Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Stan Lee Comments on Donald Glover as Spider-Man

• 84 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
         The photoshop jobs that fans have been doing for this have been pretty well done.
     The photoshop jobs that fans have been doing for this have been pretty well done.

Jamie Bell might be in talks to play Spider-Man for the new reboot, but it’s Donald Glover who’s really gotten the most attention of any actor vying for the role. His fan campaign for an audition certainly got a heated discussion going in Comic Vine’s community, didn’t it? It was really only a matter of time before Stan Lee would have to comment on the matter. And comment he did, calling MTV’s Splash Page blog to specifically talk about the prospect of Mr. Glover playing Spidey.  

You can hear Stan’s statement below, but here are some choice quotes for those living outside the US...

“…as far as I'm concerned ... anybody should have a chance to audition for the role. I certainly think [Donald Glover] should have a chance to audition. We've already had the Kingpin in 'Daredevil' portrayed by a black man, where he was white in the comics, [and] we've had Nick Fury portrayed by a black man where he was white in the comics… But not that many people had seen these characters — not that many moviegoers are familiar with them. Everybody seems to be familiar with Spider-Man, so I say that it isn't that it's a racial issue — it's just that it might be confusing to people… but that's a matter for the people at Marvel to take into consideration. I certainly don't want to weigh in on it in any way, except to say I think [Glover] is a fine actor."

Stan stressed that he’s not presuming to tell Marvel how they handle anything with these movies, as he’s been very pleased with how Spider-Man done on screen. I’m not sure how directly attached Stan is to Marvel these days, anyway, let alone Sony. He’s been “Chairman Emeritus” for years now, which I’ve always understood as being more of an honorary title than anything. I’m sure he’s already too busy with his five hundred (or so) POW! Entertainment projects.  == TEASER ==

Still, he felt compelled to comment on this discussion since he received so many questions about it from his Twitter followers. The Facebook group for this might have close to 12,000 members, but Twitter’s really been the arena for this discussion. The whole thing started with the #donald4spiderman trending topic so it's not surprising that Glover tweeted in response to Stan’s statement.

@MrDonaldGlover: If you'd told me Stan Lee would one day be talkin about me in Spider-Man,it wouldn't have happened cause I would have died happy right then

Sure enough, Stan isn’t the only Spidey writer to comment on this. Bendis has joined in, as well.

@BRIANMBENDIS: i support this!! RT @ chrischuang: Hey @ BRIANMBENDIS, @ mrdonaldglover wants to be spider-man! #donald4spiderman

So certainly a lot of discussion over something something Glover probably started with tongue in  cheek. Regardless, like I’ve said, this has done wonders to raise the guy’s profile. I’ve never heard of him before this and now I want to check out the Junior Detectives MYSTERY TEAM movie he did - - it looks hilarious. 

Anyway, as I promised, here's the audio of Stan's statement. 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I caught this sometime last night and agree with Stan. Glover isn't a bad actor, he's actually what would seem a pretty cool guy...but he's just not Spider-Man. But...am I the only person that never understand who said what when it comes to Twitter comments?

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#2  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I'm African American, and I think Spider man should be white. But I'm not saying that Donald Glover wouldn't play a good Spider man. I think he should have the chance. I like Glover.

There's still that Static Shock thought tho lol.

RiceFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RiceFox

Ah! I'd definitely go see that movie!
    That'd be too awesome!

RaydelFugeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaydelFugeo

I am okay with Donald Glover being Spider-Man. I don't know if he would be a good one, but i am complete okay with a non-white person being Peter Parker. Spidey has inspired countless nerd/kids/fans from all races and nationalities. We all can see ourselves as the webslinger, he is awkward, witty, charming, geeky, smart, and most importantly he doesn't compromise himself for others. Peter Parker is who is he is, and who he will be. If Peter were of Arab densest for example, I still know that i could identify with him. Peter Parker, Spider-Man, and almost every hero is an idea rather than a person. The mask makes them almost inhuman in most cases,  and that allows all of us to feel like we can be the one behind the mask regardless of race. Superheroes greatest appeal for the most part is letting anyone connect with them personal and ideologically.

ManuelPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ManuelPrez

I think spideman must stay true to his roots.  

there some other black character that must have the transition like static shock

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EisforExtinction

I think even people that don't think he should play Spider-Man can at least let him the opportunity audition. I hope he gets it though.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By HaloKing343

no
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @EisforExtinction said:
    " I think even people that don't think he should play Spider-Man can at least let him the opportunity audition. I hope he gets it though. "
    But I can't see that being anything but a waste of time. He's not going to get it, so why audition?
    Azareus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Azareus

I think a good actor has to play spidey this time. I dont care about races, but in my opinion Glover isn't a good one.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By goldenkey

The way I look at it is that in the comics, the ones who don't know spider-man don't know if he's black or white anyway so what does it matter.  I don't know any of these other actors out there that are up for the role, I do know one thing, I don't go to see Spider-man to see Peter Parker.  I don't read Spider-man or other comics with Spiderman in them to read Peter Parker.  You put a spider-man costume on Donald Glover and he's gonna do a good job.  Sure the Spiderman is Peter Parker and people love him I get this, but if it was just a comic on Peter Parker it wouldn't sell shit.  There would be a few die hard fanboys and some inquizitve people who would by this, but it wouldn't be a huge money maker or make any kind of TOP SELLING lists.  People wouldn't go see Peter Parker the Movie.  If Donald Glover played Peter Parker with a similar portrayal as he does Troy in Community, (humor not stupidity) he would be great as Peter Parker no matter what his skin color was.  He has a mask that cover his whole face.  It's not like a black Superman or Batman.  It's a lot easier to switch the races when it comes to Spiderman.  Think of the free marketing it is too.  The hype it would bring.   Non-comic readers I know already wonder why they are re-booting the franchise anyway when it didn't need to be done so they are skeptical on if they want to see it at all.  The movie is gonna have to be one hell of a movie to do any good because Spiderman 3 was bad enough that if the new Spiderman is not good it's gonna bomb.  It'll have a good opening weekend, thats automatic but after that it's all down hill if it sucks.  If it's a good movie then it wouldn't matter if Glover is in it anyway.  If it's good work of mouth will sell it, and if Glover is in it, then it's gonna do bigger cuz people are gonna want to see it just because Spiderman is a black guy.  Just make a good movie that's the important thing.  Not Twilight with web shooters.
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheBug
    @HaloKing343 said:
    "no "

Why not?
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dondasch

Has there been any news of when the Spider Man role is expected to be cast?

brewski420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 123

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By brewski420

ugh

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Adam Michaels

Why is it always about race? Why do people put themselves through this argument?  

If Peter Parker is identifiable by people of all races and cultures, then why even go through this whole ordeal? If Parker remains white as he's been his entire near 50-year existance, is he not still relatable to everyone regardless of skin color or race? It makes all of this pretty much a waste of time and something for everyone to talk about. And I'm guilty as charged.

buns134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By buns134

How about a white guy playing Black Panther or Luke Cage then people would all get pissy about race and have some march
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Moomin123

Stan may be the man, but when he said that Nick Fury is a black man in the films but a white man in the comics, that can be contradicted because the Ultimate Nick Fury is black. 
    Anyway, despite what people say, I think Jamie Bell should be Spidey, not that I'm against Glover for being African-American, but I think that Bell would be better suited for the role.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Give this kid a Static movie and tell him to shut up.

mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By mrrpm01

why not just say that since comics are always open to interpretation movies should be the same

wolf_party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wolf_party

personally, I wouldn't have a problem with them inventing an entirely new, specifically African American character to be the new Spider-Man. It doesn't have to be Peter Parker under that mask. However, taking a specifically white character and making him non-white for a movie just because the option is available does seem a little lazy. It's gonna be tough to find any actor who resembles the role as much as Tobey Maguire did so why not just let someone new be Spider-Man? 

I realize that, in trying to adapt their comics to modern film and make it work, the industry is having a tough time dealing with the fact that DC and Marvel have made  their major characters almost exclusively white from the get-go. Some changes obviously had to be made in order to reflect reality (hence, Nick Fury has become a black man in all non-comic book media lately - which I find totally awesome, made his character better and gave him more dimensions.). However, it seems that the more respectful thing to do, other than just turning every white pre-existing character into a new race, would be to create new characters who aren't white and give them the same amount of creative effort and attention  that the white one's get.  

So  Peter Parker should probably stay white, but Spider-Man shouldn't have to. If Danny gets the role, great. I'm sure he'll make a badass Spider-Man. But I have to say he'll be a less convincing Peter Parker. Why? Because he's African American. That's not racist, it's just reality. Peter Parker is white.  

