Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

From CBR - The Wrong Side

The Wrong Side: Black Cat vs. Sabretooth

In this feature, I examine comic book fights that were particularly notable in the wrong side winning (or at least that the fight wasn’t won the “right” way). This really isn’t a big deal, of course, as it doesn’t really matter if the “wrong” person won a fight. But it’s fun to talk about!

If you want to suggest a fight for future inclusion in this feature, drop me a line at bcronin@comicbookresources.com. Don’t suggest a fight in the comments!

This week, based on about a dozen suggestions, I’m featuring the time that the Black Cat kicked Sabretooth’s ass…

As always, the first page we look at their power levels and on the second page, we look at the fight itself.

Also, as always, we answer the age-old question – “How did they do when they fought Spider-Man?”

For a while there, Black Cat had “bad luck powers.” When she had “bad luck powers,” she was a threat to Spider-Man. But when she doesn’t, she isn’t. He could have beaten her pretty much any time during their first real battle in Amazing Spider-Man #195 (by Marv Wolfman, Keith Pollard and a bunch of inkers). He even kicked her butt while literally fighting her with only one good arm…

View Larger Image

spideycat1

-

View Larger Image

spideycat2

-

View Larger Image

spideycat3

-

View Larger Image

spideycat4

-

View Larger Image

spideycat5

-

View Larger Image

spideycat6

In Spectacular Spider-Man #116 (by Peter David, Rich Buckler and Bob McLoed), we learn that Sabretooth was trained as a killer by the mysterious Foreigner…

View Larger Image

toothforeigner1

Say…wasn’t Foreigner created by writer Peter David? You don’t say!

Anyhow, he goes to take out the Black Cat, but Spider-Man gets in his way and Sabretooth gets his ass kicked so badly you’d think that the Wasp was in town…

View Larger Image

spideytooth1

-

View Larger Image

spideytooth2

-

View Larger Image

spideytooth3

-

View Larger Image

spideytooth4

Okay, anyhow, Sabretooth was introduced as an Iron Fist villain…

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2a

-

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2b

-

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2c

-

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2d

And he eventually fought against Iron Fist AND Power Man, along side his partner in crime, the Constricter. Sabretooth and Constricter, the REAL dynamic duo!

View Larger Image

toothconstricter1

He actually only went after Black Cat because he and Constricter stopped being buds and Iron Fist and Power Man disappeared.

A couple of issues before he fought Black Cat, she gained new powers instead of her bad luck powers. She gained night vision and enhanced agility. But she did not gain super strength and she was still beaten soundly by the Foreigner…

View Larger Image

foreignercat

Right after the fight we’re going to spotlight between Sabretooth and Black Cat (like, RIGHT after it), Sabretooth made his way to Uncanny X-Men where he became Wolverine’s greatest nemesis…

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2e

-

View Larger Image

migrantvillains2f

And he has given Wolverine a hard time ever since.

But how did he do against the Black Cat?

Remember, it is important to note that Sabretooth was much less famous at the time, but still, he held his own against Iron Fist, so this is still kind of embarrassing (and I’m not talking about Black Cat’s bizarre mid-80s shoulder pads)…

View Larger Image

cattooth1

-

View Larger Image

cattooth2

-

View Larger Image

cattooth3

-

View Larger Image

cattooth4

-

View Larger Image

cattooth5

-

View Larger Image

cattooth6

Suffice it to say that I don’t think a Black Cat without bad luck powers should be able to kick Sabretooth’s ass that easily.

Claremont hated this fight enough that he planned to reveal that all of Sabretooth’s fights before he met the X-Men were actually weaker clones created by Mister Sinister, but he never got around to it (read more about it in this old Comic Book Legends Revealed).

Okay, folks, if you want to see a particular fight spotlighted, drop me a line at bcronin@comicbookresources.com!

