Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man's marriage. How do you feel now?

• 66 results
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman  Online

A lot of people me included were upset that they broke up the marriage and most thought how they did it was horrible. 
    What I want to know has time changed your opinion on Spider-Man not being married anymore and where would you like for them to go from here.? 

Personally my feelings have changed. I am ok with them not being married. Although I think she could return to his life at some point as a girl friend.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KainScion

time hasnt changed my opinnion at all: it sucked that they broke up then for an old lady (nice but SERIOUSLY NOW that has how many years in her 3-4 5 tops?) and it sucks that it happened now. they were perfect. and the fact that ocasionally show them interract and hit it off perfectly (ex spider island) and alude to maybe something more the next issue they do the same just allude to something and never give us something concrete. and that just stings. 'we're bringing them back together woop no we're not.....'. you suck marvel they were the clark and lois of marvel.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

@Dernman: At first: I was pretty annoyed

Then when the Felicia and Michele came up: I was furious

Then: It started to get better

Then: Dan Slott took over and I really really like the situation Parker is in now

To be honest although we all loved Peter/Mary Jane's marriage there was only so much that could be done with it. As horrible as it sounds breaking up the marriage freed Spider-man's character a hell of a lot. I'm surprised they managed to make the marriage last as long as they did. The main reason was annoyed with was how the break up happened. I mean c'mon a deal with Mephisto? Spider-man isn't Ghost Rider... They could have found a better way to end the marriage. Not to mention he basically told the TOAA to go screw himself by resurrecting aunt may lol:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Spider-man talking to The One Above All

In fact the only thing i'm not liking about the current Spider-man is the fact they are still making such a big deal out of Mary Jane. They broke up the marriage so stop bringing her up let Peter live a little before bringing her back.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By X35

I'm more offended by the treatment of Black Cat after Pete's marriage dissolution than the actual marriage dissolution.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By mewmdude77

I don't mind their marriage being broken up. There's a limit on the range some stories that can be done, and sometimes it turned MJ into just one of those comic wives that sit around, waiting for their husband to return from super heroing. I really wish they had done it some other way. A deal with the devil is the wrong way completely. Peter is supposed to be super responsible, but making a deal with the devil is not even a tiny bit responsible. It was selfish, and irrational. If Aunt May could have told Peter anything while he was making the decision, she would have told him to let her go, and keep living his life. She is pretty old by now, She probably would have welcomed the death, so she could be with Uncle Ben again.

I do like what Dan Slott is doing though, he's a fantastic writer.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @X35 said:

I'm more offended by the treatment of Black Cat after Pete's marriage dissolution than the actual marriage dissolution.

Care to expand on that? I'm interested to hear what's on your mind, and not necessarily because I disagree.
    Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

At first I was meh, but Im okay with now.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By X35

@Morpheus_ said:

@X35 said:

Care to expand on that? I'm interested to hear what's on your mind, and not necessarily because I disagree.

The problem is even after the marriage ended Mary Jane is still treat and used as if she still is the dream fantasy superlove of Peter Parker even though circumstance doesn't allow them to be together. Whereas on the other end, Felicia has been handled absolutely atrociously and debased to make us all go "yeah, she's just a flirt, a harmless bit of fun, no way her and Peter should be together properly". They've regressed her to the role of a conniving skank who will sleep with anything and then betray her friends for money. This isn't Felicia. This has never been Felicia. It disgusts me that Felicia, my favorite Spider-character and someone I relate to and look up to, is at the stage now where she's just a gratuitous sex object for writers like Slott, Waid and Wells to abuse. It's tasteless and really offensive how they've just completely twisted a character into a stereotype she never was. Stuff like her having sex with Spider-Man and not letting him take off his mask? Using him to steal his blood? Going at it with every character under the sun? Ugh.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Rumble Man

Still upset and meh-ish

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's like rubbing alcohol on a wound that never happened.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

The marriage was never the issue with me. It was the retcon of The Other that pissed me off.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mewmdude77

@X35 said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@X35 said:

The problem is even after the marriage ended Mary Jane is still treat and used as if she still is the dream fantasy superlove of Peter Parker even though circumstance doesn't allow them to be together. Whereas on the other end, Felicia has been handled absolutely atrociously and debased to make us all go "yeah, she's just a flirt, a harmless bit of fun, no way her and Peter should be together properly". They've regressed her to the role of a conniving skank who will sleep with anything and then betray her friends for money. This isn't Felicia. This has never been Felicia. It disgusts me that Felicia, my favorite Spider-character and someone I relate to and look up to, is at the stage now where she's just a gratuitous sex object for writers like Slott, Waid and Wells to abuse. It's tasteless and really offensive how they've just completely twisted a character into a stereotype she never was. Stuff like her having sex with Spider-Man and not letting him take off his mask? Using him to steal his blood? Going at it with every character under the sun? Ugh.

