spider-man has officially become nothing more than a toy catalog

#1 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

In the new ASM 682, spidey leaps out on a spider glider (can't deny the ring to it) throwing spider-bombs, several pages later he throws on a new suit. before that he was in a space suit, and long before that...he drove a car up walls. and that went soooo well. spidey has become nothing more than a marketing tool. marvels a pimp and spidey is officially their go to prostitute. I like the interesting inventions, but mostly its just to make money on toys, like that stupid iron man show when I was a kid, where he had like 60 suits and only 3 were necessary. does this bother you?

#2 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

this same exactly argument could be made for batman and his gadgets, iron man, and the various colored lantern

#3 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91: Now i havent read ASM 682, but i would agree if it was written badly, like if the gadgets was random thrown in just to get some marketing possibilities ''trololol, lol Spider-Man needs to cross town... lol bro, lets give him a Spider-Glider'', if thats the case im against it, its just childish and stupid.

@aaunderoath: Well... Gadgets for Batman is what super strenght is for Superman, what web is for Spider-Man, what Fire is for the Human Torch, so im not agreeing there. Plus as i said above if its written proberly then im fine with it, just like im fine with the other colored lanterns (Blackest Night etc.)

#4 Posted by aaunderoath (165 posts) - - Show Bio

well played well played

#5 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

I see it as more of Peter finally using his brains...his villains have always had superior tech and now he's stealing it and improving it to make himself a better Spider-man

#6 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

GRRRRAAAWWWWHHHHHH MTHARMAN GO AND SMASH PUNY MARVEL!!!!!!!

.....after I get my new Spiderman statue with him in a Fantastic Four costume.

#7 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of my favorite properties have been based explicitly on toy lines. This is not a problem necessarily.

#8 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Yeah, the whole thing with the armor was pretty cool too, you have to admit.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So? It's one of Marvel's best books at the moment. And Slott may be doing gimmicks, but dammit, he's doing it with style.

#10 Posted by Super_Gui_1 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

I found the suit to be pretty epic.

#11 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Riiiight, Spider-Man is Marvel's "prostitute" because he keeps making new tech.... I mean, why use your genious level intellect on something useful like new equipment and suits to fight enemies and take advantage of their weaknesses when you can just keep using the same tattered cloth spandex?

#12 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, have you ever seen the toy tie ins for a superhero movie? You get fifty kinds of Batman from submarine style to parachute to volcanoe blaster all with The Dark Knight slapped on the box. We all no batman didn't have a submarine or shoot lava in the movie. Hell, I'd be half surprised if there wasn't a spider glider toy years before this comic. Comics have relatively low circulation compared to toys. I think things like what's going on in ASM 682 is going on because the writer thinks it's neat, not because marvel gave him some mandate to try and merchandize.

#13 Edited by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I, for one, eagerly await the 616 debut of Spider-Man Fisherman!

#14 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was random but I liked it the bombs made his crime-fighting easier and more effective (like the freezey thing 3000 which was originally used to subdue Hydroman, same with his magnetic webbing and new suits). If you're going to be annoyed by his inventions you have to remember he INVENTED his web shooters, spider tracers, his spider light thing (he doesn't use it that often oh and he invented his actual webbing. The only reason he has been employing some gizmos/gadgets because he is working at Horizon ans has the resources and time he never had before, so get over it. I doubt Dan Slott creates these new gadgets and suits for Spider-Man with the goal of providing Marvel toys with "ammunition" to make more toys and he probably wouldn't get royalties or any sort of monetary bonus for his intellectual property.

@nonfiction91: Think before you write...I loved that Iron Man cartoon and all his unnecessary suits they were awesome!

#15 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nudeviking said:

that...is...awesome!

#16 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

@nonfiction91: Now i havent read ASM 682, but i would agree if it was written badly, like if the gadgets was random thrown in just to get some marketing possibilities ''trololol, lol Spider-Man needs to cross town... lol bro, lets give him a Spider-Glider'', if thats the case im against it, its just childish and stupid.