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@theheaven_guardian10

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@animehunter: Τhat reminded me of her brief relationship with this stupid cat-like person i can't remember the name of.....GOD i hated that.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Comicbook.com

These Cool Posters Highlight Marvel Characters

UK-based graphic designer Jason Stanley has created a series of minimalist poster designs of 8 Marvel Comics' characters.

Each poster features the silhouette of a Marvel character -- Captain America, Doc Ock, The Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Punisher, Thor and Wolverine, their logo and a suitable background.

(via designfaves)

Check out our gallery below!

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can tell you that 95% of what you said, definitely hits the nail on the head on my thoughts, the 5% you already know, is to do with me not liking the idea of him having a global presence and only liking a certain parts of 648-700, for example I will admit I did like Grim Hunt, although it did include the death of Mattie Franklin - may she Rest In Peace, and yes he can most definitely be far more successful being Married to Mary Jane with a kid (a daughter of course).

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I'm of the same opinion as animehunter here. Joe Kelly's "Grim Hunt" was certainly a highlight for me too.

Oh! and kudos to blackspidey2099 & punyparker. Despite our differences of opinion, at the end of the day we're all Spider-Man fans and this remains a great forum to continue celebrating that. :-)

No Caption Provided

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Comicbook.com

These Cool Posters Highlight Marvel Characters

UK-based graphic designer Jason Stanley has created a series of minimalist poster designs of 8 Marvel Comics' characters.

Each poster features the silhouette of a Marvel character -- Captain America, Doc Ock, The Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Punisher, Thor and Wolverine, their logo and a suitable background.

(via designfaves)

Check out our gallery below!

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

Great looking silhouettes. The Incredible Hulk looks a bit puny though. :-) Would be cool to see them tackle more worthwhile villains.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I don't mind reading other's thoughts and opinions. Not at all. But here's the thing with you and others on this site, you don't want to have a real discussion. You tell people that like Slott's writing or the new direction/status quo of Peter that they don't understand Peter and that they aren't real fans or must be new fans. That's not listening to the other person't ideas. If your response would be something like "if you like Slott that's cool, I'm not a fan but I'm not gonna downgrade your Spider-man fandom just because you like something I don't" the I would never mess with you on this board. But you can't do that. If someone likes something that you don't, you lessen them and their ability to understand Spider-man... like you have the market cornered. Others in your camp do the same thing. I can't remember who it is, and I don't care enough to go back and search, is so silly that he says the current Spider-man isn't even the real 616 Spider-man and he's some Spider-man from a different timeline because he doesn't like the direction of getting rid of the marriage. Because that's the direction the editors went, his marriage fandom is the alternate timeline. It's all just silly. It's just a fictional character. Chill and relax.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You tell people that like Slott's writing or the new direction/status quo of Peter that they don't understand Peter and that they aren't real fans or must be new fans.

I never.Said that.To anyone.
    And will never, EVER do.

So that's compeletely unfair.

But, again, i have lost all hope with you, man......you come of, saying all sorts of insulting stuff directed at me, then you say "Relax, ts'all good i'm trolling, chill", and i accept that and say that it is, indeed, all good, but then you continue sayin insulting stuff!.....there's a different between trolling, and what you do/did more frequently than now.

So yeah, i really don't care what you say, anymore.
    You show up once in a month, splash your stingers, and go away.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12908  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter

@punyparker

No Caption Provided

Marvel's next event is Civil War II

Marvel To Publish Civil War 2 In Spring 2016

Posted October 5, 2015 by by Rich Johnston

9 Comments ForumOld Forum175374

Next year sees Captain America: Civil War.

We’ve just had a revival of Civil War under the Secret Wars event.

It’s not enough.

Retailer Ryan Higgins, of Californian comic store Comics Conspiracy got a postcard from Marvel.

