Spidey Speed

#1 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Spiderman ranked above Silver Surfer, Northstar, Supergirl, Superman, Ion, Wonder Woman and Apollo in the speed category? (There are some others but these stood out.)
Post Edited:2006-12-18 03:55:15

#2 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Character popularity. I wouldn't go to the ranks for accurate power levels.

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't expect them to be accurate, but not this wrong. Superman???

#4 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least people know that he should be SOMEWHERE near the top. Personally Batman even being in the top 20 most "powerful" characters offends me, much less the top 3.

#5 Posted by Valiant Paladin (36 posts) - - Show Bio

ScoodleDaddle says:

"Well, at least people know that he should be SOMEWHERE near the top. Personally Batman even being in the top 20 most "powerful" characters offends me, much less the top 3."

since the question that determines most powerful is who would win in a fight, and batman can beat superman easily, it really makes sense. but there are a lot of people he can't beat, that superman can. top 3, is a little bit inaccurate, but I think Bruce Wayne, with any sort of planning whatsoever, could easily make the top 20.

#6 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

See, people overestimate Batman. He's never actually beaten Superman, and when he's come close it's because Superman was admittedly holding back, and Batman knew it. In Hush, Bats knew that if Superman wasn't holding himself back from Poison Ivy's mind control, then he'd be dead in an instant. Also, Dark Knight Returns is out of continuity, and Frank Miller is raving madman/Batman fanboy, so I'd take his opinion on the matter with a grain of salt.

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope my second post didn't cause confusion. When I said "Superman???" I was still talking about Spiderman being faster than him, not the Most Powerful rankings.

#8 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine was sort of a generic statement, saying that he should be somewhere near the top of both rankings.

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, then I was the one confused. I thought you meant Spiderman should be somewhere near the top of speed (above the people I mentioned). My fault.

#10 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

No problem.

#11 Posted by Datura (21 posts) - - Show Bio

ScoodleDaddle says:

"See, people overestimate Batman. He's never actually beaten Superman, and when he's come close it's because Superman was admittedly holding back, and Batman knew it. In Hush, Bats knew that if Superman wasn't holding himself back from Poison Ivy's mind control, then he'd be dead in an instant. Also, Dark Knight Returns is out of continuity, and Frank Miller is raving madman/Batman fanboy, so I'd take his opinion on the matter with a grain of salt."

I really don't think it is overestimating that says Batman could beat anyone with a plan. Just because Batman hasn't beaten Superman before (and I actually doubt that is true given how often those two fight) doesn't mean he couldn't do it. The two are friends after all. Now, without planning there are plenty of people who could kick Batman's ass is seconds flat. But I'm an admitted Batman fanboy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

As for the Spider-Man speed issue, maybe it would be best to replace his "Speed" power with "Enhanced Reflexes," which is closer to what Spidey has. This would also apply to characters such as Wolverine and Captain America, whose reflexes are above and beyond the capabilities of normal human beings.

#12 Posted by ScoodleDaddle (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Datura says:

I really don't think it is overestimating that says Batman could beat anyone with a plan. Just because Batman hasn't beaten Superman before (and I actually doubt that is true given how often those two fight) doesn't mean he couldn't do it. The two are friends after all. Now, without planning there are plenty of people who could kick Batman's ass is seconds flat. But I'm an admitted Batman fanboy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

They've actually only "fought" in-continuity maybe 2 or 3 times. Superman was almost always being mind-controlled, so was being quite ruthless. Batman, every time, came within inches of losing his life, and has admitted that he'd have been dead sooner had Superman not been holding back. Even with a punch with a kryptonite ring, Superman didn't even slow down.

What it comes down to is that Batman, while certainly being incredibly smart and resourceful, would be up against a guy who is JUST as resourceful, and several orders of magnitude more powerful.

#13 Posted by Buckshot (18913 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#14 Posted by valinorbob (52 posts) - - Show Bio

There is an Agility power to cover super reflexes, Speed refers to being able to travel at great speed by some means (running, jumping, flying, swimming, etc).

And the truth is that Batman would only have a chance against most super heroes/villains if he had prior knowledge of their powers and time to plan for a fight with them, he's just not tough enough to take the first shot from most people and still be able to fight back. Part of the problem with the rankings here is that it's more of a popularity contest than anything else. The Batman fans are going to vote for Batman no matter what, and the Superman fans are going to vote for Superman no matter what, and so on and so forth. There's no good way to do a vs rating system without popularity coming into play.

#15 Posted by Datura (21 posts) - - Show Bio

valinorbob says:

"And the truth is that Batman would only have a chance against most super heroes/villains if he had prior knowledge of their powers and time to plan for a fight with them..."

That would count as Batman "using all of his powers" as being a master strategist is one of his key abilities. And not all the Batman fans are voting for him in everything. Some of us actually think it out.

And I'm just going to remove "speed" from the Spider-Man profile because he really does not have it as it is intended on this site.

And what on earth is "Radiation" supposed to mean? Since when can Spidey give someone radiation poisoning?

#16 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Speed removed from spider-man. Hence the debate ends! Valionorbob has the correct assumptions.

Staff
#17 Posted by TimeKeeper (1222 posts) - - Show Bio

Well put, ValinorBob!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.