Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spidey Actor Talks Spider-Man Reboot!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    I'm sure the lot of you remember when we announced that actor Andrew Garfield would be playing the role of Peter Parker in Fox's upcoming Spider-Man reboot, right? 

Since the announcement was relatively recent- July 1st- I really didn't anticipate that we would hear anything about the film or his experience playing Parker for a long time...but I was wrong! Over the weekend THR caught up with Garfield to discuss his upcoming role in Never Let Me Go, and they managed to squeeze in a few questions about Spider-Man! Garfield discusses everything from whether or not he has been preparing for the role of Spidey, to how he has been waiting to hear that Fox wants him to play the famous web-slinger his entire life. Personally, I found his responses to the interview questions rather endearing, but I would love to hear what die-hard Spidey fans have to say about Fox's choice!   
     == TEASER ==

Have you been prepping for Spider-Man? 
    I have been waiting for this phone call for 24 years, for someone to call me up and say, "Hey, we want you to pretend to be a character that you’ve always wanted to be all your life, and we’re going to do it with cool cameras and cool effects and you’re going to feel like you’re swinging through New York City. Do you want to do that?" [laughs] “Let me just consult with my seven-year old self and see what he thinks...” So my seven-year-old self started screaming in my soul and saying, This is what we’ve been waiting for. Like every young boy who feels stronger on the inside than they look on the outside, any skinny boy basically who wishes their muscles matched their sense of injustice, God, it’s just the stuff that dreams are made of, for sure. It’s a true fucking honor to be part of this symbol that I actually think is a very important symbol and it’s meant a great deal to me, and it continues to mean something to people. So yeah, I feel like I’ve been preparing for it for a while. Ever since Halloween when I was four years old and I wore my first Spider-Man costume.

What's your approach to wrapping your brain around the coming shift in terms of your increased visibility with Spider-Man? 
    Not to give it credence, not to give it any of my energy. Just approach it like any other job that I care about deeply. That may be naïve of me to think that I can just get away with that. But if you give focus to something, it will grow. I just want to be an actor, really. And of course all those things came into consideration when I was making the decision. But at the end of the day, I had faith that I would be able to not be defined by it. And I still have faith that I will be able to get lost in roles and just keep doing what I love to do.

Best part of the interview? He's a fan. I think you guys would probably agree with me when I say that as a comic fan and avid reader, I always feel a bit more at ease when the actor signed on to portray the character I grew up reading in my comics, has an affection for him. According to Garfield, it was always his dream to play Spider-Man, which is awesome. I only hope his excitement isn't only because of the fat check he'll be getting for the role. What do you guys think? Are you looking forward to the upcoming film? Are you as surprised as I am that Garfield discussed the role so soon after the announcement? Do you think he's the right guy to play Peter Parker?
    amc26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By amc26

I can't wait for the film

DannoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DannoMan

I hope this Spidey movie is more like the original comics.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm glad he's a fan of the character. It means he's more hesitant about playing the role than most...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain13

Every actor is a "fan"...

But I do wish Garfield good luck.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @DannoMan said:
    " I hope this Spidey movie is more like the original comics. "
    Me, too.
    DKRider93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DKRider93

He seems to be speaking with absolute sincerity, a little too much passion for it to be a lie so I bet he can probably turn in a pretty good performance. Now if only the direction and writing is as passionate (and hopefully the narrative based on something from the Ultimate universe.)

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By Dracade102

He looks pretty promising...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Good luck to him

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I really can't wait to see who will be his co stars in this movie 

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By -Eclipse-

Unlike most of the actors in comic book movies who insist they are fans, he seems genuine here. I'll bet he'd even show a few pictures of his four-year-old-self in a Spidey costume if asked for proof, LOL 

Alright, so now I have a little faith in the actor. We need to hope this isn't the opposite of the original Spider-trilogy (bad lead actor but great otherwise)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Spider-Man is Sony's movie, not Fox's. 

Just noticed your typo =)

The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By The Jeff

The article says Fox several times. Is it referring to 20th Century Fox or some casting Agent named Fox? what about sony pictures?

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @DannoMan said:
    " I hope this Spidey movie is more like the original comics. "
    Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tmul501

I really like this kid. I can't wait for this movie!

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

Maybe he will be like Ryan Reynolds and actually care about the character he is portraying, and if the film is shit; feel like he must do a better job in creating a better Spider-man in the future :P

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Mediant

His comments do seem genuine and endearing. I'm glad to hear he said that. Now let's hope the rest of the cast and crew feels the same. >.>

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Errrrrr....
    Grass grows. Birds fly. Sun shines. And SONY owns Spider-man.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is a Fox film?!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Magian

It is good that he is a fan, I just hope he is a real fan.Still not sure if he was the right choice for the part but I wsh him good luck. When is the movie about to be released?

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By shawn87

as much as i love Spider-Man, this isn't one of the movies im most looking forward too. Maybe its due to a lack of information on the movie and the fact that its a reboot. But i do hope it turns out to be good and i liked his response to the questions he was asked

arcanineryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arcanineryu

i dunno, he looks a bit too manly to play a nerd who gets picked on all the time that suddenly gets spider powers. oh well i bet he'll be fine.
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Pizawle

Good that he sound so passionate about it.

yankeemanf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yankeemanf

I think this movie could be good. I just dont think Andrew Garfield was the right choice. I think Aaron Johnson of Kick-Ass would have been a better choice.

misterz173

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 118

#24  Edited By misterz173

I don't know. I like Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man better. I think thats because I've become used to him being Spider-Man in the movies. I'm not sure if Andrew Garfield can do better, but, we will see. By the way, does anyone know who will play Mary Jane Watson? Will it still be Kristin Dunste, or will it be someone else? 