So that’s Civil War 2 coming in the Spring of 2016, with Tony Stark fighting the new Captain America…

Unless it’s Doctor Doom under the armour, obviously.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why does civil war need a sequel? Civil war was awesome, it doesn't need a sequel though. Ugh "house of ideas"

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12910  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter

@punyparker

4Chan's Scanbro has leaked ASM#1 early

One of Peter's new inventions is "bug zapper" webbing...which can electrocute you

New characters include Lian Tang, Dr. Yao Wu, a returning Philip Chang, and Min Wei

Peter is finally over his "noone dies" mentality, realizing it was an impossible goal, but is still convinced he can save everyone. Bobbi laughs at this notion.

Peter creates the "Uncle Ben Foundation"

Still a lot of Slott's usual childish writing in here, Peter even attends his press conference with his fly open.

Hobie is posing as Spidey in San Franciso under Peter's instruction to help throw off any enemy suspicions

Peter and Hobie attend Max Moddel's wedding to his partner Hector. We learn Max is in charge of the West Coast operations for P.I. Peter rechristens the "Parker Institute For Technology" Horizon University.

Peter admits he's "terrible at weddings" so that pretty much confirms OMD/OMIT is still canon.

Max's wedding is gatecrashed by Zodiac. Hobie switches to Spider-Man and manages to crack even worse jokes than Peter.

Peter realizes Hobie is outmatched by Zodiac, so he encrypts the Webware device they are after and hands it to them.

Peter finally confronts Sanjani on her collaberations with Felicia and The Ghost and gives her a cautionary slap on the wrist.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: what?

prowler is going to pretend to be spidey? i don't think i like that

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@punyparker: I want the samething you do bro so very very very very much.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12914  Edited By magnetic_eye

@zarius said:

@animehunter

@punyparker

One of Peter's new inventions is "bug zapper" webbing...which can electrocute you

New characters include Lian Tang, Dr. Yao Wu, a returning Philip Chang, and Min Wei

Peter is finally over his "noone dies" mentality, realizing it was an impossible goal, but is still convinced he can save everyone. Bobbi laughs at this notion.

Still a lot of Slott's usual childish writing in here, Peter even attends his press conference with his fly open.

Hobie is posing as Spidey in San Franciso under Peter's instruction to help throw off any enemy suspicions

Peter and Hobie attend Max Moddel's wedding to his partner Hector. We learn Max is in charge of the West Coast operations for P.I. Peter rechristens the "Parker Institute For Technology" Horizon University.

Peter admits he's "terrible at weddings" so that pretty much confirms OMD/OMIT is still canon.

Max's wedding is gatecrashed by Zodiac. Hobie switches to Spider-Man and manages to crack even worse jokes than Peter.

Peter realizes Hobie is outmatched by Zodiac, so he encrypts the Webware device they are after and hands it to them.

Peter finally confronts Sanjani on her collaberations with Felicia and The Ghost and gives her a cautionary slap on the wrist.

Wow! so the goofy cheesiness remains very much intact. It all still sounds rather forced and terrible to me. Tried looking for the 4Chan leak but couldn't find it.

Anyway, one would've thought that naming a foundation after your uncle should include his name: Ben Parker. I wonder if Marvel made a sponsorship deal with Uncle Ben's Rice Company? :-)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12915  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter

@punyparker

@magnetic_eye

I went to bed before the scans were completed, but I did read spoiler chats on TV Tropes and learned of a few other things

The element that has carried over from Renew Your Vows is indeed The Regent.

And the cliffhanger is that the Living Brain contains the essence of Doc Ock, which virtually everybody in the fandom called from the get-go

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12916  Edited By The_Waffle

@zarius said:

@animehunter

@punyparker

That sounds even more pathetic then I thought it'd be.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over in the newspapers...

