Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man (Marvel) Cinematic Universe Discussion

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

If Sony are money motivated enough

They're DYING!!!......they're not money motivated!!...they're desperate for money to survive!

@punyparker: My hope is that at some point they will realize that they can make more money with more Spider-man films out which they could potentially do with a new cast a director for them no longer limiting themselves to a film every few years a retaining the Spider-man license for longer

I just want the rights to Marvel.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

@punyparker: Since when is Sony dying? This is news to me lol but if the rights went back to Marvel that would be awesome.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@strider92: Their movie division is dying, it almost his bankruptcy. They hadn't made a lot of money out of them after Spider-Man 3, it's another part of why they rebooted. Other than that their fine.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By Ascended

@ninjablade09: They should've returned it back to Marvel after Spider-man 3 was done anyways.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Their movie division is dying, it almost his bankruptcy. They hadn't made a lot of money out of them after Spider-Man 3, it's another part of why they rebooted. Other than that their fine.

Well,yeah,it's a massive company....

@punyparker: Since when is Sony dying? This is news to me lol but if the rights went back to Marvel that would be awesome.

The movie division is ,practically,living by Spider-Man.
    They rebooted it ,partly for not to lose the rights.......cuz Spidey is the only one who is keeping them alive.
    That's probably why the movies are not spectacularly amazing.....

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Though they did drop in basic sales in 2012 a little.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By PunyParker

@ninjablade09 said:

Well,yeah,but "Sony Pictures" is banrupting.....dropping in sales and bankrupting is a whole lot different.

---------------------------------

Arad said one VERY important thing......you know how he always says "Spidery wont play with Tony Stark,like ever" well,in an interview,2 months ago,he said that again,but added... "at least we dont want him to do it....i dont know what the company will do....." and it's VERY important.....because we already know that Dysney had a say at the character designs and costumes,cuz they have the merchandizing rights,and they would profit from the toys.....we dont know how Sony will treat Spider-Man ,with Dysney....

--------------------------

And my basic and only opinion on the movie is.....

It does a lot good,and it does a lot bad.That's it.

So people won't call me a Spider-Man hater anymore.......who,me(!).....

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Ninjablade09

@punyparker said:

@ninjablade09 said:

Well,yeah,but "Sony Pictures" is banrupting.....dropping in sales and bankrupting is a whole lot different.

Yeah but their sales drop required them to layoff like 10,000 workers.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Ascended

@punyparker: At least Tobey's Spider-man got a lot of support. The reboot has really divided the audience. It should've went back to Marvel after Spider-man 3, not rebooted.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By Bezza

@punyparker:

Where is your review? I never know where to find reader reviews that aren't on the main forum!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By PunyParker

@ninjablade09Yeah but their sales drop required them to layoff like 10,000 workers.

And i guess that included Sony Pictures workers.

@ascended said:

It should've went back to Marvel after Spider-man 3, not rebooted.

Yes.
    A million times, yes.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By PunyParker

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 #1 movie in the world

Um....F8ck yeah,i guess...(?) ...

It is making more money than any other movie right now,but.....it's only natural.....

----------------------------------------------

Recently, Avi Arad ("The Amazing Spider-Man 2"), former Chairman/CEO of Marvel Studios, has been seeking credit for launching the Marvel cinematic universe. A source for Latino Reviewhas new details about Arad's efforts to reacquire Iron Man.

In the past week, Avi Arad vented his anger over a Businessweek.com article that placed most of the credit for Marvel Studios success on Kevin Feige, the current president of Marvel Studios. He especially didn't like being described as someone that doubted Marvel's strategy to leverage film rights of their characters for a half a billion dollar loan, which went to making Marvel's first films. He responded with an email (click here) and even sent out some additional comments to Deadline:

“We had a list of titles, but the slate didn’t have Iron Man or Hulk, and I had a very tough time getting Iron Man back from New Line, but we got it back. I always loved Iron Man. I left because I wanted to leave. It was nothing other than it was time to go. The company was growing and I didn’t like committees and I was 60 and was doing well as it was. I took a walk and thought, ‘I’m too old for this.’ And I thought if I keep nothing but Spider-Man, I will continue with Marvel, but I can do other things. I wanted to do other things … and I am now. The company is in good hands with Kevin who doing a great job.” - Avi Arad