Wouldn't her not letting him take off his mask be a thing of personal trust, and her respecting his secret identity, plus the fact she never liked Peter, she only like the thrills of Spider-Man? Also, she used to be a master cat burgalar, she's used him in other ways too. Like when he first caught her, she pretended to act like a love sick puppy, who thought of Spidey like her dad, so he sent her to a mental institute instead of jail, so she could escape easier? Also, I don't think she's going after every character under the sun, she's only dating Daredevil, right? and that's just the next step, since Daredevil is one of SPidey's closest allies, and I think more her taste anyways, since Daredevil is more edgy and such?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @X35 said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@X35 said:

My only real objection to what you said would be that Slott had Peter say he was, and I quote, "madly in love with" Carlie, of all people, so if anything she was pushed far more than Mary Jane did, at least until Spider Island and the end of their romantic relationship. As far as Felicia is concerned, I agree with practically everything else, even though I'd say Waid did give her a little more respect and personality than that of a skank, albeit that was not nearly as obvious at first during the ASM/DD crossover.
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By X35

@mewmdude77 said:

plus the fact she never liked Peter, she only like the thrills of Spider-Man?

NO NO NO NO NO THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HATE

THIS ISN'T TRUE AT ALL

THESE HACK WRITERS LIKE WAID AND WELLS JUST USING THIS ONE THING AND NOTHING ELSE.

Felicia loves Peter. The character was attracted to the Spider-Man side of the character and was less than thrilled he was just a normal guy but she realised she loved Peter as well. Even though her romance with the only man she truly loved turned bad, she still went on to become one of his and Mary Jane's closest friends because she legitimately loves and cares for Peter. She's not just some slut who gets off on Spider-Man outfits or superheroes like all of the current Marvel frathouse thinks. The minute Brand New Day happened, the character died and was replaced with a character who had almost nothing in common with Felicia Hardy. Fed up of it.

(sorry if this seems i'm yelling at you specifically)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By X35

@Morpheus_ said:

@X35 said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@X35 said:

My only real objection to what you said would be that Slott had Peter say he was, and I quote, "madly in love with" Carlie, of all people, so if anything she was pushed far more than Mary Jane did, at least until Spider Island and the end of their romantic relationship. As far as Felicia is concerned, I agree with practically everything else, even though I'd say Waid did give her a little more respect and personality than that of a skank, albeit that was not nearly as obvious at first during the ASM/DD crossover.

Well, even when Carlie Cooper is there and all the ham-fisted "whoa, she is the perfect girl" moments, it's clear the book is still baiting and teasing people that actually Mary Jane and Peter Parker are the power-couple. Why else is she still around so damn much in the book? They're pretty much ust using her because they know she is the best match for Peter in spite of all the "Carlie Cooper is amazing" crap.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReVamp

Still pissed.

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ExtraLarge

I thought it was a very cheap way to end the relationship. If they had just gotten divorced, they could easily have the same relationship they do now. Of course, Mary Jane would have to have been the one to do something horribly divorce worthy, but by now they could have gotten past that to the point they could be friends now. Then the current topic could have been have we forgiven Mary Jane. In my opinion, Marvel has missed the boat on not having Spider-Man date his fellow Avengers. If I'm not mistaken, Ms Marvel still owes him a date. And how awesome would a brief Spider-Man/Squirrel Girl relationship be?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Gambit1024 said:

The marriage was never the issue with me. It was the retcon of The Other that pissed me off.

PREACH!

I also dislike how Kaine has those abilities now, not because I don't like Kaine, I do, but THEY WERE PETE'S. It was his gift as the Centre of the Web, not something that just anyone could get. 

Anyway, bugger Mary Jane.  

Spider-Man and Ms Marvel all the way. 
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman  Online

@ExtraLarge said:

I thought it was a very cheap way to end the relationship. If they had just gotten divorced, they could easily have the same relationship they do now. Of course, Mary Jane would have to have been the one to do something horribly divorce worthy, but by now they could have gotten past that to the point they could be friends now. Then the current topic could have been have we forgiven Mary Jane. In my opinion, Marvel has missed the boat on not having Spider-Man date his fellow Avengers. If I'm not mistaken, Ms Marvel still owes him a date. And how awesome would a brief Spider-Man/Squirrel Girl relationship be?

