Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Preview: Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #3 - OUT August 5th, 2015

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/ASMRENEW2015003-DC11-8a2ea.jpghttp://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/ASMRENEW2015003-DC21-dbe22.jpg
    Story by
    Dan Slott
    Art by
    Adam Kubert, John Dell, Andrew Hennessey, [more...]
    Colors by
    Justin Ponsor
    Letters by
    VC - Joe Caramagna
    Cover by
    Adam Kubert, Justin Ponsor, Sara Pichelli

• The most controversial Spider-Man story of the year continues!

•There are some lines Spider-Man won’t cross. Right?

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

COMICVINE

=========================

Preview: Guardians Team-Up #9 - OUT August 5th, 2015

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/GUARDTU2015009-DC11-a61b3.jpg
    Story by
    Javier Pulido
    Art by
    Javier Pulido
    Letters by
    VC - Cory Petit
    Cover by
    Javier Pulido

• Far, far away, one of the most dangerous weapons in the Galaxy has been stolen...by Spider-Man?!

• Peter Quill is back on Earth, his mission: recover the weapon and bring the web-slinger responsible for its disappearance to justice!

• Stars clash when Starlord meets Spider-Man!

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

COMICVINE

Preview: Spider-Island #2 - OUT August 5th, 2015

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/4717653-0+smi2015002_dc11-0.jpghttp://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/4717656-0b+smi2015002_dc21-0.jpg
    Story by
    Christos Gage, Tom DeFalco
    Art by
    Paco Diaz, Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema
    Colors by
    Frank D'Armata, Andrew Crossley
    Letters by
    VC - Travis Lanham
    Cover by
    Humberto Ramos, Edgar Delgado, Gabriele Dell'otto

• The Spider-Queen has turned Manhattan into an island of Spider-Madness and Peter Parker has lost, thanks to Spider-Scribe CHRISTOS GAGE (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN) & rising star artist PACO DIAZ (WOLVERINE, SCARLET SPIDERS).

• With Spider-Man defeated and captive, does Flash Thompson, A.K.A. VENOM stand a chance?

• All this, plus visit the MC2 patch of BATTLEWORLD! Mayday Parker and her Spider-Family are back courtesy of classic Spider-Girl team TOM DEFALCO, RON FRENZ & SAL BUSCEMA!

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

COMICVINE

Preview: Ultimate End #4 - OUT August 5th, 2015

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/152/270/original/Ultimate_End_4_cover.jpghttp://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/152/271/original/Ultimate_End_4_cover_b.jpg
    Story by
    Brian Michael Bendis
    Art by
    Mark Bagley, Scott Hanna
    Colors by
    Justin Ponsor
    Letters by
    VC - Cory Petit
    Cover by
    Mark Bagley

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

• TONY VS TONY, CLINT VS CLINT, HULK VS HULK!

• The tear between domains deepens…

• How long can two territories occupy the same space?

• Here comes MILES...

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

NEWSARAMA

COMICVINE

Preview: Civil War #2 - OUT August 5th, 2015

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/07/civwar2015002-dc11-01-146114.jpghttp://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/CIVWAR2015002-DC31-16deb.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/CIVWARCOV2015002-DC21-1-7d539.jpghttp://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/CIVWARCOV2015002-DC21-2-f225e.jpg

Story by
    Charles Soule
    Art by
    Leinil Yu, Gerry Alanguilan
    Colors by
    Sunny Gho
    Letters by
    VC - Joe Sabino
    Cover by
    Leinil Yu, Sunny Gho, Olivier Coipel, Frank Martin , Alex Maleev

• Skirmishes between each side continue in the wake of a failed attempt at peace. General Rogers and his forces in the Blue continue development of Project Bellcurve, the top-secret effort to win the war in one epic stroke, while Iron President Stark discovers deeply troubling data about the course of the nation’s history since its division.

Rated T+

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

COMICVINE

COMICBOOK.COM

-

@punyparker

@zarius

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12153  Edited By The_Waffle

Nice preview for RYV #3, my only nitpick is how quickly Ock appears, I'd understand if it was Speed Demon, but still, kinda dumb. (250th post btw yay to me lel)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12154  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter

Ultimate End is just a mess at this point and is more kitchen sink storytelling, but it just happens to look gorgeous thanks to Bagely.

Over in the newspaper strip, Harry's psychiatrist has been revealed as that murderous spy Natasha's been tailing

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@animehunter

Ultimate End is just a mess at this point and is more kitchen sink storytelling, but it just happens to look gorgeous thanks to Bagely.

Over in the newspaper strip, Harry's psychiatrist has been revealed as that murderous spy Natasha's been tailing

The Ultimate universe has been limping along waiting to be killed for around 2 years now, I think Miles is the only thing good to come from it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@zarius said:

@animehunter

The Ultimate universe has been limping along waiting to be killed for around 2 years now, I think Miles is the only thing good to come from it.

Ultimate End is really deep in Bendis continuity. You'd really need to have read most of the Ultimate books as well as his Avengers and X-Men stuff to fully appreciate it.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12157  Edited By animehunter

From Bleeding Cool

Spider-Gwen Creators Can’t Officially Create New Characters For The Series?

Spider-Gwen-1-03

Originally quoted by Superior Spider Talk, from their Ultimate Spin podcast yesterday, Spider-Gwen artist Robbi Rodriguez talked about the rules regarding the creation of new characters for the series.

Basically, they can’t.

There’s like a big rule […] we can’t really create new characters in Spider-Gwen because the movie rights aren’t officially fully licensed by Marvel. Whatever we create in Spider-Gwen, Sony gets first crack at those characters. So that’s why we start doing what we call ‘sampling.’ We’ll sample ideas that we have and slap them on to a new character. Say, we have Luke Cage, which I think we are planning on using, it has to be Luke Cage in name only. He is a new idea that we’ve had, for a new character.

It is worth noting that in the main Amazing Spider-Man series, Dan Slott hasn’t actually been shy of creating new characters. Mind you, a number of X-Men creators have talked to me about similar restrictions they have been given on the X-books, and Brian Bendis managed to create a bunch of new characters for them.

Lead writer privileges perhaps? It’s good to be the King? Or maybe folk are just mistaken…

Marvel Comics representatives declined comment when approached by Bleeding Cool. But soon after, Superior Spider-Talk took down the podcast and article, the latter of which remains on Google cache for now.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12158  Edited By Zarius

@teerack said:
    @spider11211 said:
    @zarius said:

@animehunter

Ultimate End is really deep in Bendis continuity. You'd really need to have read most of the Ultimate books as well as his Avengers and X-Men stuff to fully appreciate it.

Bendis is an acquired taste on Avengers and X-Men though. I for one love him more on solo hero titles (USM, Daredevil, Spider-Woman etc) than team books

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stores To Receive Yet Another Preview Magazine For All-New All-Different Marvel October Relaunch

Posted July 31, 2015 by by Rich Johnston

One Comment ForumOld Forum 35

Marvel are determined that retailers, and fans, know as much as possible about their upcoming All-New All-Different comics in October.

Which is why they are issuing a second special preview book for the month. Arriving on October 7th, along with Invincible Iron Man #1, the magazine will show off select story pages from the new titles.

Though it won’t be the first glance retailers will have, as they will all get a preview copy of Invincible Iron Man #1 the week before…

No Caption Provided

@animehunter

@punyparker

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

So according to WIKI Ultimate Spiderman season 4 mile morales will be referred to as kid arachnid

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

Spider-Gwen Creators Can’t Officially Create New Characters For The Series?