Earlier in the arc MJ said there was only two weeks remaining until the play reopened and that the cruise was going to take that long. Well the cruise ended up being abandoned and now she's back on stage. Either the theatre reopened early to help take people's minds off the impending Atlantean crisis or we've had a time skip

@animehunter

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12918  Edited By PunyParker

@zarius said:

Marvel To Publish Civil War 2 In Spring 2016

Ok, wow........Marvel, you HAVE money.....and you will gain money from te movie, you don't have to be so dep

@zarius said:

@animehunter

@punyparker

Peter is finally over his "noone dies" mentality, realizing it was an impossible goa

No Caption Provided

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12919  Edited By animehunter

After reading the leaked copy, I think I can say this with all honesty, I no longer have any interest in what's happening in the ASM books any more.

Well done Slott, you have taken something that has been great and turned it into something even more less than mediocre,

and that's not including how you ruined two that my favourite characters, Black Cat & Mary Jane. I can only hope that Silk and Iron Man fixes what you did to them, although with Black Cat after what I read in that interview about her becoming worse really doesn't fill me with much hope.

You had something great with RYV and the only thing you bought over from it was in all consideration the weakest part of the whole book.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

After reading the leaked copy, I can honestly and wholeheartedly say with zero doubt in my mind; As long as Dan Slott is writing Spider-Man, I will not invest in it. As long as Dan Slott is writing him, I'm done with my favorite character of all time.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the leaked copy, I think I can say this with all honesty, I no longer have any interest in what happening in the ASM books any more.

Then i'm the "bad guy" who knows this won't be good....

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12923  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter:I'm not very politically savy, but...yeah, that's very telling is'nt it? Dan tells others to take a running jump in the lake if they can't supply context, then that doesn't matter so long as it personally affects his political views. It's a coy little contradictory game he plays.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so i read the leaked copy and it was disappointing except for one thing

If regent is back, then maybe RYV peter and mary jane and annie could also come back

No Caption Provided

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12926  Edited By animehunter

@amazingspiderman15 said:

so i read the leaked copy and it was disappointing except for one thing

If regent is back, then maybe RYV peter and mary jane and annie could also come back

No Caption Provided

Somehow, I highly doubt it

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12927  Edited By animehunter

Here is an excerpt from the following CBR interview for the rest head here

From CBR

ZDARSKY & QUINONES BRING "HOWARD THE DUCK" BACK FOR MORE FOWL PLAY

If you're a down on your luck private detective in the Marvel Universe, you've got to be ready to follow a case to some pretty strange places -- like into outer space, or the den of villain that hypnotically transforms senior citizens into thieves, or into a pitched street battle between an alien invader and costumed heroes. In their recently completed volume of "Howard the Duck," writerChip Zdarsky and artist Joe Quinones took their lead duck to all of those places. Fortunately for Howard, he didn't have to go to there alone; he was accompanied on those cases by his new friend Tara Tam, a tattoo artist with no problem navigating the surreal and dangerous corners of the Marvel Universe thanks to the shape-shifting abilities she gained from eating alien-tainted food.

Zdarsky & Quinones Open "Howard the Duck" Investigations

This November, Zdarsky and Quinones bring Howard and Tara back for a new volume of "Howard the Duck" as part of All-New, All-Different Marvel that will once again find the fledgling gumshoes embarking on a whole new batch of weird, perilous and often silly adventures. CBR News spoke with Zdarsky about the new series, the cosmic adventure that kicks off the volume, Howard's team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy and the crucial role artist Joe Quinones plays in delivering the series' signature tone.

===

How are Howard and Tara when you pick things up with them in #1, which takes place after a time jump following the end of "Secret Wars"? Have things changed much for them since we last saw them, and are they interacting with any new supporting characters?

Tara's much more comfortable using her abilities now, which means she's more able to be thrown into crazier circumstances and revels in it. Howard, however, is at a low point. He legitimately feels like the universe is trying to kill him and is, frankly, growing tired of it.

And Aunt May has joined the cast! Howard clearly needed an office administrator, so she's come on to help out when she's in town from Boston. We're spending a fair amount of time in space for this volume, though, so we don't get to utilize her as much as I'd hoped. We also have Joe's cat Biggs in the office as a half-cat, half-robot, because Joe's cat is the best and we're drunk with low-level power.

