Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man

imfxlix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm interested in starting to read the Superior Spider-Man but I'm wondering if it's worth reading?

Any thoughts?

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AmazingSpiderDan

In my honest opinion, Superior Spider-Man is the only decent thing Slott has written in terms of Spider-Man, and it's still not that good to me. Without giving too many spoilers, I'll try to give you a rundown of Superior Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man starts off after Dying Wish-- a story that ends with Otto Octavius switching bodies with Peter Parker, leaving Peter to die in Otto's. After realizing he's made a huge mistake, Otto vows to be a better Spider-Man than Peter in Peter's last moments.

A small problem I had with the story was Otto's dialogue and actions being extremely contrasting to Peter's which is usually highlighted a lot through the series, leaving us to see beloved characters like Mary Jane, The Avengers, Black Cat, and even J. Jonah Jameson not be able to tell the difference between Otto and Peter. It frustrated me to see these characters who are supposed to know the real Peter Parker not be able to tell something was off with him. There are a couple of investigations in the story, and a lot of questioning, but they don't really lead to anything significant.

The turning point for the series is definitely Superior Spider-Man #9, where we finally get to see Superior Spider-Man vs Amazing Spider-Man, but the outcome isn't all too 'amazing'.

The last story arc of the series is called Goblin Nation. The build up is pretty decent, yet the ending is so anticlimactic.

The overall story itself is lackluster, and there wasn't anything to it that made me think "Oh, man, I can't wait for the next issue!". While Superior Spider-Man was being written, there were a few times I fell off because of how uninterested I was. Oddly enough, I enjoyed reading Superior Spider-Man Team-Up by Christopher Yost more than the main title.

While Otto does do some pretty impressive things in the story, it makes me like it less because these are things Peter should've done. But unfortunately Slott's writing gives me no impression that Peter Parker is genius capable of being an efficient Spider-Man.

The only issues of Superior Spider-Man/Team-Up that I thought were pretty good were; Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 - #7, #9, #10, and Superior Spider-Man #11 - #13, #17 - #19, #27 - #31.

But in the end, if I could've had it my way, Superior Spider-Man would've never happened.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well in my opinion Superior never should have happened, I think @amazingspiderdan gave a pretty solid summary of the arc. Also my personal take on it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I personally enjoyed superior Spider-man. And reading all off it would be worth your time.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my honest opinion, Superior Spider-Man is the only decent thing Slott has written in terms of Spider-Man, and it's still not that good to me. Without giving too many spoilers, I'll try to give you a rundown of Superior Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man starts off after Dying Wish-- a story that ends with Otto Octavius switching bodies with Peter Parker, leaving Peter to die in Otto's. After realizing he's made a huge mistake, Otto vows to be a better Spider-Man than Peter in Peter's last moments.

A small problem I had with the story was Otto's dialogue and actions being extremely contrasting to Peter's which is usually highlighted a lot through the series, leaving us to see beloved characters like Mary Jane, The Avengers, Black Cat, and even J. Jonah Jameson not be able to tell the difference between Otto and Peter. It frustrated me to see these characters who are supposed to know the real Peter Parker not be able to tell something was off with him. There are a couple of investigations in the story, and a lot of questioning, but they don't really lead to anything significant.

The turning point for the series is definitely Superior Spider-Man #9, where we finally get to see Superior Spider-Man vs Amazing Spider-Man, but the outcome isn't all too 'amazing'.

The last story arc of the series is called Goblin Nation. The build up is pretty decent, yet the ending is so anticlimactic.

The overall story itself is lackluster, and there wasn't anything to it that made me think "Oh, man, I can't wait for the next issue!". While Superior Spider-Man was being written, there were a few times I fell off because of how uninterested I was. Oddly enough, I enjoyed reading Superior Spider-Man Team-Up by Christopher Yost more than the main title.

While Otto does do some pretty impressive things in the story, it makes me like it less because these are things Peter should've done. But unfortunately Slott's writing gives me no impression that Peter Parker is genius capable of being an efficient Spider-Man.

The only issues of Superior Spider-Man/Team-Up that I thought were pretty good were; Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #5 - #7, #9, #10, and Superior Spider-Man #11 - #13, #17 - #19, #27 - #31.

But in the end, if I could've had it my way, Superior Spider-Man would've never happened.

he had some great interactions with the mighty avengers.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior spider-man is the only spider-man story by slott that's worth reading and it's pretty awesome imo.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcflicky said:

Superior spider-man is the only spider-man story by slott that's worth reading and it's pretty awesome imo.

Almost agree, it is not awesome but it is his strongest work.

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
    deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I loved Superior, but each to his own. Some criticize it as not being "fresh" but honestly, show me one thing that's "fresh" in this day and age. Every concept's been done to death and if you try hard enough, you're going to find similarities in everything. Personally, I think it's the execution that counts and, IMO at least, Superior succeeded at delivering an interesting story.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By magnetic_eye

@amazingspiderdan said:

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ Sums it up very well. I personally found SSM to be nonsensical and extremely boring with all characters really dumbed down just to move the plot driven story along. There was no real character development, just characters reacting to the situations they found themselves in. The dialogue is almost akin to a Saturday morning TV cartoon and the whole story could have been told in a 12 issue arc.

The Superior Spider-Man Team Up by Chris Yost was better written and far more entertaining.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By The_Waffle

SSM was the dumbest thing I ever heard of, I mean Doc Ock in Spider-Mans body, that's the best you got? Absolute joke. Personally, I'd skip it dude.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior is pretty good and I have read almost every issue of Amazing starting from #1. If you haven't already, you should read superior foes of spider-man which is a truly great comic and much better than any other superior title

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zarius

The main Superior title is a worse story than OMD.