Spider-Gwen-1-03

Originally quoted by Superior Spider Talk, from their Ultimate Spin podcast yesterday, Spider-Gwen artist Robbi Rodriguez talked about the rules regarding the creation of new characters for the series.

Basically, they can’t.

There’s like a big rule […] we can’t really create new characters in Spider-Gwen because the movie rights aren’t officially fully licensed by Marvel. Whatever we create in Spider-Gwen, Sony gets first crack at those characters. So that’s why we start doing what we call ‘sampling.’ We’ll sample ideas that we have and slap them on to a new character. Say, we have Luke Cage, which I think we are planning on using, it has to be Luke Cage in name only. He is a new idea that we’ve had, for a new character.

It is worth noting that in the main Amazing Spider-Man series, Dan Slott hasn’t actually been shy of creating new characters. Mind you, a number of X-Men creators have talked to me about similar restrictions they have been given on the X-books, and Brian Bendis managed to create a bunch of new characters for them.

Lead writer privileges perhaps? It’s good to be the King? Or maybe folk are just mistaken…

Marvel Comics representatives declined comment when approached by Bleeding Cool. But soon after, Superior Spider-Talk took down the podcast and article, the latter of which remains on Google cache for now.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

UPDATE

From Newsarama

Update: SPIDER-GWEN Artist Clarifies, Saying 'No Rule' Against Creating New Characters Due To Sony's Movie Rights

Updated July 31, 2015 at 1:40 p.m. EST: Since the original publication of this story, Newsarama spoke with Spider-Gwen artist Robbi Rodriguez about what he called a "big rule" about not creating new characters in Spider-Gwen. According to Rodriguez there is no such rule and his earlier commnts can be chalked to a misunderstanding by him.

"There is no rule. The subject wasn't explained to me very well when I asked before at the time, but its all cleared now when I asked again not too long ago," Rodriguez told Newsarama. "I forgot I mentioned that on the podcast, so I asked them to edit it to clear up any future confusion. I meant to do the earlier and its my mistake for not jumping quicker thus causing this misunderstanding."

Rodriguez went to claim that he and Spider-Gwen writer Jason Latour are free to introduce new characters despite his original comments on the podcast.

"We can make anything we want for Spider-Gwen," Rodriguez added.

Original Story: According to Spider-Gwen artist Robbi Rodriguez, he and series writer Jason Latour are under strict rules from Marvel not to create any new characters in the Spider-title. In a podcast interview published earlier this month with Ultimate Spin, Rodriguez described the "big rule" as one put in place due to Sony owning the movie rights to Spider-Man and any associated titles and characters.

"There’s like a big rule […] we can’t really create new characters in Spider-Gwen because the movie rights aren’t officially fully licensed by Marvel," Rodriguez claimed. "Whatever we create in Spider-Gwen, Sony gets first crack at those characters. So that’s why we start doing what we call ‘sampling.’ We’ll sample ideas that we have and slap them on to a new character. Say, we have Luke Cage, which I think we are planning on using, it has to be Luke Cage in name only. He is a new idea that we’ve had, for a new character."

Superior Spider-Talk, which hosts the Ultimate Spin podcast, brought attention to the quote on July 30, but that post has since been taken down and the podcasted edited to remove Rodriguez' specific comments. A Google cache version of the post, however, remains available here.

Rodriguez comments mirror something former Uncanny X-Men writer Chris Claremont claimed back in June 2014, saying that all of the X-titles are "forbidden" from creating new characters.

"I have to say quite honestly as I understand it now, the X department is forbidden to create new characters," Claremont said during a panel at Phoenix Comic-Con and recorded by Nerdist. "Well… who owns them? “All because all new characters become the film property of Fox. There will be no X-Men merchandising for the foreseeable future because, why promote Fox material?”

At the time, Claremont was writing the Nightcrawler series -- which contrary to Claremont's statements, featured a new mutant character created by Claremont named Rico. Around the same time, several new characters were also debuting in both Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men. Likewise, other Spider-titles outside of Spider-Gwen have introduced new characters.

Both Marvel and the Ultimate Spin podcast declined to comment on the new claims. Rodriguez has not responded to a request for comment.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter

@punyparker

ALONSO Reveals IRON MAN 'Sister Title' In The Works

Source: Newsarama

by Chris Arrant, EditorDate: 31 July 2015 Time: 07:06 PM ET 206 3 Reddit1 Submit0

"Invincible Iron Man #1" cover by David Marquez, doubled
    CREDIT: David Marquez (Marvel Comics) View full size image

Marvel Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso has added fuel to the fire about a purported second Iron Man titlefirst teased by Invincible Iron Man writer Brian Michael Bendis on Wednesday.

"Brian and David [Marquez] are playing the long game with Invincible Iron Man," Alonso told CBR. "When Brian pitched us, he said there was an idea for a sister-title that would spin out of the first germinating in his brain."

When asked what convinced Alonso and Marvel that two ongoing Iron Man series could be supported by the industry, Alonso said he relied on Bendis' opinion that it would.

"I can't say much, but I will say this: The reveal on the last page of Invincible Iron Man #1 is big enough that it might need an entire series just to deal with. Retailers -- plan accordingly!"

Invincible Iron Man #1 goes on sale October 7, and Bendis has said he'll be delving into the recently introduced facet to Tony Stark's life that he is adopted. Could Alonso's phrasing of a "sister-title" be subtlely inferring to a female Iron Man series, perhaps one even related to Tony Stark?

If Marvel does indeed launch a second ongoing solo series for Iron Man, it wouldn't be the first time. In 2007, Marvel renamed the then-ongoing Iron Man series as Invincible Iron Man and subsequently launched a newIron Man series by Matt Fraction and Salvador Larroca coinciding with the release of the first Iron Man movie.

With the "All-New All-Different Marvel" flagship series being Invincible Iron Man, there is room on the shelves once again for an adjective-less Iron Man title once again.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@zarius: How is this Spidey related?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12164  Edited By Zarius

@punyparker said:

There's a few rumors circulating that the last page reveals Mary Jane as Tony's girlfriend. If it turns out not to be the case, the coverage of Iron Man in this thread will probably discontinue afterwards.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @punyparker said:

There's a few rumors circulating that the last page reveals Mary Jane as Tony's girlfriend. If it turns out not to be the case, the coverage of Iron Man in this thread will probably discontinue afterwards.

In an interview, Bendis or Marquez said that Tony's new girlfriend will be able to keep up with him intellectually. so it probably is not Mary Jane.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12166  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:
    @punyparker said:

In an interview, Bendis or Marquez said that Tony's new girlfriend will be able to keep up with him intellectually. so it probably is not Mary Jane.

Don't unerestimate MJ's smarts. She can be quite emotionally savy when written well. Women can be intellectually ahead of males in other regards than just scientific or tech-based knowledge. MJ's also taken a turn in Iron Man armor herself back when she, Peter and Aunt May spent time in Avengers mansion, and she studied psychology in the 90s.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:
    @punyparker said:

Don't unerestimate MJ's smarts. She can be quite emotionally savy when written well. Women can be intellectually ahead of males in other regards than just scientific or tech-based knowledge. MJ's also taken a turn in Iron Man armor herself back when she, Peter and Aunt May spent time in Avengers mansion, and she studied psychology in the 90s.

The Interview implyed that Tony's new Girlfriend can keep up with him intellectually. MJ might be smart, But I doubt that she can keep up with Tony. But it might be about keeping up with Tony emotionally. and if it is ,however unlikely, then it could be her.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12168  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:
    @punyparker said:

The Interview implyed that Tony's new Girlfriend can keep up with him intellectually. MJ might be smart, But I doubt that she can keep up with Tony. But it might be about keeping up with Tony emotionally. and if it is ,however unlikely, then it could be her.

