Spider Man Article about brnad new day contraversy

#1 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought you guys might enjoy it:

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/story/_a/comic-fans-fume-over-spidey-split/20080110084909990001

Comic Fans Fume Over Spidey Split

By David Colton,USA Today

Posted: 2008-01-10 11:42:44

Filed Under: Celebrity Splitsville

(Jan. 10) - Those who know Spider-Man only from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst in the movies might be surprised to learn that in the comic book, the web-spinning hero has been married for almost 21 years.

That's why the comic world is in an uproar over Marvel Comics' decision to undo the marriage of Peter Parker and red-haired bombshell Mary Jane Watson, reversing two decades of storytelling.

In Amazing Spider-Man #545 last week, Peter and Mary Jane make a tearful deal with the devil-like character Mephisto: In exchange for saving Aunt May's life, Mephisto erases all traces of the Peter-Mary Jane marriage from memory.

In the issue out this week, subtitled Brand New Day, Peter Parker returns to his roots - young, nerdy and single. Aunt May is alive and well and Mary Jane is again just part of the cast. The marriage never happened.

"People are very upset. They erased a lot of stuff that had been set in stone," says John Newman, manager of Ultimate Comics in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Wednesday as customers came in to buy the opening chapter of Brand New Day. To help emphasize the new start, Amazing Spider-Man will go thrice-monthly.

"We knew it would be a very controversial thing to do," says Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor in chief, who believed so much in the project that he drew the crucial issues himself. "Looking into the future, this is really the right thing to do for the long-term health of the character."

Spider-Man, created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, was a hit, connecting with young readers because he was a geeky teenager, shy with girls and uncertain of how to use his powers. But in 1987, Peter and Mary Jane, by then a fashion model, got married. Marvel had instant regrets.

"I remember editors and editors in chief lamenting that a married Spider-Man was not where we want to be," Quesada says. "A married Peter Parker makes for a less interesting soap opera than a single Peter Parker going about his nerdy kind of life."

Writers tried everything: The couple separated for a while. She miscarried. And in a much-criticized story line, Marvel tried to convince readers that Peter Parker had not gotten married, but his clone. That didn't stick, either. Then Quesada took over and insisted the marriage just couldn't continue.

"Nobody wants to read about a married Spider-Man," says Craig Shutt, a columnist for Comics Buyers Guide. "But in the short run, it's a terrible idea. It disrespects the readers by saying everything they read is wrong."

At DC Comics, Superman is married to Lois Lane, disrupting that title's long-standing tensions. DC declined to comment for this story.

Quesada is steadfast that for Spider-Man, the move is the right one: "Ultimately we have to do this to keep this character fresh for this generation and generations to come."

Copyright 2007 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.

#2 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

just noticed the title is horrible misspelled, sorry i'm at work :)

#3 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

as a fan of spidey but not a reader... i dont think it sounds too bad... i like him not married...

#4 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

spiderman...ugh

#5 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i hate when they use stupid plot twists like this

#6 Posted by sonicmora (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

It's atrocious.

#7 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

who cares, he will get his memory back.

#8 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#9 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm lost for words, I want to shout at that guy for doing this. So what if Spiderman gets married? He's cool that way. You don't stay as a nerd forever and I know that better than anyone else. Look at me I started out as a nerd, a mild mannered kid who couldn't even tie a shoelace and so shy I couldn't even play a game at a carnival. Then when I entered High School I changed I found my place at the school band, I changed, I wasn't shy anymore I could ask the teachers anything, someone got in my way I fought back, I did a military camp with my fellow band members and finished with only minor injuries, I made it to the list of most likely to get the award for All Round Bandsmen.

#10 Posted by Kraven (517 posts) - - Show Bio

As many of my fellow viners already know, I hate everything about this.

Mary Jane was my favourite female character in comics. I'm married myself and I really related to their relationship.

Comics in general have few strong and positive examples of marriage. Peter & MJ's was one of those. No couple in love like that throws away their marriage for anything, especially in a deal with the devil. What's next? Reed Richards pimping out Sue to Dr. Doom?

