Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-man #4 Spoilers discussion on character ethnicity

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the new character that has Spider-man's powers (but better in almost every way) is Cindy Moon. My question for discussion is if Cindy Moon is Asian, Korean.

Every Moon surname I have ever ran into my whole life has been a Korean decent. She is drawn with Asian like eyes as well. If you are wondering, many Koreans are also tan in color, they're not all milk white like most Northern Asians.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm good with saying that she's Korean until someone at Marvel says otherwise

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I just read it, such a terrible book.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

At least Slott, for all his mediocrity as a Spider-Man writer, is creating a new Spider-Man related character that's female, of a possible different race and has Peter's powers. THAT'S how you make new diverse characters that connect to iconic superheroes without shoehorning in a new character into a definitive superhero's role (looking at you Jason Aaron.)

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Slott has redeemed himself slightly by acknowledging that JMS's storyline actually happened as that story was awesome and everyone seemed to want to bury it!

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: @strider92: lvenger, I agree completely.

Strider92, I also have to agree with you. It seems she has embraced "the other" power set so all her stats seem to be better than his.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@slimj87d: Yeah, ant the organic webbing from her fingers was cool! Hopefully Spider-Verse will give all the Spider characters an upgrade so they can take on Morlun.

@strider92: Yes, I know! I'm so glad we're getting Morlun back!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

Strider92, I also have to agree with you. It seems she has embraced "the other" power set so all her stats seem to be better than his.

I was wondering how you could agree with us both when Strider and I have different POVs on the book but now I see you're agreeing with the individual points we both made.

Also does this Silk character embrace The Other side of her Spider powers like Kaine does, technically making her more powerful than Peter?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strider1992

@slimj87d said:

Well from what I could gather Peter said she was faster. The Other did make him faster. Her spider-sense is supposedly better. The Other did make Spider-man's spider-sense better. So all the signs are there.

However Peter also noted that he was stronger than her despite the fact that with the Other boost he was packing over 25tons of raw power. My guess is that while it was said her spider-sense was better this was never actually proven he just said "but her spider-sense? no contest. This is some Matrix type bullet timing" from that statement I would draw that it is more than likely that as she is just that much faster than Pete that she reacts faster to her spider-sense not that her spider-sense is actually stronger or better in anyway.

The most likely explanation is that the spider-bite mutated her a bit differently based on the fact shes a woman. She wasn't as strong as Pete and given how men are naturally stronger than women this isn't really surprising. I know she has organic webbing too but that was never an upgrade Peter received from the Other he got that from the Queen during Dissassembled. Even Kaine got his organic webbing from the experiment that the Jackal performed on him to turn him into Tarantula as he didn't merge with the other until about 13 issues in. Thus this would lead me to believe the propencity for organic webbing is in Peter and Kaine just not naturally available until an outside influence pulls it out.

So to sum it up no I don't think she has the Other amp its just as she is female the effects of the bite differed in order to compensate for her different physicality which would also explain why she has natural webbing and Pete/Kaine didn't.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: As always, you speak a lot of sense on Spider-Man matters Strider. If Silk had been completely given over to The Other, she would, or should be flat out stronger than Peter. If she's not stronger than Peter, she can't have the full abilities of The Other. Hence, it sounds more probable that the Spider bite mutated her different abilities due to her being a woman.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: I didn't expect it that quick but as soon as he said "My spider-sense is drawing me to her" I was like "Yeah.....I see where this is headed".

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Oh god I knew Slott would go for that cliche. Maybe she has some kinda female Black Widow spider pheromone power or something like that.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: I'll agree its cliche but does make a bit of sense. Morlun referred to her as the "spider-bride" which is probably to do with their connection to the Other. As the Other always needs an avatar it would make sense for it to create the perfect "mate" for the avatar to pass on its genes and reproduce gauranteing a centre to the web every generation. I know Kaine is currently the avatar but he was not the Other's first choice it had to settle for Kaine when Peter rejected it. It also draws a parallel in real life spiders like wolf spiders and some tarantulas who take ages to find a mate but then pair for life when they do.

This whole spider-sense attraction thing is probably the Other's way of saying "You guys were literally made for each now kiss god damn it!"

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: So she might have something to do with The Other now? That doesn't account for her lesser superhuman strength compared to Peter though. But with the Avatar passing on genes and all that, you do make a logical point that the Other would want to pass on its genes to the next generation. Just like every organism in the evolutionary process lives for the sole purpose of moving its genes to the next generation.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: What I said was Silk wasn't being amped by the Other not that she wasn't connected at all. Given what we've seen of Spider-verse all the Spider are just not all of them are amped. Look how long Pete was Spider-man before the Other tried to amp him.

