Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The little girl...Spidey hitting it?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@danslott: Offensive and stupid? Maybe like a comic book writer trawling forums in order to insult and degrade the consumer to sate his own sad ego?

Let's be perfectly clear, when you're offensive and stupid enough to type something like this:

I love that in Dan Slott's mind, dating a little person is penance for Ock's crimes.

You shouldn't be surprised when you get called out for being offensive and stupid.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52 the_stegman  Moderator

Well, Ock is half the man Peter is, so I suppose he's finally embraced it.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@danslott: I like how you just ignore certain points. I can start to see how you keep going now, you just create your own little reality where everyone who dislikes you is wrong and their legitimate gripes don't exist, just a small little part you can hone in on.

There's an episode of South Park that focuses on something similar. Jimmy writes a joke and Cartman takes credit.

And the only person I'd offend works for a company that published an event about a mentally fragile person turning into a giant crab and being killed after begging for death and being told no, only being murdered after he went nuts again. Do not preach to me about offensive. You have no integrity and are desecrating an international icon solely to appease your own ego.

That is what's offensive.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fadetoblackbolt: event about a mentally fragile person turning into a giant crab and being killed after begging for death and being told no, only being murdered after he went nuts again

I feel I should know this but for the life of me I can't place it. Little help please. I have a guess but don't want to say.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By DanSlott

One more time, just so we're on the same page. You think you have a leg to stand on about what is and isn't offensive...

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danslott: Do not preach to me about offensive. You have no integrity and are desecrating an international icon solely to appease your own ego.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

I love that in Dan Slott's mind, dating a little person is penance for Ock's crimes.

...when you're the wonderful human being who typed up THAT?

Grow a brain. And then a conscience. In that order. Then we'll talk.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@dernman said:

@fadetoblackbolt: event about a mentally fragile person turning into a giant crab and being killed after begging for death and being told no, only being murdered after he went nuts again

I feel I should know this but for the life of me I can't place it. Little help please. I have a guess but don't want to say.

Presumably, it's Sentry in Siege.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@illuminatus said:

@dernman said:

Yep.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt:

I have to be with Mr. Slott in this one, talking like that about little people is just wrong (and racist), I have a good friend how is little person and he is a one of the nicest a coolest guy you could ever hope to meet.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This thread is awesome :)

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If it's a little person who cares? The title is very very misleading, clearly on purpose of course. But yeah, who cares? If he likes her he likes her. Dumb question.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illuminatus said:

@dernman said:

Yep.

yeah that was my guess. Wasn't sure though.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso: How in the freaking world did you see that as me having a shot at little people? For one thing, if I discriminated against people of shorter stature, I wouldn't have used the preferred "little person" nomenclature, would I?

I'm taking a shot at Slott's pathetically trite writing and the transparent nature of the whole thing. "Oh Ock is truly a changed person. He loves someone for their mind." This is the desired effect, but anyone with two brain cells to rub together would see through it.

Sycophancy is never an admirable trait, but for God's sake get your house in order before you try that crap.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott said:

One more time, just so we're on the same page. You think you have a leg to stand on about what is and isn't offensive...

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danslott: Do not preach to me about offensive. You have no integrity and are desecrating an international icon solely to appease your own ego.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

...when you're the wonderful human being who typed up THAT?

But you hate people with brains and consciences. You've written an entire storyline about why not being a sociopath is silly, and chase down anyone who points this out as being STUPID.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By dernman

@angelalfonso: When did "little people" become a race?

On another note. Not directed or calling anyone out but honestly "little person" seems like one of those politically correct terms that actually seem more offensive than the ones they tell you not to say. Maybe that's just me.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt:

Sorry, I wasn't tiring to kiss slott ass, (I don’t like the guy very much right now) and I really thought you were taking a shot at little people

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angelalfonso: No, never. I treat everyone equally (usually with contempt, to be fair).

I just recognise the situation as the lazy writing that it is. Slott would have you believe that I'm being discriminatory, but that's because slander is his go-to move.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

I do think that “little person” is equally offensive as midget or dwarf, because they are people the same as any, but I was trying to use like you said “the politically correct term” just in case

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

@danslott said:

You think you have a leg to stand on when all you do in your spare time is trawl forums with Steve Wacker as your bodyguard and target anyone who doesn't like your work, baselessly insulting them and justifying it like the 10 year old child with "oh he started it first"? We're supposed to side with an aggrandizing coward who can't take criticism and thinks everyone wants to read about his self-inserted version of Spider-Man? Fade is smarter, more creative and has more integrity than you, you're a man-child who thinks he's the best because he can make Spider-Man cool be replacing him with a pathetic unhealthy balding aging man who for all intents and purposes is Dan Slott the comic book character and then acting as if you're the victim when the largest part of the community scoffs at it and despises you for demolishing an iconic character with so little tact and ham-fisted love for yourself. Why don't you take your falsely indignant righteous bull to CBR or SpiderManCrawlSpace again?