If they had killed MJ off, I would have been disappointed but eventually accepted it. I would have even accepted erasing people's memories so that Peter's ID was made secret again. It would have been a cop-out, but tolerable. But instead, they had to screw with over two decades of continuity on their flagship title. We all might as well go to our long boxes, find every Spider-man title this side of issue #243 and throw them all away, because none of those stories happened. (at least as described in the books)

It makes no sense that "Peter still unmasked but people don't remember who's face it was." It was a news conference. It was taped and photographed. Peter originally unmasked because he was worried about making May & MJ fugitives with him if he rebelled against the registration act. In this new timeline he didn't have a wife to worry about and Aunt May didn't know his secret. So why would he have unmasked?

#11 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, every Spidey fan agrees that OMD was a ginormous, steaming, pile of the kind of shit you can only buy from manure farms wrapped up in the putrid filth of stupidity, but the question raised here is if it was good for the longevity of Spider-Man. On one hand, Marvel has betrayed many of its long-time fans and readers, and due to that, some/many may drop the comic and Spidey will lose popularity. On the other hand, many up-and-coming fans may find a married Spider-Man difficult to relate to, and being married limits the life progression of a character (can you imagine Spider-Man going through a mid-life crisis?).

Personally, I believe that there aren't enough married super-heroes for older fans to relate to, (especially in Marvel) and as long as Ultimate Spider-Man is going strong they can handle the younger readers.

#12 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio
"People are very upset. They erased a lot of stuff that had been set in stone," says John Newman, manager of Ultimate Comics in Chapel Hill, N.C.

No sh!t...

"We knew it would be a very controversial thing to do," says Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor in chief, who believed so much in the project that he drew the crucial issues himself. "Looking into the future, this is really the right thing to do for the long-term health of the character."

Oh really? That's not a good reason to undo something that good.

But in 1987, Peter and Mary Jane, by then a fashion model, got married. **Marvel had instant regrets.**

Yeah, right. It made Spidey more popular, IMO.

"I remember editors and editors in chief lamenting that a married Spider-Man was not where we want to be," Quesada says. "A married Peter Parker makes for a less interesting soap opera than a single Peter Parker going about his nerdy kind of life."

Those editors are idiots. And, if they didn't want a married Spider-Man, why did it take them 21 years to figure that out?

Then Quesada took over and insisted the marriage just couldn't continue.

He can go die in a box.

"Nobody wants to read about a married Spider-Man,"

This guy's an idiot, too!

"But in the short run, it's a terrible idea. It disrespects the readers by saying everything they read is wrong," says Craig Shutt, a columnist for Comics Buyers Guide.

Amen to that. It's very disrepectful to what we have been keeping up with.

At DC Comics, Superman is married to Lois Lane, disrupting that title's long-standing tensions. DC declined to comment for this story.

And they have a very good reason for not making a comment. They aren't as stupid as Marvel is right now.

Quesada is steadfast that for Spider-Man, the move is the right one: "Ultimately we have to do this to keep this character fresh for this generation and generations to come."

That's what Ultimate Spider-Man is for! Clearly, he's an idiot!

#13 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

God, who says I don't want to read about a married Spider-Man? Why are these people assuming this?

Almost every word spoken in that article was crap!

#14 Posted by Copy (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell do they think we hated spidy being with Mj? I LOVED IT! Yes, I loved spidy being a nerdy teenager but in life (even comic life) you have to grow up! Now that I read it, its just sad. The stories where Mj was gone (like they said) Were all good. And now that I know they were trying to get rid of it is really sad. And they are still trying to get them away from each other? After all the failed attempts? Talk about not knowing when to quit.

#15 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to this article, I lost a large amount of respect for Marvel......

If Quesada's words are true (they've hated them since the very beginning? All of the writers just assumed that everyone hated it too? WTF?) then they really are just stupid. I don't think I can elaborate. It's that simple. Idiocy.

Quesada, it's not about what you want.....it's about what the fans want. Try and please your customer, not p!ss them off.

