STAN LEE reacts to SPIDER-MAN being bi-sexual

#201 Posted by Vance Astro (89666 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

If you like character integrity, don't get into comics. Characters change constantly.

I don't think changing Spider-Man's sexuality would be bad change, though. It would create greater exposure for homosexuality in popular culture, which would hopefully lead to wider acceptance. But, like Billy Batson, I think it's mostly a moot point in terms of how it effects the character. He's still the same beloved, friendly neighborhood spider-man who believes that with great power comes great responsibility. He just likes a guy now instead of a girl. And I take issue with the fact that people object to or are appalled by the idea.

But, it's just a thought-experiment. It's NOT going to happen. Homosexuality hasn't received the level of acceptance in our society where having a bisexual super hero wouldn't hurt box office numbers. And, it's true, Sony wants to make money. If they didn't, they wouldn't have rushed into making Spider-Man in the first place, so soon after the last series.

Characters don't change that much over the years. Spider-Man has been around for a very long time, the general idea of the character is still there or I should say was before Superior Spider-Man, however Otto isn't Peter which is why there is such is a huge difference.

I think changing Spider-Man's sexuality WOULD be a bad change for him, I think you're underestimating the ignorance of the American public.

#202 Posted by Gambit474 (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why Stan Lee is awesome. Spider-man,or Peter Parker rather,has never been gay. If they want a gay spider-man so bad then Marvel should make a new Spider-man and have him be homo..Not take already established characters and change them for no other reason but to satisfy certain audiences because of the "times we live in now." I'm just tired of feeling like the gay lifestyle is being forced into everything nowadays..TV,films,video games,etc.

#203 Posted by CyberWarrior (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

This is s***

#204 Edited by russellmania77 (17119 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how most fking site suffer from paradox of tolerance

#205 Posted by Oscars94 (2986 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: Its not that at all. The character, Spider-Man is straight. Why not make a new character who's bisexual?

#206 Posted by SheenLantern (7409 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94: Well just imagine it's an alternate universe Spider-Man, then. Because god forbid the character evolve at all.

#207 Edited by henrik (597 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole idea is pathetic.

#208 Edited by BallPointHero (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well make Superman bi and have him date transvestite Lex instead of Wondy. For diversity. Character history be d-mned, but hey, at least this way, Superboy will get a natural-birth origin.

#209 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (41762 posts) - - Show Bio

Well isn't this thread full of scum

#210 Posted by BR_Havoc (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: Remember in the comics when it was great and he did evolve got married and was going to have a daughter? Marvel and DC have now made it clear they do not want characters to evolve.

I stand on this side of the fence when topics like this show up being bisexual or gay is not a flip of a switch you do not wake up one day and say you know what I like guys as well as girls there has to be some build up. Since there has never been that for Spidey then it would be silly to make him Bi.

#211 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (41762 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: You realize they were talking about the movie, right?

#212 Posted by HellionVulcan (4392 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm for gay rights & all that but a character shouldn't have to change sexuality for a film or whatever it makes no sense at all .

#213 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (7923 posts) - - Show Bio

@henrik said:

This whole idea is pathetic.

#214 Edited by BR_Havoc (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah I do but with anything involving comics the character can only grow to a certain point before being brought back to square one. So movies or comics its no different.

#215 Posted by Darkseid011 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with stan 100%

#216 Posted by heatblaze123 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't blame him for having old-fashioned views, he is 90 after all.

You don't need to have an "old fashion view" to know it's stupid to change the sexual orientation of a 53 year old character. You liberal scumbag.

#217 Posted by SheenLantern (7409 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatblaze123: Are you implying that a history of heterosexual behaviour precludes oneself from a gay relationship later? That is a woeful display of ignorance on your part, sir.

#218 Posted by BumpyBoo (12713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern said:

You don't need to have an "old fashion view" to know it's stupid to change the sexual orientation of a 53 year old character. You liberal scumbag.

