The Not so Ultimate Spider-Man........................... ?

#1 Edited by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch out, Spoilers are about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Not so Ultimate Spider-Man................... ?

So it is finally over. For me, well, it has been an adventure. It has had its ups, downs, its high points and low points- hey kinda like web-slinging eh? Sorry. But in the end I'm glad I embarked on the journey, and saw it to an end. In case your wondering what on earth I'm blubbering about, the 2 part season finale of Ultimate Spider-Man aired a few days ago. At this point, I'm sure many of you have either got a stockpile of insulting GIF's ready, or just are just about to click away to post in the off-topic or battle forums. For those of you who want post Grandpa Simpson Walking into and out of a Burlesque club in one motion, or for whatever reason, want to listen to what I have to say, well, I'm glad to have you. This post, of course aims to review the latest episodes, but also the series as a whole, and evaluate the place of Ultimate Spider-Man in the line of animated Spider-Man Cartoons. Lets get this show on the road!

So how was the season finale?

There is no easy was to say this. The two part series was, for the series, excellent, and in general, very good. There were some issues granted, but by and large, if the series had kept up this level of performance, it would have been alot more entertaining, and better received by Comicvine and the general community. TBH, I know this not a popular opinion I just fessed up to, so I'm going to break down, to ease the migraines I may have caused.

Character Development

One of the gripes I had with this show was the way various characters were portrayed. This was particularly evident with the Amazing Friends. Spider-Man was selected to be their leader by Fury. However, a constant feature of the series was how much his teammates, particularly Nova and White Tiger, tried to undermine at every turn. Granted, this was done mostly for comic relief- but it continued to happen, episode after episode, to the point where it just became silly. Alot of people who I have spoken to, cite this as a main reason why they don't like the program. However in the 2 part episode, there is a refreshingly small amount of this going on. The team genuinely care for Spider-Man, and go out of their way to try to find him, when he is captured by Doctor Octopus, and the emotion shown by Nova in particular when they think Spider-Man dead in the Hellicarrier explosion was touching.

However, the most impressive aspect of the character development was of that between Harry, Peter and Norman Osborn. After the transformation of Norman into the Green Goblin, there was see a much darker and determined side to Peter, and the pride he takes over his team is was totally in keeping with his character. In fact, his whole dialogue and fights with the Green Goblin resemble greatly that of between said characters in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, when Peter was still Spidey. It was also nice to see the individualistic nature of Peter Parker, and his initial hesitance to allow SHIELD to get involved with the Green Goblin Situation.

Norman Osborn was solidly done. Elements of darker personality were already shown throughout the series, and I love how this is manifested in his transformation into for lack of better words, the Ult Green Goblin. In last three Spider-Man animated T.V shows that have been aired, we have seen the Green Goblin close to his 616 incarnation. It is nice to see this change, and I'm sure Bendis had a say in this :-) . Harry Osborn in terms of characterization was quite similar to portrayals in Spectacular Spider-Man and the Sam Raimi film continuity. What I like here is that the inner conflict within Harry in trying to do the right thing and striving for his fathers love and affection is represented by him being taken over by the Venom Symbiote. In Spectacular Spider-Man we didn't get to see Harry's dislike of Spider-Man develop into anything major. I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of that in Season 2.

Fight Scenes

I was very impressed by what was on offer here. It is hard to describe fight scenes just in prose, but between Norman and Peter in particular, the fluid animation was put to really good effect. I've always been an advocate of showing off Spider-Man's powers to the fullest in battles, particularly his Strength, and it seems that my wishes were granted here. It was refreshing to see Spider-Man as the last man standing against Osborn, and doing alot better than his teammates in tackling the villain. I feel that Ultimate Spider-Man have played around with the power-levels Spider-Man has to suit the plot. For example, we've had him Catch cars with ease, and kick people so hard that they go flying into Buses which flip over on impact, and yet struggle to subdue some Hydra agents. Here, his powers seem at their most formidable, and consistent.

Music

The music heard during the battle scenes was the best I've heard in any Spider-Man motion picture. It fitted the battle perfectly, and quite simply, was flawless. I will say, quite happily in fact, that the music here was better than anything better than I heard on Spectacular Spider-Man.

