Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spiderman is a more interesting character than Superman?

• 50 results
    Cara_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Spiderman is a more interesting character than Superman? (101 votes)

Yes 100%! 50%
    No -100%! 12%
    He's good but not better 8%
    He's better but not by much 8%
    I WUV DAM BOTH 3> 22%

Answer the question if you would like too!

• 
    PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Completely different characters who are interesting in different ways. This is just going to turn into a huge Superman debate

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think Spider-Man is a more interesting character because of he how has to balance his double life. Plus, he has a lot of interesting relationships with friends, love interests, and even villains.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah pretty much

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Because putting this on the spiderman board is the best way to get objective responses

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People put up scans of Spiderman and Superman character development so I dont have to buy the comics!

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Superman Sucks. Spidey FTW

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Spiderman better.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Generally speaking, I find Spidey more interesting, but nowadays, where Pete's gone, I find it quite difficult to follow that crap they keep serving us, while I enjoy Superman's series. Superman unchained seems pretty decent.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generally speaking, I find Spidey more interesting, but nowadays, where Pete's gone, I find it quite difficult to follow that crap they keep serving us, while I enjoy Superman's series. Superman unchained seems pretty decent.

Well said...

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997

I like them both but I have always considered Spider-Man a better and more interesting character than Clark.His supporting characters are most of the times better and catch my eye way more.But currently both characters at a really bad state but Superman is better.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By jumpstart55

Nah, i always found Superman to be more interesting.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tdk_1997 said:

I like them both but I have always considered Spider-Man a better and more interesting character than Clark.His supporting characters are most of the times better and catch my eye way more.But currently both characters at a really bad state but Superman is better.

Avatar image for katrin_romanoff_004
    Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMNSHO, superman is one of the lamest heroes. He can do anything and everyone knows his weakness is kryptonite. At least he has the excuse of being the first.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

IMNSHO, superman is one of the lamest heroes. He can do anything and everyone knows his weakness is kryptonite. At least he has the excuse of being the first.

Whenever someone brings up the "Superman can do anything" argument I automatically discount their opinion since that argument means their obviously means its entirely based on either a few outdated issues from the silver age or on the billion other people who haven't read a single Superman comic produced in the last 30 years who use this argument.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote yes because I don’t really like super, I know he has some good stories but they are not for me.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

1. He's human
    2. Better/more touching origin
    3. Cooler suit
    4. Relatable
    5. Best rogue in comics history

And many many many more....why does this topic even exists....it's unreasonable.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CheeseSticks

Superman can't even beat Batman. How is a powerhouse, who can't take a street leveler, interesting?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Superman can't even beat Batman. How is a powerhouse, who can't take a street leveler, interesting?

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By angelalfonso

Ok…. If batman can take on superman, and we all know that spiderman (because we all know) can take batman out cold, those that mean that spider man can take on superman?

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks said:

Ok…. If batman can take on superman, and we all know that spiderman (because we all know) can take batman out cold, those that mean that spider man can take on superman?

Yes, Spider-Man would have some Kryptonite on him because every fight featuring Superman are PIS and finish like that.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By 14NC3

LOL I dare someone to put this on the superman wiki board. Let's see if the results are any different...

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You really didn't have to type all that out. You could have just said "I've never read a Superman comic in my life" and we would all understand.

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abhi471990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Abhi471990

i like spidey more. But superman is also a hero he has only one problem that he is a regular face superhero with godlike superpower, these powers qre the main reson that superman is not so famous in general audiences

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: is that a challenge I hear? You're on!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey by a landslide.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To some people yes, to others no.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImagineMan16

@katrin_romanoff_004: Sorry if my reply came off as harsh, I just get annoyed when people spew nonsense like "He's boring because he can do anything and his weakness is a rock!" Because they clearly have limited to no real knowledge of the character.

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katrin_romanoff_004: Sorry if my reply came off as harsh, I just get annoyed when people spew nonsense like "He's boring because he can do anything and his weakness is a rock!" Because they clearly have limited to no real knowledge of the character.

Same here. I knew I was going to find some person here that was going to say some stupid $^&£ like that

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yes he is more interesting because Spiderman/Peter is relatable he has alot of bad days just like we do and he is not perfect

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently this thread is going to be 4 day's old. Wait for 4 days and check out the results...

