Superior Spider-man Sales Figures & Chart

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

Do people not understand how comic sales work?

#52 Posted by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: For perspective, I placed a chart showing sales for 4 other titles.

Can you also she some light on these

- In ASM 690, we found out that Silver Sable is alive and that her story isn't over, as stated by Julia Carpenter, could you say when she might be returning.

- Did Julia Carpenter Know that this was going to happen to Peter, because the way her dialogue was, it sounded like she did or at least had an idea of it, and definitely knew in ASM 695

- If you can, what does the future hold of Mary Jane & Carlie Cooper.

Thanks for adjusting the charts. I appreciate that.

To answer your questions:

1. We've only seen that Julia Carpenter has SAID Silver Sable is alive. But that was after a long pause. And that COULD mean she was lying.Peter even wondered if that was the case. And since we saw Sable in Peter's mind-- when he was imagining heaven-- Peter believed she was dead.

2. Julia's currently in a coma. So we have no way of knowing when and what she knew... Maybe if she were to come out of that coma...?

3. Carlie is working on putting a case together to prove (or disprove) her theory about the Superior Spider-Man... and she's enlisted a mysterious someone's help... As for MJ? Check in with SSM #10 to see her next appearance (same for Carlie too)!

#53 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: I would just like to say that I respect you for replying to fans and critics. Also, quality wise, this book is fantastic. Though i've never been a huge Spidey fan, so maybe its easier for me to accept this story as it is.

Also, to those who don't like Superior Spiderman, why not give Ultimate Spiderman a try? Why waste all this energy hating on Spock, when you have a brand new character and history being established in Ultimate Spiderman? One that seems to be permanent, unlike his 616 counterpart. That's what I don't understand. Ultimate Spiderman has been the premier spiderman book recently. At least in my opinion. No offense Dan. =P

#54 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, since he's a new user, give him time to reply. Comicvine has posting limits (5 I think) every 24 hrs for new users. Up until he reaches about 20 posts.

#55 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4810 posts) - - Show Bio

oh my god he even types like him

is this really happening i'm so happy

Ahem.

I love it when writers post openly here. It is a favorite thing of mine that CV lacks badly in comparison to other forum sites.

AHAHAHAH I love ya man

You remind me of my ol' pal Venny ( + )

#57 Edited by Teerack (6625 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott:

WOW! :O You mentioned me by name! I find that pretty cool to be honest...

First off the images in the OP were actually different when I made my posts.

I do understand that the drop was normal, but I don't think I said anything to imply I thought the sales were doing horrible. I even said they were higher then ASM.(The ASM sales image wasn't there when I made my post either) My reaction came from seeing that the book wasn't selling 100k+ an issue like I thought based on other statements I've heard, because if it really was then I could see SSM going on for a very long time. To be honest I don't want that, so I was happy. I'd rather see the sales drop to be equal with ASM so that Marel doesn't keep the book going just for money reasons. /shrug

And I don't even know if you saw the other post I made, but considering the nature of the internet you would have to have known what kinds of post/responses would get highlighted... and your tone doesn't usually make you look better >.< But I'm a sarcastic condescending jerk to, so I shouldn't talk :P

Fun Fact: I asked a question at New York Comic Con 2012 Spider-Man panel and the first thing I said was that I was a huge fan of yours... then I asked about Black Cat , and then Mark Waid answered my question >.< but yeah... I'm not like just a hater of you just to be a hater of you... I just hate the direction you're taking Spider-Man.

Now I'm sad at myself for not thinking of something to ask you in this opportunity that I think you'd actually answer -_-

#58 Edited by animehunter (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott said:

@animehunter said:

@danslott: For perspective, I placed a chart showing sales for 4 other titles.

Can you also she some light on these

- In ASM 690, we found out that Silver Sable is alive and that her story isn't over, as stated by Julia Carpenter, could you say when she might be returning.

- Did Julia Carpenter Know that this was going to happen to Peter, because the way her dialogue was, it sounded like she did or at least had an idea of it, and definitely knew in ASM 695

- If you can, what does the future hold of Mary Jane & Carlie Cooper.

Thanks for adjusting the charts. I appreciate that.

To answer your questions:

1. We've only seen that Julia Carpenter has SAID Silver Sable is alive. But that was after a long pause. And that COULD mean she was lying.Peter even wondered if that was the case. And since we saw Sable in Peter's mind-- when he was imagining heaven-- Peter believed she was dead.