IIRC they did have that date but it went bad. So they ended up sharing chili dogs or something.

Peter and MJ are the end match for me but I would like to see him date before he makes that connection.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @X35 said:

Well, even when Carlie Cooper is there and all the ham-fisted "whoa, she is the perfect girl" moments, it's clear the book is still baiting and teasing people that actually Mary Jane and Peter Parker are the power-couple. Why else is she still around so damn much in the book? They're pretty much ust using her because they know she is the best match for Peter in spite of all the "Carlie Cooper is amazing" crap.

She was gone for a significant length of time during BND. I'm not really surprised she is regularly featured in the book these days, she is both a significant and popular character in Spider-Man's mythos. Her presence might be somewhat of a cliche of the "will they? won't they" trope, but it is not detrimental or particularly heavy handed, given the feelings she and Peter still share. That being said, I am in agreement than Black Cat deserves far greater respect than she gets and could have also been an important player instead of simply being brushed aside and relegated to an occasional fling. 

I'm glad the whole thing with Carlie is over, though.
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dernman  Online

I actually don't think I would have liked the idea of a divorce. I'm not happy with the way it did go down but something had to happen for everyone to forget Peter was Spider-Man.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By X35

@Dernman said:

something had to happen for everyone to forget Peter was Spider-Man.

Why though?

I mean, yes, eventually... but there was still hundreds and thousands of potential stories and untapped ideas to do with Spider-Man's identity now being known to the public. It was so stupid how they so so quickly dropped that element. I mean, they weren't even going to do any follow-up whatsoever on Jonah/Peter angle until a fan happened to ask Peter David if it was going to happen and he used the idea for his final issue of Friendly Neighborhood.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dernman  Online

@X35: Maybe I'm biased because I just didn't like Spider-Man revealing himself at all. There were a couple of things they could have addressed but not enough that were of an interest to me for it to stay that way much longer then it did.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024 said:

Agreed. It was entirely unnecessary to erase his "extra" powers.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Strider1992

@X35 said:

Completely agree with this. Keeping Mary Jane on as a love interest when they went through the trouble of creating a crap story to make their marriage end is just stupid and I agree with you about Felicia.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Gambit1024 said:

PREACH!

I also dislike how Kaine has those abilities now, not because I don't like Kaine, I do, but THEY WERE PETE'S. It was his gift as the Centre of the Web, not something that just anyone could get. Anyway, bugger Mary Jane. Spider-Man and Ms Marvel all the way.

While I agree that retcon was stupid I find that the "other" powers fit Kaine a lot better than Peter. Kaine will actually put those abilities such as the stingers to good use due to his morals allowing him to really cause some damage.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By htb106

hang on, did they break up MJ and spidey...

I'm not a marvel fan but that's just wrong!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman  Online

@Strider92 said:

@X35 said:

Completely agree with this. Keeping Mary Jane on as a love interest when they went through the trouble of creating a crap story to make their marriage end is just stupid and I agree with you about Felicia.

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Gambit1024 said:

PREACH!

I also dislike how Kaine has those abilities now, not because I don't like Kaine, I do, but THEY WERE PETE'S. It was his gift as the Centre of the Web, not something that just anyone could get. Anyway, bugger Mary Jane. Spider-Man and Ms Marvel all the way.

While I agree that retcon was stupid I find that the "other" powers fit Kaine a lot better than Peter. Kaine will actually put those abilities such as the stingers to good use due to his morals allowing him to really cause some damage.

I have to ask. Is Peter still the center of the web or has he been replaced?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By X35

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Yeah, The Other was much worse. Absolute garbage.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strider1992

@Dernman said:

I have to ask. Is Peter still the center of the web or has he been replaced?

To my knowledge he's still the center.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deranged Midget

@X35 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

The Other was far more enjoyable than O.M.I.T. or Brand New Day. It also led to Back in Black which is a spectacular story.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gambit1024

@X35 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Ouch. The Other was fantastic. Much more enjoyable than anything before Slott.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dernman  Online

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Ouch. The Other was fantastic. Much more enjoyable than anything before Slott.