That's the general gist of it. They have said this new interest will get people talking, I just don't see who else it could be that would fit the bill in the Marvel Universe. If it's Pepper, that would seem a bit expected and an easy option. It would also be a bit of a meta fictional reference to Marvel wanting to make Iron Man the "face" of the brand...giving him the love interest of the previous "face" of the brand would factor into that.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: I still don't think it is going to be her. But if it is I wouldn't be surprised. I would want it to be MJ so she stays away from the spider-man book.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12170  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

@zarius: I still don't think it is going to be her. But if it is I wouldn't be surprised. I would want it to be MJ so she stays away from the spider-man book.

Why? Let's face facts, nobody will ever replace MJ in Peter's life. By Marvel's own admission, MJ is "the one".

It made little sense to write her out of the regular books to begin with given her history, and everyone, including her, had to be character assassinated to justify her latest departure. If she shacks up with Tony, there is virtually no excuse for her not to be with Peter again.

Let's not forget that she's still his wife in an ongoing canon that's updated daily, which anyone can easily read online, so she's never going to be truly out of the Spidey spotlight.

And if Annie carries over from RYV and is looked after by Mephistoverse MJ, the kid may want to try and play matchmaker with the mainstream versions of her parents. I think regardless of the changes we're not done with Peter and MJ's relationship by a long shot, Marvel know how much money they're making from RYV, they'll want to save an inevitable restoration of the mainstream marriage for later down the line..I think something will be done to acknowledge it sometime in 2017, which will mark the 10th anniversary of the Mephisto deal and the 30th anniversary of the marriage.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12171  Edited By animehunter

From Bleeding Cool

Marvel Collects Civil War In A $500 Box Set

Ahead of the release of the next Captain America movie, Civil War, Marvel are putting all the Civil War collections back into print next year.

• Civil War HC
    • Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War Prelude TPB
    • Civil War: Fantastic Four TPB
    • Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways TPB
    • Civil War: Punisher War Journal TPB
    • Civil War: Wolverine TPB
    • Civil War: X-Men TPB
    • Civil War: Captain America/Iron Man TPB
    • Civil War: Black Panther TPB
    • Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man TPB
    • Civil War: Marvel Universe TPB
    • Civil War: Front Line TPB
    • Civil War: Heroes For Hire/Thunderbolts TPB

The Captain America Prelude volume and Civil War hardcover even have new covers to reflect the movie (though these may not be the final ones.

flect the movie (though these may not be the final ones.

preludehc

There’s also a Box Set featuring all the volumes in premiere format, with the spines creating a new art image.

cw5
    cw5

And here’s what you get for your $500.

Civil War Prologue Premiere HC 304 Pgs. / Collecting New Warriors (2005) 1-6, New Avengers: Illuminati (2006) 1, Fantastic Four (1961) 536-537, Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 529-531

Civil War Premiere HC 256 Pgs. / Collecting Civil War (2006) 1-7, Daily Bugle: Civil War Special Edition, material from Civil War (2006) 1 Director’s Cut

Civil War: Avengers Premiere HC 392 Pgs. / Collecting New Avengers (2005) 21-25, Ms. Marvel (2006) 6-8, Captain America (2005) 22-24, Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties Of War, Iron Man (2005) 13-14, Winter Soldier: Winter Kills

Civil War: Fantastic Four Premiere HC 360 Pgs. / Collecting Fantastic Four (1961) 538-542, Black Panther (2005) 18-25, material from Fantastic Four (1961) 543

Civil War: Front Line Premiere HC 360 Pgs. / Collecting Civil War: Front Line 1-11

Civil War: Marvel Universe Premiere HC 408 Pgs. / Collecting She-Hulk (2005) 8-9, Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 1-4, Heroes For Hire (2006) 1-3, Civil War: Choosing Sides, Punisher: War Journal (2007) 1-3, Civil War: The Return, Punisher War Journal (2007) 1 B&W Edition

Civil War: Spider-man Premiere HC 472 Pgs. / Collecting Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 532-538, Sensational Spider-Man (2006) 28-34, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man 11-16

Civil War: The Underside Premiere HC 352 Pgs. / Collecting Thunderbolts (1997) 103-105, Moon Knight (2006) 7-12, Civil War: War Crimes, Ghost Rider (2006) 8-11

Civil War: X-Men Premiere HC 408 Pgs. / Collecting Wolverine (2003) 42-48, X-Factor (2006) 8-9, Cable & Deadpool 30-32,

Civil War: X-Men 1-4, Blade (2006) 5

Civil War Aftermath Premiere HC 344 Pgs. / Collecting Captain America (2005) 25, 25 Director’s Cut; Civil War: The Confession; Civil War: The Initiative; Fallen Son: The Death Of Captain America
    – Wolverine, Avengers, Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man; What If: Civil War; Daily Bugle: Civil War – Fallen Son; material from What If: Fallen Son

Civil War Files Premiere HC 464 Pgs. / Collecting Civil War Files, Civil War: Battle Damage Report, Civil War: Opening Shot Sketchbook, Civil War: Script Book TPB, Marvel Spotlight: Mark Millar/Steve Mcniven, Marvel Spotlight: Civil War Aftermath

=====

=====

From Bleeding Cool

John Byrne Gets A Mixed Marvel Omnibus, And Other 2016 Omnibi

In April, Marvel Comics are to publish the Marvel Universe ByJohn Byrne Omnibus, collecting a number of his shorter runs on titles, to accompany his already collected Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men and Alpha Flight runs.

Collecting: Champions #11-15; Marvel Preview #11; Avengers #164-166, #181-191; Power Man #48-50; Marvel Premiere #47-48; Captain America #247-255; Silver Surfer (1982) #1; Incredible Hulk #314-319; Wolverine (1988) #17-23, material from Marvel Fanfare #29

1120 pages with a cover price of $125, it’s one of a bunch of big new (and old) Omnibus collections coming from Marvel in the first quarter of 2016.

Others include The Deadpool Classic Omnibus, following up on the Joe Kelly Deadpool Omnibus, looking at what happened after he left the title and reprinting Deadpool (1997) #34-69, Black Panther (1998) #23, Agent X #1-15, Fight-Man #1; material from X-Men Unlimited (1993) #28.

1304 pages for $125. Out in January.

Captain America gets a Vol 2 Omnibus, collecting issues #114-148, 816 pages $120, March.

X-Men: Age Of Apocalypse Omnibus gets reprinted, collecting Uncanny X-Men #320-321, X-Men #40-41, Cable #20, X-Men Alpha, Amazing X-Men #1-4, Astonishing X-Men #1-4, Factor X #1-4, Gambit & The X-Ternals #1-4, Generation Next #1-4, Weapon X #1-4, X-Calibre #1-4, X-Man #1-4, X-Men Omega, Age Of Apocalypse: The Chosen, X-Men Ashcan #2. 1072 pages, $125, April.

The Superior Foes Of Spider-Man collects the entire Nick Spencer and Steven Lieber run on the acclaimed title. One of my favourite titles, collecting all 17 issues and I’m planning to sit this right next to the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye.

376 pages, $50, February.

Uncanny X-Men gets a Vol 3 Omnibus collecting another golden age for that comic, with Uncanny X-Men (1981) #154-175, X-Men Annual (1971) #6-7, Marvel Graphic Novel #5, Wolverine (1982) #1-4, Special Edition X-Men #1 and Magik #1-4. 1056 pages $125, March.

The Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Daredevil Omnibus gets a reprint (hopefully they’ll fix the orange Daredevil issue this time), collecting Daredevil #158-161, 163-191 and What If? #28. 840 pages for $125. March.

