Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-man's current status

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

do you ever feel that spiderman is getting less attention nowadays? i mean for years people have always been hooked on spiderman and when they think of marvel and comics they think of spiderman. but now things feel a whole lot different. now all i hear and look around are other stuff from marvel other than spidey like the avengers, captain america, iron man, black widow, the guardians of the galaxy, doctor strange, ant man, S.H.I.E.L.D., and so much more. it's because of the success of marvel's movies that more and more characters even characters who use to be c-listers and incredibly obscure are getting more and more popular. heck, marvel even has made more plans on every other characters like luke cage, jessica jones, daredevil, damage control, and i think i heard punisher is getting some treatment even people are clingling to fox's x-men. thanks to sony's meddling with the films i feel that the wallcrawler's status is somewhat fading away. it boggles my mind what sony is even doing with the character and the movies. i'm extremely confused. don't they want to keep the rights? isn't that the whole point of them wanting to stay in this business and never giving the rights back to marvel not even if it kills them? both films were suppose to be well made even the second film was told to be already done but they edited stuff out anyway. why are they wasting their times trying to screw around with the creators, fans and General Audiances? marc webb, andrew garfield, emma stone, sally field, rhys ifans, dane dehaan, martin sheen, and the entire casts and crew had alot of potential and hard work and sony just crumbled them like if they were pixies. now with marvel gaining more and more popularity and sony meddling with the films spiderman is gaining less recognition. i remember when people cared more and more about comics than movies but now people care more about the movies than the comics. i'm not saying movies shouldn't be talked about i'm saying that times are changing insanely and the comics are even changing as well. but whenever there's a marvel comic i feel like it's less about spiderman and more about other characters like moon knight, the x-men, new avengers, daredevil, etc.

any thoughts?

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Quickfingers26

@marvelman92: I wouldn't worry about it. Everything is a cycle. Anyone who drifts away from Peter Parker will be back around.

There's a lot more competition out there for ol' Spidey now.

People are loving the highly acclaimed MCU films and why not? They rock. In comparison, recent Spider-Man films have been a little so-so. With the popularity of the films, any offshoots are going to be interesting as well, especially if the are FREE, like Agents of Shield, Agent Carter or can be streamed on Netflix. Netflix has done well with its series and Marvel has given the new shows "Daredevil", "Iron Fist", etc a very high budget to work with.

Also the last year and a half has been a rough patch in comics for our friendly neighborhood wall-crawler. Peter Parker died and Doc Ock became the Superior Spider-Man. Many Spidey fans hated the move, many disliked the stories and many were disheartened at what was clearly a temporary "shocking development" that would later simply be reversed. (personally I thought the stories were interesting but I was ready for Peter to return by the time the series concluded)

And this is not even factoring in the competition of similar spider-characters in recent years such as: Scarlet Spider (Kaine), Agent Venom, Miles Morales and the brand new Silk.

It will balance out. People love things that are new but they always return to the classics. And Spider-Man is a timeless classic.

No Caption Provided

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks man. i really needed that. i was really worried because with all of the marvel films coming out and are in production the movies effected the comics and even alot of people are talking more about movies and less about comics from what i'm seeing. guardians is now a gigantic hit and people have been talking about this movie for a while. it still sucks that all of the other marvel films even outside of marvel studios are getting such well made movies. heck, even dawn of justice has something promising with ben affleck helping zack snyder, the argo writer writing the movie, and very well tight casts while other adaptations are getting luck as well. spiderman almost had 2 great films but thanks to sony they were edited to death. i really want marc webb to show his potential and he has hit the emotional and realistic core of the spiderman universe even making some convincing interactions and andrew garfield really nails his performance as both peter parker and spiderman though i wish peter cared more for his aunt and uncle in the second film and i hope he still does in future films and i really want peter to be more responsible and have some struggle with his power and responsiblity. i also don't want to see him getting ideas from a youtube video nor any stupid video websites nor anyone giving him help at times. i just want to see peter use his brain and let the audiance see how smart he is. if sony wants to keep the rights they need to let marc and crew and even goddard and crew do their things.

i'm still glad spidey is hanging in there. he's been having a really rough life. heck, tonight i had a terrible life with my mom and sister. my sister was even worse >:(

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats what happens when you hire Andrew garfield as spiderman and remove peter parkers mind from his body.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, andrew's great. it's the editing that's the problem

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelman92: No worries. Always good to chat with a Spidey fan.

And my unsolicited advice on your family is this: If it doesn't change the rotation of the Earth... don't sweat it. Families are a hot mess, but roll with the punches and it'll be all good after a good night's sleep.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna take a long time before we see Spidey back to early 2000s status though.

Archer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no spidey is still top dog marvel just tries to advertise more for the other dudes

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By magnetic_eye

As far as I'm concerned the Sony films haven't been all that great. I would prefer Marvel Studios to handle their own characters.

If and when the film rights revert back to Marvel, they should do a complete reboot with new cast, new director and better screenwriters.

The Sony adaptations are loosely based on the Ultimate comic book series, but I would love to see a mature treatment of the original 616 Spider-Man.

To top it off, they should quickly move away from the teen Spider-Boy stories and into mature stories featuring an adult Spider-Man, the way the "Amazing Spider-Man" books used to be.

Flashback sequences could be used to explain any teen back story if needed.

As far as the current status of ASM books go, I couldn't care less for the infantile regression and uncharacteristic depictions of an unfamiliar Spider-Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.