Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man from the ground up

vuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vuki

I read Spider-Man comics as a kid, like most of us did, but stopped doing so in Junior school. I grew up with him being my #1 hero, and with recent buzzing and hyping up for the next movie, due out in July, I decided to learn Peter Parker (now, I deny the existence of Morales) and everything Spidey from the inside out.

What is your respectful opinion on how I should read the Spider-Man comics, chronologically speaking?

There's The Amazing Spider-Man, The Astonishing Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, The Ultimate Universe, Spider-Man, The Spectacular Spider-Man and much more - and I want to read them all. What's the best way to do it? Maybe this topic will help someone else to brush up on their Spidey knowledge as well. Keep the suggestions coming.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By mewmdude77

@vuki said:

I read Spider-Man comics as a kid, like most of us did, but stopped doing so in Junior school. I grew up with him being my #1 hero, and with recent buzzing and hyping up for the next movie, due out in July, I decided to learn Peter Parker (now, I deny the existence of Morales) and everything Spidey from the inside out.

What is your respectful opinion on how I should read the Spider-Man comics, chronologically speaking?

There's The Amazing Spider-Man, The Astonishing Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, The Ultimate Universe, Spider-Man, The Spectacular Spider-Man and much more - and I want to read them all. What's the best way to do it? Maybe this topic will help someone else to brush up on their Spidey knowledge as well. Keep the suggestions coming.

I'd say if you're jumping back into Spidey comics, and want to know all you missed, then start at Avengers Dissamebled, which was a big event, way back from 2004. It's where Scarlet Witch kills three major Avengers, and the Avengers disband. Then read New Avengers, which is where Peter actually joins the Avengers. Then House of M. Then, read Civil War, which is a very important event, and started the bad path for Peter. I won't tell you what he does, but I'll just tell you it leads to one of the most hated Spider-Man arcs is his entire history. Then I'd tell you to read OMD, OMIT, and Back in Black, if you want to get a feel of what is sort of going on with Spider-Man right now. Then read World War Hulk, then Secret Invasion, and then Siege. Then I'd pick up Amazing Spider-Man starting with the issue where Dan Slott first takes over (Amazing Spider-Man #546) and just read through all the way to now, which includes Spider-Island, and the new Spider-Man arc, Ends of the Earth. Also, pick up Fantastic four #588 (where Johnny dies, and Peter takes his spot) to now. Don't look for Fantastic Four #588, it got changed to FF for Future Foundation, so look for it as FF #1 and read through to now.

If you want to skip the bull shit in OMD, and OMIT, just read from Amazing Spider-Man 546 to now. Dan Slott is great at writing Spider-Man, and will not disapoint.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

If you're not bothered about learning everything you've missed then do what mewdude77 and read from Amazing Spider-man 546. Dan Slott is doing a great job!

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By mewmdude77

@Strider92 said:

If you're not bothered about learning everything you've missed then do what mewdude77 and read from Amazing Spider-man 546. Dan Slott is doing a great job!

Dan Slott is probably the second best Spider-Man writer in my opinion so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.