Producer Avi Arad certainly loves taking credit for the Spider-Man, Blade and X-Men films, yet you don't hear much from him about Daredevil, Hulk, Elektra, Punisher, the Fantastic Four films, Ghost Rider and Man-Thing. Let's not forget, Avi wants all of you to know instrumental he was in reacquiring the film rights for Iron Man from New Line, but is that even deserved? A source for Latino Review shines some new light on those dealings.
    "Let’s be clear here. Arad was happy to renew Iron Man with New Line for a total of FOUR years. He was happy with a script by Tim McLanies in which Iron Man was dressed by his toaster. He sat in meetings with Bob Shea who insisted that Iron Man not fly and he was okay with that. His vision for Iron Man was to try to pretty much do anything Shea and Emmerich wanted to do. So how did he get it back from them when the new opportunity arose? Simple. He lied. He lied to New Line and Emmerich for months telling them that they were in negotiations for an extension, leading them to believe the project was going forward, then on the day the option was up he pulled it. Arad so baldy and boldy lied to everyone back in those days, it’s astonishing he wants the unearned credit now. Track record? Outside of Marvel that consists of the Bratz movie. Feige was and remains the waterboy, that was clear then and now, but to talk about “forgiving” Kevin is just hilarious."

GET
    OFF
    SPIDER-MAN!!!!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: So wait Arad lied to New Line for months that they were going to renew the rights, but when the time came to get it back he didn't renew the contract? Am I missing something? He should get all the credit he deserves. To lie for months to acquire the property that launched the MCU and to say he doesn't deserve credit is completely wrong.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: So wait Arad lied to New Line for months that they were going to renew the rights, but when the time came to get it back he didn't renew the contract? Am I missing something? He should get all the credit he deserves. To lie for months to acquire the property that launched the MCU and to say he doesn't deserve credit is completely wrong.

Lie is bad.
    I thought you went to school,mate... .( :P )

And don't defend Arad,he has done some horrible stuff......

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I will never defend what Arad had done to some of the characters, but he deserves credit whether people like it or not. Had he not lied the Iron Man movie by New Line would have been on the fast track and been really bad. People are missing that. I didn't condone what he did, but it would be wrong of me to say it wasn't a good thing.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: I will never defend what Arad had done to some of the characters, but he deserves credit whether people like it or not. Had he not lied the Iron Man movie by New Line would have been on the fast track and been really bad. People are missing that. I didn't condone what he did, but it would be wrong of me to say it wasn't a good thing.

He deserves credit for keeping Marvel alive and creating Marvel studios.
    That's it,from me.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By PunyParker

@ascended said:

@ninjablade09: What kind of "horrible" stuff has Arad done?

Daredevil,Man -Thing,Blade,Hulk,Elektra,Ghost Rider,Fantastic Four,and most of all,he ruined Spider-Man for lots of people with Spider-Man 3.

But im sorry,it's @ninjablade09 question.....i apologise

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjablade09 said:

That's it,from me.

That's all the credit he deserves and that's all he was going for. From what I've read he wanted credit for getting the MCU on board.

@ascended said:

Daredevil,Man -Thing,Blade,Hulk,Elektra,Ghost Rider,Fantastic Four,and most of all,he ruined Spider-Man for lots of people with Spider-Man 3.

Blade is good, and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjablade09:

I liked the FF too, well the Silver Surfer one, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I like the Surfer as he is a dude of dudesque proportions..

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@jwalser3 said:

@yung_ancient_one:

My list has Kraven but I would prefer Anna over her dad but I'd like to see either Kravinoff in the film. Chameleon is an excellent choice given that he would be the most unique. I fail to see how Scorpion wouldn't be another wall crawler brawler like Doc Ock. I rather see some women in the Sinister Six is all. I want Shocker to come out in the opening scene but not as a member of the Sinister Six. I feel like Rhyno and Shocker are both the pawns of all of Spidey's rogues gallery. I aint MadAtCha tho

But would you really want to replace Kraven, just to get a multiple gender team? Some female villains would be cool. But Beetle, she just seems so obscure, IMO she would just be the less iconic member of the team.

Scorpion could be the wall crawling brawler, I wouldn't consider Ock to be a brawler. Maybe for some time he fights,but towards the end his whole plan was to get rid of Goblin and control the Sinister Six..That's how I'd like to see the movie play out. I always considered Ock more of a mastermind, than a brawler. And with what you're saying, we already would have a flying gadget person, Vulture.