2. Julia's currently in a coma. So we have no way of knowing when and what she knew... Maybe if she were to come out of that coma...?

3. Carlie is working on putting a case together to prove (or disprove) her theory about the Superior Spider-Man... and she's enlisted a mysterious someone's help... As for MJ? Check in with SSM #10 to see her next appearance (same for Carlie too)!

Thanks for answering, much appreciated

I'll definitely be picking up SSM #10 to find out want happens with MJ and Carlie.

As for Silver Sable, I'm holding out hope that she did survive, that Julia wasn't lying, because with no body found there is always a good chance of a character returning, also and this is my personal opinion, I always felt that Silver Sable would have made a good partner for Spider-man/Peter Parker.

Edit: Julia's pause could also mean she hesitated in whether or not to tell him what she knew.

#59 Posted by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: Answer more questions!!

Look at the previous page,there's a lot!

#60 Posted by MrMondo (2 posts) - - Show Bio

For another perspective we could look at sales figures over the years, pre and post OMD. In 2006 and 2007 Amazing Spider-Man steadily sold in the 100-90K range. Then OMD happened late 2007, after that 2008 sales started in the 100-90K range but by the end of the year were down in the 60K's and have pretty much stayed there since. That's a pretty massive drop off for Marvel's most popular character. And to compare, another popular Marvel title, Uncanny X-Men sold in the 90-80K range for 2006-2008, no big drop off.

Sorry, no fancy graph

Now Superior Spider-Man seems to be stabilizing in the 80K range (but 8 issues is too small a sample to say for sure) and if it stays there I don't thing we'll see the end of "Superior" any time soon.

#61 Edited by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmondo: If those numbers are real (shame on the no graph/source...I'd love to be sure), I actually find that rather satisfying. I've always been uniquely offended by OMD, and the thought that the event had that much of a detrimental impact on sales is vindicating, even if it doesn't retcon it.

#62 Posted by MrMondo (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Here's where I got my numbers:

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-november-2006/

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-december-2007/

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to_month-sales-january-2009/

Sorry, still no graph.

#63 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmondo: Thanks. You piqued my curiosity, and I had time, so I went ahead and checked out Comichron for sales from OMD into the next two years. And yeah...

ASM 544 146,170 } OMD 1/4

FNSM 24 110,289 } OMD 2/4

SSM 41 100,264 } OMD 3/4

ASM 545 124,406 } OMD 4/4

ASM 546 127,856

ASM 547 101,132

ASM 548 97,881

ASM 549 101,048

ASM 550 90,817

ASM 551 88,029

ASM 552 89,808

ASM 553 82,624

ASM 554 81,048

ASM 555 86,885

ASM 556 78,442

ASM 557 77,041

ASM 558 76,944

ASM 559 74,184

ASM 560 73,991

561 72,345

562 71,382

563 70,766

564 68,868

565 69,168

566 68,898

567 68,094

568 93,346

569 77,909

570 82,456

571 73,661

572 75,142

573 82,540

574 69,060

575 58,904

576 68,943

577 76,610

578 66,551

579 69,774

580 62,970

581 68,896

582 59,914

583 OBAMA COVER; inflated sales

584 63,735

585 60,275

586 59,510

587 60,107

...Wow. That event decimated their readership permanently.

#64 Edited by Joygirl (20045 posts) - - Show Bio

I see Joe Quesada decided to sell Spider-Man sales to Mephisto. I wonder what he got in return.

#65 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not get the Superior Spider-Man hate. I think the book is still fun and has some stories left to be told.

Though not quite the same thing, was there this much backlash when Dick took over for Bruce and Bucky for Steve?

#66 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@fenixrevolution: I think if Dick had murdered Bruce and stolen his identity and tried to bang his long-time significant other, there would probably have been more backlash.

#67 Edited by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Well yeah, that's why I did indicate the two were under different circumstances.

It honestly sounds like a lot of noise over nothing to me.

#68 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@fenixrevolution: Well, there are a myriad other threads to argue over why people like me hate this series; one, in fact, specifically for "why do you hate this series," so I'll leave the conversation for those threads.

As has been pointed out, the sales for this book have maintained a rather standard drop and leveling compared to other books. However the available data does not include reaction to issue 9, wherein Dan Slott really kills Peter Parker, and I know there are a lot of fans who were only sticking with the book because ghost Parker gave them the hope that he'd be coming back soon. With him dead, many folks' only reason for continuing the series died too, so I am very interested to see what the next few issues look like, sales-wise. I predict a noticeable hit -- all the people for whom this is the final nail in the coffin -- but Spider-Man fans are notoriously sadomasochistic, so there's really no telling.