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But you hate people with brains and consciences. You've written an entire storyline about why not being a sociopath is silly...

Tell me, do you think BREAKING BAD is a story about how great it would be to cook meth?

Do you think MAD MEN is about how awesome it would be to live your life like Don Draper?

Are we supposed to root for Vic Mackey in THE SHIELD?

Yeah. I "hate people with brains and consciences." Oy. Seriously. Stop. You're getting so bent out of shape for people possibly accusing you of discrimination... when you're so blind to the fact you were trying to do the exact same thing-- and are now SO offended that I swung back.

You're a real piece of work. The kind of "fan" who gives fans a bad name-- and only truly exists on the internet. But please, try to swing this all back on me again. It's a nice tactic to try and deflect yourself from this:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

That's the only thing I've really been talking about on this thread. Now please, give me another epic post about how you're the wronged party here. You're getting quite good at it.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35: sorry but trawling a forum? last time i checked everyone here IS A FAN OF COMIC BOOKS! none of you seem to see this and just act as if him being here is trespassing. Christ if you insulted me in another topic and I replied would you hold it against me ? or do you expect me to just sit there and take it? at the end of the day each of us is human and WE ALL DON'T CARE FOR BEING INSULTED

now then you can all get back on your soapboxes and claim hes trolling you when in fact not a single person here can criticize him without throwing a direct insult towards THE PERSON instead of his work

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreenlantern: Visitng and posting on a forum and actively attacking and insulting users just because they say you don't like your work is a completely different thing. And then acting righteous that you're the one in the right because "he started it".

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35: here as proof you can criticize the mans work without insulting him notice I got a proper well written answer

@danslott said:
    @mrgreenlantern said:

"All of the power None of the Responsibility"<----does this apply to scarlet spider or superior now?...

That applies to Scarlet Spider.

In Doc Ock's mind he is ALL ABOUT Great Power & Great Responsibility.

He's taken it upon himself to be responsible for ALL of New York. He's watching out for every crime. Optimizing his time to do the most good. He is trying (in his own way) to be the greatest hero of all time.

Hell, go through your SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN copies and you'll see that Ock has been quoting that line more than Pete did during the last year of the BIG TIME run.

Last issue, he brought it up again and compared it-- via his interpretation-- to mean that "Might Means Right."

And *spoilers* if you haven't read the previews for tomorrow's issue, he invokes the actual moment when that concept came into being in the Spider-Man Universe.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O_o

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danslott: See that's all you do. You can't refute genuine criticism. Everything I've said is about your writing. Not you being discriminatory, but that your writing was pathetically trite and manipulative. I've only spoken about your writing, and how you present yourself on forums with what can only be described as a complete lack of professionalism.

Whenever anyone takes issue with your work, you come in with ad-hominem attacks, trying desperately to divert attention and present yourself as some kind of martyr, valiantly being crucified for your art.

I'm fine being a "fan" who gives fans' bad names. You're a "writer" that gives writers a bad name. I exist in real life too. Many of your detractors do, but you wouldn't know that, you're too busy hiding from them by ditching comic-con events

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#75  Edited By Joygirl

Points to Slott for actually sticking around for a verbal brawl. Lobdell would have dropped one or two barbs and have already "moved on" by now.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

@danslott: You do realize that no matter what you say you still look like the bad guy here, right? You're a professional writer, it is your job to write stories, you are paid to so, you are not some kid in a basement writing fan fiction. What that means for readers is that you are held to higher standard when it comes to dealing with criticism. And so when you come in here and make a big post calling someone who mocked your writing stupid over and over again, you don't come across as some kinda internet hero. You come across as someone like you can't take any negativity without just jumping to insults immediately. It's petty and unprofessional and brings a smile to my face knowing I don't read anything you write because of it.

Then again, your reaction isn't unexpected given there's entire videos about how little self control you seem to have when dealing with anyone who would dare speak out against your writing. So I suppose my point will be lost on you.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@fadetoblackbolt: i think it would help with making your point about his writing if you maybe cited some examples of "pathetically trite" and "manipulative" I'm being honest here and I do know the most glaring writing problems but please do elaborate so this isn't just a topic of insults

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@danslott: See that's all you do. You can't refute genuine criticism. Everything I've said is about your writing. Not you being discriminatory, but that your writing was pathetically trite and manipulative. I've only spoken about your writing, and how you present yourself on forums with what can only be described as a complete lack of professionalism.

Not necessarily, and that's not what he was criticizing you for. He's only responding to the initial comment you posted.