Like I put in that one post,the rest of the Rhino fight should be in the opening, I guess Shocker could be like that as well. And maybe Black Cat could be on the team, but what would be her connection?

I just want to see more female characters in movies, cartoons, tv shows, comics, and et cetera. Therefore, yeah I'm down to replace Kraven for his daughter but I'd like to see either one really. I think Kraven The Hunter is a fantastic villain.

I agree on Ock being more of a mastermind than a brawler and I agree Beetle would be like the 3rd Arial gadget villain with Vulture and Gobby. However, Beetle would be the female villain which is what I'm mostly looking for. XP

Still, I agree Beetle wouldn't be much of a different element for the Sinister Six like Chameleon could definitely be.

I like Shocker, I do but I don't see him looking good in the big screen. I already seen Rhyno so I'm not eager in seeing him again.

I think Black Cat could be in the team and her connection could be working for Harry in ASM2 and being blackmailed to work for him in the Sinister Six film. i(+)

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@bezza: I cried a couple times watching the film so I definitely enjoyed it. It has its flaws and I wouldn't highly recommend anyone to go watch it but I enjoyed it. (+)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@ninjablade09 said:

That's it,from me.

That's all the credit he deserves and that's all he was going for. From what I've read he wanted credit for getting the MCU on board.

@punyparker said:

@ascended said:

Blade is good, and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better.

No,comicvine,NOOOO....not again.......(i didn't get a notification for this....)

Anyway...

When i said Blade,i meant Trinity.Although,I absolutelly adore Reynolds,no matter what you shmucks say,he's just unlucky with comicbook movies.

"and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better."

Look,what a coma"," can do.....I thought from this phrase,that you're aiming for an antithesis,but the 1st sentence was negative,and the second was negative too..... :P
    Normally,i thought would have been "and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better." or "and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom was good."
    But then i saw it again,and saw the "i did" in the middle.......if that "i did" was in coma's then all would have been clear to me....

Language is a fascinating thing.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better."

Look,what a coma"," can do.....I thought from this phrase,that you're aiming for an antithesis,but the 1st sentence was negative,and the second was negative too..... :P

Normally,i thought would have been "and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better." or But then i saw it again,and saw the "i did" in the middle.......if that "i did" was in coma's then all would have been clear to me....

"and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom was good."

What are you going on about man...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

Normally,i thought would have been "and while most people don't like FF I did, Doctor Doom should have been better." or But then i saw it again,and saw the "i did" in the middle.......if that "i did" was in coma's then all would have been clear to me....

If you can't understand,forget it.
    It's simple really,but anyway.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjablade09 said:

@punyparker said:

No, it's not that I don't get it. It's that it was so out of the blue. You started to sound like a college level British English professor in his 60's.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker said:

@ninjablade09 said:

@punyparker said:

No, it's not that I don't get it. It's that it was so out of the blue. You started to sound like a college level British English professor in his 60's.

I'm a math nerd who loves English.
    What's so weird?

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Ninjablade09
    Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

Well then, he's going to have to find a way how to compensate for them and make up for his mistakes.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Amazing Spider-Man 2' director Marc Webb on Gwen Stacy's fate in sequel: 'There's a cost to being a hero'

gwen-stacy-01.jpg

Image Credit: Niko Tavernise

Warning: If you haven’t yet seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2, then you should absolutely stop reading right now.

As many have predicted for nearly a year, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) does indeed fall to her death in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, much as she did in Amazing Spider-Man #121 – a comicwhich, appropriately enough, is known as “The Night Gwen Stacy Died.” But regardless of speculation and source material that dates back nearly four decades, some audiences were still shocked to see Peter Parker’s first love come to such a terrible end. “I’ve poked my head into theaters in L.A. for that moment just to hear people gasp,” director Marc Webb tells EW. “It’s fascinating. People just don’t believe it.”

Webb understands. He felt much the same way when Gwen Stacy was killed off in the comic. “It stayed with me in a profound way. It broke me. I was anxious and curious to explore it on the screen. From the very beginning I planned on doing it,” he says. “For me, everything in the movie was built around that moment. There’s a cost to being a hero.”