#69 Edited by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we can both agree, last issue aside, Peter will be back. A character of his status doesn't get bumped off and not brought back. It's just a matter of where in the story it'll happen.

We can happily agree to disagree on the sales hit. I think it may take a minor loss, but what book isn't doing that month to month already?

I can appreciate people's opinions on disliking the book and direction that its going though, I'm just in it for the ride.

Note: I think most comic fans are closet masochists or we'd have all bailed on this crazy comic thing long ago.

#70 Edited by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

If you read here you will understand that he joined ComicVine only to argue with us,on the sales numbers....nothing more.

#71 Posted by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

"Mr.Slott,just stop arguing with people and just talk about Superior Spider-Man details and post on OTHER FORUMS that you posted recently.....because you post here,as i see it,only to answer to people that bash the book!....

Just discuss other stuff,besides,sales and hate.....please. "

That's what i wrote to him,in the Marvel forum.....

#72 Posted by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said: "(Slott) is a man with self-confidence problems,and want approval for everything to feel important."

@danslott: Answer more questions!!

If you read here you will understand that he joined ComicVine only to argue with us,on the sales numbers....nothing more.

I can't understand WHY someone wouldn't feel the urgent need to answer your questions. It's a mystery.

#73 Posted by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: I am not representing only myself....if you're so prickly dont answer my questions,other people asked too.

And it's really sad that you joined the forum only to talk about sales figures.....really sad.

#74 Posted by DarkCrawler (95 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: I am not representing only myself....if you're so prickly dont answer my questions,other people asked too.

And it's really sad that you joined the forum only to talk about sales figures.....really sad.

This friggin thing

#75 Posted by Spydey (402 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to root for a character you just don't like. The entire point of this was to have a darker Spider, which I thought we were getting with Kaine. If he wanted to start over with someone entirely knew, then the thing to do would have just been to kill of Pete all together. Worked great for 1610. Heck, time travel was 'in' then, so they could have just brought back Miguel for a sort of Edge of Time type of thing for Pete's send off. But instead we have this villain, who has convinced himself he's entitled to everything Pete's worked for. It's not like when Dick took over the mantle for Bruce. Again, that worked. Fans were mad at first, but they came to accept it. And what's even worse about it, is the supporting cast being oblivious to the changes(months have past and MJ's still talking as if he's only recently started to act odd), There seems to be on repercussions for his actions; "Oh what's that? Pete just all of a sudden killed two people after 16 years of a clean record? Meh, he's going through a phase."

All of it, is just so hard to appreciate on a level passed fun to look at it. Yea, it has it's moments, but when I'm done reading it, I'm like, "Well...that wasn't right."

And if Otto says he's the Superior Spider every issue...oh..my...gurd.

#76 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: I'm not going to insult the story or the writing or anything I just want to know to settle my own curiosity. Does Ock have a contingency plan for telepaths since they could pretty much instantly out him?

#77 Posted by wrthreeh (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't tell if this is the legit Dan Slott...or a /really/ good impersonator.

I have my doubts.

#78 Edited by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

@spydey: nailed it, bro.

@wrthreeh:I believe he's real...He's not posting every day and he's responding only to posts that are against him.It's him.

@danslott:And if you please get over my masive insaults and answer:Is MJ dum?....cause in the 90s and when JMS wrote, she was a preety smart and strong woman..i mean,who wouldnt question Pete now?......is this a continuity problem?(sarcasm)

#79 Posted by Mrgreenlantern (661 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone not liking the direction Superior is taking should just drop it and pickup Scarlet Spider and or Avenging both titles are well written and if ock having peters body is so bad just start reading the "clones" book

P.S read Scarlet Spider for Aracely alone!!! shes such a great new character oh the Hummingbird =p

#80 Edited by Spydey (402 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone not liking the direction Superior is taking should just drop it and pickup Scarlet Spider and or Avenging both titles are well written and if ock having peters body is so bad just start reading the "clones" book

P.S read Scarlet Spider for Aracely alone!!! shes such a great new character oh the Hummingbird =p

Loving Scarlet Spider(Though Ultimate Spider-man's my top Spidey book) and Kaine's relationship with Aracely. Not going to lie, that werewolf arc had me worried for a second. I kind of hope this whole 'Others' type of thing they're doing for Kaine is forgotten about lol.

