Spidey Tech: Yay or Nay?

#1 Posted by Replicant0658 (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Throughout the past 50 years, Spider-man has gone toe-to-toe with perhaps the most fiercest and colorful rogues gallery out there, and while victory is usually in his favor, every now and then Spidey comes across a foe that is just too powerful for him to handle alone and as such has to rely on Spider-based tech of his own design to bail him out. With his new job at Horizon Labs, Spidey has continued to up his arsenal more frequently than before as witnessed in ASM #681 with his magnetic webbing, his controversal "Spider-Glider" from ASM #682, or his new suit showcased in "Ends of the Earth" which is tailored with numerous gadgets and gizmos specifically designed to take down each member of the Sinister Six. The point is, Spidey has used Spider-based tech before and continues to do so today.

My reason for writing this is because I remember when the Ultimate Spider-man tv show was first announced, everyone was quick to attack the fact that Spidey was going to be using Spider-tech in the series, such as his "Spider-cycle" and his advanced web-shooter. Now I'm not posing the argument of whether Ultimate Spider-man is a good show or not (its not, it is a horrible, horrible show and must be DESTROYED!!!), but rather given the fact that Spider-man has been using tech since his inception 50 years ago, why was everyone so quick to bash his reliance on tech in the new show? With him being trained by SHIELD, I would have thought it would make perfect sense that they would want to arm him better if he was to be in their employ? Was it the issue of him using tech or merely the context in which it was used? Or was it the fact that in the show his tech comes from a two armed, SHIELD employed Dr. Conners (which I am STILL not ok with by the way!)?

Personally, I have no problem with Spider-man using spider-based technology as I feel it justifies all the various different action figures out there such as "Scuba-gear Spidey" and also gives us some brand new suits to marvel at in the comics (such as the new EotE one currently in the comics), just so long as they don't get carried away like Joel Schumacher did in Batman and Robin. If the core of the character remains intact and so long as the tech makes sense to the story being told, by all means use all the Spider-tech you want.

What do you think? Should Spidey use tech?

#2 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

because a Spider-Cycle is just as dumb of an idea as a Spider-Mobile

#3 Posted by Strider92 (16286 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Spidey should use tech but they should try and keep it at a certain level.

For example having a new suit from time to time and upgrading his webshooters I could get on board with that as it would give Peter a chance to show his smart side but using a glider or spider-cycle? No that just doesn't look right and seems pretty unnecessary (and a tad on the silly side).

#4 Posted by Replicant0658 (85 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: @danhimself: I totally agree with both of you, I never saw the point of having a spider-based vehicle, especially when you can web-zip through the city. I guess to give it some credit, at least Ultimate Spidey tried to justify the reason why he would need to use a spider-cycle, but at the end of the day it just felt out of place (Can't believe I just commended that show for something... who am I...?).

#5 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@Replicant0658 said:

@Strider92: @danhimself: I totally agree with both of you, I never saw the point of having a spider-based vehicle, especially when you can web-zip through the city. I guess to give it some credit, at least Ultimate Spidey tried to justify the reason why he would need to use a spider-cycle, but at the end of the day it just felt out of place (Can't believe I just commended that show for something... who am I...?).

Merchandising.

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm love it. Even the spider-glider.

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12974 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant I love it. Not I'm love it. My apologies.

#8 Posted by Agiyosi (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I love all the Spidey tech. Parker's a genius, maybe not at Reed's or Pym's level, but he's up there. It'd be bad writing to take a character as intelligent, creative, and resourceful as Spider-Man and not have him utilize such tech.

Now the Spider-Cycle and all that is pure rubbish, but I'm totally game for seeing more gadgets and tech used in Spider-Man. Think Batman-lite.

#9 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I say yes to Spidey tech. I think he would later give the spider glider to his daughter as training wheels. I got an make the spider glider transform to a robot spider. O really want to see robot spider. The gliding mode from Stark Tech Spider-man was a great idea. The most ridiculous was the spider mech from metamorphs.

#10 Posted by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

I agree Spidey should use tech but they should try and keep it at a certain level.

For example having a new suit from time to time and upgrading his webshooters I could get on board with that as it would give Peter a chance to show his smart side but using a glider or spider-cycle? No that just doesn't look right and seems pretty unnecessary (and a tad on the silly side).

Pretty much this.

#11 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

Not just his tech but the fact that he has a flexible yet well paying job is refreshing as well. One of the positive things that came out of One More Day/Brand New Day. Though I agree that they shouldn't take it too far, a glider or a car doesn't match his web slinger shtick. It's like Superman with a parachute (boot legged toy).

#12 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

It's part of who spider-man is so yay... but the spider-mobile is a nono

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

nay

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33051 posts) - - Show Bio

nay

#15 Posted by ExtraLarge (243 posts) - - Show Bio

What's wrong with having a vehicle? Sometimes there are places Spidey needs to go that don't have tall buildings to swing from. Batman swings around the city too, but nobody complains about HIS fleet of vehicles.

#16 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay because it reminds people that spider-man is a genius

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Most fiercest is terrible grammar you don't need the word most if the word ends in EST not a grammar nazi but its first grade basics learn to write people

#18 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6450 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering his webbing is an artificial invention, and he's a rocket-scientist level genius, yay to the max. But no Spider-Mobile. Reminds me too much of the Superhero Squad. Ick.

#19 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Just the webshooters. I like him being just a street kind of hero.

#20 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@soduh2 said:

Not just his tech but the fact that he has a flexible yet well paying job is refreshing as well. One of the positive things that came out of One More Day/Brand New Day. Though I agree that they shouldn't take it too far, a glider or a car doesn't match his web slinger shtick. It's like Superman with a parachute (boot legged toy).

#21 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

He is a genius, so that entitles him to use what he can to take down the big guys.

#22 Posted by beggar (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that he's using more tech, but only to a certain extent (not sure about the glider). I hope they keep allowing Peter's science skills to shine.

#23 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

If Spider-Man uses too much Spider-Tech he becomes BATMAN. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.