But there was another theme that greatly interested Webb: “[The movie] is also about time and about valuing the time you have with the one you love,” he says. He points out that the very first shot of the film is a ticking clock, and that its first line is Richard Parker saying, “I wish I had more time.” Time is the underlying theme of Gwen’s valedictorian speech, and her last fateful moments take place where? At a clock tower. “Ultimately, it’s not the Goblin that kills Gwen,” says Webb. “They’re fighting in the cogs, in the machinery of the clock tower, and Spider-Man puts his foot in between the cogs and literally tries to stop time. That’s what causes her death—his inability, despite his enormous efforts, to stop time.”

This is the stuff of classic tragedy. “It’s about trying to do good, and by virtue of trying to do good, bad things happen,” says Webb. “It’s what Oedipus does — he goes out and tries to save the city, and he ends up sleeping with his mother.” Webb laughs. “His efforts are noble! But the irony of it is that he causes damage by trying to do good. That is, to me, the most resonant thing of tragedy. Spider-Man is saving people and the world, but it’s at his own expense.”

Of course, it’s not so easy to sacrifice your very popular leading lady either. “I’m utterly aware of the consequences for us,” Webb says. “Emma is beloved, and that relationship is the heart of these movies. But that’s also why we couldn’t shy away from that. It has to have impact. It has to shock you. It has to be devastating. Anything else would be undermining the truth of it.”

As for Peter Parker, he’ll have another movie to work on healing. “It’s going to be really difficult for Peter Parker to move forward,” says Webb. “But that’s the challenge of it: How do you recover from that? That’s going to play out in the next movie.”

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By jwalser3

So is the Venom movie confirmed?

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Movie sucked big time i hope the next one is better :(

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

Yup along with Sinister Six.

Personally I want a Goblin movie with Phil Ulrich. He was the ONLY heroic Green Goblin, well actually only heroic Goblin in general, and it would give us a break from what appears to be nothing but villain centric movies.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By jwalser3

Movie sucked big time i hope the next one is better :(

Why did it suck?

Yup along with Sinister Six.

Personally I want a Goblin movie with Phil Ulrich. He was the ONLY heroic Green Goblin, well actually only heroic Goblin in general, and it would give us a break from what appears to be nothing but villain centric movies.

I thought Sinister Six was going to involve Spiderman as well.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

Yes.
    As is the SinSix one.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ign article

A comment often heard when it comes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that it’s too bad Marvel Studios doesn’t own the movie rights to Spider-Man and X-Men. For those that don’t know, the rights to make a Spider-Man movie belong to Sony while X-Men belongs to Fox (Fox also has Fantastic Four but that has yet to prove itself a hit). So as long as Sony and Fox keep making those movies, they retain the rights indefinitely. A lot of fans love the MCU featuring the Avengers and wish that Marvel’s other franchises were a part of it. While I think that it would be cool to see this on the big screen…

No Caption Provided

Coming to Theaters Never

...I am grateful that it’s currently not possible.

That might sound crazy, especially coming from a lifetime comic lover, but there’s a logic to my lunacy. Only so much time and money can be put into making superhero movies, so a cap exists to how many can be made each year, no matter how big a hit they are. This means that the resources available will go to the safest bets to be a success. As far as Marvel’s comics go, their most popular franchises had always been Spider-Man and X-Men -- it’s why they were sold off in the first place.

Now, if Marvel Studios had the rights to those superhero characters, then they would probably have never even considered making a Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man movie (which now both are slated for release). That’s why I’m glad they don’t have those movie rights -- it’s forcing them to dig deeper into their catalog of heroes that would have otherwise remained untapped.

From a comic reader’s point of view, the fact that Rocket Raccoon -- a wise-cracking raccoon with a machine gun -- is making it to the big screen, voiced by Bradley Cooper no less, is pure insanity. It’s like seeing your favorite obscure indie band suddenly make it big, dominating Top 40 radio and winning a bunch of Grammys (for me, that’s fun.). You thought you’d never see the day, but now you’re happy everyone else is into what you’ve known is cool all along.

No Caption Provided

I would go so far as to say that if Marvel Studios owned the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man, then the Avengers movie would have never been made. Could you imagine a world without what is arguably the greatest achievement in superhero movie history? Any way you shake it, Avengers characters just weren’t that popular before 2008 when Iron Man came out, but now everyone from Black Widow to Thor is a household name.