The real problem here is the lack of major characters and superheroes in the DC/Marvel universes who are not white. Let's change that, instead of changing the characters. 

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I want to see Stan Lee cameo as the Hypno Hustler

Azareus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azareus

Seriously, what about a good actor?

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @goldenkey said:
    " The way I look at it is that in the comics, the ones who don't know spider-man don't know if he's black or white anyway so what does it matter.  I don't know any of these other actors out there that are up for the role, I do know one thing, I don't go to see Spider-man to see Peter Parker.  I don't read Spider-man or other comics with Spiderman in them to read Peter Parker.  You put a spider-man costume on Donald Glover and he's gonna do a good job.  Sure the Spiderman is Peter Parker and people love him I get this, but if it was just a comic on Peter Parker it wouldn't sell shit.  There would be a few die hard fanboys and some inquizitve people who would by this, but it wouldn't be a huge money maker or make any kind of TOP SELLING lists.  People wouldn't go see Peter Parker the Movie.  If Donald Glover played Peter Parker with a similar portrayal as he does Troy in Community, (humor not stupidity) he would be great as Peter Parker no matter what his skin color was.  He has a mask that cover his whole face.  It's not like a black Superman or Batman.  It's a lot easier to switch the races when it comes to Spiderman.  Think of the free marketing it is too.  The hype it would bring.   Non-comic readers I know already wonder why they are re-booting the franchise anyway when it didn't need to be done so they are skeptical on if they want to see it at all.  The movie is gonna have to be one hell of a movie to do any good because Spiderman 3 was bad enough that if the new Spiderman is not good it's gonna bomb.  It'll have a good opening weekend, thats automatic but after that it's all down hill if it sucks.  If it's a good movie then it wouldn't matter if Glover is in it anyway.  If it's good work of mouth will sell it, and if Glover is in it, then it's gonna do bigger cuz people are gonna want to see it just because Spiderman is a black guy.  Just make a good movie that's the important thing.  Not Twilight with web shooters. "
    Marvel's always sold comics not only on the strength of the superhero character but the secret identity too.
    If a Spidey comic was released with no Pete it'd flop.
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @EisforExtinction said:
    " I think even people that don't think he should play Spider-Man can at least let him the opportunity audition. I hope he gets it though. "
    But I can't see that being anything but a waste of time. He's not going to get it, so why audition? "
    Because maybe he's so good they cast him. If not, nobody can say that he didn't have the opportunity.
    Avatar image for supermanofste_el
    supermanofste-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By supermanofste-el

How many black superheroes have an ongoing series now? O wait, they were canceled. How about getting black writers and artists to create their own successful black superheros instead of trying to steal the white ones.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mbecks14

i agree with Stan Lee. it'd just be confusing

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @Moomin123 said:
    " Stan may be the man, but when he said that Nick Fury is a black man in the films but a white man in the comics, that can be contradicted because the Ultimate Nick Fury is black. Anyway, despite what people say, I think Jamie Bell should be Spidey, not that I'm against Glover for being African-American, but I think that Bell would be better suited for the role. "
    Stans the man because he doesn't give a f*ck about the Ultimate Universe.
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @EisforExtinction said:
    " @MysterioMaximus said:
    But I can't see that being anything but a waste of time. He's not going to get it, so why audition? "
    Because maybe he's so good they cast him. If not, nobody can say that he didn't have the opportunity. "
    But I just can't see it every happening because any half-brained production company must realize that if a black Spider-Man is cast, no matter how good the actor, it'll cut your sales in half. People won't go in droves to see it. In fact, I could see comic nerds flat out petitioning against it. Whether you agree or not, it'll happen nonetheless, hence he won't happen. Ever! I stand by that...
    darkxman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkxman123

does stan not know about ultimate fury 

Day Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Day Hunter
    @Duo_forbidden:  That would be cool, I like the guy but I just don't think I could see him as Spidey but dude I used to love Static Shock. Marvel should make a SS movie, that would be BA!
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @supermanofste-el said:
    " How many black superheroes have an ongoing series now? O wait, they were canceled. How about getting black writers and artists to create their own successful black superheros instead of trying to steal the white ones. "
    Oh wait! Milestone comics were cnacled too.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Comiclove5
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icon

Stan Lee is so diplomatic. Gotta love him. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Day Hunter: if marvel made static shock dc would sue the hell out of them
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aquamariner

I love the way everyone's comments avoid the big elephant in the room. The reason why this kid can't be Spidey is simple: HE'S BLACK!!! ... There, I said it! 

