Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-man's power level

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Has anyone else noticed that Spider-man's gotten weaker over the years? He doesn't have his other powers and now it seems like he can only lift about 3-5 tons. There was a time when he was stronger than the Thing and that was when he was just starting out.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunately, power levels vary depending on the writer unless exactly defined. Spider-Man seems to be one of those characters whose power levels aren't clearly defined.

Do you have any scans to show that Spidey was ever stronger than the Thing?

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By VeganDiet

@pcn24454: He just squatted 70 tons of private jet, and tore through something that is second only to adamantium, last year. While he hasn't done anything as flashy as throwing around tanks no problem, lifting a train car above his head, or supporting a building, he's still showing off some pretty impressive strength recently.

@impy: I think he's remembering wrong. Back in, I believe, Amazing Spider-man Annual #1, they talk about how strong Spider-man is. I believe they say he's only behind Hulk, Thor, and the Thing in strength. I can try and find a scan.

wrthreeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Sorry

I had to.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrthreeh said:
    Loading Video...

Sorry

I had to.

Don't be. It was either going to be me or you.

eclipter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eclipter
    JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJ62

@eclipter: Wow. I didn't know back in the day, Spidey was actually supposed to be the 4th strongest in MU.

Was that before Hercules, Juggernaut, Iron Man, Colossus were around?

eclipter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62: Honestly I can't say. I'm not too knowledgeable on X-Men. Especially not the comics from way back.

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow didn't know he was that strong

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@eclipter: Ah, I see. It'd be a real head scratcher because there is really no way Spidey is stronger than Hercules, Iron Man or Colossus. My best guess is that they didn't exist yet. Back than was Spidey class 100? It sure seems that way being compared to Hulk, Thor and Thing.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PCN24454

In the first issue, he was able to take on the entire Fantastic Four and win. Maybe it's just that their power levels increased but his didn't.

Impy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vegandiet: For some reason I didn't get a notification about your reply, sorry. That's what I thought too.

@eclipter said:

@vegandiet: I believe you meant this panel

No Caption Provided

Exactly. This is exactly what I was remembering.

@jj62 said:

@eclipter: Wow. I didn't know back in the day, Spidey was actually supposed to be the 4th strongest in MU.

Was that before Hercules, Juggernaut, Iron Man, Colossus were around?

Iron Man was around by the time The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 came out. I don't think Juggernaut or Colossus existed though. There's a possibility that Hercules was; I have a comic book from the 60s where he fights the Hulk.

@pcn24454 said:

In the first issue, he was able to take on the entire Fantastic Four and win. Maybe it's just that their power levels increased but his didn't.

That was a really, really, really stupid part of the story. Anyway, he was able to win because he took them quite by surprise; they didn't really know who he was.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62: Definitely before Colossus. And I believe they were only counting heroes, so Juggernaut probably wouldn't have shown up anyway. He might have existed, though. He showed up pretty early in the X-men. I believe it was issue 12 or 13. I don't believe Iron man was all that strong at the time. Certainly not a top contender.

And everyone's strength has grown highly since then, even Spider-man's. I believe in one old issue of Fantastic Four Stan said that the Thing's max was only 3 tons, which he's quite obviously surpassed by quite a bit. Note, I may be wrong about this. I'm not as up on old Fantastic Four as I am on Spider-man.

And during the Stan Lee era Kraven was stronger than Spider-man. So Spider-man has also "leveled up" quite a bit,

eclipter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vegandiet:

which comic does de break carbonadium in? i cant find it

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VeganDiet
    musa56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jj62: yup that is ture. it was before hercules,juggernaut,sentry and all those kinda characters werent around during that time. and also the fact that spider-man is stronger than luke cage as well.

musa56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

spider-man is very powerful. he can lift over 20 tons. before he was 10 tons, later he was a 15 toner briefly and then he lasted at a 25 ton base. he is stronger than what the creators say. he looks more of a 30 toner more like 50 tons to me. his feats are incredible. he even stated he had strength he doesn't now about like more than just the proportionate strength of a spider. he has lifted objects more than 100 tons before. he goes thousands of tonnes up in occasion. like in major problems and stuff like that.. he lifts objects 1000's of tones. he lifted a huge big portion of the daily bugle building.. that was like 100 tons.. he lifted rubble.. that is like 65 tons.. he landed a jet on his back.. that is like 50-60 tons. i also remember he lifted a humongous portion of an entire underground train station. that was like 1000's of tons. he even lifted under-ground tunnels and huge underground lairs which are like 1000's of tonnes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.