Marvel Studios took a risk to make that first Iron Man movie, and it paid off beautifully. But there was always the chance mixing a comedic star in a high-flying superhero movie could have failed -- that’s what we call Green Lantern -- and the entire MCU would have started and ended with that one flick. When spending millions of dollars to make a movie, studios don’t like risk, so it’s easy to imagine Marvel Studios continuing to crank out X-Men, X-Force, and X-Factor movies for years before even considering adapting their one comic about a dude who flies around in a robot suit. Even if they did eventually do an Avengers movie, it wouldn't have been the same: Wolverine would have been the main character.

Suddenly, it sounds pretty great that Marvel’s most iconic characters are spread out among different studios, each with their own plans. With Spider-Man and the X-Men being developed elsewhere, Marvel Studios can continue to dive deeper into their catalog to show general audiences what makes Doctor Strange so cool and, one day if we’re lucky, why Beta Ray Bill is the best character, like, ever.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By renamed040924

I hope they improve the OST, it's been pretty bad so far in both movies. I don't think either film had a single good song (haven't heard all of them, please prove me wrong)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Bezza

@amazingspiderman15:

I read that article and the author makes some good points. Marvel fans are SO lucky! They are getting to see a whole roster of characters that otherwise would never have made it to the big screen and maybe them not owning Spiderman and X Men characters is a part of that. I mean guardians of the Galaxy?!

Over at DC they did a bad job on the Green Lantern and he is like a major character, not a second or third tier character. They cant seem to do any successful solo movies apart from Superman and Batman, its a joke! Spiderman fans may pick holes in the likes of ASM2, but seriously guys we fans have NEVER had it so good. If you don't believe me, I wish I could take you in a time travelling machine back to my childhood years where there were NO Marvel films and just cheesy TV series' with nerfed Wonder Woman, Spiderman and Batman characters! Enjoy it whilst it lasts.....it wont be forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from the fact that a reboot was unnecessary, "The Amazing Spider-Man" was worse than Spider-Man. But "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was the worst of all Spider-Man movies that were made, even worse than Spider-Man 3. Marc Webb has worked hard to leave out all the important elements of a good superhero movie: epicness, entertainment and fun. If the sequels remain faithful to the predecessors, then Spider-Man is a goner.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended: Yeah he really doesn't show it too much,but it didn't effect this movie.I re-watched AMS2 again and it was a solid film 8/10 I really liked that fight between Goblin and Spider-man

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rotten tomatoes gave Spider-man 3 a higher score than The Amazing Spider-man 2

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu said:

Apart from the fact that a reboot was unnecessary, "The Amazing Spider-Man" was worse than Spider-Man. But "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was the worst of all Spider-Man movies that were made, even worse than Spider-Man 3. Marc Webb has worked hard to leave out all the important elements of a good superhero movie: epicness, entertainment and fun. If the sequels remain faithful to the predecessors, then Spider-Man is a goner.

Did we watch the same movie? ASM2 had epicness and with was fun. Care to explain why it was such a bad movie?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

@zardu said:

Did we watch the same movie? ASM2 had epicness and with was fun. Care to explain why it was such a bad movie?

There are some things:

1. The plot: The movie begins with a big action scene and then it gets boring. Everything revolves around the romance between Peter and Gwen. In between comes Harry, who does not fit into the story, everything is told too quickly. Spider-Man battles Electro (boring) and then against the Goblin (too little screen time). And the spider serum ... oh no ... bad idea.

2. The Villains: Electro acts not dangerous, he is more of an introvert, shy man who talks to himself and not really has a motif to be evil. In addition, he looks like Dr. Manhattan in a motorcycle suit. The goblin does not look good and appeared too late in the film. Rhino looks like a Transformer (completely missed). And he only appears at the end for a few minutes (too many villains for a movie).

3. Spider-Man: Somehow one do not know what the movie wants to be: a Raimi revival with little Webb? A comedy with bad jokes? The behavior of Spider-Man is arrogant (yes, I know that he is also arrogant in the comics), but it does not fit. Once the film is serious, then comically, then both. In addition, the new suit: it is strongly reminiscent of the Raimi suit, with the difference that the Webb suit looks like the one of a cosplayer.

4. The soundtrack: The beginning of the soundtrack sounds like the music from the TV news. And this theme is repeated too often. In short: the soundtrack is bad, it bothers.