#81 Posted by animehunter (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

I've updated the sales figures for SSM issue 9 - 93,654 & issue 10 - 85,344

#82 Edited by Mucklefluga (2570 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: I'm ashamed to be a CV member when i see what some of the mindless people post on here...

Try to have fun on the site ahaha :D

#83 Edited by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Well. Looks like the sales are doing exactly what I said they'd do.

Which is pretty much what every ongoing book does after a relaunch: Have a great 1st month. Take a large drop to its 2nd month. Less of a drop to its 3rd month. And then level out in its 4th month.

That's how it works. For practically every long running comic.

You'll probably see some very gradual attrition from month to month (as you do on every book), with the occasional spike for a variant cover. And then larger spikes at the starts of new story arcs or event tie-ins. Then those numbers will have gradual attrition as well. And the cycle will begin again.

No offense to anyone out there, but this isn't rocket science. This has been the state of things on all major books for the last decade-- if not more. Occasionally there will be a massive spike in sales brought on by a "game changer" like CIVIL WAR or the NEW 52 or a change in creative teams. But then everything falls back into this very reliable pattern.

Right now? Since its relaunch, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN has (outside of books going through their 1st issue and/or 2nd issue spikes) been Marvel's best-selling ongoing title. The double shipping (and sometimes triple shipping) mini-series/event AGE OF ULTRON has pushed everything down 2 or 3 spaces in ranking since it started up, but in terms of sales alone SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN has been performing REALLY well. Marvel wouldn't be branding all of this summer's Spider-books with the "Superior" brand if it wasn't. Again, not rocket science.

So we good?

Sorry I haven't been on these boards-- other than to dispute some of the crazy theories about the book's sales-- but that just really seems silly to me and I feel the need to slap that down from time-to-time. I've been on books that have had struggling sales (SHE-HULK, SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH, THING...) so I know what that looks and feels like. And it just seems insane to me that someone can do the most bizarre read of very standard data and draw the conclusion that Marvel's regularly best selling ongoing title is performing poorly. Seriously, it boggles the mind.

Anyway... Also sorry that I haven't been around to answer questions. But honestly, between my Twitter, my Facebook, and message boards that I do frequent regularly (mainly CBR), it's not such a hard thing to find me on the net and ask me a question. I've got a ton of work to do, so I can't always promise to answer them. But I do answer a ton. Anyhoo... ttyl. Have a good Tuesday!

#84 Posted by danhimself (22586 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: question. Will Spider-man 2099 coming to the present play into the whole thing with the timeline being abused that we've been hearing about?

love the book btw

#85 Edited by animehunter (2013 posts) - - Show Bio
#86 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Sales are still going down it has not leveled off yet.....My friend predicted that would happen. I guess he was right. He predicted that there are other factors such as the lack of Peter in the book and how long people will get the book waiting for his return. I should have known he would be right since he does this type of thing for a living.

#87 Edited by freeballer (61 posts) - - Show Bio

This is exactly the point I tried to get across. And frankly I think it's going to continue that trend until the figures are back where we started with ASM... and it should happen fairly soon if they continue to decline.

I just know slott will draw this out as long as he can. But realistically, how long can otto go without running into a super genius like stark, a phychic, friends and family who know what he is. How long before they give him an ultimatum, or try to expunge otto from PETER PARKER's body? Frankly venom or scarlet should be able to figure it out.. and hopefully puts us out of our misery.
Drawn out, until ASM2 or they realize the sales dip has gotten them nowhere from ASM.

btw. julia's out of her coma...

#88 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
#89 Edited by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Quick question to the room.

Which Top 25 comics have NOT had this sales pattern in the last FIFTEEN YEARS:

A spike in sales after a big event, storyline, tie-in, creative shift, or relaunch...

Followed by gradual attrition of sales...

ANOTHER spike in sales after a big event, storyline, tie-in, creative shift, or relaunch...

Followed by gradual attrition of sales...

ANOTHER spike in sales after a big event, storyline, tie-in, creative shift, or relaunch...

Followed by gradual attrition of sales... and so on?

Predicting something will follow THIS EXACT PATTERN is not magic. It's predicting that the sun will come up tomorrow and that, yes, water is still wet.

Will there be tinier bumps for alternate covers? Sure. But this is pretty much how EVERY comic in the industry sells.

Books going down by a fraction of a percent month-to-month is NOT news. It's how this works.

Pointing at a tree on fire and yelling that it's burning DOESN'T make you perceptive-- if the ENTIRE forest is ablaze. You get how that works, right?

