STAN LEE reacts to SPIDER-MAN being bi-sexual

#201 Posted by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

If you like character integrity, don't get into comics. Characters change constantly.

I don't think changing Spider-Man's sexuality would be bad change, though. It would create greater exposure for homosexuality in popular culture, which would hopefully lead to wider acceptance. But, like Billy Batson, I think it's mostly a moot point in terms of how it effects the character. He's still the same beloved, friendly neighborhood spider-man who believes that with great power comes great responsibility. He just likes a guy now instead of a girl. And I take issue with the fact that people object to or are appalled by the idea.

But, it's just a thought-experiment. It's NOT going to happen. Homosexuality hasn't received the level of acceptance in our society where having a bisexual super hero wouldn't hurt box office numbers. And, it's true, Sony wants to make money. If they didn't, they wouldn't have rushed into making Spider-Man in the first place, so soon after the last series.

Characters don't change that much over the years. Spider-Man has been around for a very long time, the general idea of the character is still there or I should say was before Superior Spider-Man, however Otto isn't Peter which is why there is such is a huge difference.

I think changing Spider-Man's sexuality WOULD be a bad change for him, I think you're underestimating the ignorance of the American public.

#202 Posted by Gambit474 (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why Stan Lee is awesome. Spider-man,or Peter Parker rather,has never been gay. If they want a gay spider-man so bad then Marvel should make a new Spider-man and have him be homo..Not take already established characters and change them for no other reason but to satisfy certain audiences because of the "times we live in now." I'm just tired of feeling like the gay lifestyle is being forced into everything nowadays..TV,films,video games,etc.

#203 Posted by CyberWarrior (1538 posts) - - Show Bio

This is s***

#204 Edited by russellmania77 (15272 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how most fking site suffer from paradox of tolerance

#205 Posted by Oscars94 (2507 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: Its not that at all. The character, Spider-Man is straight. Why not make a new character who's bisexual?

#206 Posted by SheenLantern (6627 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94: Well just imagine it's an alternate universe Spider-Man, then. Because god forbid the character evolve at all.

#207 Edited by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

This whole idea is pathetic.

#208 Edited by BallPointHero (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well make Superman bi and have him date transvestite Lex instead of Wondy. For diversity. Character history be d-mned, but hey, at least this way, Superboy will get a natural-birth origin.

#209 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio

Well isn't this thread full of scum

#210 Posted by BR_Havoc (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern: Remember in the comics when it was great and he did evolve got married and was going to have a daughter? Marvel and DC have now made it clear they do not want characters to evolve.

I stand on this side of the fence when topics like this show up being bisexual or gay is not a flip of a switch you do not wake up one day and say you know what I like guys as well as girls there has to be some build up. Since there has never been that for Spidey then it would be silly to make him Bi.

#211 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: You realize they were talking about the movie, right?

#212 Posted by HellionVulcan (3767 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm for gay rights & all that but a character shouldn't have to change sexuality for a film or whatever it makes no sense at all .

#213 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (5465 posts) - - Show Bio

@henrik said:

This whole idea is pathetic.

#214 Edited by BR_Havoc (1291 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah I do but with anything involving comics the character can only grow to a certain point before being brought back to square one. So movies or comics its no different.

#215 Posted by Darkseid011 (109 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree with stan 100%

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.