Ezekiel as well was connected to the Other but he was never amped hence why he and Pete were reasonably matched prior to the Other amping Pete.

What I meant was that the bite mutated her differently from Peter initially due to her female physicality thus her powerset differs slightly and she's probably still in her "infant phase" ie: the phase Pete was in prior to his death, as both Pete and Kaine had to die before gaining the Other amp and given that she was locked in a bunker for 13 years that's unlikely to have happened.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: So she isn't connected to The Other yet and has just been mutated by the Spider Bite? And that bite affected her differently due to her female human physiology differing from Peter's male physiology? Apologies for repeating myself, just trying to clarify what you're saying.

@lvenger: @strider92: Cliche or not, if slott develops this in a good way I will be more than on board with it. And yeah, The spider-bride comment kind of gave it away, but still, it happened a bit too soon.

Either ways, this can be cool, I'm tired of everyone Judging peter, it's time someone appreciated him. My only concern is that I don't trust slott to make a genuinely interesting concept work.

Do you think Slott can develop it in a good way then? And how's this new series been btw? I haven't really been reading it and I only just caught up with events recently.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Strider1992

@lvenger: basically yes. When he died the other said something lines of "your powers are something that a child would enjoy and like a child you were scared to push the limits of them embrace us and we'll show you what you're capable of". After the ressurection Pete was basically Spider-man on crack with a few extra powers. The way I read it Spider-man has been through 3 phases:

Phase 1: Peter from his creation all the way up to the "Evolve or Die" arc ie: the powerset given to him by the spider bite which was insinuated by the Other to be the infant/larva phase. Whether you want to believe the Other gave him this power set too or that it was a mutation from the spider-bite is up to you as its left open to interpretation.

Phase 2: Post his death and granted full access to the Other powerset and amped to his physical peak ie: the adult phase.

Phase 3: current Spider-man who is repressing the Other and thus is unable to use the Other power set. Basically he's back in phase 1.

I think the Silk is still in phase 1 but her infant power set is just a bit different from Pete's due to the natural difference in physicals between men and women. Ie: her being faster but him being stronger.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Master_Thief

OH MY GOD PETER IMBRACE THE OTHER!!!!

and don't you think that last panel with silk angry looks kinda like jackal

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

eh

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Interesting, then Silk may well become more powerful than Spider-Man over time and if she accepts The Other. I hear she will play a big role in Spider Verse so that could be Slott's chance to make that development. Thanks for the info Strider, you've clarified things a great deal.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Well to be fair that is just my interpretation. I could be completely wrong and Slott will throw a curve-ball but thats the only theory that I can think of that makes sense to me.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Well to be fair that is just my interpretation. I could be completely wrong and Slott will throw a curve-ball but thats the only theory that I can think of that makes sense to me.

It sounds like it makes the most sense with what Slott has written thus far as well as what JMS did with The Other/mystical Spider-Man arc.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Just going off topic a little bit have you tried out the new Spider-man 2099 series?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Just going off topic a little bit have you tried out the new Spider-man 2099 series?

I have not yet. There hasn't been too much hype about it but I should have figured that a 2099 fanboy like you would like it ;) Is it a good series?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Bezza

Slott has redeemed himself slightly by acknowledging that JMS's storyline actually happened as that story was awesome and everyone seemed to want to bury it!

I liked the references to the JMS storyline, gives it a continuity of sorts that DC cant have since the New 52 re-booted everything.

People have strong opinions on Slott, I am guessing he is another marmite writer. I don't think I have read enough of his Spiderman work to really judge yet. Some of what I've read I have liked, other stuff, a bit meh.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm good with saying that she's Korean until someone at Marvel says otherwise

Same here. I think all the visual cues are there, not just because of the last name.

I don't know how I feel about this new character. I had been looking forward to meeting her for a while and for some reason, I felt underwhelmed. Having her imprisoned (that's what she was) for over a decade is maybe a little too pat a direction to explain the lack of knowledge about her. Her suddenly swinging away doesn't make sense either, all happy and carefree. I would have thought she would be a lot more inhibited, afraid and disoriented.

I don't want to come down too hard on Silk. It's all brand new and I believe all new things deserve a fighting chance. Getting it on with Petey at the end was just a little shocking, but not entirely. Pheromones, pheromones, pheromones. It has a bit of an ick factor too because again, this woman has spent the majority of her teen and young adult years cooped up. Not good.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So more and more news outlets confirm that Cindy Moon is Korean. Which is cool. I wonder if she'll slowly have her ethnicity changed over time though since she kind of does look a little Caucasian depending on artist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.