I read this stuff and roll my eyes. The current Spider-Man book is outperforming everyone's expectations at Marvel. It is currently Marvel's highest selling ongoing title. There's a reason Marvel just rebranded a number of books with the "Superior" brand-- to bump their sales UP. The spin of taking the ONLY Marvel NOW title to go back to press for a 5th printing-- and to turn that issue's insanely high sales into a NEGATIVE is an inspired move of hater-misdirection. As is using the twice-a-month shipping to contrast its data against single shipping titles-- that's inspired.

But take a step back. Look at the very easy to see facts: It's doing 20K+ what ASM used to be doing. It's been burning up Marvel's charts for six straight months. The book's doing EXTREMELY well. :-)

#90 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

"But this is pretty much how EVERY comic in the industry sells."

If you look at the attrition this book has a higher rate than quite a few. Also if you compare top character to top character for example Spider-Man to the Batman to be fair Spider-man is not even close.

Also not EVERY book had that pattern (at least that is what Fuzzball showed with accurate data which he had proof of). I guess people here are right Slott only shows up to try to spin numbers.

#91 Posted by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: Well hello there!

I guess you wont be visiting us for another 2 months,so let me be clear.....are you capable,or willing to discuss maters that doesnt involve sales,or numbers?!....or you just will be arguing with people for stuff that deflect from the story......it's a preety straight forward question.

@spider11211: And again,reply button.He wont be seing that you posted something for him.Anyone.

#92 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker:

I think you figured it out, also could it be that he is only here when he has to take a time out from the Marvel forum after hmm lets say 4 pages have to be removed to cover his lies.

#93 Posted by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

"But this is pretty much how EVERY comic in the industry sells."

If you look at the attrition this book has a higher rate than quite a few. Also if you compare top character to top character for example Spider-Man to the Batman to be fair Spider-man is not even close.

Also not EVERY book had that pattern (at least that is what Fuzzball showed with accurate data which he had proof of). I guess people here are right Slott only shows up to try to spin numbers.

The attrition of this book is ONLY at a higher rate because it's coming off of the tremendous sales of SSM #1-- a NEW #1 of the SPIDER-MAN flagship book. That hasn't happen in over a decade! Of COURSE that book is going to do phenomenally well. To argue that the attrition is GREATER for that book over others is a crazy argument. It'd be tantamount to saying that the 350K sales of ASM #583 suffered outrageous attrition to ASM #584 because of the Brand New Day storylines and NOT because the previous issue featured Obama! :-P

There are leaps of logic that "Fuzzball" takes that tie in to his FEELINGS about the book and its direction and NOT about what's ACTUALLY taking place in the market. Also, his data is NOT accurate. I've SEEN the actual data-- and that's not it. Comparing "top character" to "top character" is also a nice bit of misdirection. Yes, Snyder and Capullo's BATMAN is one of the BEST books in the industry-- along with Jason Aaron's THOR, it is one of MY favorite top 2 titles coming out right now. But a LARGE factor to its financial success in the market place-- and retailer confidence in it-- was HOW the BATMAN book was launched at the start of New 52. It had a returnability process that allowed retailers to order it in far greater numbers than ANY Marvel title-- with less risk of losing capital at the end of the day. NO Marvel title from the Marvel NOW launch has had that kind of incentive attached to it. The arbitrary "Top Character to Top Character" comparison is silly when you look at it from a business stand point, because its apples-to-oranges. You could argue that Brian Michael Bendis is as big (or bigger) draw than Scott Snyder, but you choose not to compare his best-selling ALL-NEW X-MEN to BATMAN, 'cause it'd yield the same results-- and, just like SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, ALL-NEW X-MEN wasn't launched with returnability incentives either. No Marvel title is. End of the day THAT is the clever spin that's at work here.

The facts are the facts: SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN is Marvel's best selling ongoing title. Its sales are far above what AMAZING SPIDER-MAN'S used to be. And ALL books go through gradual attrition from month-to-month, until they receive their next spike, and the cycle begins again.

#94 Edited by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

I guess you wont be visiting us for another 2 months,so let me be clear.....are you capable,or willing to discuss maters that doesnt involve sales,or numbers?!....or you just will be arguing with people for stuff that deflect from the story......it's a preety straight forward question.

Hi. The best place to ask me questions about the title are over at Twitter.

Unless you're Freeballer. :-P

Am I just here to "argue about numbers"?