Head here for the rest of the interview....

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: i doubt it also but I really hope RYV pete, mary and annie all come back, maybe when marvel said RYV is a building block for the new universe they meant Regent will become a main stay spidey villain.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: i doubt it also but I really hope RYV pete, mary and annie all come back, maybe when marvel said RYV is a building block for the new universe they meant Regent will become a main stay spidey villain.

While I do doubt I am like you, I want RYV Pete, Mary and Annie to appear, but also to replace what Slott created, so that they become the main book.

AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I do doubt I am like you, I want RYV Pete, Mary and Annie to appear, but also to replace what Slott created, so that they become the main book.

Agreed, they should be the main book and have a different writer.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter said:

Agreed, they should be the main book and have a different writer.

Oh, Most DEFINITELY a different writer.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow, I missed stuff huh. LOL

@punyparker Sorry for the delay mate, I've been busy! I can sit down now, so let me finally answer you.

@punyparker said:

Try to understand me, please.

1- You're a rational man, and you seem cool, as you don't look for a fight, so FINALLY i can talk with a person, without sarcastic comments, or an arguement.

2- So, to my initial point, try to understand me, i am a Spider-Man fan, i can't possibly want Peter NOT to be successful or to me a wimp.Logically, right?

But THIS approach is extremely OUT of character for him!......he's not a global entity, he's not a company owner, as a man, as a character!

Slott got it perfectly with the lab he was working in 2011, when Slott started writing the character solo, in Big Time.

3- It's out of character for him.

It just is.

4- And + Slott writing him, as he does, is something far from appealing to me.

I want mature writing, with compelling GROUNDED stories.

Because this is a GROUNDED character.

Even Spider-ClusterVerse was a big over-the-top.

5- Thank you for your potential understanding.

1- Thanks, man. And no worries, have no doubt that you can always have a polite discussion with me. :)

2- Sure, I get what you're saying there. That's fair.

My view is much like @blackspidey2099's when he said that it doesn't make any sense for Peter to struggle to get job. Allow me to elaborate a little.

His intellect is often compared to the likes of Richards and Stark. But he always lacked... Pretty much everything. Time, resources, and experience. Now he has all of those, so we can finally see what he's truly capable of. And hey, I love Spider-Girl and her universe, same for RYV, but I just can't see Peter settling for "just" a photographer, or working for the police, it never made sense for me. I mean, it did made sense on the beginning. He was just a kid, he needed money, etc. But when he's at it for 13+ years it just becomes beyond silly imo. Peter has always loved science. He gets lots and lots of money. He's now able to help more people than ever. I honestly don't see anything wrong. There's really no disadvantages, and it's a believable path for him.

Getting more into it, some people/heroes/villians/whatever often look down on him, think he's a joke, weak, loser, etc.

But we know that he's the greatest hero of all. We know that the nanosecond he's serious/pissed, you better run. We know that he can get hot chicks, hell, he's like a magnet to them. And of course, he married a supermodel... So in the end we can always say "Okay, he got screwed there, but we already saw and know what he's capable of".

But that's one thing we never saw the full extent of. And that we barely had seen before Big Time, since we're on that. I wanna see more and more of it, personally.

And I agree on Horizon Labs, but I have no problem with this status quo either. Since we're on that, Slott has proved that he can explore Peter's intellect well in these stories. Hell, I think he's the one who explored it the most.

If you want me to, I can go even further, but it's pretty much this for me.

3- I partially agree.

Also, I think this is kinda of the point. I'm almost certain that Slott said that because it's a position that he never was before it will lead to interesting stories, something like that. That means he will explore Peter not being used to this kinda of stuff. Slott also has a history with putting Peter as a leader and/or positions that he's not used to. Big Time, Spider-Island, Ends of Earth, etc. Even RYV, though it's an alternate Peter.

