Spider-Man's Powers Are So Underrated

• 53 results
#1 Posted by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Call me bias ( I am ) but when I get into a debate on Spider-man vs so & so, people never taken into account how fast and strong Spidy is. Even in the cartoon, movies, and comics, they hardly show oh truly strong or fast he is.  
 One of the reasons why I loved the MTV Spider-man shows is that they really showed off a powerful Spider-man. When I hear Spidy vs Wolverine, I always say, Wolverine couldn't catch him, and if he did, one full force punch knock Logan out. I'm not saying He's better than Wolverine (although he is) but in a fight, Spidy wins 7 out of 10 times IMO. 

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

He has plenty of feats that show his powers. I don't have scans, but I'm sure a few resident fans do.... Spidey 15, you there?

#3 Edited by emptytomb (398 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but why doesn't Marvel create a ultraverse where most of marvels characters are overpowered, super strong, and invicible. Spiderman should be able to to fly, pick up buidings, bullet proof, be able to stick to air instead of buildings. The Hulk should be able to destroy planets with one punch or universes with one clap. Wolverines claws should be able to expand miles and be strong as the juggernaut. Cyclops be able to blast a hole to the core of the planet or the sun  while being superstrong. Iron man should be able to teleport and destroy planets with a single push of a button. Apocalypse so powerful that he could destory planets with a blast. Magneto should be able to crush a universe. Make all marvel character undestroyable by tanks...etc... for the people who claim they are weak.

#4 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

He has lots.  They aren't always on display and I think they have treated him like Superman over the years in terms of powers.  Superman has more powers than they lead on and use, not much different than Spider-man.  When the time comes, I think you will start to see more and more.  Spidey is about to go down a pretty eventful road. 

#5 Posted by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Good points. 

#6 Edited by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@striderno9: Spider-man is not underrated. In battle forums except the powers, we take into consideration the personality of the character. And spidey's personality prevents him from utilizing his powers against certain opponents like cap, black panther etc.....So, these skilled opponents, use their skills and tactical intellect to overcome spidey's superiority and since spider-man  always holds back against inferior characters, they will be able to beat him in the end. 

Spider-man does not fight his friends in the same way he fights his villains and he won;t utilize his powers against them as much as he does against his villains. 

@InnerVenom123:  

Speed/ agility: 

Strength:

Spider-sense: 

Durability: 

I have more scans if you want! 
=D
#7 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

His powers aren't really incredible, but he uses them very effectively.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" His powers aren't really incredible, but he uses them very effectively. "
This. 

His battle against the Kravinoffs in Grim Hunt exemplifies why Spidey is so dangerous. He's not particuarly powerful (he actually has the least powers of the entire Spider-family) but he constantly holds back. It takes a lot to push Pete over the edge, and when that happens; the "Spyder" is unleashed.
#9 Edited by StriderNo9 (104 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15: Totally agree man. I was more so referring to how some casual fans see him and how he is shown in the old cartoons and movies. Great scans, if you got more send them over. :D
#10 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

someone saying he cant beat a character in a Battle thread doesn't equal under-rated, thats just the nature of 
debate (especially in Spider-man Vs Wolverine on any site that one is done). Spider-man has great powers,
and that's shown by throwing him against much greater threats than himself. Granted he isn't Superman or
Thor, but theres always a bigger fish than the next in the pond so that really doesn't equal anything.

#11 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@striderno9:  Glad that we agree. I will post scans later if you don't mind. 

@Jotham: @FadeToBlackBolt: 
 I disagree. Spidey rarely fights at his best. He always pulls his punches and he also get hits from slower people than him. Maybe sometimes against teams or certain opponents, he use his powers in a smart way, but not always. 
=] 
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said:

@Jotham: @FadeToBlackBolt:  I disagree. Spidey rarely fights at his best. He always pulls his punches and he also get hits from slower people than him. Maybe sometimes against teams or certain opponents, he use his powers in a smart way, but not always. =]  "
That's what I said lol
#13 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: I'm aware, but i saw that you agreed that sidey is using his powers effectively. And that was not true. 

Well, sorry for the misunderstanding. 
=]
#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15: No worries, but he does use them effectively, if he didn't he would have to go all out every time, you know?
#15 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @spidey 15: No worries, but he does use them effectively, if he didn't he would have to go all out every time, you know? "
No, you didn't get the point. 
The OP stated that spidey is underrated because he loses in some battles. 
Well, the reason is that he loses because he does not fight effectively against the people he is put against. 

Against his villains, teams and others, even though he is holding back, he is very effectively with his powers. 
=]
#16 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15: Think about it, though. What are his powers? He's pretty strong and abnormally fast, he senses danger and he sticks to walls. That's pretty much it. Those powers aren't that incredible, and yet he's still one of the most formidable heroes in the Marvel universe.
#17 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @spidey 15: Think about it, though. What are his powers? He's pretty strong and abnormally fast, he senses danger and he sticks to walls. That's pretty much it. Those powers aren't that incredible, and yet he's still one of the most formidable heroes in the Marvel universe. "
Yeah, but you don't know the level of his powers. 
Spidey is one of the most agile heroes. 
Spidey's reaction is pretty fast. He dodged electrical attacks, he dodged bullets after they are fired and from point blank etc..... 
Spidey's strength allows him to lift trains and destroy tanks. 
His spider-sense allows him to dodge things he can not see, to detect the location of his opponent and even the weapons he has. 
Do i have to mention his webbing? 
=P
#18 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15: Is his webbing an actual power now?
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @spidey 15: No worries, but he does use them effectively, if he didn't he would have to go all out every time, you know? "
No, you didn't get the point. The OP stated that spidey is underrated because he loses in some battles. Well, the reason is that he loses because he does not fight effectively against the people he is put against.  Against his villains, teams and others, even though he is holding back, he is very effectively with his powers. =] "
I was speaking in general, not with regard to the OP.
#20 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman is not underrated, in fact he is overrated all over the vine.

