Spider-Man Collection Recommendations

#1 Posted by TheTrollDance (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Just seen a topic with a similar name, figured I should open one as well.

I've been a Spidey fan for years, though I don't own too many Spidey comic books (a lot of the books that I've read weren't mine). At long last, I'm starting a collection of Spider-Man TPBs/OHCs/whatnot, and would like to get some recommendations of Spidey story that you think every Spidey fan should read & own,.

Here's a list of stuff I'm planning on getting (gonna take a while to collect all of these though due to those big price tags on omnibuses ), please tell me what you think about these books:

-Maximum Carnage TPB ('94 print) (read it before and really liked it, would like to own it & re-read it)

-Spider-Man: The Other - Evolve or Die ( same as Maximum Carnage)

-Spider-Man: Big Time Ultimate Collection (same here, haven't read the .1 issue though)

-Spider-Man: Spider-Island TPB (haven't read it yet, I'd like to know what you think about it)

-Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus (I've only read most of the first story arc collected in this omnibus and I really like Ultimate Peter/Spider-Man)

-Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus - Todd McFarlane (though I have only read one of the issues collected in this omnibus, I heard it's really good and collects a lot of Spidey classics, such as Venom's first appearance. Also, I've been looking into McFarlane's art and liked it a lot)

-Amazing Spider-Man Pocketbooks: These are basically small TPBs, each about 200 pages long, collecting classic Amazing Spider-Man issues. It's published in the UK and it's a cheap way to read comic books. I have 7 of these and they're all great.

#2 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven's last hunt

The night Gwen Stacy died

Back in Black

#3 Posted by TheTrollDance (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Kraven's last hunt

Back in Black

I already have a "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" in TPB format, and read Kraven's Last Hunt (though I am planning on getting a personal copy... eventually). I haven't read Back in Black, mind telling me what it's about? I remember reading somewhere that this story arc takes place after Pete's unmasking during Civil War, and during the story Peter goes all out in a battle against Kingpin, could be wrong though. Is it any good?

#4 Edited by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

@jimthesurfer said:

Kraven's last hunt

Back in Black

I already have a "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" in TPB format, and read Kraven's Last Hunt (though I am planning on getting a personal copy... eventually). I haven't read Back in Black, mind telling me what it's about? I remember reading somewhere that this story arc takes place after Pete's unmasking during Civil War, and during the story Peter goes all out in a battle against Kingpin, could be wrong though. Is it any good?

I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure it's badass. It happens before OMD, but after Pete unmasked himself. I'm halfway through civil war, so I'll probably read it in following weeks or months.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.