Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17251 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man needs to be improved

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Too many half glass full titles and media that don't have a sure fire success. Also his main title is getting to be predictable now that they rebooted Amazing. I wouldn't be against a total reboot of 616 Spider-Man even as a teenager again.

I feel the Avengers hype will never go away as long as people get into that particular part of the franchise more than Spider-Man, so yeah.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:

As a teenager again??? No way. Why go backwards? Start a new title about Spider- Teen Boy, but "Amazing Spider-Man" is about an adult named Peter Parker aka Spider-MAN.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Someone who finally understands me. Everything, and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING about Spider-Man, right now, is SH!T. The comics, TV, movies and games are all f@#king garbage, with the single exception being Bendis' Ultimate comics series. Dan Slott needs to fired, Beenox needs to replaced and Ultimate Spider-Man (TV) needs to be cancelled.

I speak the truth.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

This fellow needs a horse.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

@joygirl Yeah, If you've got a horse I'd much like to have it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone who finally understands me. Everything, and I mean absolutely EVERYTHING about Spider-Man, right now, is SH!T. The comics, TV, movies and games are all f@#king garbage, with the single exception being Bendis' Ultimate comics series. Dan Slott needs to fired, Beenox needs to replaced and Ultimate Spider-Man (TV) needs to be cancelled.

I speak the truth.

Roughly,but overall,yes.

@joygirl said:

This fellow needs a horse.

It's sad that people who are in need of a horse,can't have it.
    What has this world become?

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Disagree with the OP completely. Obviously he hasn't read the Spider-Man comics from the 90s. The only real thing I think needs a reboot in the Spideyverse is the horrible cartoon. And a May Parker comic wouldn't hurt!

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many half glass full titles and media that don't have a sure fire success. Also his main title is getting to be predictable now that they rebooted Amazing. I wouldn't be against a total reboot of 616 Spider-Man even as a teenager again.

I feel the Avengers hype will never go away as long as people get into that particular part of the franchise more than Spider-Man, so yeah.

no. just no.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love reading everyone's over the top Slott hate. You guys act like he put out another Clone Saga or One More Day.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love reading everyone's over the top Slott hate. You guys act like he put out another Clone Saga or One More Day.

It's not that far off those books.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he wrote a story about the bad guy winning for once, and upon pete's return opened a whole new window of stories. Where exactly was spider-man going before that..nothing was happening really. The only down side is it seems no one can think of a story about spider-man without making his life garbage and terrible.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By magnetic_eye

@w0nd said:

@lateralus said:

he wrote a story about the bad guy winning for once, and upon pete's return opened a whole new window of stories. Where exactly was spider-man going before that..nothing was happening really. The only down side is it seems no one can think of a story about spider-man without making his life garbage and terrible.

It's not Slott hate at all, it's not personal. It's the way Spider-Man is being written. It's his execution and style of writing. Having my intelligence insulted by dumbed-down dialoge, major character flaws, plot holes, nonsensical storylines. It's the whole regressive throwback to a younger (out of luck) Parker instead of a truly Amazing Spider-MAN. It's the lack of mature storylines, substanstial plots and depth of character development.

I couldn't care less about a whole new window of stories stemming from the Inferior Spider-Man fallout. It's like watching a really bad Saturday morning kiddies cartoon. This current Spider-Man is on equal footing with or if not worse than Clone Saga & One More Day.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott is great and One More Day was amazing. Just because it took MJ away from peter doesnt mean it was bad

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Agreed. And I want JMS writing him again but he is working om Superman E1 vol3 as I've heard

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: Agreed. And I want JMS writing him again but he is working om Superman E1 vol3 as I've heard

JMS did what he did.
    Matt Fraction could be perfect.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye Wow, I couldn't have put it any better, very well said.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: What did Matt Fraction write ? I could pick it up.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

wow, so suddenly the world is awash with angst ridden Spiderman fans who hate everything Spiderman related. I give up with CV some times I really do.

As someone coming back from a long break away, I am enjoying the Slott stories, we have a massive blockbuster film out every few years or so, we have an alternative spiderman in Miles Morales, tv shows, amazing realistic computer games...its not a bad time to be a Spiderman fan really it isn't... I assume a lot of you weren't around in the late 70s when one comic and a crabby TV show with woeful effects and a weedy Spiderman was your lot.......

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

wow, so suddenly the world is awash with angst ridden Spiderman fans who hate everything Spiderman related. I give up with CV some times I really do.

Wow,what,why?......

And you can't blame people who grew up with the Raimi films,the 90s or the Spec series,and Bendis and JMS comics,who ask for more quality.....it's natural,and times change...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

I understand people loved the JMS run and Raimi films, but some of 'em are so whiney they come across like spoiled kids. Take a step back and look at what we enjoy in 2014 which we didn't have 20-30 years ago...you're an older fan like me and we've never had it so good as comic book fans in general.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his comics are just fine now.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

I understand people loved the JMS run and Raimi films, but some of 'em are so whiney they come across like spoiled kids. Take a step back and look at what we enjoy in 2014 which we didn't have 20-30 years ago...you're an older fan like me and we've never had it so good as comic book fans in general.....

90s were horrible,yeah.............you should skip em,by the way.

But c'mon,if someone thinks that ASM2 is not what they thought it would be,and they want Slott off the book(like me) ,they will complain.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

Sure, people are free not to like ASM2 and Slott, but when people start saying things like "everything in Spiderman is s***" it gets my hackles up, because everything in Spiderman is definitely not S***

Anyway I've had a chill pill now....