And it is accompanied by a reprint of the Frank Miller & Bill Sienkiewicz Elektra Omnibus, collecting Elektra: Assassin #1-8, Elektra Lives Again, Bizarre Adventures #28 and What If? #35. 400 pages for $100 – which is a little expensive compared to the other titles. But then it does sell from $400 new on Amazon Marketplace. March.

And the Frank Miller Daredevil Omnibus Companion, collecting Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #27-28; Daredevil #219, 226-233; Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5; Marvel Graphic Novel #24, Daredevil Love And War. 60 pages, $100, it currently sells on Amazon from $500, so… yeah. April.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Why? Let's face facts, nobody will ever replace MJ in Peter's life. By Marvel's own admission, MJ is "the one".

It made little sense to write her out of the regular books to begin with given her history, and everyone, including her, had to be character assassinated to justify her latest departure. If she shacks up with Tony, there is virtually no excuse for her not to be with Peter again.

Let's not forget that she's still his wife in an ongoing canon that's updated daily, which anyone can easily read online, so she's never going to be truly out of the Spidey spotlight.

And if Annie carries over from RYV and is looked after by Mephistoverse MJ, the kid may want to try and play matchmaker with the mainstream versions of her parents. I think regardless of the changes we're not done with Peter and MJ's relationship by a long shot, Marvel know how much money they're making from RYV, they'll want to save an inevitable restoration of the mainstream marriage for later down the line..I think something will be done to acknowledge it sometime in 2017, which will mark the 10th anniversary of the Mephisto deal and the 30th anniversary of the marriage.

Is that why in peters idea of a perfect world he is married to Gwen Stacy. IN the ultimate universe and the newpaper strip universe she in the one. but in the 616 her and gwen can debate for the title.

And the only reson she is seen as "the one" is because of JMS, before his run marvel was clearly trying to end the marrige. they were on a break and Marvel was trying to shake her off by making her unlikeable.

The newspaper strip is not exactly in the the spotlight.

I hope annie does not cross from RYV.If she is looked after by MJ only it would be ok, but opening a Spider-man comic and finding peter looking after a child would be the worst. With Joe quasada in charge I doubt that the marriage will be reinstated any time soon.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12173  Edited By Zarius
    @kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Is that why in peters idea of a perfect world he is married to Gwen Stacy. IN the ultimate universe and the newpaper strip universe she in the one. but in the 616 her and gwen can debate for the title.

And the only reson she is seen as "the one" is because of JMS, before his run marvel was clearly trying to end the marrige. they were on a break and Marvel was trying to shake her off by making her unlikeable.

The newspaper strip is not exactly in the the spotlight.

I hope annie does not cross from RYV.If she is looked after by MJ only it would be ok, but opening a Spider-man comic and finding peter looking after a child would be the worst. With Joe quasada in charge I doubt that the marriage will be reinstated any time soon.

1. Peter's "perfect world" scenario from House of M was created for him out of his great guilt failing the people he loved. Every person Peter failed to protect is alive there, that does not mean a thing about who he prefers. In later stories afterwards he admitted to himself the real Gwen would never have been able to take care of herself the way MJ did. Gwen truly can't be used to debate who the better love interest is cheifly because she's lacked years of the kind of growth and maturity MJ had on account of being dead, and even when she was alive, Stan greatly regressed her from her initial depiction in the Ditko era. Gwen is the easy option for "ideal love" fanatics who lack a real grasp of the struggles that come with a realistic relationship, the kind with ups and downs, that's what MJ provided and it's why so many more level-headed people prefer her.

Besides, Sins Past. Goblin babies. 'Nuff said.

2. JMS is'nt the only one to have went the soul mate approach. DeFalco, Dematties, and Peter David were doing that long before him. Did you not read the memos from John Semper when he was developing the animated series that Stan Lee initially only wanted MJ to be the only girl in Peter's life and had to be convinced otherwise? Stan's a good sport and went along with Semper's suggestions to spice up the relationship drama, but he was also certain of who he wanted Peter to be with, and he always admitted he had more fun writing MJ than Gwen. Dan's also admitted he finds writing a married MJ more interesting than writing her without Peter, but obviously can't go there with the mainstream version because of editorial.

3. The daily strip is a frequent online presence and is being collected in trades by IDW, it's finally getting attention. It'll take a while before it gets to the marriage era, but at least it's out there now. And the daily strip universe actually has some of the original continuity attached to it. Gwen's death was revealed to have still happened in that universe, so yeah, MJ being the one there could be open up to that same irrelevant "MJ vs Gwen" debate if you wanted to argue that.

Stan supervises the strip (I don't think he still writes it despite being credited), so I'll take the word of the co-creator over who Peter should be with over whatever flavor of the month finite regime prefers him to be with.

4. Why do you think Peter with relatable normal everyman responsibilities would be "the worst?" When I was a kid, Peter was expecting one and I still loved him, and Spider-Girl is one of my favorite books as is RYV. Peter with a kid works. You'll realize that when you have a family. I'd rather have that scenario than some devil-dealing playboy manchild riding a Spider-Mobile and running a massive conglomerate.

Nice to know also you want Peter to be a deadbeat dad who won't take care of his alternate world daughter.

5. Quesada won't last forever. Eventually, people who grew up on the marriage will be in charge, and the Mephistoverse will come to a swift end when that happens.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius:

1. If you read the Quicksilver miniseries after house of M, you would see that peter was distraught because he lost Gwen and there son.in the book peter clearly establishes that gwen is the woman he wants. and it as you said Gwen did not get full development. if she did she would have been the love of his life.

2. It is clear that Marvel wanted them to break up. and the only reson why the break up did not go the full way, was because JMS wanted them together. in the late 90's there relationship was deliberately being taken. Stan might of wanted it but by that time marvel evolved past him.

3. As you said, it is finally geting attention. this universe is not main stream because it is not known to the general population. I could name at lest 7 different Spider-man continuitys that are more known and are more important then the newspaper continuity.

4. Peter can be a everyman without a kid. When I open a comic book I want to see hero's fighting villains and interacting with people there own age to set up interesting character based plot. not Peter having Ice-cream with a child or interacting with the same people and doing the same things.

5.Quesada is not exactly old, He could last for a good 10-15 years. and by that time my generation will be the ones getting jobs

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12175  Edited By Teerack

If you read comic books for longer then a year it should become apparent everything you're saying is 100% subjective to the current writer/editorial staff's preference so trying to prove it one way or the other is very pointless.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12178  Edited By Zarius

@kcomicfan said:

@teerack: Who is your comment aimed at?

Pretty certain it's me. Though it can apply easily to both of our sides. I do respect your view for what it's worth, even if I flat out disagree with it and presumbly vice versa. This is your era of Spider-Man and you're entitled to enjoy it whatever form it takes.

I don't think it's at all pointless to argue for a certain way over the other though, especially if it falls on the side of a take on the history that is more persistent than other stabs at the formula. Twenty-eight years out of Spider-Man's fifty-three is nothing to sneeze at.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12179  Edited By Teerack

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Pretty certain it's me. Though it can apply easily to both of our sides. I do respect your view for what it's worth, even if I flat out disagree with it and presumbly vice versa. This is your era of Spider-Man and you're entitled to enjoy it whatever form it takes.

I don't think it's at all pointless to argue for a certain way over the other though, especially if it falls on the side of a take on the history that is more persistent than other stabs at the formula. Twenty-eight years out of Spider-Man's fifty-three is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't even know what you're saying now?

You don't agree that marvel's franchise swap by the current whims of the editorial staff/writers? I don't know how you could believe that with all of the things that's happened in spider-man and marvel as a whole in the past 5 years.