There's more to say, but this requires a detailed review.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu: 5) Tobey was very used to the Spider-man role and the audience made him popular as an actor like that in the first place. Fans were expecting a 4th movie, not a reboot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascended said:

@zardu: 5) Tobey was very used to the Spider-man role and the audience made him popular as an actor like that in the first place. Fans were expecting a 4th movie, not a reboot.

Right! And it would have been best if the fourth part been made​​.

Ascended

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu said:

@ascended said:

Right! And it would have been best if the fourth part been made​​.

That, or they should've just given it back to Marvel after Spider-man 3 was done.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingspiderman15 said:

ign article

A comment often heard when it comes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that it’s too bad Marvel Studios doesn’t own the movie rights to Spider-Man and X-Men. For those that don’t know, the rights to make a Spider-Man movie belong to Sony while X-Men belongs to Fox (Fox also has Fantastic Four but that has yet to prove itself a hit). So as long as Sony and Fox keep making those movies, they retain the rights indefinitely. A lot of fans love the MCU featuring the Avengers and wish that Marvel’s other franchises were a part of it. While I think that it would be cool to see this on the big screen…

No Caption Provided

Coming to Theaters Never

...I am grateful that it’s currently not possible.

That might sound crazy, especially coming from a lifetime comic lover, but there’s a logic to my lunacy. Only so much time and money can be put into making superhero movies, so a cap exists to how many can be made each year, no matter how big a hit they are. This means that the resources available will go to the safest bets to be a success. As far as Marvel’s comics go, their most popular franchises had always been Spider-Man and X-Men -- it’s why they were sold off in the first place.

Now, if Marvel Studios had the rights to those superhero characters, then they would probably have never even considered making a Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man movie (which now both are slated for release). That’s why I’m glad they don’t have those movie rights -- it’s forcing them to dig deeper into their catalog of heroes that would have otherwise remained untapped.

From a comic reader’s point of view, the fact that Rocket Raccoon -- a wise-cracking raccoon with a machine gun -- is making it to the big screen, voiced by Bradley Cooper no less, is pure insanity. It’s like seeing your favorite obscure indie band suddenly make it big, dominating Top 40 radio and winning a bunch of Grammys (for me, that’s fun.). You thought you’d never see the day, but now you’re happy everyone else is into what you’ve known is cool all along.

No Caption Provided

I would go so far as to say that if Marvel Studios owned the rights to X-Men and Spider-Man, then the Avengers movie would have never been made. Could you imagine a world without what is arguably the greatest achievement in superhero movie history? Any way you shake it, Avengers characters just weren’t that popular before 2008 when Iron Man came out, but now everyone from Black Widow to Thor is a household name.

Marvel Studios took a risk to make that first Iron Man movie, and it paid off beautifully. But there was always the chance mixing a comedic star in a high-flying superhero movie could have failed -- that’s what we call Green Lantern -- and the entire MCU would have started and ended with that one flick. When spending millions of dollars to make a movie, studios don’t like risk, so it’s easy to imagine Marvel Studios continuing to crank out X-Men, X-Force, and X-Factor movies for years before even considering adapting their one comic about a dude who flies around in a robot suit. Even if they did eventually do an Avengers movie, it wouldn't have been the same: Wolverine would have been the main character.

Suddenly, it sounds pretty great that Marvel’s most iconic characters are spread out among different studios, each with their own plans. With Spider-Man and the X-Men being developed elsewhere, Marvel Studios can continue to dive deeper into their catalog to show general audiences what makes Doctor Strange so cool and, one day if we’re lucky, why Beta Ray Bill is the best character, like, ever.

I have to agree. Actually at this point the ONLY characters I want to see back over at Marvel is the Fantastic Four. And even then I'd be fine if Marvel ended up selling them off to Sony, at least that way we get Spider-Man and the FF together which is something I've always wanted to see live action.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu said:

Spider-Man: Somehow one do not know what the movie wants to be: a Raimi revival with little Webb? A comedy with bad jokes? The behavior of Spider-Man is arrogant (yes, I know that he is also arrogant in the comics), but it does not fit. Once the film is serious, then comically, then both. In addition, the new suit: it is strongly reminiscent of the Raimi suit, with the difference that the Webb suit looks like the one of a cosplayer.

When was he arrogant in this movie?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ASM2 lost to neighbors this weekend and with the upcoming competition Godzilla,Days of Future Past I have a feeling it'll end up making not much more than the previous film did depending on how long it stays in theaters

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.