Just to make it clear, the reason why this is offensive:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

—is that you had to conceive, without any supporting context within the text that I can think of, that having a romantic relationship in even the slightest degree with a little person was not only tantamount to punishment, but a punishment worthy of a mass murderer. Then you projected that onto the writer after you thought it up.

Even if that wasn't your intention when you wrote it, can't you see how that could be interpreted? With that in mind, doesn't the tone of his response make more sense?

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: Where he works doesn't matter one bit you insult another person and expect no repercussions? just because hes a writer should he be immune to the nonsense that goes on around here sometimes? the logic you guys use when he insults you back is HILARIOUS "OMGZ HE CANT SAY THAT TO ME!" "HOW DARE HE INSULT ME BACK" etc etc etc you can act like you have the high ground NEWS FLASH NOBODY DOES

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35: here as proof you can criticize the mans work without insulting him notice I got a proper well written answer

@danslott said:
    @mrgreenlantern said:

"All of the power None of the Responsibility"<----does this apply to scarlet spider or superior now?...

That applies to Scarlet Spider.

In Doc Ock's mind he is ALL ABOUT Great Power & Great Responsibility.

He's taken it upon himself to be responsible for ALL of New York. He's watching out for every crime. Optimizing his time to do the most good. He is trying (in his own way) to be the greatest hero of all time.

Hell, go through your SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN copies and you'll see that Ock has been quoting that line more than Pete did during the last year of the BIG TIME run.

Last issue, he brought it up again and compared it-- via his interpretation-- to mean that "Might Means Right."

And *spoilers* if you haven't read the previews for tomorrow's issue, he invokes the actual moment when that concept came into being in the Spider-Man Universe.

So tell me, how many Spider-Man topics are there when someone asks something like that and Dan Slott shows up as the saint pioneer of internet approachability and answers these queries? Oh, that's right none. He only shows up when his Spider-Sense is tingling that someone is actively hating on his work. He's only here because, as he does on CBR or that Spider-Man site, he finds some way to make himself a victim of "unfair bullies" when he spares no quarter to provoke and insult these same people in response and justifies it that they started it. Both me and Fade actually liked his Mighty Avengers, I liked the Initiative, I hate his Spider-Man and I do not like Dan Slott as a person in the slightest, or at least the persona he adopts online, the wimp who deflects all criticism of his work and makes everyone else out to be in the wrong because he is about as thick-skinned as a slip of paper.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreenlantern: If it's just nonsense then he should ignore it.

We expect that from every user.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreenlantern: I already have with regard to this point. Slott is attempting to make Ock sympathetic by pairing up a character who has been shown to have less scruples than OJ Simpson with someone that he "loves for her mind". It's a cliched method of manipulating the audience without really doing anything of note. Ock is instantly humanised and sympathetic simply by virtue of this one story telling device. And that's all it is. A device. Rather than building upon this particular aspect of Ock, he's instead just been thrown in the deep end, so to speak, and instantly a person capable of virtuous love. The entire run has lacked of anything close to subtlety. It's simply one brick hitting the audience in the head after another. It's poorly written and the fact that Slott seems incapable of accepting that viewpoint has led to the two of us trading barbs for something like 15 posts.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@x35: well to be honest when the topics are titled "the little girl spidey hitting it?" how can he not chime in ? keep in mind hes a fan just like the rest of us and theres no reason for him NOT to be on this forum, I for one am glad hes here , I'ts just too bad the majority of people here cant criticize his work without insulting the person in the same breath, I mean the time they took to write out valid points just get tossed out the window once you call him slutt .>_>

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Not necessarily, and that's not what he was criticizing you for. He's only responding to the initial comment you posted.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

—is that you had to conceive, without any supporting context within the text that I can think of, that having a romantic relationship in even the slightest degree with a little person was not only tantamount to punishment, but a punishment worthy of a mass murderer. Then you projected that onto the writer after you thought it up.

Even if that wasn't your intention when you wrote it, can't you see how that could be interpreted? With that in mind, doesn't the tone of his response make more sense?

If you looked over my other posts you would see that my comment had nothing to do with the character's actual appearance, just the fact that she's being used as a plot device to elicit a sympathetic reaction from the audience.

I'm not the best guy in the world, everyone knows that, but they also know that I don't discriminate against anyone. And that post, on a community forum where I'm an active member of the community, makes sense to the people I post it for. That is, the CV community. Slott came after me, and that's fine, but I've justified my original post a dozen times. He doesn't want to acknowledge that, but would rather act as though I'm some kind of demon. That may be true, but I'm a demon that dislikes everyone on Earth equally.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: Y'know what would be the bitchinest twist ever? If it turns out Ock doesn't love her for her mind, but actually has a sizeplay fetish.

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DanSlott

Oy.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danslott: See that's all you do. You can't refute genuine criticism.