And I'd say it's not OOC in the same way that, like, Peter cheating on MJ would be. Like I said before, it's a believable path.

4- I can see why you think that way, sure. Not much I can say here, so this brings me to perhaps the biggest point of all, that I've been wanting to say. It all comes down to personal preference. I've seen, not just here, but people around the web that don't like that Peter is in a global level now. Sure, yeah, that's fair and I can understand why they think like that. Or, like people here have been saying, they simply don't like Slott's writing. That's fine too. Meanwhile there's people like me and others that DO like it. It all comes down to opinion.

I also have the writers that I'm not a fan of, books that I dropped (SSM included), etc. Hell, I dropped the whole marvel non-spideyverse to this day.

I understand your points and I hope you understood mine, even if we don't agree on the current direction of this book. So as long as we (I mean everyone here) don't disrespect each other, It's all good.

5- No prob at all.

So, in conclusion, and to add a few extra points:

I'm also a huugeee Iron Man fan, he's my favorite marvel character that isn't from the spideyverse, so I guess these kinda of stories appeal to me more.

I haven't seen the leaked issue, I'll wait until tomorrow, so I can't really say anything about it for now.

Finally, I didn't read all the talk you guys had, but I guess we can conclude that, in the end, it's all about opinion, correct? We're all spidey fans here. ;)

PS: Sorry about the long post. :p

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter said:

After reading the leaked copy, I think I can say this with all honesty, I no longer have any interest in what's happening in the ASM books any more.

Well done Slott, you have taken something that has been great and turned it into something even more less than mediocre,

and that's not including how you ruined two that my favourite characters, Black Cat & Mary Jane. I can only hope that Silk and Iron Man fixes what you did to them, although with Black Cat after what I read in that interview about her becoming worse really doesn't fill me with much hope.

You had something great with RYV and the only thing you bought over from it was in all consideration the weakest part of the whole book.

Sorry you feel that way, mate.

There's some hope with MJ I guess, but I think if/when Black Cat reverts it will be at ASM book, not Silk's. So that might take a while, unfortunately.

And about that last part, I haven't read the leaked issue but I guess I know what you're talking about... *sigh* We're in agreement on this one.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12934  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker Sorry for the delay mate, I've been busy! I can sit down now, so let me finally answer you.

No worries, i can finally stop crying. :P

1. Good.BTW for a long time, i thought you had Nightwing on your avatar....now i see it's May holding a baby.Weird how things turn out.
    2. Sure, i get it, and it's rational, and to be honest, i would be interested in this, if someone else rather than Slott would write.....because Slott already DID the "rich Parker" gig, and DID the "Parker Industries" gig too.And i know how he writes.And i know on what he's depending when he's writing.I didn't like it, and i don't like it.
    3. Spider-Island is an awful idea.I'm sorry.
      The genuinelly good story idea, and original at the time, was Big Time.I always gave props to Slott about this particular story.
    4. We basically don't agree on the main writer stuff, as you can see......that this direction, done properly, would be a cool idea, but with this writer helming the series, with his immature writing, and character handling, it's inevetable for me not to look at it with a "good" eye.
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker:

Haha yeah my avatar it's May and Benjy. ;)

I didn't mean Spider-Island quality (tho I do like it :p), just mentioned as an example of Slott putting Peter in unsual/important positions.
    And yeah Big Time is pretty cool, it was also one my first Spidey stories.

I see, I see.
    Your problem is pretty much the same one I have with Bendis, I get how ya must feel. Good concept, but bad execution by the writer, correct?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And yeah Big Time is pretty cool, it was also one my first Spidey stories.

Now i understand......my first Spider-Man issue is Ultimate Spider-Man #4, and from there on, Bendis is my fav writer.
    It sticks to your brain.

Your problem is pretty much the same one I have with Bendis, I get how ya must feel. Good concept, but bad execution by the writer, correct?