#21 Edited by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:

" @spidey 15: Is his webbing an actual power now? "

No, but it will be stupid if we didn't count it. It's something standard for him. 
=] 
@FadeToBlackBolt: ok. 
=]
#22 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@spidey 15 said:
" @Jotham said:

" @spidey 15: Is his webbing an actual power now? "

No, but it will be stupid if we didn't count it. It's something standard for him. 
=] "
I wasn't sure, it's been a while since I've read it. But I would say that's an example of his effectiveness outside of his actual powers. He didn't have the ability to shoot webs, but using his natural ingenuity, he developed a way to do it.
I'm not saying some of his powers aren't impressive, he's just far better than his powers should allow.
#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" Spiderman is not underrated, in fact he is overrated all over the vine. "
Co-signed
#24 Posted by spidey 15 (17756 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Fair enough. 
=]
#25 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
I must of missed something then.
#26 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: this is just my opinion. In all honesty, nothing more.
#27 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: It's made me curious. From your point of view (which is valid as it is your opinion) what threads going around make him or his powers over-rated.
#28 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: threads where they pit him against characters who constantly accomplish more with inferior power sets and we are supposed to think he's better based on some, in my opinion, truly bullshit argument about Spider-Man holding back. I mean after the Other arc, he got a power suit and a complete power boost and Steve Rogers was still able to get in a fist fight with him and look good.
#29 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach:  As of recently I can only think of one user who has overhyped Spidey is why I've asked. Of course we may have two different views on what's considered overrated.
#30 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
"  Of course we may have two different views on what's considered overrated. "
how would you define an overrated character, if I might ask then.
#31 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" @spidey 15: Think about it, though. What are his powers? He's pretty strong and abnormally fast, he senses danger and he sticks to walls. That's pretty much it. Those powers aren't that incredible, and yet he's still one of the most formidable heroes in the Marvel universe. "
There's a bit more to the spider sense than just detecting danger.
#32 Edited by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man is Underated in comics and here (comic vine) is even more underated, people doesn't see the possibilities, they take everything in the comics as a fact, those powers are awesome... I am happy that there is a lot of writers that use his powers properly.

The Spider-man powers as where created are pure gold, is powerful enough to defeat a lot of characters, and weak enough to be not considered overpowered, only the intelligent people could see what I am seeing, there is a lot of closed minds here...
#33 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" how would you define an overrated character, if I might ask then. "
Sorry forgot I had posted here and didn't reply back.

Overrated as a character in general?
Overrated by fans?
Overrated on this site?
As there are some degrees of difference.
#34 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne said:
" Sorry forgot I had posted here and didn't reply back.  "
no problem.
@Andferne said:
" Overrated as a character in general? Overrated by fans? Overrated on this site? As there are some degrees of difference. "
on each of them.
#35 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach: k

Overrated in general: Sort of falls in with overexposure. Examples that spring to mind for me are Wolverine and Deadpool. The company knows how 'popular' they are at some time and whore them out. Having them not just appearing anywhere and everywhere. But also pitting them up against characters (or entire teams too) they shouldn't stand a chance against yet letting them still look like a badass. When they constantly have people referencing how bad to the bone they are in panel, even when the character isn't.

Overrated by fans: Storm springs to mind first. Venom, Deadpool. Wolverine. DBZ in general.

Overrated on this site: We have waves of characters come and go. At one point here on the Vine Gambit was extremely overrated. Storm is the most prominent example the Vine has seen.
#36 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andferne: o.k cool
#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
FALSE.
#38 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"FALSE. "
I completely disagree and since this an opinion and not science. Just screaming FALSE doesn't make it so.
#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: no, why?
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @Vance Astro: no, why? "
LOL..I'm just messin with you :)
#44 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8732 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:
#45 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually in the second movie they actually showed a feat of strength when that giant wall of steel was gonna crush him and MJ O_O

#46 Posted by WoundingFactor (178 posts) - - Show Bio

I think part of the reason Parker gets underrated is that we see so little growth from him. He's always either broke, or unemployed, or being chased hunted by one or more members of his menagerie of villains. When was the last time we saw Spidey catch his breath long enough to have a realistic shot at bettering himself?

#47 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i remember an issue when he lifted a train

#48 Posted by Spidermeat101 (260 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham said:

@spidey 15: Is his webbing an actual power now?

That's like asking is Iron Man's Energy Blast a Power.You don't only need natural powers for them to be considered powers.

#49 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1662 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham: I think you present them in an oversimplifying manner. As if you were saying, so Hulk is a very very strong man, so what? What makes him incredible? He has spider-sense + agility. Practically, you can't surprise him/can't touch him. I believe that's more than incredible. Sure, he's not a power tank, but his m.o. concerning his strength isn't that bad...

And some little extra about his powers...the power to communicate with children while fishing!?!?!...

#50 Posted by HushoftheWind (779 posts) - - Show Bio

@spidey 15: Damn! I never seen Spidey lift a tank before, i remember him saying he struggles to lift up a car, but he hoisted that tank up there. That tank looks at least 40 tons, i thought Spidey was at max a 15 tonner?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.