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PunyParker

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Sure, people are free not to like ASM2 and Slott, but when people start saying things like "everything in Spiderman is s***" it gets my hackles up, because everything in Spiderman is definitely not S***

On that we agree.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comic is the only thing that matters to me, and the comic is fine.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By magnetic_eye

@bezza said:

@punyparker:

Anyway I've had a chill pill now....

No, not everything with Spider-Man is s***. I was around in the 70's. I started reading Marvel comics around 74-75 with Spider-Man being the first book I picked up. What I hate the most today is the fact that the main flagship title has regressed into a style that does not contain mature intelligent stories, nor depict an adult Peter Parker who has overcome his teenage inadequacies. It's the old (down on his luck) Parker with the SSM fallout.

As a long time reader, I would like to relate to this character again. I want to rejoice and share in his triumphs, see him overcome and be victorious over what life can throw at you. I want to see him as a mature adult dealing with real world life issues combined with the fantastical super-hero world he lives in. "Amazing Spider-Man" should be a mature progressive book, not a regressive throwback to some of the sillier story concepts of yesteryear.

What I don't want is the current bordello of a cartoon soap opera with 8th grader dialogue.

As far as the movies go, I think the currrent ones are a slight improvement over Raimi's trilogy, but they still miss the mark by a long shot. Just imagine how much better a Marvel Studios' production of Spider-Man would be.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@magnetic_eye: Don't you think they should get a different cast also? Not everyone is fond of this guy.

And the movies aren't grossing as much as the Raimi films so far.

My opinion: They need to reboot it clean when it goes back to Marvel.

For sure, I definitely think a new cast and complete reboot should be in order if the Spider-Man film rights revert back to Marvel.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye:

That's fair enough and I haven't read enough current spiderman to really comment yet, and you obviously have read a lot of it and go back even further than me (I was just learning to read in 1974- lol..)....I was just a bit upset with the "everything about current spiderman" comment, because there's still plenty to enjoy spiderman wise, even if the comics aren't hitting the mark...

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@magnetic_eye:

That's fair enough and I haven't read enough current spiderman to really comment yet, and you obviously have read a lot of it and go back even further than me (I was just learning to read in 1974- lol..)....I was just a bit upset with the "everything about current spiderman" comment, because there's still plenty to enjoy spiderman wise, even if the comics aren't hitting the mark...

True, there's still a lot to enjoy about Spider-Man. Just recently picked up "Family Business" which is great, the ASM # 700.1 - #700.5 were good and I didn't mind Mark Kindt's Marvel Knights series, even if it was a little trippy.

Man! 1974, I was 10 years of age, lol........starting to feel old now. :-)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bezza

@magnetic_eye:

...10 years old eh? So big birthday for you this year. Don't worry I am only 5 years behind you, but good to see there's a few of us "ahem - more mature" readers on the Comic Vine. My teenage daughter thinks its all really sad that her dad spends so much time discussing super-heroes on here.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@magnetic_eye:

...10 years old eh? So big birthday for you this year. Don't worry I am only 5 years behind you, but good to see there's a few of us "ahem - more mature" readers on the Comic Vine. My teenage daughter thinks its all really sad that her dad spends so much time discussing super-heroes on here.

LOL!.............yeah my 10 year old daughter thinks the same thing. My 5 year old son on the other hand sees the different Spidey avatars on the forums and we inevitably end up looking up Spider-Man related stuff - usually toys or DVDs. :-)

In terms of big birthdays, I'm in denial even though it happened back in March. I wanna have regressive birthday parties from now on. :-)

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: You are the god of understanding about Spider-man comic books and movies better than we all do. I admire your genuineness. :)

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By magnetic_eye

@ascended:

Thanks for the compliment, but I wouldn't necessarily say I have a better understanding about Spider-Man. There are a lot of guys here who have a great knowledge of Spider-Man too.

We all appreciate Spider-Man in different ways.

I've just read a lot and have very strong opinions about the Spider-Man I would like to see revived with a mature more adult orientated perspective. :-)

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ascended

@magnetic_eye: I've just seen a few clips from TASM 2 that shows Andrew doesn't know when to separate Spider-man's characteristic away from Peter Parker, and I still do not get why anybody thinks Andrew Garfield is any better than Tobey Maguire. Tobey Maguire was Peter Parker as Spider-man too. And people say it's not Andrew's fault for being a bad Peter, it's the writers' fault. So why are people blaming Tobey for being a bad Spider-man when it's also the writers' fault too??

I'm near to the line where I want to stop being a Spider-man fan. I don't like Andrew Garfield for this role. I hope they reboot this as soon as they can.

Spider-man fans are being hypocrites right now. They don't know how to compare Tobey to Andrew. They compare them the wrong way most of the time.

To make matters sound worse, there are a lot of girls who are supporting Andrew for this role just because of his looks. I hate being a Spider-man fan right now. So much band wagoners who are liking it just cause of popularity and doesn't know anything about the character.

I'd rather take a nice, super-heroic Spider-man over an asshole Spider-man any day.

I haven't watched the movie yet and I'm already disappointed with what I'm seeing so far.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind him as a teen again. but fine with adult peter. loved him as mentor to alpha and think he should continue it. also feel he should be full-time an avenger. I don't think he needs gimmicks like Superior but his villains could use a boost in evil and more bosses like Kingpin if they're gonna keep their superstar streetlevel. DD/punisher get a pass at it because their night time/alley driven characters Spidey is very much in the daylight and feel that deserves to be fighting with the premiere team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.