Superior Foes and Team-Up on the other hand are choice titles and need to be read.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved superior spider-man. a solid 8/10

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zarius

To partially quote Mr. Patridge

"STOP GETTING SPIDER-MAN WRONG"

Which Superior does. In spades. And not even in an intentional way.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

in my opinion, Superior Spider-man was really enjoyable. It was clear that the book would not last, so it was fun to enjoy the ride.

exaffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superior Spider-Man was awesome. People have problems with new ideas and changing what they grew up with. It was a refreshing take on the character.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

No. Save your money for a better comic. People don't dislike it cause it's a new idea which is what some people claim maybe there is a few but I think most of us have better reasons for hating it. Here are my reasons for hating it.

1.Otto is an unlikeable douche. I have zero sympathy for him. It's not just the fact that I can't relate too him but even if I could he's such an unlikable twit I don't want too.

2. Characters becoming dumb for absolutely no reason. No one should've fallen for Otto's act. Everyone in that story took Stupid pills. If you have too make characters dumber for the plot too work you need too rewrite. Which brings me too my next point.

3. Spider-Ock was a complete Mary-Sue. We have no reason too sympathize with him but the book treats him like he can do no wrong. Tries too show him as always right because he's the writer's favorite character.

4. Unoriginality. For all the talk about it being original it's NOT it has been done before and better.

In conclusion if you want too read a story about an anti-heroic Spider-Man read Scarlet Spider by Christopher Yost it's a much better written story with a more sympathetic protagonist.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_of_suprise: Wait it was not new and fresh? Freaky, I will have a Face/Off with you about this.

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@master_of_suprise: Wait it was not new and fresh? Freaky, I will have a Face/Off with you about this.

Challenge accepted. I'll list series that have done this before.

Avengers

Dragon Ball Z

Ultimate Spider-Man

All arcs I know of involving the Chameleon.

Kraven's Last Hunt.

Face/Off

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good I guess but not great. Definitely Slott's best work, which doesn't say much.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

Challenge accepted. I'll list series that have done this before.

Avengers

Dragon Ball Z

Ultimate Spider-Man

All arcs I know of involving the Chameleon.

Kraven's Last Hunt.

Face/Off

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

LOL, looks like I setup a spike:)

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed

MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Catty_Spider1

There was a conversation with Dan Slott over on CBR and although it was about Felicia's heel turn, it did touch on this regards Superior:

"If someone left a loaded gun lying around-- and another person used it to kill someone you love, wouldn't you blame both people?

Spidey screwed up-- he let Doc Ock get control of his body and he failed to get it back. Some people accept that Spidey wasn't responsible for what Ock did during that time. Others don't.

Felicia hasn't always made the best and/or most rational choices in her life. And all people don't act the same when it comes to who to blame and why to forgive someone"

It begs the question is Peter a loaded gun ? and was he in anyway responsible for Doc controlling him ?

For me the first question is harder to answer than the 2nd which is a simple no. Because with his Spider powers if he wanted too (he wouldn't) , he could be really dangerous

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's already a very good counter to what Dan said on CBR in regards to Felicia on the Crawlspace

Chase The Blues Away says:

This is such a conglomeration of nonsense and BS and logical fallacies, I don't know where to begin.

But I think it speaks to how Slott sees the characters - and that's not as characters. I've said it before, but he really does treat them like action figures. Note how he doesn't use "Peter" or even "Spider-Man" - no, he's "Spidey." A kid's toy.

Also, to compare DOc Ock taking over Peter's body and punching Felicia to someone getting a hold of a loaded gun and killing a loved one - say WHA?!??!?!

First, that's using emotion to manipulate and cloud the argument, by making it personal ("someone you love") when we're discussing fictional characters.

Second, that's bringing a politically loaded topic (gun control) into a discussion that has nothing to do with gun violence, in an effort to obfuscate, cloud and distract.

Third, it's victim blaming as its worst. So Peter - who, as I read and understood it, fought very hard against Ock but ultimately lost - is to be blamed for Doc Ock victimizing him?! RLLY?! So...since Slott likes adding in emotional hot topics - a person is ultimately responsible when they are raped/murdered? After all, they let the other person gain control of their body and failed to get it back. It can't possibly be Ock's fault - or the fault of the rapist - or the fault of the gun shooter. Oh no. It's the victim's fault for having a "loaded body" and allowing it to happen to them in the first place.

That's just....disgusting.

Fourth, let's say Felicia is, indeed, into victim blaming. THEN THAT SHOULD BE ON THE PAGE. She should have it out with Spider-Man for letting this happen to him. But it's not. Instead, it's "You bwoke my nose! I don't care it's wasn't you, I am 3V!L now!"

And I firmly believe it's not on the page because Slott firmly believes this is all "Spidey's" fault. Which probably also explains why he's writing Peter as a naive moron, blithely accepting all the things Ock did - the company, the Ph.D - without a second thought. He's setting it up so that whatever happens when Parker Industries gets taken away - and it will - it will be all Peter's fault, even though to get there Slott has to write the characters as if they eat idiot balls for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

http://spidermancrawlspace.com/wwwboard/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11018&start=60

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius:

4th Felicia is most definitely NOT into victim blaming. Which makes her actions even more unlikely.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.