? Spider-man isn't Ghost Rider.......

Spydey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Spydey

Doesn't Spider-girl have his ability from the Other's as well. From what I got in Spider Island, everyone received his abilities from the others; I mean as far as organic webbing goes and Randy using spikes against Hobs. And she got her spider powers back as well right, along with upgrades. Which I seriously..kinda hate. I liked the fact she was her own kind of spider who had to use tech and wit rather than 616 version of 1610 Jessica Drew running around. Or Kaine with boobs. And now I hear she took down Arachne?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@Spydey said:

And now I hear she took down Arachne?

Who is Arachne now then? Last I heard Julia was still Madame Webb so it can't be her.

Spydey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spydey

@Strider92: Yea, I'm not sure if they're referring to Julia as Arachne rather than Madame Webb, because it's easier and people prefer her as such, or if there really is a new Arachne. Which I doubt, so I'm going to assume they mean Julia Webb. I still call her Arachne all the time myself. Just easier to identify.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheTrollDance
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Strider1992

@TheTrollDance: I don't know where that panel is from (although I have read the issue with it in I just can't remember the number). Although Anansi did appear in the issue where Shathra died (ASM 487). Ezekiel told Spider-man about Anansi in that issue.

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheTrollDance

@Strider92: Do you remember what happened first? I'm reading ASM 488 atm (Shathra doesn't die in ASM 487), the story is pretty interesting thus far.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@TheTrollDance said:

@Strider92: Do you remember what happened first? I'm reading ASM 488 atm (Shathra doesn't die in ASM 487), the story is pretty interesting thus far.

This happened well before the Other.

Weaver appearing>Ezekiel>Shathra appearing(first totem eater)>Morlun 1st appearance >Morlun 2end appearence>The Other

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaredbright

The magic stuff became the worst Spider-man stuff I'd ever read. It went from two times Spider-man being reborn in a cocoon/spider-thing. Spider-man wasn't a magic-based character who couldn't die and certainly wouldn't be beaten to death by some generic magic villian. Doc Ock? Sure. Electro. Again, he would be one. All they did at that time was change Spider-man all the time. They didn't care about making it good (my opinion). They were lost, but weren't going to give the book to a more subtible writer.

I still don't know what/who the Queen is and don't care. If they had stopped doing that stuff after that cocoon thing Spider-man would of been alright as a book

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strider1992

@jaredbright: Well to be fair that has been retconned due to One More Day and the Queen wasn't a magic villain at all. She was a mutate with the ability to control the insect part of a persons brain (the same way the Lizard controls the reptilian part of a human brain.)

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator  Online

@jaredbright: Actually they started to do the animal totem/spirit stuff in early 1993 in Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #13.

Nocturne - Bat, Puma - Puma, Spider-Man - Spider, Black Crow - Crow, The Lizard - Lizard
    Nocturne - Bat, Puma - Puma, Spider-Man - Spider, Black Crow - Crow, The Lizard - Lizard

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.