Having read Spider-Man from issue 1 like I'm guessing you both probably have I think the only thing that I can say for certain is that no matter how long something happens or significant it once seems it doesn't really matter unless they thing it will make them the most money. I mean hell Peter was out of high school by like issue 30 and still to this day they put a big focus on "he's a teenager in high school and a super hero!!!" which was cool and an amazing start, but its less then 10% of his history.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

I don't even know what you're saying now?

You don't agree that marvel's franchise swap by the current whims of the editorial staff/writers? I don't know how you could believe that with all of the things that's happened in spider-man and marvel as a whole in the past 5 years.

Having read Spider-Man from issue 1 like I'm guessing you both probably have I think the only thing that I can say for certain is that no matter how long something happens or significant it once seems it doesn't really matter unless they thing it will make them the most money. I mean hell Peter was out of high school by like issue 30 and still to this day they put a big focus on "he's a teenager in high school and a super hero!!!" which was cool and an amazing start, but its less then 10% of his history.

I agree with you. The history of a comic book character is generally pointless, because the characters change and evolve over time to; fit the reader, fit the story the writer wants to tell and above all make money. However This does not ring true for all characters.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand where all this fuss of keeping Peter as an "everyman" comes from. I think it is more important for stories to accurately reflect the character's skills and goals, rather than arbitrarily keeping him as a normal dude. If it wasn't for the writers conspiring against Peter's success, Peter should be a super scientist due to his ambition and astounding intellect. This is why I think the character of Miles Morales more naturally fits into the setting of an average joe, as he isn't much more than above average in anything, while Peter is one of the smartest people in the world. I also don't understand people against the marriage since it makes him too rich or too old - do you guys think it is plausible that Peter will be a down on his luck young adult for his whole life? Peter's character was created to grow and evolve, not to be stagnant. That is why his marriage and his new job as CEO of Parker Industries are quintessential developments in his life, as they mark his final "evolution" as a character (I don't think anyone wants to see a Grampa Spider-Man as the main Spidey). From there, we can get an unlimited amount of stories - some focusing on Peter's life as a husband and eventually a father, some focusing on his work-family-superhero dynamic, some focusing on his intellect and/or his work, and some being traditional superhero stories. I think the time when Peter finally gets there will be the best time for Spidey, in that he will have the best stories and will finally be able to start living up to his potential.

Anyways, the very concept of Peter being an "everyman" is flawed. To really represent the majority of the world, he would have to be a 28 (ish) year old Chinese man (interestingly, Peter is 28) and his story would be completely different. I think it is more important to move Peter's story forward in both interesting and plausible ways rather than arbitrarily keep him as a (flawed) definition of an everyman. As such, I think we should all forget this idiotic notion of the everyman and instead let Peter grow and eventually become what he was always meant to be - the greatest superhero in the world.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Yeah, I'm not much of a fan when it comes to the whole "Peter is an everyman" idea. From the get-go he was deemed a genius, and developed his own web shooters. He's even considered one of the smartest people on the planet-- so with that being said, it'd make sense for him to outgrow his job at the Daily Bugle, and as a teacher. The only thing that bugs me is that Peter wasn't even the one to make his own company, it was pretty much passed on to him by Otto. Regardless, having a 28 year old hero who can't seem to catch a break is unappealing to say the least. Having an adult hero with actual responsibilities like a family, and a career is a better way to represent the character.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: Yeah, I'm not much of a fan when it comes to the whole "Peter is an everyman" idea. From the get-go he was deemed a genius, and developed his own web shooters. He's even considered one of the smartest people on the planet-- so with that being said, it'd make sense for him to outgrow his job at the Daily Bugle, and as a teacher. The only thing that bugs me is that Peter wasn't even the one to make his own company, it was pretty much passed on to him by Otto. Regardless, having a 28 year old hero who can't seem to catch a break is unappealing to say the least. Having an adult hero with actual responsibilities like a family, and a career is a better way to represent the character.

I completely agree. As of now, I am hoping that Otto's Parker Industries failed (as shown in ASM #18) and Peter rebuilt it from scratch. It shows that Peter did learn a little from Otto, but all the real work was done by him. What would you think about that?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12184  Edited By Zarius

You can expand his teaching aspirations to maybe even opening up a school himself, with MJ possibly working there too as a student counselor (something she was up to when Spider-Girl was cancelled), Peter working with the NYPD like he did in Spider-Girl also appealed to me. I know some really skilled and smart guys who are just content with applying their geniuses to everyday things so as to better juggle their family life.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

You can expand his teaching aspirations to maybe even opening up a school himself, with MJ possibly working there too as a student counselor (something she was up to when Spider-Girl was cancelled), Peter working with the NYPD like he did in Spider-Girl also appealed to me. I know some really skilled and smart guys who are just content with applying their geniuses to everyday things so as to better juggle their family life.

Yeah, but Peter is not just a skilled and smart guy; he is one of the smartest on the planet. In fact, I think that if he applied himself, he would be able to do more good as a scientist (cure cancer, eradicate diseases, abolish fossil fuels by inventing a new renewable energy source, etc.) than as a street superhero saving a couple people each day. Now, of course that wouldn't make for interesting stories, but that doesn't mean his intellect needs to be almost ignored in favor of making him more "relatable". That's why I think that this has the potential of really being one of the best and most necessary changes that Spidey needed.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: I agree. Peter does not need to be a traditional Everyman. He can use his intellect to save the world, like when he worked for horizon labs. Also him being a scientist can make for interesting plots. Peter has not been "down on his luck " for some time now. the character has evolved without the marriage, in the 8 years that the marriage has been dissolved Peter has: found a new job, Has new friends and has faced new villains.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

Jobs like being a teacher and working in a crime lab, does not give peters intelligence justice he is capable of more then that.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12188  Edited By Zarius

@blackspidey2099 said:
    @zarius said:

Yeah, but Peter is not just a skilled and smart guy; he is one of the smartest on the planet. In fact, I think that if he applied himself, he would be able to do more good as a scientist (cure cancer, eradicate diseases, abolish fossil fuels by inventing a new renewable energy source, etc.) than as a street superhero saving a couple people each day. Now, of course that wouldn't make for interesting stories, but that doesn't mean his intellect needs to be almost ignored in favor of making him more "relatable". That's why I think that this has the potential of really being one of the best and most necessary changes that Spidey needed.

We know how this will end for him. Badly.

It's going to, by the author's admission, be used to showcase an arrogant side to Peter as he indulges in his new toys. We're being specifically told to expect him to fail with this. The set up is all there. He did'nt earn his company, he's going to be a dick about running it, Marvel are going to have him fail hard by the end of this era and what will he become then? Z-List celebrity? We're right back to Peter being the loser. Again. Pointless.

Most modern Spider-Man fans are deliberately lowering their standards and becoming willfully negligent of the characters core appeal just to be "different" at this stage, because they know Marvel have hit a brick wall with him and are trying any old sort of tactic to keep him afloat on the level of cultural relevancy. You can tell they're hedging their bets by making Tony Stark the face of the brand too, because Peter as he is now is too far removed from what made him the face of the brand.

There's potential, but this the woefully inconsistent Dan Slott at the helm, a man who's spent the last two and half years phoning it in and showing Peter at his most incompetent, and who's best work since has been writing an everyman regular Peter with family responsibilities. Any new potential with the man-child of the Mephistoverse will be just the same as it's always been. Squandered.

@kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:

Jobs like being a teacher and working in a crime lab, does not give peters intelligence justice he is capable of more then that.