Jeez, what's next? Ryan Phillipe playing Blade?!

cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cadaver

Heh. Marvel and their racial casting for movies. Wish comic vine talked less about movies and more about comics...

EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @MysterioMaximus said:
    Because maybe he's so good they cast him. If not, nobody can say that he didn't have the opportunity. "
    But I just can't see it every happening because any half-brained production company must realize that if a black Spider-Man is cast, no matter how good the actor, it'll cut your sales in half. People won't go in droves to see it. In fact, I could see comic nerds flat out petitioning against it. Whether you agree or not, it'll happen nonetheless, hence he won't happen. Ever! I stand by that... "
    Well you're wrong then because I haven't seen the last two Spider-Man movies but if Donald Glover was cast I'd go see it. Another way to cut your sales in half is to never take chances and rehash the same story over and over. 

If he doesn't get an audition he has no chance at all. If he does he at least has a small chance. Maybe one of the producers decides not to remake the same BS again. Maybe he auditions and he's terrible. But at least I can hope he gets it.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Glover acts the way you expect Peter/Spider-Man to act.  Full of energy and excitement, very funny too.  Tobey was too stiff, he was loosening up over the coarse of the three movies, but he was never a great Spider-Man in how you would expect him to act.
    I am not sure if Glover could act in a big movie starring him, but he does a fine job on Community.  I think he should be given a chance to audition.  My only real concern is that he is 27.  Should they be looking at younger actors?

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

#38  Edited By Duo_forbidden
    @Day Hunter:  Well actually, Static is part of DC comics, but you get my point. To me, Static is similar to Spider man in the sense that they're both funny, and try to do what's right.  I could see Glover as Static. 
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @EisforExtinction said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:
    But I just can't see it every happening because any half-brained production company must realize that if a black Spider-Man is cast, no matter how good the actor, it'll cut your sales in half. People won't go in droves to see it. In fact, I could see comic nerds flat out petitioning against it. Whether you agree or not, it'll happen nonetheless, hence he won't happen. Ever! I stand by that... "
    Well you're wrong then because I haven't seen the last two Spider-Man movies but if Donald Glover was cast I'd go see it. Another way to cut your sales in half is to never take chances and rehash the same story over and over.   If he doesn't get an audition he has no chance at all. If he does he at least has a small chance. Maybe one of the producers decides not to remake the same BS again. Maybe he auditions and he's terrible. But at least I can hope he gets it. "
    You know I'm wrong...how? You're one man, that makes on one seat of millions. You're a minority! There is no chance that a black Spider-Man would make as much money as a white. Comic fans would be in an uproar, and true perhaps you and some others wouldn't be...but there are always exceptions. Do you think the first Spider-Man movie was the first time the origin was recycled? For that matter, did you think it would be the last? It's timeless, it'll be re-made numerous times and it'll make money every single time so long as it's done respectfully to the source material. I think saying he has a small chance is being...well...remarkably generous.
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yumulu

The comments in this thread seems awfully familiar... @buns134 said:

" How about a white guy playing Black Panther or Luke Cage then people would all get pissy about race and have some march "
    Oh well that original -.-
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @MysterioMaximus said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:
    Well you're wrong then because I haven't seen the last two Spider-Man movies but if Donald Glover was cast I'd go see it. Another way to cut your sales in half is to never take chances and rehash the same story over and over.   If he doesn't get an audition he has no chance at all. If he does he at least has a small chance. Maybe one of the producers decides not to remake the same BS again. Maybe he auditions and he's terrible. But at least I can hope he gets it. "
    You know I'm wrong...how? You're one man, that makes on one seat of millions. You're a minority! There is no chance that a black Spider-Man would make as much money as a white. Comic fans would be in an uproar, and true perhaps you and some others wouldn't be...but there are always exceptions. Do you think the first Spider-Man movie was the first time the origin was recycled? For that matter, did you think it would be the last? It's timeless, it'll be re-made numerous times and it'll make money every single time so long as it's done respectfully to the source material. I think saying he has a small chance is being...well...remarkably generous. "

Well from the looks of that twitter tag there are a lot of people in that minority. Stan Lee thinks he should get an audition even. Maybe it wouldn't make as much money but if he did get an audition, and he got it, and they made the movie then that would making something interesting and different.