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By ComicCrazy

I have started to really like this guy now and he looks good for the role and it just gives me a lot of hope now that he has been a fan his whole life. I just gotta show you this picture it really does look awesome.

SirDmanIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SirDmanIO
    @misterz173 said:
    "

I don't know. I like Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man better. I think thats because I've become used to him being Spider-Man in the movies. I'm not sure if Andrew Garfield can do better, but, we will see. By the way, does anyone know who will play Mary Jane Watson? Will it still be Kristin Dunste, or will it be someone else? 

No Caption Provided

"
    Someone else. Mary Jane might not even be in this reboot
    Avatar image for daredevilwithoutfear
    Daredevilwithoutfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am willing to give Andrew a chance and After I read this I can see how passionate he his about the character.. I really do want to see a Spidey that is a real Smart Ass and full of Quips as well..

As for M.J. I do not want to see her quite yet.. and If they do cast her Please let her be a Knock Out!!!! Not anyone like Kirsten Dunst.. and Please I do not want the movie having Spider-Man being Unmasked Left and right either

-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By -chapel-

I dunno bout a new Spidey film despite who plays in it. I keep gettin the feeling that Hollywood will eff it up some how. They do ok and I stress with ok, in other comic films but I just think they can't get the concept of Spidey right just yet. The previous movies were enjoyable, just to see Spidey on screen, but all three were horrible to me. I will go see this movie whenever it comes out, but I dont expect too much. Hopefully I am wrong. Since The Dark Knights success all comic movies have been hyped to death and Hollywood is dazzled by the potential dolla signs. I have a feeling they gonna start shoveling soulless crap at us in the next year.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By G'bandit

Yeeeeah, don't feel so comfortable just because hes a fan. Lets not forget that Ben Afleck was also a stone cold fan of a character and he messed up. He was a Daredevil fan and even said he wanted the role because he thought someone else would screw it up..... 

Yeah, good job Ben. You destroy the very thing you were "protecting"  

This could be the same

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eyz

I still would have prefered an in-movie-universe Spider-man movie by Marvel rather than another Sony Pictures series...
    Oh well...
    They better had in the webshooters this time!
    I mean, like a wrote in a blog post 
    http://eyzmaster.blogspot.com/2010/08/comic-talks-organic-web-or-not.html
    they do make more sense in my eyes... call me classic!

MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrCipher

The thing that sticks out for me is this: Just because an actor is a fan doesn't mean that the movie is going to be great. Yes he might approach the character with a bit of reverence and consideration but it's the WRITERS, ARTISTS, PRODUCERS, AND THE DIRECTOR who drive the movie's story, direction and over all feel. The actors are their to act, not rewrite script or discuss imagery so in the end, their feelings or opinions are worthless.
    This entire movie could be filled to the brim with actors that are die hard comic fans but if the movie has a producer like the guy from Daredevil, then the entire story is going to suck because that producer doesn't "get it". 
    And oh yeah, actors can ALWAYS be replaced citing creative differences, difficult behavior, or some other such crap.
    MrCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrCipher
    @G'bandit:
    Affleck can't act his way out of a paper bag but Daredevil was not his fault. If you own the extended cut DVD you can see the producer bashing all of the STORY elements of that movie (that ended up deleted from the finished theatre release) in favor of mindless violence and Daredevil looking cool.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Martian
    @shawn87 said:
    "as much as i love Spider-Man, this isn't one of the movies im most looking forward too. Maybe its due to a lack of information on the movie and the fact that its a reboot. But i do hope it turns out to be good and i liked his response to the questions he was asked "

WOW, finally someone know's what the hell he's talking about! ;)
    G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By G Bird

I think these will be good movies, but I wish instead of re-booting the Spider-Man movies they would explore other options. I wish they'd make movie for people like Moon Knight, Black Panther, and Luke Cage instead.

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By blade hunter

still want a younger actor.

the referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the referee
    @ComicCrazy said:
    "
    I have started to really like this guy now and he looks good for the role and it just gives me a lot of hope now that he has been a fan his whole life. I just gotta show you this picture it really does look awesome.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

This going well, Spider-man is looking forward to something good again.
    RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#38  Edited By RedHurricane24
    @G'bandit: 

That was the producer's fault, actually. Affleck did a really good portrayal of DD, though.
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By G'bandit
    @RedHurricane24:  I've could of said the train line and the father line better -__-  It needed more drama in his voice 

Also the acting during the fight scene with Elektra was terrible too.  

three reasons why I watch Daredevil: Kingpin, "Bring me to life" and Bullseye
    JETTblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JETTblaze

I hope he pulls off the classic Spidey humor and i definitely hope they take the Ultimate Spider-Man approach in this movie. I can't wait to see it.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Huh, I like this guy much more after that interview.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @Dracade102 said:
    "

He looks pretty promising...

"
    weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By weapon154

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

wooodude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wooodude1
        God, it’s just the stuff that dreams are made of, for sure. It’s a true fucking honor to be part of this symbol that I actually think is a very important symbol and it’s meant a great deal to me, and it continues to mean something to people  
    He better not be lying   
    alicemalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alicemalice

I definitely feel a bit more at ease about the movie.  I'm going to be hesitant the whole way through..but this helps.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.