How does helping the youth of tomorrow reach new horizons and helping the police solve crimes with chemical-based solutions in ANY way limiting to Peter's intelligence? Do you have the faintest idea about the hard work that goes into services like that, and how many lives those jobs have influenced and saved?

Do you know how many intelligent and highly skilled people in those occupations you're offending when you say nonsense like this?

Why isn't that enough for you? For Peter, the capacity to give something back to society in that way would be a just reward.

Peter has not been "down on his luck " for some time now. the character has evolved without the marriage, in the 8 years that the marriage has been dissolved Peter has: found a new job, Has new friends and has faced new villains.

This is rich.

1. All of those things you mentioned happened to Peter back when he was married also.

2. In the last eight years since he lost his most mature and fully realized relationship to devil magic, Peter has devolved into an incompetent man-brat, he's acquired a job without earning it, his new friends take him for a ride routinely or take him for granted , and his new villains are not all that memorable and are quickly forgotten about.

3. Also nice to know you don't equate being hijacked by Doctor Octopus for a year and essentially used as a meat puppet to a "down on his luck" experience.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12189  Edited By kcomicfan

@zarius: Peter is better then that. Peter has the ability to be as smart as Tony Stark and Him working at Horizon labs gave peter a opportunity to show what he is capable of, and it was good. in his work, peter made a meaning full contribution to society by using his work as spider-man to build stuff for the people, in this line of work he saved lives and influenced people, Funny that?.

It is a comic book, in real life it is meaning full. but in a world were: you know a billionaire who has a robotic suit and a genius who can stretch and has perfected inter reality travel. it does not matter.

1. And that is my point Peter does not need the marriage to be able to evolve. All these awesome things can happen without Mj

2. He is not a man-brat and he is not "incompetent" can you post scans to prove your point?. He originally got his job by knowing someone. but he earned his place in horizon by stopping Sanja's reverbium and creating inventions that benift humanity. Max, Grady and utah don't do any of this. and his villains are as memorable as any villain created after Stan Lee left.

3. one year does not equal 8. And that is hardly the sort of down on your luck scenario a normal person would face.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @kcomicfan said:

As much as I think we all want that to happen, I don't think it will with the current editors and staff at Marvel. But you never know, maybe RYV was a test by Marvel to see if people were actually still interested in the comics. Which obviously many people care about. It could totally fit in too.

Peter is supposed to be more egotistical in ASM vol 4, I'm sure if his alternate-Universe daughter came to visit him at Parker Industries to match him up with MJ, it would make an interesting arc. At least I think it would. But Slott and the editors at Spider-central will probably take it in a different direction.(which will be either bad or good) I think the setup post-Secret Wars will give more info about how this new-U will work

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

Fanboy Rampage: Dan Slott Vs. Andrew Wheeler And The Rest Of Twitter

Comment ForumOld Forum

@richjohnston No @bleedingcool article yet on Slott's Roosevelt quote and subsequent Twitter kerfuffle? I am shocked and saddened.

— Wags (@Prowags) August 1, 2015

Well, Prowags we like to let the conversation actually play out first, maybe conclude, at least see where it goes before we consider running something like that. Also, I was a bit busy.

@richjohnston Holy crap! @DanSlott just blocked me for asking @bleedingcool to do an article on his Twitter debacle last night. Harsh!

— Wags (@Prowags) August 1, 2015

Yeah, sorry about that.

So what went down? Well, Marvel EIC Axel Alonso seemed to state on Friday that the Marvel character of Hercules, now getting his own ongoing series and believed to be bisexual after a certain funeral scene, in which his ex-lovers appeared to include Northstar, was straight. Me, I always saw Hercules as a Greek God and thereby pretty much omnisexual. But there you go.

This received considerable criticism on-line, especially in comparison to DC Comics’ approach to such character representation, and even more especially when it dovetailed into other criticisms made against Marvel for the lack of black writers being employed by the publisher.

Amazing Spider-Man writer, Dan Slott, defended his editor-in-chief with a Teddy Roosevelt quote that he has now removed. But still exists, in a longer form in a Youtube video in animated bear form that he posted five years ago.

Loading Video...

Which basically seemed to state that Axel is doing a tough job, and it’s easy to carp from the sidelines.

So there was considerable emotionally-fuelled reaction to this. Including from ex-Bleeding Cool writer and current Comics Alliance editor-in-chief and Eisner Award winner for Comic Book Journalism, Andrew Wheeler. Here are select smatterings of that conversation. Those that haven’t been deleted, that is.

@Wheeler That Caesar your talking about isn't a Roman born senator. He's from the outside and has made great strides giving others a chance.

— Dan Slott (@DanSlott) July 31, 2015

@Wheeler No one is saying "stifle" your voice. I'm saying his job is a damn hard one & it's a lot easier to pick at it then it is to do it.

@Leask@Wheeler I'm not saying "everybody be quiet", I'm saying doing that job is a hell of a lot harder than complaining about it.

So what did Dan want people to do?

You want to DO something to fix the problem? SUPPORT diverse creators at the register when their books come out. That will get it done.

@Doigbag They do. And when the market doesn't support them that sends a message as well.

One of the best things fans DID to promote diversity at Marvel: Supporting the hell out of MS. MARVEL and its creative & editorial team.

So, buy books like Ms Marvel. But how were books greenlit in the first place, if not the realisation that there was a vocal audience that might buy it? The kind that were criticising Axel Alonso now? Andrew Wheeler said it succinctly.

@Wheeler MS MARVEL happened cause editor Sana Amanat pushed for it. The book was great! And fan support (like w/ all comics) gave it power!

— Dan Slott (@DanSlott) August 1, 2015

@Wheeler Not really. You're adding context that you WANT to be there. Sana was passionate about doing that book. That's why it happened.

But as t Axel working really hard as EIC…

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler He can do that AND help produce the most successful Muslim American super hero comic, and run one of the most-

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler -diverse editorial teams in mainstream comics, and promote many diverse characters. It's a tough job and I think

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler he's doing much more than a lot of people on the internet give him credit for. I think that's a fair statement.

But others saw it differently.

@24panels I'm not being dismissive. I'm being honest. Marvel's making great strides in diversity– on editorial, with creators, in the books

@24panels Are those strides coming quick as everyone would like? No. And I'm IN that boat too! I'm saying– The guy's got a DAMN hard job.

We were getting that. Some just didn’t see that as a relevant point. But there were other issues to consider, such as the reaction by some to 1872‘s portrayal of Red Wolf.

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler And that 1 book that offends you isn't ALL of Marvel. It doesn't wipe out CAPTAIN MARVEL, YOUNG AVENGERS, et al.

It was pointed out that Young Avengers was no longer being published.

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler I'm not downplaying how much that specific comic hurt you. In as much as I work for Marvel, I apologize that a

@Leask@CCCrossley@Wheeler comic made you feel that way. It seems we've reached a point where we're not having any kind of productive talk

As if to underline that…

@Wheeler@Leask@CCCrossley Wow. Nice spin. That was some good Internet-Fu.

But Dan had made one deletion.

Yes, I deleted the Roosevelt quote. The intent was NOT to stifle criticism, but to point out stepping in to do a tough job is SO much harder

And he had concerns as how people might now interpret his upcoming work which, it seems, will touch on these points in Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Please note: ASM #1 was plotted on 5/7. Cause there are characters & scenes where you'll think I've pandered to those I've ticked off today.

We’ll bear that in mind, Dan… as to the level hardship, Andrew wanted to make a comparison.

No, it's not. Of course it's not. https://t.co/59ElFsoTR7

.@Wheeler But being an editor who HAS promoted diversity in their line, their staff, and their hires, WHILE running the #1 company IS hard.

