Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man's defining moments?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I'm talking about like when he told off Thanos to save the life of a little girl.

I've never read a Spider-Man book in my life. So if you have any recommendations, I'm interested!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I highly recommend Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man. It is one of the greatest series Marvel has released - EVER.

There's also Bendis's New Avengers - which highlights Spider-Man in a very positive way.

Also, JMS's run on Spider-Man is great too. It runs from issue 30 of Spider-Man volume 2 and ends at #543 before the god awful and worst Spider-Man story - One More Day . It should be noted that volume 2 eventually goes back to it's original numbering at around 45 to issue 500.

There's also the Ben Reilly Epic / Clone Saga -- which eh gets mixed reviews -- Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man: Blue ... and ... I'll have to get back to you on this. But perhaps @punyparker can help.

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
    TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Amazing Spider-Man #33.

Nuff Said.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Start with the first 160 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. Its accessible and modernizes a lot of the concepts very well and is basically the best Spider-Man run ever imo.

After that you can go back and read some of the 616 stories.

• Kraven's Last Hunt
    • The Night Gwen Stacy Died
    • Spider-Men
    • Spider-man: Blue
    • Death of Jean DeWolfe
    • Back in Black
    • Maximum Carnage

There's a bunch more stuff, but that's all I got off the top of my head right now. I also personally love any time Black Cat is interacting with Spidey as its super fun. Oh and Venom.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I highly recommend Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man. It is one of the greatest series Marvel has released - EVER.

There's also Bendis's New Avengers - which highlights Spider-Man in a very positive way.

Also, JMS's run on Spider-Man is great too. It runs from issue 30 of Spider-Man volume 2 and ends at #543 before the god awful and worst Spider-Man story - One More Day . It should be noted that volume 2 eventually goes back to it's original numbering at around 45 to issue 500.

There's also the Ben Reilly Epic / Clone Saga -- which eh gets mixed reviews -- Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man: Blue ... and ... I'll have to get back to you on this. But perhaps @punyparker can help.

You covered it preety much.
    You can add Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 by Matt Fraction which highlights Peter's relationship with Mary Jane in a fantastic way,and of cource Mark Millar's story in Marvel Knights:Spider-Man!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@tifalockhart: If you can tell me what sort of storylines you enjoy I can give you some recommendations as not all stories are for everybody and what I think is great might differ from you :)

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@tifalockhart: Hmmmm spring to mind

• The Boy Who Collects Spider-man
    • Death Of Jean Dewolff
    • Transformations, Litteral and Otherwise #471-476
    • Back In Black
    • Kraven's Last Hunt
    TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you read "the boy who collects spider man" be ready to shed some tears.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

if you read "the boy who collects spider man" be ready to shed some tears.

dude was that the 700.x issues?

I was IN TEARS!!!!! Especially given the current status of Peter...

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By segamarvel

There was a time where Spidey fought a villain named Psycho-Man. His main weapon is an emotion-controlling device that projects a ray capable of stimulating the centres of emotion within a person's brain. The device has settings allowing it to produce fear, doubt, and hate, which he can induce for whatever duration and intensity he desires. Though the limits of this device are unknown, he can induce a condition of fear capable of triggering hallucinations and even trigger death due to heart strain. But Peter managed to overcome this. He may doubt himself but he doesn't let that stop him from doing what needs to be done. He gets shit done whether it ruins his life in the process or not. That's just the kind of hero he is. Sorry if it's a little out of order.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's moments like this that say THAT"S what Spidey's all about.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Spider-Man's defining moments lets see there's: the second clone saga, OMD, BND, OMIT, Spider-Man 3, Alpha, Superior Spider-Man, The Ultimate Spider-Man TV show, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, yep MARVEL knows how to take care of their flagship character :P All of those things I just listed are an absolute disgrace to Spider-Man.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_need_a_horse: I thought this thread was supposed to be full of positive stuff. Plus in my opinion Amazing Spider-Man 2 is an ok game.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the first half of JMS's run before it went bad.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or is most of Spidey's moments revolve around lifting something really heavy?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Bezza
    No Caption Provided

@segamarvel:

Seems that way, as a skinny guy myself, I love those moments when a skinny guy like Spiderman pushes heavy objects...

I also loved this !

strejda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By strejda

@tifalockhart said:

I'm talking about like when he told off Thanos to save the life of a little girl.

I've never read a Spider-Man book in my life. So if you have any recommendations, I'm interested!

Uncles. That should be exactly what you are looking for. It's a short story where it's just Peter talking with Franklin Richards (son of Mr. Fantastic and Invinsible Woman) after death of his uncle. I believe it was colected in Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman vol. 4, but you can find it online.

As for just plain good Spider-Man stories, if you like old comics, I would recomend some of the original Stan Lee run, like Green Goblin Reborn! (the one where Harry Osborn became a drug addict) and Harry Osborn Saga by J. M. DeMatteis and his run on Spectacular Spider-Man (issues #178-200) in general, though lots of it haven't been reprinted as far as I know. Most of the Harry Osborn stuff should be in Son of the Goblin paperback.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.