Plot lines

It seems that there was a deliberate intention to create an interconnecting Web (lol sorry) between Harry, Peter and Norman. Peter derived his powers from an Spider in Oscorp labs. Venom, which bonded to Harry, came by synthesizing Peter Parker's Blood. Norman Osborn was created by mixing Peter's Blood with the that of the Venom Symbiote. This fits in perfectly with Peter's sense of responsibility which he shows in the 2 episodes. The ending, also leaves alot to build on, especially concerning Venom, but I think you've had your fill on spoilers for now.

;-P

So anything bad to say.......

Well to be honest, I do wonder how the Trapster manages to break out SHIELD of custody on multiple occasions, considering how laughably pathetic he is. And, while it was certainly a nice gesture for Peter to allow his amazing friends to move in with him, you wonder how long it will be for? Doesn't SHIELD have another Hellicarrier? . But, really other than that, not much.

Ultimate Spider-Man, Haunted by Ghosts, Reaching for the future.

Part of the reason the negativity that has shrouded this T.V shows was the success of Spectacular Spider-Man. There is no doubting the shows brilliance, and I, as much as anyone was very sad to the program to go. But all good things tend to come to an end. When I see Ultimate Spider-Man, after these episodes, I see hope- after all wasn't it not so long ago that people were hating on Miles Morales? The episodes here, easily fall into the range of Spectacular Spider-Man in terms of enjoyablilty. What makes me even more excited, is that throughout the series there has been a much greater attempt to integrate Peter Parker into the Marvel Universe as a whole and expanding his rogue gallery beyond the same characters used in previous series. Add the larger budget, and I really can see a more expensive series, which, if it uses storytelling shown in this episode, can really be the "Ultimate" marvel animated show on T.V.

P.S I apologize for the delay in this review, and any typo's it may contain.

laflux is a average user on Comic-Vine. Buoyed by recently gaining the privilege of making live edits to Character bio's, he decided to try his hand at reviews. You can find him editing Thanos and Spider-Man related characters, PMing Mods and flagging spite threads, while trying to advise new users. He longs to try and integrate Gorilla Munch themed meme's into threads, but is struggling for inspiration. Any PM's helping him on this would be nice :-)

#2 Edited by slvr4surfer (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Great review man and honestly I respect your opinion of the show and I actually agree with you in regards to the season finale but the show as a whole isn't doing it for me. A lot of people agree with me when I say that this show is for kids. The fact that it replaced Spectacular Spidey ticked me off too so I was really hoping it was gonna be worth it.

I'm happy for y'all who like it... but I'm gonna go have a drink for Spectacular Spider-Man. The theme song is stuck in my head and I ain't even mad.

Slvr4surfer

#3 Posted by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

@slvr4surfer: Yeah thanks for the feedback. It was disheartening not to get any feedback up until now, so it really means alot that you have replied. :)

#4 Posted by Cancer the Conqueror (78 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to give this show a chance, but the pace and delivery in the first season has been daunting. Is it not necessary to see, just to skip ahead to season 2?

#5 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

that was a really good review. I agree with you that the season finale was the best one of them all. I also agree that it was annoying through most of the other episodes how Nova and White Tiger would always just have the purpose of impeding Spidey. The episodes that didn't have those two were the best ones besides the latest one.

#6 Posted by tahmidk (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldve loved the episode if it werent for those annoying dora the explorer momengs when spidey breaks away from an epic fight to say some unnecessary bs that ruins the epic mood and atmosphere. and baby luke cage, baby iron fist, fake nova all suck

#7 Posted by InfinityAce (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't really like that they had to switch those heroes to kids when they had so many heroes that started out as kids in the first place.(Human torch,Ice man you know the REAL ultimate spidey team). Your review has made me want to check out the series again so I will.(Hope they can keep the seriousness going)

#8 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been avaliable to see it after the 14 - 15 episode, still I would love to watch the rest :P

#9 Posted by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously for all who have posted, thanks for the feedback :)

#10 Edited by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion for a show with such good animation and budget i'm surprised the story/writing is so awful Although I dislike Bendis even I can't deny he is the king of the Ultimate-verse especially Spider-man and it pains me to see what this TV series is like in comparison with those comics. The two absolute worst moments for me both concerned Venom in some way. I'm sorry what the hell was that? Venom is Spider-man's dark personality extracted by Dr Ock!? How does that even make sense? Why not just stick with the Ultimate comics? Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse Green goblin was created from a combination of Spider-man and Venom.

