Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider Man and Webbing

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay, so I got into this discussion with someone on Spider Man, and he told me he thought that it was stupid that Peter could not create his own webs since he was SPIDER Man, and said web shooters are stupid because he needs to refill them every so often

I told him that while natural webs sound practical, it makes Peter less versatile for is he beeds to modify his webbing to either stick to anti-stick surfaces, or be able to wrap up Hydro Man or another particularly elusive villain, know what I mean? But then...I got this response, "Well if Spidey needs to do all that, he can just inject the chemics into his veins and have it mix with his webs until it does what he needs." Not a direct quote, but the gist. I could really only cringe when I heard that.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Okay, so I got into this discussion with someone on Spider Man, and he told me he thought that it was stupid that Peter could not create his own webs since he was SPIDER Man, and said web shooters are stupid because he needs to refill them every so often

I told him that while natural webs sound practical, it makes Peter less versatile for is he beeds to modify his webbing to either stick to anti-stick surfaces, or be able to wrap up Hydro Man or another particularly elusive villain, know what I mean? But then...I got this response, "Well if Spidey needs to do all that, he can just inject the chemicals into his veins and have it mix with his webs until it does what he needs." Not a direct quote, but the gist. I could really only cringe when I heard that.

That make me cringe as well. But an way while it does seem more practical, the reason he doesn't have organic webbing, not an exact quote but its just about what Stan Lee said "I wanted to be able to throw him in a situation and he runs out of web fluid and be like 'oh crap!'. He is no Superman who can just fly away"

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the webs would realistically come out of his butt if he was a real spider

Avatar image for thegenericmister
    thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thegenericmister

Wouldn't he just get blood poisoning if he did that?

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well with the organic webshooters, where would they come out of? a pin sized hole in his wrist, and where would they come out of of the glove? Another pin sized hole. Now I don't know about you guys, but when I wear clothes the fabric moves...how are you going to line up 2 pin sized holes with each other without making the fabric move? His gloves would fill up every time, if he goes glove-less then his finger prints are all over town.

Plus I hated how when he got his upgraded powers, his webbing conveniently came out of the same spot where they used to when he had web shooters. Plus I like his web shooters, he modified them to do different things when he needs them too.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PCN24454

Did everyone forget the Spider-Man trilogy where he had organic normal shooters?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about them? I never saw Peter injecting chemicals into his bloodstream to alter the web properties.

Sky_Pirate2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sky_Pirate2

Even with organic web, he'd have a limited supply, as there's no way that his body could produce and store enough "web fluid" in his arms, for extensive usage. When he'd run out, his body would need a while to recover and have a chance to produce more (Wikipedia states that spider silk is a protein fiber. So, if Peter's low on protein, he wouldn't be able to produce organic web).

The big difference between web shooters and organic web, is that Peter would know how much he's got (if he's down to his last cartridge, he knows it's time, to stop web-swinging, to preserve the web). If the web shooters run out (while he's web swinging), he'd have a chance to reload, before hitting the pavement. But, with organic web, he'd never know how much is left (remember, the more he use, to faster it runs out) and if he'd run out, he'd have mere seconds left to live.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The web shooters are a lot more interesting and logical. Organic webbing was cool but it seemed pointless. With his web shooters, it allowed Peter to prove his brilliance by crafting several different variations of the webbing to attribute to the numerous situations he had to encounter and overcome.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Or mouth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sky_pirate2: The organ that produces spider silk, could fill up very quickly. Man has saliva and seminal fluid, both of which fills up on by supplied food. Spider Man's body would do that only much faster; he could also have another organ that can store excessive supplied food energy (humans stores excess energy in form of body fat. A person with sufficient amount of body fat has an energy reserve). Thus, the energy would yield a steady supply for silk production. People feel when they are hungry, they even realize if they have too little blood. Spider-Man could have a feel for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd:

Spider-Man could have the ability to extend his spinnerets, then they would be higher; there are several options
    Spider-Man could have the ability to extend his spinnerets, then they would be higher; there are several options

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By w0nd

@zardu: I don't know what you mean by that to be honest. If you mean extend them high, through the fabric, from what we have seen they come out of holes in his gloves, and as you know fabric shifts and moves around the body, even skin tight clothes...., the holes would never be in the spot where his spinnerets are and those he would be filling up his gloves with web. even extending them wouldn't help, the movie had clear shots of where the web come from in and out of costume.

Obviously this is not a big deal because he is a cartoon character

and you are right about spider-man having a feel for when his web would run out, I assume he would, but sometimes the fights go on and on and on, or shiet happens. It would be the symbiote situation all over again, the more he uses the weaker it gets, he could over use it. If he wasn't a super hero this would be fine but he doesn't have the luxury of time being on his side.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@zardu: I don't know what you mean by that to be honest. If you mean extend them high, through the fabric, from what we have seen they come out of holes in his gloves, and as you know fabric shifts and moves around the body, even skin tight clothes...., the holes would never be in the spot where his spinnerets are and those he would be filling up his gloves with web. even extending them wouldn't help, the movie had clear shots of where the web come from in and out of costume.

Obviously this is not a big deal because he is a cartoon character

and you are right about spider-man having a feel for when his web would run out, I assume he would, but sometimes the fights go on and on and on, or shiet happens. It would be the symbiote situation all over again, the more he uses the weaker it gets, he could over use it. If he wasn't a super hero this would be fine but he doesn't have the luxury of time being on his side.

I meant that where the spinnerets extend is no fabric. The spinnerets must extend high enough. And then the hand is stretched down, Spidey has a clear line of fire. In my opinion Spider Man should wear no suit, but he must have the ability to enhance his skin. This skin could be his suit (and his mask could be made of spider silk). Then all problems would be solved. See my thread:

http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/4005-1443/forums/how-about-a-new-spider-man-1466850/#7

That's what happens when dealing with superheroes :-)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu: Oh I see now my mistake. Well if his glove was designed the way it is in the picture then that works, but like i said it's a cartoon character so I am forgiving of these things :P but in my opinion I just prefer the webshooters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: One question: How can Spider-Man hold or grab something or fight when the triggers are in the palms?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zardu said:

@w0nd said:

@zardu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AncyC_sag7o

4:41

this should answer your question :)

Hm, I don´t know :-)

"... by the slightest pressure", that could be a problem ;-)

yeah but they retconned it later on to be the pressure of those two fingers...I'm going by the later of the two since it would be more updated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@zardu said:

@w0nd said:

@zardu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AncyC_sag7o

4:41

this should answer your question :)

Hm, I don´t know :-)

"... by the slightest pressure", that could be a problem ;-)

yeah but they retconned it later on to be the pressure of those two fingers...I'm going by the later of the two since it would be more updated.

Well, if there is a fingertip recognition, then that would be something else.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

I actually saw that in a Saturday morning breakfast cereal-comic. It`s a web comic, if you didn`t know.

Interesting.....didn't know.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.