Sorry. But if you think the equivalent of "Hey, you're a dick! Now answer my question!" deserves any kind of serious consideration, you're delusional. How does that approach work for you in the real world?

I answer a great deal of respectful and well thought out criticism of the stuff I work on. Must not be on the sites you like to frequent.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danslott: See that's all you do. You can't refute genuine criticism. Everything I've said is about your writing. Not you being discriminatory...

You can't be that far removed from reality to believe that. And if you are, boy, am I'm beginning to see the disconnect.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danslott:...but you wouldn't know that, you're too busy hiding from them by ditching comic-con events

Again. Here's reality. And here's YOU-- as far away from it as possible. I didn't go to SDCC this year. I was never going to SDCC this year. I was never on the program. I told people months in advance on Twitter, FB, and on comic boards that I wouldn't be going. I was already too over committed to shows already.

I have, since ASM #700 was released, done 9 store signings and 4 comic conventions in 8 months. Tomorrow I'll be at Toronto's FanExpo (one of the largest cons in North America) and I'll be doing another signing in NYC a week from Wednesday. So... 10 signings and 5 comic conventions in 8 months. Only on the internet could me doing 3 days straight, 10 hours a day, of signing one month-- but NOT going to a show that I WASN'T scheduled to attend, be called "hiding". Internet "facts" are adorable.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Ha, I'd actually prefer that. The badguy being written as a bad guy.

Not a hero in a morally relative world.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: you should never have to ignore a personal attack against oneself, I mean what does that say to kids being bullied ? just take it as is and ignore them and they will just magically stop one day

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35: well to be honest when the topics are titled "the little girl spidey hitting it?" how can he not chime in ? keep in mind hes a fan just like the rest of us and theres no reason for him NOT to be on this forum

Oh, yeah, he's just a fan like us. A fan who is writing the book. Yeah, he's a fan. JUST LIKE US. I remember the last time I wrote Spider-Man and got paid insane amounts for it. So, yeah, he's a fan. JUST LIKE US. There's no substance at all to the logic that on a forum Dan Slott is just "another fan", because he's not. In these circles he has "celebrity". The tone could be completely different, we could all be singing his praises, but the fact remains, he would still be far from just "another fan".

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fodigg said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

If you looked over my other posts you would see that my comment had nothing to do with the character's actual appearance, just the fact that she's being used as a plot device to elicit a sympathetic reaction from the audience.

I'm not the best guy in the world, everyone knows that, but they also know that I don't discriminate against anyone. And that post, on a community forum where I'm an active member of the community, makes sense to the people I post it for. That is, the CV community. Slott came after me, and that's fine, but I've justified my original post a dozen times. He doesn't want to acknowledge that, but would rather act as though I'm some kind of demon. That may be true, but I'm a demon that dislikes everyone on Earth equally.

If this is truly a case of one mis-worded post that gets clarified in later posts, I'd suggest you go back and edit the post itself, because something that inflammatory on its own is going to get snap reactions.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Well Fade going head to head in the Internet ring with Slott certainly has its benefits.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I am surprised and a little impressed that this argument has gone on for so long without someone or the other making a comparison to Hitler.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DecoyElite

@decoyelite: you should never have to ignore a personal attack against oneself, I mean what does that say to kids being bullied ? just take it as is and ignore them and they will just magically stop one day

That's the argument of the kind of person who thinks we should be allowed to insult in the first place.

The flag button is there for a reason.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna bow out now before Slott deconstructs my posts and only highlights when i called him a "coward" to make his point and then make ten subsequent posts about how brain-dead i am.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@x35: I sure would be sad if you got a job writing for marvel I mean by your logic you shouldn't be allowed to continue on loving comic books as a fan right? your just one of those "writers" in the same way a star athlete getting paid millions is a sellout for doing something he loves for cash...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By dernman

I am surprised and a little impressed that this argument has gone on for so long without someone or the other making a comparison to Hitler.

Citizenbane-bane to citizens-Hitler being the bane of jewish citizens. OMG!

DanSlott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x35 said:

I remember the last time I wrote Spider-Man and got paid insane amounts for it.

Okay. THAT was funny.

(Typed from my yacht... resting in the pool of my ENORMOUS mansion. Seriously. Have you SEEN the way Jason Aaron and I dress?)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the fight of the century, you DON'T wanna miss it! DAN SLOTT vs. FADETOBLACKBOLT! The internet heavyweight division will NEVER be the same! Tickets on sale now for only $179.95! Get in quick before the mat is covered in so much blood this becomes greco-roman wrestling! Who will win? The "Superior" comic author? Or the veteran ComicVine poster? Two men enter the ring... ONLY ONE survives!!!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By X35

@mrgreenlantern: Again, the exact same principle as "Visiting and posting on a forum and actively attacking and insulting users just because they say you don't like your work is a completely different thing".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.