Spider-man #700 - Where to start??

#1 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Where would be a good place to start to get on broad with Amazing Spider-Man so I can catch upo and enjoy #700?

Can anyone recommend a jump on issue that would allow me to get up to speed without having to read like 100 issues?

Stalks

#2 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Big time, ive heard

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I started 698

#4 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio

So that's issue #648 right? So 52 issues, I don't want to sound lazy but anything a little bit closer, I guess if 700 will benefit from it then #648 id the place to start.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Stormbox

#5 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

If thats the case, ive heard 698 is a good jumping on point (although it has a big shocker)

Take my recommendations with a grain of salt though, because i dont read spider-man

#6 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio

is that right? do you feel like you're up to speed or loads of references to other stuff?

#7 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

You could pick up the ends of the earth trade, its pretty good and focuses on Doc Ock

#8 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL thanks for the honesty StormBox I'll wait to hear if anyone else chimes in first.

#9 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@stalkio said:

is that right? do you feel like you're up to speed or loads of references to other stuff?

Actually, I feel the opposite. But I made by with general comic knowledge (Mj and Peter are de-married, Peter works for Horizon, Spider-Man is an Avenger, etc). Its the first Spider-Man comic I've ever read I'm lucky. I'm there weren't any huge links to past issues that made understanding it impossible.

#11 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@stalkio: Yeah its this run its Dan Slott it was just out a couple months ago. Think it was 682-688 or something. Its collected in trade if you wanna get a feel for the series before 700 its a good place to dive in, as long as you know some general stuff about Spiderman and the sinister 6 villains you'll be good.

#12 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Issue 692

#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider Island is a great jumping on point

#14 Posted by Strider92 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio

I would suggest starting at Grim Hunt. It sets the stage for Spider Island and explains how the characters get to where they are in the current comics.

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Big Time is a great place to start. It's where I plan to catch up once I get the trade this Christmas

#16 Posted by tomlikesfries (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Island or Ends of Earth.

#17 Posted by nickzambuto (14126 posts) - - Show Bio

@stalkio said:

Where would be a good place to start to get on broad with Amazing Spider-Man so I can catch upo and enjoy #700?

Can anyone recommend a jump on issue that would allow me to get up to speed without having to read like 100 issues?

Stalks

I started reading at Spider-Island and I'm doing fine.

If you're not up to 30- or so issues though, Ends of the Earth is your best bet.

#18 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Ends of the Earth

#19 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think you should be hesitant to start back at Big Time. As a fan of Batman, I can safely say that I've enjoyed Dan Slott's run just as much as The Long Halloween or The Court of Owls--probably even more! I'm jumping on right now as well, and all I'm worried about is the money. However, I did just look at my local library and they have every Dan Slott trade up to and including Spider-Island. They even have all three volumes of Brand New Day!

#20 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

I don't think you should be hesitant to start back at Big Time. As a fan of Batman, I can safely say that I've enjoyed Dan Slott's run just as much as The Long Halloween or The Court of Owls--probably even more! I'm jumping on right now as well, and all I'm worried about is the money. However, I did just look at my local library and they have every Dan Slott trade up to and including Spider-Island. They even have all three volumes of Brand New Day!

Wish my library was like that!

#21 Edited by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@InfamousFish: Yeah, I didn't even realize until after I bought Big Time and The Fantastic Spider-man. They also have a lot of Spider-man before Brand New Day (the entire clone saga), several volumes of Ultimate Spider-man, a few Age of Apocalypse volumes, lots of great Batman trades: the works!

#22 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

@InfamousFish: Yeah, I didn't even realize until after I bought Big Time and The Fantastic Spider-man. They also have a lot of Spider-man before Brand New Day (the entire clone saga), several volumes of Ultimate Spider-man, a few Age of Apocalypse volumes, lots of great Batman trades: the works!

I would love to read the clone saga. My library doesn't even have comics.

#23 Posted by Samturner14 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I'm getting Big Time, Matters of life and Death and the Fantastic spiderman for Christmas and will be getting trades from there on, but I really wanna catch up with digital comics before #700 hits stores. Could I start at #692 or #682? Thanks!

#24 Posted by stalkio (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Cheers guys, I'm going to go with spider-island I think and just invest a little time and money, if something is worth and all that!

Thanks again for all the great advice.

#25 Posted by Bokkie (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I would start at the Spider Island arc if I was you. Since it's mentioned in the 699 issue as well.

#26 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

I jumped on reading from #627. @Samturner14 said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I'm getting Big Time, Matters of life and Death and the Fantastic spiderman for Christmas and will be getting trades from there on, but I really wanna catch up with digital comics before #700 hits stores. Could I start at #692 or #682? Thanks!

Yea, start from Ends of the Earth or a little before that and you'll be good.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33902 posts) - - Show Bio

@stalkio: You really should start with Big Time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.