Hey, no need for personal insults just because someone doesn't share your beliefs. Giving this account 24 hours off, feel free to reread the site rules while you're away.

#219 Posted by Cgoodness (11648 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh thank god for Marvel Studios

#220 Edited by DrDaredevil (87 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand where Stan is coming from. Spiderman has never shown to be anything other than straight and changing it is piss poor writing. I'm all for new interesting characters, but if they wanted to make a cool gay character or bi character they need to start from scratch instead of messing up the continuity of pre-existing characters.

#221 Posted by darklordx123 (190 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just not a part of his character. There is no reason to make him gay/bi.

#222 Posted by kiba (99 posts) - - Show Bio

When did this stupidity happen?

#223 Posted by The_Kidd (4479 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol... Wtf?

#224 Posted by Batmanx2005 (945 posts) - - Show Bio
#225 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't see why spider-man can't be bisexual. if anyone can name a reason why he can't other than "he isn't bisexual in the comics" then i'd be glad to hear it.

#226 Posted by SymbioticSpider-Man (3595 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee is completely understandable, I'd say even correct for reacting that way. Peter was born a straight white male, is it wrong to be that? Must every character be Asian lesbian nowadays?

#227 Posted by Rpgesus (4462 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee is Dat n!gga

#228 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@symbioticspider-man we weren't talking about making peter an asian lesbian, but it IS wrong for every character to be a straight white male. thus, a lot of characters that were straight white males are no longer straight white males in updated versions of the stories, and i don't see why they can't do the same thing with peter.

#229 Posted by w0nd (5259 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:
@heatblaze123 said:
@sheenlantern said:

Hey, no need for personal insults just because someone doesn't share your beliefs. Giving this account 24 hours off, feel free to reread the site rules while you're away.

did he even say stan was wrong lol

#230 Edited by heatblaze123 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:
@bumpyboo said:
@heatblaze123 said:
@sheenlantern said:

did he even say stan was wrong lol

Nah, but apparently if you agree with stan you're an illegitimate child with parents that are related to each other. Which is why I responded this way..

#231 Posted by SymbioticSpider-Man (3595 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidermenace: Since when was every Marvel character straight and white? And for those who are, why can't they stay that way? Is there something wrong with being white? The Marvel universe is called a universe for a reason, no need to change established characters for the sake of change, just use others or make others.

#232 Posted by Makhai (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL this is why you think Bumpyboo is the worst mod?

#233 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@symbioticspider-man in the 1960s most if not all of the main heroes were straight and white. and we're not talking about changing an established character in the marvel universe. this is an adaption.

#234 Posted by SymbioticSpider-Man (3595 posts) - - Show Bio

@symbioticspider-man in the 1960s most if not all of the main heroes were straight and white. and we're not talking about changing an established character in the marvel universe. this is an adaption.

First, this isn't the 1960s, and there are plenty of diverse characters out there, you just need to look harder.

Second, just because it's an adaption it doesn't mean they should change so much about Peter. An adaption should be honest to their source material and not force in a gay or black representation as a desperate attempt to promote equalism. A good representation for black people could be Joe Robertson.

#235 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@symbioticspider-man joe robertson is a cool dude but he's not a superhero. and where is the representation for lgbt people in spider-man?

and anyway, i said to give a reason why peter can't be bisexual that isn't "that he is straight in the comics." because that is not a good reason for him to not be bisexual in an adaption. changes can be made. especially small things that don't matter.

it was established in one of the first issues that peter was from forest hills. in the amazing spider-man movie, he clearly was not from forest hills, but did anyone complain? no, because it doesn't matter! this is the same thing.

in fact, it made more sense for him not to be from forest hills because forest hills is now a more upper-class neighborhood and peter is canonically lower-class. so moving peter to a different neighborhood makes sense.the same can be applied to peter's sexuality. peter is canonically a outcast, a kid who is bullied in school. changing peter's sexuality would make sense. because nowadays there isn't really anything outcasty about a straight white male who like science...