Yes, but Bendis has a good execution, his dialog is excellent.
    His concepts are weak, sometimes.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing Spider-man #1 was really good. I loved the addition of The Prowler it is cool that he is working for peter as a decoy Spider-man and it is good to see the Horizon labs team again, especially since now they are Woking with peter at Parker Industries. The issue was a little shaky in the middle put it picked up quickly. I can't wait for Issue #2

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: One of the firsts, bro. I'm past the bias phase. :p

My actual first was a randow Web of Spider-Man vol 2 storyline. And the first issue of Death of Spider-Man too, I bought them the same day.

Click for a fun backstory:

Then I read the Steve/Dikto issues until issue 20-something. I wasn't really feeling it so I changed to ult. spidey.

Theeeeeen I read a about 20/30 issues of ult spidey.

Only after all that I read Big Time, along with a Fear Itself tie in and a Civil War tie in. But it all happened real fast (two weeks at most) so I consider it to be one of the firsts, considering how long and how much I've read since them. :p Hey it was fun remembering that, good times haha.

And eh. Bendis used to be my favorite too, now I really dislike most of his work. Since we're on that Slott isn't my favorite either, I just like, again, most of his work. :)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12939  Edited By Zarius

I still like Bendis, but I can't stand him on team books. It's just not his area.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved ASM #1! After the mostly horrible run on ASM vol. 3, this looks like Slott is getting in the zone. I loved the part where Peter just threw the fact that he cured the Zodiac poison like it was nothing. And it's definitely cool that Peter is limiting his salary - it's something he certainly would do, and is a great touch from Slott. I didn't particularly like the "poor man's Tony Stark" comparisons, especially considering that Peter is smarter than him, but whatever. Considering it seemed to refer to Peter limiting his earnings, I'm okay with that.

Only 3 things: "Uncle Ben Foundation"? Seriously? It should probably be the "Ben Parker Foundation" but whatever.

Second - the fly joke? Seriously? We already had a naked joke in ASM vol. 3 #1...

The third thing is the biggy. Doc Ock turned good!!! Why the hell is he suddenly evil? (Unless I am misinterpreting it). I guess a Spidey vs. Doc Ock worldwide battle would be cool, but it was already kind of done in Ends of the Earth. Anyways, if Ock, or anything for that matter, ruins Peter's success, I will never forgive Slott. If Slott handles it well and has Peter beating Ock in a hard battle but without suddenly becoming poor again, or losing the company, that will be awesome to see though. Let's see what happens...

The other tie-in/spin-off stories weren't great though. And of course, we got to see Bendis wank his Miles again. Couldn't he have at least waited till his first issue? Does Miles have to be "Super Weak Hero with Invincible Venom Blast"? God. I remember back when I thought Miles was kinda cool...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12941  Edited By PunyParker

@amazingfantasy said:

You sound like a clickbait site.

"BRAD PITT IS GAY!!!!!.......(click for the full story)"

@amazingfantasy said:

And eh. Bendis used to be my favorite too, now I really dislike most of his work. Since we're on that Slott isn't my favorite either, I just like, again, most of his work. :)

Why, and why?

I mean, you just CAN'T deny he handles characters and especially dialog miles better than Slott does.......

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: maybe you know this, why does a kid with spider powers also have laser beam powers too? I don't get miles power set.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy said:

You sound like a clickbait site.

"BRAD PITT IS GAY!!!!!.......(click for the full story)"

@amazingfantasy said:

Why, and why?

I mean, you just CAN'T deny he handles characters and especially dialog miles better than Slott does.......

Heh, Miles. (am I the only one who sees the pun?).

I think I will deny. Sure, his dialog is netter on average, but he has no clue how to handle characters (Miles oneshotting everyone with Venom Stings, Peter the stupid comic relief guy in Avengers, Venom the cosmic hero, etc.). I think Slott's character work is a little better, and Slott's plots completely dominate Bendis.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@blackspidey2099: maybe you know this, why does a kid with spider powers also have laser beam powers too? I don't get miles power set.