No. I'm just here to set the record straight. :-)

#95 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

If you look Fuzzball calculated it excluding #1 also and it STILL had a higher rate of attrition than quite a few. Also the argument is not crazy since many products have started very well then fell and ended up a long run failure, you need to explore the history of business more. Short term success does not mean a guaranteed long run success. Also the leaps made were not leaps they were judgments based on DATA. Comparing a top character to a top character is not a misdirection comparing a top character to a second tier is a misdirection. This is not a silly argument that is your EXCUSE, from a business standpoint your competitors sales is very important. If you actually look Fuzzball compared many titles in his charts and video, and FYI he plans to add Batman in his next update. Also Fuzzball has proof that the data is accurate and has shared it with many people including myself. His data is proven, also his feelings were not the basis the data was, he does this for a living he knows what he is doing, he has even done statistical work for your biggest competitor.

Sales are above what they were Fuzzball stated that and explained why also so really you should give up.

Notice still you are only coming in here to discuss sales proving everyone that stated that right too.

If you want to debate this debate it with the author Fuzzball not me , he is much better with this stuff than I am and he has the credentials and experience to back it up. But then again from what I have seen you will never do that.

By the way you have not set any records straight except that you like to troll and hide facts:) Or you would contact Fuzzball and have this discussion with HIM.

#96 Posted by PunyParker (11394 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott said:

@punyparker said:

Hi. The best place to ask me questions about the title are over at Twitter.

Unless you're Freeballer. :-P

Am I just here to "argue about numbers"?

No. I'm just here to set the record straight. :-)

You're not answering me on Twitter....no,seriously,no offence or anything,maybe you dont see the posts?...
I visit my Tw. sporadically,so,any other forum that you're active,except marvel.com?...(i am the guy who you are not responding,and i'm complaining,about that...)

#97 Edited by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

What I love are the emails I get from people who've seen threads and posts like these.

They go like this (actual quotes):

"Why are you arguing with these (redacted)? Our sales haven't been this up on a Spidey book in years..."

"Where are they getting this? It's our top seller..."

"Stop talking with them and just write more books. We'll happily rack them."

"...where do you find these guys? It's our highest subscribed title out of all the Marvels..."

"...wish you did this years ago. We can't keep it on the shelves..."

"Between #700 and the new Superior, we've had more walk-ins that we've turned into regulars than we did on New 52..."

"Anyone who thinks this book is doing badly and not performing well for us is a (redacted). Tell them to get their (redacted) out of their (redacted). I ordered tons of the third printing of Superior #1, so I could give them away for free. Now it's a shop favorite."

These are from retailers from around the US (and one from the UK). And I get these kinds of messages all the time. It's hard not to give them more weight then angry message board posters or someone making inaccurate videos on YouTube. I think my foot's a little bit more in the real world than that-- and that I'm getting my intel from better sources.

#98 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

What I find funny is many of the messages I read about you are stating that you only care about sales and twisting things in forums. Also notice you only came here answering sales questions just like posters said you would. Notice yet again if you have an issue with the author contact him I am sure he could help you understand.

I think before you go off making snarky comments you should actually listen to what the person said. Fuzzball said sales are good but they are going down 100% true. The book is not superior 100% true.

Really if you have such an issue respond to him.

#99 Posted by Lvenger (20254 posts) - - Show Bio

@danslott: The fact you only talk about sales really shows what your primary purpose is with this book. That and writing your own personal fan fiction about the arrogant, psychopathic mad scientist supervillain that's supposedly more relatable than the everyman of superheroes, Peter Parker whose legacy you've desecrated in issue 700 and Superior 9. You want us to root for Spock (that's what I call him) when all we want is the real Spider-Man back and for your time as a Spider-Man writer to end.

#100 Edited by DanSlott (224 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@danslott: The fact you only talk about sales really shows what your primary purpose is with this book.

No. I LOVE talking about Spidey.

I'm talking about sales here-- AND where people talk smack and weird spin about sales elsewhere-- because misinformation and wild spin about something myself and my co-creators work very hard on BUGS me. I just pop into some of these little misdirection and spin zones to drop a few truth bombs from time to time. Are we proud that it's the best selling title at Marvel? Hell yeah.

But, honestly, end of the day-- writing about the world of Spider-Man is what I care MOST about.

If you've read the 100+ issue of Spidey appearances I've written-- heck, even just SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH-- and you think for ONE second that I don't love Spidey, you really don't get me at all.

:-)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.