And if they're going to remake it so much why not try something different with this one. Like you said they're going to keep making it.
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @EisforExtinction said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:

" @MysterioMaximus said:
    You know I'm wrong...how? You're one man, that makes on one seat of millions. You're a minority! There is no chance that a black Spider-Man would make as much money as a white. Comic fans would be in an uproar, and true perhaps you and some others wouldn't be...but there are always exceptions. Do you think the first Spider-Man movie was the first time the origin was recycled? For that matter, did you think it would be the last? It's timeless, it'll be re-made numerous times and it'll make money every single time so long as it's done respectfully to the source material. I think saying he has a small chance is being...well...remarkably generous. "
    Well from the looks of that twitter tag there are a lot of people in that minority. Stan Lee thinks he should get an audition even. Maybe it wouldn't make as much money but if he did get an audition, and he got it, and they made the movie then that would making something interesting and different.  And if they're going to remake it so much why not try something different with this one. Like you said they're going to keep making it. "
     Of course there are a lot of people, it's big news. But it's likely a minority nonetheless and I can't help but wonder how many of those are Glover fans and not Spider-Man fans. A lot of people doesn't mean all the people or even really all that many. It's all relative, right? There are a lot of people that like the Star Wars prequels, there are arguably more than don't. Takes all types, right? See different is fine with me...to a degree. I just personally think having a black Peter Parker departs too much. While I wouldn't be in in arms if it did happen, I can completely see people being up in arms about it. But to each their own is a wonderful way to live, so agree to disagree, my friend? =] 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By InnerVenom123

No to Glover, please.

EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EisforExtinction
    @MysterioMaximus: Yeah man, no disrespect to you. You should like what you want to like and not have to apologize. I just want to represent my opinion.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45  Edited By sora_thekey

I think the jokes would come across better...

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DarkSyde79

This’ll happen when The Last Airbender actually has casting reflective of the cartoon!!! :oP 

MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @EisforExtinction said:
    " @MysterioMaximus: Yeah man, no disrespect to you. You should like what you want to like and not have to apologize. I just want to represent my opinion. "
    Oh no, don't apologize. Nothing to be sorry for, I love listening to differing opinions. It's really interesting. I mean, if we all agreed, life would be awful boring, right? =]
    jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jamdown

He is a good actor but i will agree with stan lee that he will not be recognized
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Adam Michaels

I respectfully disagree with anyone who says that a black Peter Parker would be something different. All that will be different is his skin color. Nothing else would change because the character will still be a nerd, be picked on by bullies, and be bitten by a radioactive spider. His parents will still be dead, his uncle Ben shot, his aunt May and he left alone, his girl issues with Mary Jane, his boss will still be a jerk, and the super-villains will still be the same ones he's always faced.  

So really, the ONLY thing that will be different will be Peter Parker's skin color. And since skin color shouldn't be an issue here (due to Peter not being a character driven by ethnicity, but by morality), why even make a whole deal out of the skin color in the first place? 

Kingpin being portrayed by a black actor was not an issue because Wilson Fisk is not an iconic character such as Spidey. He's only known by the comic fans, whereas Spidey is a worldwide famous character. Changing Kingpin has nothing on changing Spidey. 

As for Nick Fury, before they turned him black for the films and anything animated in recent years, he had several years as an African American in the Ultimates. So the comic book world was already accustomed to a black Fury. It wasn't some drastic change on Marvel Studios' part to cast a black actor for the sake of casting a black actor. There was a preexisting black Nick Fury for years already. And one who was widely praised and critically acclaimed. So that was an easy transition. One met with zero resistance from audiences both comic and non-comic based.  

Even Alicia Masters was an African American woman (a very beautiful one at that) in the FF films, where she was a white woman all her existance since 1962. Nobody argued that because it wasn't any of the main characters. Making any of the FF members black would have been a whole different story because they are the big world-famous characters. And when it comes to iconic characters in literature, you can't go around changing things for the sake of it.

I don't think it's a question of turning white supderheroes black. It's a case of Marvel (or DC) deciding to make movies based on other characters. They've got a list of some awesome minority characters who I believe would do great in a movie: Luke Cage, Black Panther, Shang-Chi, Blade (already done but still awesome),  Cloak of Cloak and Dagger, among others.

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blackestnight1

I just someone more in shape would play the role.  Spiderman is a big guy. Maybe not as big as Superman or Hulk or anything like that but much bigger than these little dorks trying to get his part.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.