Just Bendis and his wanking.

@animehunter New Spidey article on Marvel.com http://marvel.com/news/comics/25233/amazing_spider-man_goes_global

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The other tie-in/spin-off stories weren't great though. And of course, we got to see Bendis wank his Miles again. Couldn't he have at least waited till his first issue? Does Miles have to be "Super Weak Hero with Invincible Venom Blast"? God. I remember back when I thought Miles was kinda cool...

"Bendis wank his Miles again"? Bendis wasn't involved with anything in this book. Dan Slott and Christos Gage were credited as the writers for Miles' part; "The Cellar".

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I agree with everything @blackspidey2099 said.

But about the dialogue I must add that I dislike Bendispeak so much. lol Seriously, it bugs me to no end.

That being said when he goes into deep stuff (serious/emotionals talks), he does it well.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, Miles. (am I the only one who sees the pun?).

Pun acknowledged.
    I'm happy with myself.

I think I will deny. Sure, his dialog is netter on average, but he has no clue how to handle characters (Miles oneshotting everyone with Venom Stings, Peter the stupid comic relief guy in Avengers, Venom the cosmic hero, etc.). I think Slott's character work is a little better, and Slott's plots completely dominate Bendis.

1. To be fair, Miles is his character....whatever he does, is IN character, if it's written by him....
    2. I agree with you about Peter on the Avengers book....
    3. Not like anyone was doing anything with Venom......(same thing with MJ)
    4. Some of Slott's plots yeah, sure, have said it multiple times that Slott's problem is his dialog, his strong point is plotting.But no, his character handling is not good.Felicia, Mary Jane.....well, maybe female characters.
      Except Peter.
      For me, he doesn't write Peter well.
      It's no surprise that his best work on Spider-Man was when Peter wasn't in the book. (Superior)

And if you go ahead and tell me that he understands Peter, by mentioning responsibility every 3rd issue, that's not character understanding.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: There is no wanking. Miles is simply dat powerful.

... :p

Seriously though, like @amazingspiderdan said, it was Slott/Cage who wrote that.

Something I can live with, since Ox really isn't all that and Venom Blast has hurt Peter, and Slott already made Miles lose to Puma. Everyone was also kicking ass in this issue, so there's that.

But it's exactly THIS kinda of stuff that I don't want to see when Miles' books gets here. Just him pwning Peter's villians like they're nothing.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12949  Edited By blackspidey2099  Online

@amazingspiderdan said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

"Bendis wank his Miles again"? Bendis wasn't involved with anything in this book. Dan Slott and Christos Gage were credited as the writers for Miles' part; "The Cellar".

Oh well. We all know Bendis is going to do it by the first or second issue anyway, and you can't really blame Slott or Gage too much for following Bendis' lead, especially as it is his character. (BTW, it is really funny that your username contains "Dan" Slott when you are one of his biggest critics here - no offense or anything).

@amazingfantasy said:

@punyparker: I agree with everything @blackspidey2099 said.

But about the dialogue I must add that I dislike Bendispeak so much. lol Seriously, it bugs me to no end.

That being said when he goes into deep stuff (serious/emotionals talks), he does it well.

Yeah, he can write well at times, but he has so little grasp of character or plot (for the most part) that he alienates almost everyone. I definitely did enjoy his "Death of Spider-Man" story, and USM was pretty good too.

And while we're on the topic of first Spider-Man stories, my first one was the JMS one with Shathra. I think it was "When the Stars Turn Cold" or something to that effect.

EDIT: It was actually "Until the Stars Turn Cold" (I got the whole TPB, so I don't have a "first issue" per say).

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you like cheesy, sometimes 70s dialog, Slott produces?.....i mean "Crazy town banana pants!" .....Jesus Christ, no.

My dialog expert is Fraction, anyway, but i just say, Bendis gets Spider-Man, if we talk Spider-Man specifically.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.