#236 Edited by heatblaze123 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidermenace: You're comparing an address change to his sexual orientation? Really? And you say "it doesn't matter", but why make this change in the first place? Peter is known to be a straight white male, why can't he be that? "Why can't he be bisexual", well why can't he be straight? Stan Lee wrote the character to be this. People love and grew up with this version of Spidey. These types of changes are drastic and not needed.

"where is the representation for lgbt people in spider-man?", why Spider-Man? Northstar and Batwoman exist. Why go after a character that is known to be straight and not characters that are created to be gay?

#237 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatblaze123 if peter being straight and white is what you love about him, i think there's something wrong with that. i don't see how changing race or sexual orientation is a drastic change. it doesn't change anything except his race or sexual orientation.

spider-man isn't known for being straight and having only straight characters surrounding him. there should be representation in everything. northstar and batwoman wouldn't be in a spider-man movie.

#238 Posted by MaccyD (6594 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatblaze123 if peter being straight and white is what you love about him, i think there's something wrong with that. i don't see how changing race or sexual orientation is a drastic change. it doesn't change anything except his race or sexual orientation.

spider-man isn't known for being straight and having only straight characters surrounding him. there should be representation in everything. northstar and batwoman wouldn't be in a spider-man movie.

Have you heard of racism and homophobia among other things? That can change a person's psychology and personality among other things if they grew up dealing with that.

#239 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd are you saying peter is the kind of guy who grew up without having to deal with discrimination? if so, i think we read different comics.

also, what "other things" are you talking about?

#240 Edited by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd also, are you saying there are no not straight white people that are like peter?

#241 Posted by TheComicGuy (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Would have been ticked if Spiderman was made bi. Don't have anything against bi or gay people and I'd welcome new bi and gay characters but don't screw with an established character just for equality purposes. Stan Lee was right with his reaction. If I had worked on a character only to have someone do something to him I didn't want done I would make a few phone calls too.

#242 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecomicguy why not change a character for equality purposes? equality is more important than staying completely faithful to the source material.

and tons of changes have been made to original character stan lee created 53 years ago. why would this one matter so much?

#243 Edited by TheComicGuy (13 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were a character who had shown signs of being bi or gay it would be understandable but someone like Spiderman has never shown signs of liking guys. He's been married and has had several girlfriends. People like myself don't like it because it's poor writing and unoriginal to take a clearly straight character and make him bi.

#244 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecomicguy but..spider-man makes comments about liking guys all the time, multiple people have said they thought he was gay, and he has even kissed guys before!

anyway, even if peter WAS clearly straight, that doesn't mean a new version of him couldn't be bi! that's what great about adaptions. you can change things!

#245 Posted by TheComicGuy (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I would be fine if they made him bi in a different dimension but it would just be poor writing to make 616 Spiderman bi.

#246 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@thecomicguy i don't think it would be "poor writing" but i agree that making a different peter parker bi would make more sense.

#247 Posted by SymbioticSpider-Man (3595 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidermenace: So why exactly can't we just create more characters? Sexuality is a big thing for a character, a lot more drastic than changing their address. If Spider-man was gay, then you would have to change Mary Jane into a guy. You already changed two big parts for the mythos. It's like changing Spongebob from yellow to rainbow to appeal to gay people. I mean, it's a relatively small thing, right? So what's the problem?

#248 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@symbioticspider-man so you would rather we didn't have anymore spider-man movies and just had a movie about a new character?

and i didn't say make spider-man gay. i said he could be bi. mary jane could still be a woman, she and peter could still be together, and peter could still be bisexual.

and the only reason i would be against changing mj into a man is that i wouldn't want to lose any more female representation.

changing spongebob to rainbow wouldn't appeal to gay people...that doesn't even make sense...

#249 Posted by heatblaze123 (4093 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidermenace:There is absolutely no point in making Spider-Man bi.

#250 Posted by spidermenace (68 posts) - - Show Bio

@heatblaze123 there's no point in creating media about bisexual people?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.