In what world does Spider-man + Venom = Green Goblin

I have no real problem with the voice acting they are all pretty good but the writing and character concepts are atrocious. I vote they reboot it stick to the Ultimate Spider-man comics and aim for a wider audience.

Nice review btw!

#11 Posted by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

In my opinion for a show with such good animation and budget i'm surprised the story/writing is so awful Although I dislike Bendis even I can't deny he is the king of the Ultimate-verse especially Spider-man and it pains me to see what this TV series is like in comparison with those comics. The two absolute worst moments for me both concerned Venom in some way. I'm sorry what the hell was that? Venom is Spider-man's dark personality extracted by Dr Ock!? How does that even make sense? Why not just stick with the Ultimate comics? Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse Green goblin was created from a combination of Spider-man and Venom.

In what world does Spider-man + Venom = Green Goblin

I have no real problem with the voice acting they are all pretty good but the writing and character concepts are atrocious. I vote they reboot it stick to the Ultimate Spider-man comics and aim for a wider audience.

Nice review btw!

Thanks for the feedback. TBH, I was a bit iffy too on the creation of the GG, though compared to other stuff in the series, I could get over it. And TBH I would have been more okay with the Venom origin if it showed a dark side to Peter Parker. But since Ult Venom comes from Richard Parker, I'm not to bothered.

#12 Edited by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: With Ultimate Spider-man I kind of get the feeling they're trying to make a weird New Avengers team. Because honestly a lot of the supporting cast isn't needed if you wanted a Spider-man show. Ultimate Spider-man is like Wolverine and The X-men. 1 main character with other people doing stuff around him. I also don't like how they portray Iron Fist and I absolutely despise the idea of a Spider-Cycle. I swear I shudder every time I see it.

On the plus side I love Coulson! Especially after he went all ninja on the Beetle lol. I swear that almost redeemed the series.....almost!

#13 Posted by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

On the plus side I love Coulson! Especially after he went all ninja on the Beetle lol. I swear that almost redeemed the series.....almost!

Yeah. In my opinion he is my favorite character. He is a good source of comic relief, but that scene really established why he is a SHIELD agent.

#14 Posted by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Yeah that was bordering on Batman like skillz! Slapping around Beetle the guy who stomped the whole team in his first encounter with them.

#15 Posted by laflux (13701 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@laflux: Yeah that was bordering on Batman like skillz! Slapping around Beetle the guy who stomped the whole team in his first encounter with them.

It was the only time I was Okay with Spider-Man being low-balled and usually that really annoys me.

#16 Posted by danhimself (22212 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped watching the show after the second episode and I refuse to watch it again and possibly boost it's ratings by accident

#17 Edited by wr3h (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review man.

I'll admit this finale was actually the best part of the whole show.

#18 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you for the fair levelheaded review. It was well written, eloquent and seemed unbiased.

I myself had stopped watching the show regularly after the episode "Flight of the Iron Spider" which made this show the first I have ever felt like (and actually do) go on Noah Antwiler style rants about. While I hated the lack of an overarching story, lack of real character development, dumbing down of the characters, unneeded changes to the Spider-Man mythos, two-dimensional plot devices for villains, exagerated Family Guy styled humor, mixed bag voice acting (I make no attempt to hide that I think Drake Bell just isn't right for the role, Tara Strong as Mary Jane was a miss cast and Adrian Pasdar doesn't even sound like he's trying to act) and the general thought that the show simply talked down to children, when I first went into the show I thought I had potential. I did want to like it and it did bring a new spin on Spidey for better or worse.

While the show may have improved as per your word, I simply feel this show isn't for me (unless Josh Keaton guest stars as Peter Parker from the Future, I mean Batman Brave and the Bold managed to get Kevin Conroy as Batman in a way, why not Josh as Spidey as an apology to those upset by the as of yet unexplaned redub in Avengers). I feel like I'm simply degrating your review by my inability to say anything good of the show so I think I'll just leave.

Again nice review.

#19 Posted by Funkypanda123 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

its over?! YESSSS! but no more tostay spidey :'(

#20 Posted by InfinityAce (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides of all the weird ways they made green goblin they finale was pretty awesome. Now if only they can be like that all season around and make a even better next season finale

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.