Oh and I lied, there is no cookies

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By jwalser3

Maybe in the sense that Parker is more relate able. Who actually has to worry about his job, pay bills, friends/ family, etc. On the other hand Superman only does the "human" stuff because he wants to feel like a human.

But IMO Superman has more potential with his stories, from Earth to the reaches of space.

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: you lying, cheating, blackmailing cheap little...

I WANT MY COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 14NC3

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@14nc3: THAT'S IT! (shoots a poisonous arrow at all faces)

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its apples and pears. I like Spidey because he has his teenage type struggles, girl friend problems etc, he isn't invulnerable and has to work hard for his victories against often stronger opponents. He also uses his brains a lot. However he is just a guy from New York, whereas Superman has a far more interesting origin story. You have the whole Krypton thing going on. Superman also has to contend with his own battles and responsibilities of being earth's champion. I couldn't choose one over the other in terms of being "interesting".

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By jointron33

As much as people know his motto(great power and what not), Spidey NEVER lives up to these words. All of the big events in his life are usually handled in an immature, high school fashion, even when the character has become an adult. He NEVER maturely deals with things, simply using the fact that he's Spider-Man as an excuse. For all his talk of relatability, he NEVER grows up.

As much as I hate how that the New 52 has a Lois and Clark who aren't married, at least there's a bit of dignity in that continuity was rebooted. One More Day(beating that horse, I know) is one of the worst things in comics, EVER. Not only does Peter respond to Aunt May being shot in a utterly immature fashion, but he gives up his marriage with Mary Jane, something supposedly so powerful and pure that Mephisto himself wanted it gone, to bring back his already frail and ailing aunt. Let's dissect this for a bit. Aunt May was severely frail and old when Peter BECAME Spider-Man, so expecting too much more "mileage" out of her is immature in and of itself. On top of that, Peter selfishly denies his dying aunt's request of "letting her go and be with Uncle Ben" so that HE can have her, content with throwing away his entire relationship with Mary Jane in the process. Of all the things that OMD is criticized for, this gets the LEAST amount of publicity. That fact alone scares me.

Not to mention the fact that that storyline insinuated that people who like escapist fiction are sorry louts and losers, or the fact that THAT isn't criticized. There's also the fact that Quesada believes that Peter became unrelatable after he started being an adult, moving out, getting married, and having a generally happy life. The sad part is, many fans seem to agree with him, which means that the louts and losers bit may actually be true. Are Spidey fans nothing but useless eaters who can't even wipe their own arses and need to be put down like dogs so as to not waste oxygen? That's what they seem to be saying about themselves.

With both Superman and Spider-Man, the marriages were criticized by writers and fans, who seemed to think that nothing could be done now with married protagonists. That says A HELL of a lot about their mindsets and how mature they are, not to mention lending more credence to the above argument.

After ALL of that, what was my point? As much of an unrelatable larger-than-life "god" as some people think Superman is, at least in that respect he's true to the name, as opposed to the utter lie that is Spider-Man, a character who for all of his talk of responsibility, stagnates in a high school mentality limbo to appease both writers and fans who will feel left behind if he goes and does something with his life.

TobenRacicot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Spider-Man has always been better and always will be better. He is a perfect super hero. He uses a mask. That is the whole idea of it. They hide, but they hide publicly. Plus because of his origin, the great mistake that cost Uncle Ben his life, Peter has such a shadow hanging over him. Add on top of that that he was orphaned and Gwen, the love of his life (I say at least) was essentially killed by Peter. He has many burdens, many scars, many regrets yet he pushes on to be better. To help, save, and rescue. This is why I love Spider-Man.

Superman has never really done it for me. Too perfect too morally perfect. He barely has room for error in his life. He walks around like a King or Ruler from some high up country and does what he needs to do for what? What debt does he owe to Earth? I could understand maybe if he somehow caused Krypton to explode and was paying off a debt or trying to find redemption but no, such is not the case.

Also to further the argument, Spider-Man has the best villains in comics. I will say even better then Batman. I say the Green Goblin wins overtop of the Joker. The Lizard wins over Killer Croc. And the list goes on and on. Spider-Man has better tech, better supporting cast. In every way Spider-Man wins.

No question.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Billy Batson

Piderman has been a premise character so no.

BB

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There basically the same concept, only Peter is more realistic and depressed than Clark is and is hated rather than feared like Superman.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kcomicfan

Both characters are interesting, but IMO Peter is way more interesting.

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter life is more interesting.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter life is more interesting.

But less epic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.