Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man and... Web Pits?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I dunno but... I always liked them. Just adds a little something extra. I mean a cape is a little out of place on Spidey, but? The web pits work and could even be given a practical reason. Like they can double as a gliding apparatus for if he runs out of web fluid and is up really high. I honestly think think that it's one of those inconsistent costume pieces that should be used more. It's like the s-shield on the back of Superman's cape. Sometimes they use it... Sometimes they don't. I still like it there though.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I always liked it too. It is kinda liked Spidey's version of a cape.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring the pits back.

Beata

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
    AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was always a fan of the web pits. They weren't flashy or in your face, it just felt like a nice and natural accessory to the costume. I wouldn't mind seeing them implemented more in the future.

Darksideous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like he will have web pits.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

i like the web pits too :) (and Superman's cape shield)

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're soooo cool!
    I don't mind him not having them, but I'm glad they're back! :D

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

It depends on how they're drawn. In older comics, they were really large and looked really bad, but later on artists started shrinking it down, and some later removed them. I don't mind them as long as they're small, because they don't really have any practical reason and I don't really understand how Peter puts them there? Does he web up his arm-pits? That's so weird. And the webbing should vaporize in an hour right? So shouldn't they disappear? And if they do, does it really matter? I just find it hard to believe that Peter actually webs up his arm pits every time he puts the suit on, and for no reason other than "it looks cool"..which it doesn't in my opinion.

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By oldwasher

@anjales: I agree with this. I like the web pits as long as they're small and drawn well. Unfortunately most artists I've seen have not drawn them really well. I also have not really seen them used for any really practical reason so most of the time they almost have no reason to be there

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like them and I am glad they have been brought back for Peters ANAD Spider-man costume.

Draviex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Anjales. I liked Steve Ditko's art(especially during "If This Be My Destiny"), but I wasn't really hooked onto the pits back then. The way he drew them was kinda weird and super expanded. I liked the way Jack Kirby did it for the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover. It didn't look overwhelming and seemed appropriate size for Peter's costume.

Steve Ditko Web Pits
    Steve Ditko Web Pits
    Jack Kirby's Cover
    Jack Kirby's Cover

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.