@aaunderoath: Well... Gadgets for Batman is what super strenght is for Superman, what web is for Spider-Man, what Fire is for the Human Torch, so im not agreeing there. Plus as i said above if its written proberly then im fine with it, just like im fine with the other colored lanterns (Blackest Night etc.)

your comment to aaunderoath was spot on. bats needs gadgets, and the GL corps using the ower of will as an energy source had people itching for a verylong time why other emotions coudlnt be utilized.

@fACEmelter88: your thinking too in character. The fact is slott is an employee at a company that derives most income from merchandise based on thier characters. Is the guy a sell out? no. Does he have to answer to someone about revenue? yes. I won't deny they fit it into the story perfectly, and sold the ideas well, but it just means they executed the plan the same way a good commercial makes you want the product, your honestly blind to the fact your one of the guys who falls for it. What he gets out of it is irrelevent if it was a crappy writer, the execution still wouldve been made, just horribly.

and I do...That show sucked. no story to it, even when I was like 8 I thought it was crap. hawkeye, spider-woman and stilt-man? not suprisingly, so did alot of people...hence two seasons...think before YOU write

@Onemoreposter: nice name lol. but yeah, I think me and you can meet in the middle on that. I think Slott is a great writer and he DID have fun with this, but still, marketing is involved to say it isn't, that its JUST for the reader is naive, especially if you believe the company that is marvel is here for you. their not. their here for your money and to entice you to give up as much as possible

#17 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

aaaand to cement my theory, ladies and gentleman we bring you the spider-bike

which draws itself as purposeless thank you and goodnight

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12694 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: wait...what were those toys...I recall having one of those as a child, Dino Riders?? I think I had the Pterodactyl...memories
#19 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@fodigg: wait...what were those toys...I recall having one of those as a child, Dino Riders?? I think I had the Pterodactyl...memories

Hell yeah, Dino-Riders were the best. And apparently the molds they used were ultra-detailed, and so got re-used for many different Dinosaur-themed toys. Supposedly—source is wikipedia so take with salt—the dinosaur character from Toy Story was designed around the T-Rex mold originally from Dino-Riders.

#20 Posted by Shawnbaby (10622 posts) - - Show Bio
@nonfiction91 said:

aaaand to cement my theory, ladies and gentleman we bring you the spider-bike

which draws itself as purposeless thank you and goodnight

What happens in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon really has no bearing on the rest of your argument. It's about as far removed from the comics as can be.
#21 Edited by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: ...Yes it does. their linked by character rights, if the comics' toys sell so will the cartoons and vice versa. Its meant for kids, so if the show gets big, any toy related to spider-man as an image will get sold... including anything from the comics. Just like how some people got into the comic only after the movie. far a[part from each other? They couldn't be closer unless they were combined.

#22 Posted by Shawnbaby (10622 posts) - - Show Bio
@nonfiction91: In that case the comics haven't "become" anything...Toy companies have been doing that forever. At least now maybe the toys will actually be based on something from the comics.
#23 Posted by Nudeviking (479 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@nonfiction91: In that case the comics haven't "become" anything...Toy companies have been doing that forever. At least now maybe the toys will actually be based on something from the comics.

Like the Spider-Mobile?! Yes! Can we get it scaled to the Marvel Universe figures? My Golden Age Captain America and Power-Man version Luke Cage would look awesome in it!

#24 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby: My point is at the end of what you said. the comics are now based off of the toys not the opposite which they should be. Toy companies have always tried to focus comics and shows on products, now instead of ads their throwing their ideas and toy designs right in with the art and story, which the writers and artists don't have a say to deny working on.

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12931 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I had a spider bike toy when I was a kid. It was awesome

#26 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

@Nudeviking said:

that...is...awesome!

I can top it.

#27 Posted by The_Tree (7281 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Lol, I had a spider bike toy when I was a kid. It was awesome

:o So did I, I also had a Spider-Man to accompany it.

He and ScuBatman often had team ups. Although none of the missions took place underwater.

#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Also the OP is hilariously wrong and all that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.