#16 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's pretty obvious, that Quesada, being the editor-in-chief would eventually do something to Spider-Man's history. He had the power and he didn't like the marriage. Simple dimple.

#17 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Invisible says:

"I think it's pretty obvious, that Quesada, being the editor-in-chief would eventually do something to Spider-Man's history. He had the power and he didn't like the marriage. Simple dimple."

It's like he was corrupt. P!sses me off. Where's Stan when you need him....

#18 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Knightwing says:

"I'm lost for words, I want to shout at that guy for doing this. So what if Spiderman gets married? He's cool that way. You don't stay as a nerd forever and I know that better than anyone else. Look at me I started out as a nerd, a mild mannered kid who couldn't even tie a shoelace and so shy I couldn't even play a game at a carnival. Then when I entered High School I changed I found my place at the school band, I changed, I wasn't shy anymore I could ask the teachers anything, someone got in my way I fought back, I did a military camp with my fellow band members and finished with only minor injuries, I made it to the list of most likely to get the award for All Round Bandsmen. "

its hard to feel your pain... i exude cool... had it since i was a kid... good work coming out of your nerdness though... ;p

#19 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"Ms. Invisible says:
"I think it's pretty obvious, that Quesada, being the editor-in-chief would eventually do something to Spider-Man's history. He had the power and he didn't like the marriage. Simple dimple."
It's like he was corrupt. P!sses me off. Where's Stan when you need him...."

"who a wants to be a superhero" of course

#20 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"Sparda says:
"Ms. Invisible says:
It's like he was corrupt. P!sses me off. Where's Stan when you need him...."

"who a wants to be a superhero" of course"

DARN IT!

#21 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems to me like Quesada wants to make a name for himself, get himself remembered, ya know? I mean just because you personally dont like something about a character doesnt mean you change it. you have to think about the overall effect, he doesnt seem to be doing that

#22 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

J Rex says:

"it seems to me like Quesada wants to make a name for himself, get himself remembered, ya know? I mean just because you personally dont like something about a character doesnt mean you change it. you have to think about the overall effect, he doesnt seem to be doing that"

A lot of people are going, "What was he thinking?!"

#23 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

J Rex says:

""

LMAO

#24 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

haha but he did get people talking though

#25 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to get rid of Mary Jane why don't you oh, I don't know. SHOOT HER YOU FCKING SHTHEAD!!!

#27 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Sparda says:

"J Rex says:
""

LMAO"

i'm glad you like it :) it was quick and dirty to make but fitting

#28 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine, ignore me then. Guess I'll join the bandwagon...AHEM...DIE QUESADA DIE! YOU HEAR ME? FCK YOU! YOU'RE NOT SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN JUST IGNORE EVERYONE ELSE AND CHANGE SPIDER-MAN HISTORY AT A WHIM! HE'S BIGGER THAN YOU, HE'S SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU WILL EVER DREAM OF BEING, SO KINDLY REMOVE THE STICK FROM YOUR @SS, FCK OFF AND GO TO HELL!!!!!!!

How was that?

#29 Posted by J Rex (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"Fine, ignore me then. Guess I'll join the bandwagon...AHEM...DIE QUESADA DIE! YOU HEAR ME? FCK YOU! YOU'RE NOT SO IMPORTANT THAT YOU CAN JUST IGNORE EVERYONE ELSE AND CHANGE SPIDER-MAN HISTORY AT A WHIM! HE'S BIGGER THAN YOU, HE'S SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU WILL EVER DREAM OF BEING, SO KINDLY REMOVE THE STICK FROM YOUR @SS, FCK OFF AND GO TO HELL!!!!!!!How was that?"

haha you werent ignored

#30 Posted by Ghost Of Night (8 posts) - - Show Bio

lol that's perfect...There are gonna be plenty of ppl who dislike this and might leave spidey comics cuz of this

#31 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how old Peter is now. He's graduated from Empire Sate University, so that outs him at around 24 or 25 but since he is back to being shy around girls, still single and a virgin he's probably younger. It would be silly if he is shy around girls at 25.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.