It was a point he had previously made. Some still didn’t find it relevant to the point.

@Wheeler There are a lot of people in my feed who have contested that.

@Wheeler Agreed.

Dan did want to clarify his thoughts about diversity in comics, however.

If your walk away from any of my tweets is that you think I DON'T believe there should be diversity in comics, you couldn't be more wrong.

Of course there should be more diversity with characters, creators, & staff. That's a given. There should be more diversity in all things.

And he did want to address Andrew’s comparisons.

@Wheeler@Leask@CCCrossley I see a company moving in the right direction. Could it move faster? Yes. But these aren't evil people, Andrew.

As to the creation of the Ms Marvel comic and the role of the editor in creating that book, it was still up for discussion.

@Wheeler That's different from what you said earlier. Earlier you were saying it was because of "vocal critics". You're using semantics now-

@Wheeler -and while that makes you an excellent debater, I'm not really interested in "scoring points" on this issue. It's weird, because-

@Wheeler -we're both coming from the same place. We both want there to be more diverse books/characters/creators/staff in comics.

Dan then decided to write a little more at length.

@Wheelerhttp://t.co/9Zog9Wlcfk

As well as underlining his active role in creating stories that did that.

@24panels@salgood Well, I've been introducing characters of all races, religions, & orientations in my books & working w/ diverse creators.

But the choice of words and tone were very much in dispute.

@Wheeler That's completely fair. I feel w/ that rawness also comes little chance of us discussing this in a way that does anything other-

@Wheeler -than stir more of those raw feelings around. I don't know what either of us could add or come to agreement on. And I DO agree w/

@Wheeler you on the core problem here. But that's getting lost in me being a stand-in (or representative) of the thing you want to debate.

And the Teddy Roosevet quote was still a problem for some, regarding the Hercules decision.

@MagnetoAgenda Not "writing", but the duties he has to perform. It's a tough job, but one that he HAS used to be a champion for diversity–

@MagnetoAgenda –and this was a case where the company could have done better. I agree.

Which was an admission missing previously, and certainly an interesting one.

@MagnetoAgenda Totally understandable. Just the danger of social media– that becomes an overwhelming, roaring tidal wave VERY quickly.

And there was more reason and understanding in the air.

I have NOT blocked anyone today. Yet someone says I did And that I blocked them BECAUSE they're gay. Really?! Thanks, Internet. Good night.

Well some, anyway.

@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx Jesus. Could you at least link to the exchange instead of paraphrasing and misinterpreting?

And there was discussion regarding how previous discussions were being interpreted.

@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx Thank you for ALSO showing where I took it down, explained why, and the times I apologized.

@FemmesinFridges Ms. Marvel came about because Sana was passionate about it and wanted to do it. That's how and why that book came about.

So there was still some underling to do.

@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx It'd be nice if you'd ALSO point out the MANY times I agreed about the need for greater diversity.

@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx It'd also be nice if you could point out the many times when I said Marvel needed to do more.

@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx But none of that makes for good "Did you see what this guy said" internet gossip.

I dunno it’s pretty good where I’m sitting. But Dan was clearly under stress from all sides.

@elevenafter@FemmesinFridges@bairfanx Sorry. Coming off of a different set of tweets where I'm branded a homophobe. Great, right?

Yeah, it can be a downer. But it wasn’t all bad…

@DanSlott well, ya haven't blocked me and I'm a screamin' queen

— Joe Glass (@josephglass) August 1, 2015

MWAH! (Thanks for that! Okay, NOW I can go to sleep.) https://t.co/USXtOoeVw4

Always good to have Bleeding Cool contributor Joe Glass getting a kiss from Dan Slott. But there was still much to discuss with the internet.

@FemmesinFridges I'm not saying you're NOT allowed to talk to your friends. But I think we all agree: It's not fun to be misrepresented. :-)

@d_m_elms@elevenafter@FemmesinFridges@bairfanx Dee, you've had twitter convos w/ me in the past. Have I or have I not listened to you?

And there did seem some steps towards reconciliation.

@Nick_Hanover@FemmesinFridges@elevenafter@bairfanx Already in this thread things've been put in a more accurate context. How is that bad?

And coming to terms with everything everyone was saying.

@Nick_Hanover@FemmesinFridges@bairfanx End of the day, like most people, I want more diversity in the books, staff, and creators.

And exactly where it might end.

@FemmesinFridges True. It's a lose-lose. A person w/ over a thousand followers putting words into your mouth that you never said– or THIS.

And there was slow realisation from all sides.

@DanSlott I mean, yeah, you slip up and everyone's on you, but a lot of times the people "on you" just want ppl to know they're hurt

— Magneto rambles (@MagnetoAgenda) August 1, 2015

Although there was more internet reality to deal with.

Wanna live in a Twitter-world where when you talk w/ people & your opinion becomes more clear it's called "progress" and not "backtracking".

And there was an emerging closeness of opinion..

@Wheeler I agree! The incredible support fans showed Ms. Marvel is WHY more diverse titles are coming out of Marvel. I made that same point.

But then something unexpected happened.

I yield. There are things I can't argue about from a place of privilege. Stupid problem to complain about. When other voices have it worse.

@Wheeler If you want to take this to direct message, I am wholly at your disposal.

Okay. Time to hack Wheeler’s Twitter account… I think his password is still “wobble”.

But this morning? Possibly after said discussion? A full apology…

An apology to any & all LGBTQ readers and fellow geeks and fans. I screwed up. I was so focused on seeing a (cont) http://t.co/tB4PcQWIqw

— Dan Slott (@DanSlott) August 2, 2015

Which ends up with “I screwed up. And I am genuinely sorry.”

Sometimes apologies aren’t instant. Sometimes the desire to defend oneself is strong, we all see ourselves as the hero in our own story. Sometimes an apology takes time, as realisation takes a while to set in. I know that of old…

Fanboy Rampage was a blog by Graeme McMillan dedicated to the funniest, most ludicrous and most inappropriate comic book back-and-forths online. McMillan has moved on now, becoming a proper journalist for the likes of The Hollywood Reporter and Wired but he gave permission to Bleeding Cool to revive his great creation. Feel free to suggest your own observed spots of online excess.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:
    @zarius said:

We know how this will end for him. Badly.

It's going to, by the author's admission, be used to showcase an arrogant side to Peter as he indulges in his new toys. We're being specifically told to expect him to fail with this. The set up is all there. He did'nt earn his company, he's going to be a dick about running it, Marvel are going to have him fail hard by the end of this era and what will he become then? Z-List celebrity? We're right back to Peter being the loser. Again. Pointless.

Most modern Spider-Man fans are deliberately lowering their standards and becoming willfully negligent of the characters core appeal just to be "different" at this stage, because they know Marvel have hit a brick wall with him and are trying any old sort of tactic to keep him afloat on the level of cultural relevancy. You can tell they're hedging their bets by making Tony Stark the face of the brand too, because Peter as he is now is too far removed from what made him the face of the brand.

There's potential, but this the woefully inconsistent Dan Slott at the helm, a man who's spent the last two and half years phoning it in and showing Peter at his most incompetent, and who's best work since has been writing an everyman regular Peter with family responsibilities. Any new potential with the man-child of the Mephistoverse will be just the same as it's always been. Squandered.

@kcomicfan said:
    @zarius said:

How does helping the youth of tomorrow reach new horizons and helping the police solve crimes with chemical-based solutions in ANY way limiting to Peter's intelligence? Do you have the faintest idea about the hard work that goes into services like that, and how many lives those jobs have influenced and saved?

Do you know how many intelligent and highly skilled people in those occupations you're offending when you say nonsense like this?

