Spider-man and Martial Arts

#1 Posted by Strider92 (16242 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know Spidey underwent training with Shang Chi after losing his Spider-sense:

He demonstrated his knowledge of it during Spider-island:

Am I the only one who thinks its a shame they've basically dropped this side of Spider-man?

Apart from that one showing during Spider-island I haven't seen him use it. Also I haven't noticed a big improvement in his general fighting style either which is odd as I would have thought this training would have helped.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12675 posts) - - Show Bio

He has super strength and agility already.....does he really need it??

#3 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: It might not be completey gone yet

"Danger Zone" is the Hobgoblin story, Slott mentioned this at the Chicago Comic Con. Said it's a three-part story that's the conclusion of the sub-plot about Kingpin acquiring those Spider-Jammers waaaay back in the Vulture two-parter(and will apparently be picked up again in the Lizard story coming soon, going by the solicits). He said Spidey is gonna have to use his Spider-Fu to fight off the Kingpin's ninjas AND his personal bodyguard, The Hobgoblin. He also said there's a BIG status quo change for Phil Urich in that one.

They haven't announced the artist(I love all three ^_^), but I imagine Stefano Caselli will be the one to do it, just going by the rotation schedule. If there's one thing Stefano can draw, it's ninja/kung fu fight scenes. Plus, we haven't seen his version of the Hobgoblin yet, so I'm excited about that.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?408356-A-MAJOR-Change-in-the-status-quo-of-Phil-Urich-quot-Hobgoblin-quot/page3

#4 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

If superman learns boxing from muhhamad ali and wildcat then spidey can learn kung fu from shang chi, and he should not forget

#5 Posted by Strider92 (16242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate: That's good news. I'm glad they haven't pushed his training under the rug.

#6 Posted by KillerZ (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: It couldn't fit there anymore, there are piles of stuff under the rug.

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16242 posts) - - Show Bio

@KillerZ: Sad but true.....

#8 Edited by NEEK_03 (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

@KillerZ said:

@Strider92: It couldn't fit there anymore, there are piles of stuff under the rug.

HAHAH seriously, but i like him having the training. it only makes him better.

#9 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, I think that he should still use it when he's in a fix as a sort of secret weapon against his normal enemies.

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12882 posts) - - Show Bio

Hong kong Spidey....number 1 super guy!!!!!! Sorry.......I just had to say it once.

#11 Posted by Strider92 (16242 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like I spoke to soon lol:

Good to see Slott hasn't forgotten. I hope we'll see more of this kind of fighting in the future.

#12 Posted by VenomousDragon (847 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Peter only uses it when he feels he has too, at the end of the day is still probably more comfortable with his old fighting style.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.