Fwoo for a second there I didn't see the before before Slott.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By X35

@Deranged Midget: No. Civil War led into Back in Black. I don't understand at all how you can say The Other led into Back in Black. Spider-Man beating up the Kingpin is tied into his rebirth because.... Spiders hate fat guys? The Other was basically just a stand-alone load of confusing and pretentious crap. And I also found it really weird how The Other was just a more drawn-out version of that Spectacular Spider-Man story from a year before that introduced the Queen. Y'know... that story where Spider-Man dies but is reborn from a Spider-Egg and has new powers that are never seen again after the story... Sound familiar?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

@Dernman: You'll never see me say that. Slott's the best thing that happened to Spider-Man since ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Rumble Man said:

Still upset and meh-ish

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nickzambuto

Uroborous Wesker, I can forgive

Big Boss being alive in MGS4, I can forget

Mephisto stealing Peter and MJ's marriage, I will never get used too.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still pisses me off, I mean it goes against peter's character, knowing that his aunt would never approve of this deal.

That said I enjoy the current spider-man books.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deranged Midget

@X35: Never meant that it led into Back in Black canonically and yes, I know it was extremely relatable to "The Queen" story-line even to the point where I used to think they were basically always one and the same. I merely meant to say that after "The Other" saga, it led into a whole set of stories separate from what Spider-man used to be portrayed as.

@Gambit1024 said:

Slott's the best thing that happened to Spider-Man since ever.

Truth be spoken.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Skyfire

I've mellowed out since, although I still think it was a horrible decision.

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BringnIt

I'm no longer mad about the break up, but honestly I think the dynamic between Peter and MJ is one of the most essential things about the character I like. I personally enjoyed The Other overall and the things that stand out to me the most were her devastation at losing Peter, and Peter returning from the grave to save the woman he loved. If a temporary reprieve was necessary, so be it, but I really think they need to be back together and her quietly whispering I love you to Peter at the end of Spider Island was a very happy moment for me.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darthfury78

@X35 said:

Yep. They regressed The Black Cat into a character that was reminder of the 1980's. But if she get her original memories of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, she might go after him with a vengeance now that he's single. However, Felicia would have to take a number because Ms. Marvel and Silver Sable have expressed on interest in Spider-Man as well as Spider-Woman and The Black Widow, despite the latter two being in their respective relationships.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Strider92 said:

@Dernman: At first: I was pretty annoyed

Then when the Felicia and Michele came up: I was furious

Then: It started to get better

Then: Dan Slott took over and I really really like the situation Parker is in now

To be honest although we all loved Peter/Mary Jane's marriage there was only so much that could be done with it. As horrible as it sounds breaking up the marriage freed Spider-man's character a hell of a lot. I'm surprised they managed to make the marriage last as long as they did. The main reason was annoyed with was how the break up happened. I mean c'mon a deal with Mephisto? Spider-man isn't Ghost Rider... They could have found a better way to end the marriage. Not to mention he basically told the TOAA to go screw himself by resurrecting aunt may lol:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In fact the only thing i'm not liking about the current Spider-man is the fact they are still making such a big deal out of Mary Jane. They broke up the marriage so stop bringing her up let Peter live a little before bringing her back.

LOL Peter has a lot of balls talking to God like that.

But...My feelings are still the same in this matter.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Primmaster64

No wait...I'm meh right now. It doesn't bother me anymore.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darthfury78

My personal feeling is that Peter Parker will die and his soul will go right into the hands of Mephisto.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Strider1992

@Primmaster64 said:

LOL Peter has a lot of balls talking to God like that. But...My feelings are still the same in this matter.

That he does lol.

That must be one of the best feats of bravery (or possibly attempted suicides) i've seen in Marvel.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 138

#46  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

The loss of MJ never bothered me. The power loss and satanic pact were what pissed me off.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Spider-Man use to be my favorite character, but I stopped reading him after One More Day. I will not spend a dime on him until that terrible ret-con gets umm..... ret-conned.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oraclefyre

I miss them together, but I don't miss them being married as much as I used to. I hated the pact with Mephisto thing. That was some bullsh1t right there.

I loathed Carlie with a passion, add in the fact Quaseda named her after his own daughter just was a bullet to the heart for me, like they were setting her up to be this epic character which she wasn't.

I miss MJ, and I'm ready to defend her and Black Cat at any cost from the Gwen Stacy fans who keep trolling and calling them sl*ts all throughout the internet. It's pissing me off.

Anyways, I hope we get to see them begin their relationship at a steady level.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rumble Man

@oraclefyre: It would be better if quesada got divorced instead, and did ya notice wolverine stopped smoking after quesada became editor in chief?

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oraclefyre

@Rumble Man said:

@oraclefyre: It would be better if quesada got divorced instead, and did ya notice wolverine stopped smoking after quesada became editor in chief?

But what does my not liking Carlie have anything to do with Wolverine not smoking anymore...??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.