Why isn't that enough for you? For Peter, the capacity to give something back to society in that way would be a just reward.

It is pointless, but not because the premise is flawed in any way - it's because Marvel is being run by a bunch of stupid dipshits and because Slott is nowhere near as good as he was a year or two ago. I haven't heard anything official saying that Peter will become arrogant, but it does seem like a easy inference which is very sad. I don't think it will be as easy as you make it seem to bring Peter back to rock bottom, but knowing those imbecilic f***ers in charge, they won't even care about continuity and whether it makes sense. However, I do disagree that any potential with "Mephistoverse" Peter is automatically squandered - I think Peter can be brought back to where he was without necessarily undoing the deal (though I would like Peter to fight Mephisto and beat him like I said in an earlier post of mine) though that would be preferable. Even if he does undo the deal, I would still hope that the advances Mephistoverse Peter made would still be kept. Overall, I think those *&^%$%^&*&^%$# in charge of Marvel need to be completely demolished into dirt so someone with a modicum of sense and/or intelligence can take over and save the brand from killing itself under the care of these turds.

So... back on topic.

However, I still stand by my point. Peter is one of the smartest people in the world. While I think teachers and forensic scientists are very important to their community, Peter as a super scientist or CEO is in the position to make the world a better place. I am not trying to put teachers or forensic scientists down in any way, but you have to admit that the net effect of good would be much larger if Peter used his intelligence and applied it to cure cancer, solve climate change, stop animal testing, etc. rather than staying localized in his neighborhood. And if I can come to that conclusion, a genius with an IQ of 270+ (which is nearly double mine) certainly can.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12195  Edited By Zarius

He's at it again. Thankfully it's all cleared up and he apologizes at the end.

@animehunter

@punyparker

Fanboy Rampage: Dan Slott Vs. Andrew Wheeler And The Rest Of Twitter

Posted August 2, 2015 by by Rich Johnston

4 Comments ForumOld Forum 895

Well, Prowags we like to let the conversation actually play out first, maybe conclude, at least see where it goes before we consider running something like that. Also, I was a bit busy.

Yeah, sorry about that.

So what went down? Well, Marvel EIC Axel Alonso seemed to state on Friday that the Marvel character of Hercules, now getting his own ongoing series and believed to be bisexual after a certain funeral scene, in which his ex-lovers appeared to include Northstar, was straight. Me, I always saw Hercules as a Greek God and thereby pretty much omnisexual. But there you go.

This received considerable criticism on-line, especially in comparison to DC Comics’ approach to such character representation, and even more especially when it dovetailed into other criticisms made against Marvel for the lack of black writers being employed by the publisher.

Amazing Spider-Man writer, Dan Slott, defended his editor-in-chief with a Teddy Roosevelt quote that he has now removed. But still exists, in a longer form in a Youtube video in animated bear form that he posted five years ago.

Which basically seemed to state that Axel is doing a tough job, and it’s easy to carp from the sidelines.

So there was considerable emotionally-fuelled reaction to this. Including from ex-Bleeding Cool writer and current Comics Alliance editor-in-chief and Eisner Award winner for Comic Book Journalism, Andrew Wheeler. Here are select smatterings of that conversation. Those that haven’t been deleted, that is.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/02/fanboy-rampage-dan-slott-vs-andrew-wheeler-and-the-rest-of-twitter/

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: The Carnage smybiote should go to The Black Cat.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter

@punyparker

A New Hachette Catalog For Marvel, January-April 2016

Posted August 3, 2015 by by Rich Johnston

Comment ForumOld Forum

So the new Hachette Marvel catalogue for collections shipping from January 2016 to April 2016 is out, letting bookstores know what they can order from the comic book publisher. You can read the whole thing above.

But here are a few highlights, aside from the Omnibuses and Omnibus reprints, the Civil War boxset, the Marvel’s Captain America Civil War Prelude and the Civil War Illustrated Prose Novel

The Dan Slott Amazing Spider-Man OHCs come in thick and fast, with two in this quarter. Though you may be miffed if you picked up the Spider-Verse OHC and you’ll be picking up one of these for four extra issues worth. Captain America White joins them too, matching the previous Loeb/Sale colour volumes.

We also get a Complete Christopher Priest Black Panther Vol 3 TPB – but it misses out the Black & White storyline.

Punisher’s appearance in Daredevil, season 2, is driving TPB collections of his Garth Ennis MAX series, with two Complete Collection volumes, collection Born #1-4 and Punisher #1-12 and then Punisher #13-#30

There is also a Punisher Vs. Marvel Universe TPB collecting Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe, Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 161-162, Heroes For Hire (1997) 9, Punisher (2001) 33-37, Punisher War Zone (2012) 1-5, Marvel Universe Vs. Punisher 1-4

The Gaiman/Buckingham Miracleman collection is priced lower that the Moore/Leach/Davis/Austen/Veitch/Totleben volumes…. only $25 for six issues. Hmmm.

The Luke Cage nineties series gets finished off, ahead of the Netflix show. As does the Gambit nineties series too. He’s got a film as well.

Thanks to the Ms Marvel HC Vol 2 listing, it looks like she’s getting an Annual soon.

While the X-Men Age of Apocalypse Dawn volume is everything that wasn’t in the Omnibus – aside from X-Universe which still gets missed out.I think Scott Lobdell should take it personally.

No Fantastic Four collections though. No more new Fantastic Four to collect and they are leaving the old ones alone now… and the X-Men don’t even get their own section in the catalogue index anymore. Aww….

Oh and Masterworks? We have…

The Sub-Mariner Vol. 7 HC Sub-Mariner (1968) 50-60

Daredevil Vol. 10 HC Daredevil (1964) 97-107; Avengers (1963) 111

The Champions Vol. 1 HC Champions (1975) 1-17; Iron Man Annual (1970) 4; Avengers (1963) 163; Super-Villain Team-Up (1975) 14; Spectacular Spider-Man (1976) 17-18, Hulk Annual 7

The Mighty Thor Vol. 15 HC Thor (1966) 242-254, Annual (1966) 5, Marvel Spotlight (1971) 30 and material from Marvel Treasury Edition (1974) 10

And to match the Wolverine Adamantium Collection, Captain America gets a Vibranium Collection, collecting in oversized hardcover Captain America 169-175, 255 and 445-448; Captain America 8-9 and #11-14; All-New Captain America 1-6 — plus material from Captain America Comics 1-2, 7 and 10; Captain America 76-78; Tales Of Suspense 72-74 and 92-94 and Captain America 357-362

And in the Epic line of thick colour collections we have

Daredevil Epic Collection: A Touch Of Typhoid TPB collecting Daredevil (1964) 253-270,

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection: Return Of The Sinister Six TPB collecting Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 334-350 and the Spider-Man: Spirits Of The Earth OGN

Iron Man Epic Collection: Duel Of Iron TPB collecting: Iron Man (1968) 178-195, Iron Man Annual 6-7

Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The New Republic Vol. 2 TPB collecting Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Leader 1-3; Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron 1-16, Special;

material from Star Wars Tales 12, 23

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm are you going to respond to my post @zarius? LOL. :)

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099

Sorry about that buddy. Did'nt see it.

Yeah, I know you were'nt trying to put down people that worked in areas like the ones I mentioned...it's more a personal preference thing, you bring up good points about Peter being in this new position, hence why I said there was definite potential, it'd be naive of me to say there wasn't any just because it's not something that interests me. Time will definitely tell. Slott's proven political with some of his writing in the past, and the climate change thing is currently making headlines, so we can expect something concurrent there.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Could we change writers already, so i can read Spider-Man again?...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.